What puts more CO2 into the atmosphere cars or forest fires?

kyzr

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2009
The AL part of PA
Last year we were breathing Canada's forest fire smoke for months.

CA burns every year. Trees have significant mass. So when trees burn how many pounds of CO2 are created?

My question is, which pollutant is the bigger culprit, cars or forest fires?

It seems to me that we are focusing on cars too much and ignoring forest fires.

Working from home is a great idea that saves millions of pounds of CO2, so how many more great ideas are not being implemented?

Nuclear power? Fusion power? A nuclear blast cool down? Etc.

CA burns every year. Trees have significant mass. So when trees burn how many pounds of CO2 are created?

Working from home is a great idea that saves millions of pounds of CO2, so how many more great ideas are not being implemented?

Humans produce about 3.4% of carbon dioxide. Nature does all the rest. The Cult blames EVERYTHING on climate change and trillions of dollars have been wasted for NOTHING!

China and India have billions of poor people using coal to warm their homes and produce electricity, which we take for granted. Do you think they care about your environmental nonsense?

It literally took me all of 10 seconds to websearch for the answer.
---
Worldwide, wildfires in 2021 released about 1.8 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, compared to about 38 billion from fossil fuels and industry, according to Phys.org. That is less than 5 percent of total emissions.
---

It literally took me all of 10 seconds to websearch for the answer.
---
Worldwide, wildfires in 2021 released about 1.8 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, compared to about 38 billion from fossil fuels and industry, according to Phys.org. That is less than 5 percent of total emissions.
---
So the 38b tons is also from fossil fuel powerplants too, not just cars. Actually since the total CO2 production is 35b tons, your number looks suspect. As ChemE says above, Wasting $trillions for minimal reduction is stupid.

Going to more US nuclear powerplants and EVs won't make a dent in the total from China who is startoing up a new coal powerplant every week..

1719416685509.png

Kyzr, pay no attention to Leftists. They genuflect to Joe Biden and Al Gore, not reason, not facts, not common sense.
They have been brainwashed irrespective of the high IQ they pretend to have. The Unabomber was a genius and he had a well-worn copy of Al Gore's environmentalist book, Earth in the Balance, in his rathole cabin where he made package bombs to kill those he thought were promoting technology and despoiling the earth he was preserving all by himself.

Humans produce about 3.4% of carbon dioxide.
You're ignoring several factors of which any chemical engineer should be aware.

That 3.4% (if that's the actual value as you list no source) is the annual contribution.

CO2 has a lifetime in the atmosphere measured in centuries. Virtually every bit of CO2 put in the air since the Industrial Revolution is still there. CO2 we put in the air will be there probably past the year 2200. So it is cumulative

Human CO2 emissions have raised the atmospheric CO2 levels by 50%. One third of the CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere is of human origin. And this ignores an enormous amount of CO2 that has been dissolved into the Earth's oceans, increasing acidity and providing an enormous reservoir of CO2 that will outgas as temperatures rise further.
Nature does all the rest. The Cult blames EVERYTHING on climate change and trillions of dollars have been wasted for NOTHING!
Nature did it all for the past million years. Then we came on the scene and in 150 years increased it past anything seen in that million.
China and India have billions of poor people using coal to warm their homes and produce electricity, which we take for granted.
We do not take it for granted. Neither does the Chinese government. China's per capita emissions are significantly lower than the United States' and their expenditures towards converting to renewable energy and vehicle elecrification and dramatically higher than ours.
Do you think they care about your environmental nonsense?
What possible relevance does that have? You all seem want to justify your self-centered ignorance with jingoistic hostility.

If you're an engineer, apply what they taught you at school to this issue, not your tired anti-communist paranoia.

Forest fires don't add any carbon dioxide to the atmosphere ... every single carbon atom in a tree came from the atmosphere ... taking a bucketful of water out of a lake and pouring it back in doesn't increase the lake level ... take a tree's worth of CO2 out of the atmosphere, and then put the CO2 back in doesn't increase concentration ...

Burning fossil fuels is what's increasing the concentration today, we can measure this ... one form of radioactive carbon dating has been ruined for dating past 1796 because of the Oil Economy ...

Burning fossil fuels is what's increasing the concentration today, we can measure this ... one form of radioactive carbon dating has been ruined for dating past 1796 because of the Oil Economy ...
What are Fossil fuels? Meat decays. Fossils left are bones. Oil is the source of the wealth of nations. Wealth gets spread. It is a good thing to have wealth. Africa would be way better off if it had more wealth.

Suppose someone claimed that we are not running out of petroleum? Or that life on Earth began below the surface of our planet? Or that oil and gas are not "fossil fuels"? Or that if we find extraterrestrial life it is likely to be within, not on, other planets? You might expect to hear statements like these from an author of science fiction. But what if they came from a renowned physicist, an indisputably brilliant scientist who has been called "one of the world's most original minds"? In the The Deep Hot Biosphere, Thomas Gold sets forth truly controversial and astonishing theories about where oil and gas come from, and how they acquire their organic "signatures." The conclusions he reaches in this book might be at first difficult to believe, but they are supported by a growing body of evidence, and by the indisputabel stature and seriousness Gold brings to any scientific enterprise. In this book we see a brilliant and boldly orginal thinker, increasingly a rarity in modern science, as he developes a revolutionary new view about the fundamental workings of our planet.

Thomas Gold is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, a Fellow of the Royal Society, and an Emertius Professor at Cornell University. Regarded as one of the most creative and wide-ranging scientists of his generation, he has taughtat Cambridge University and Harvard, and for 20 years was the Director of the Cornell Center for Radiophysics and Space Research.

It's so much easier for Deep State to deflect Sheeple away from the truth by using the bogus Climate narrative allied to poor forest management practises , and and to label weather manipulation explanations as bogus and absurd conspiracy .

What are Fossil fuels? Meat decays. Fossils left are bones. Oil is the source of the wealth of nations. Wealth gets spread. It is a good thing to have wealth. Africa would be way better off if it had more wealth.

Suppose someone claimed that we are not running out of petroleum? Or that life on Earth began below the surface of our planet? Or that oil and gas are not "fossil fuels"? Or that if we find extraterrestrial life it is likely to be within, not on, other planets? You might expect to hear statements like these from an author of science fiction. But what if they came from a renowned physicist, an indisputably brilliant scientist who has been called "one of the world's most original minds"? In the The Deep Hot Biosphere, Thomas Gold sets forth truly controversial and astonishing theories about where oil and gas come from, and how they acquire their organic "signatures." The conclusions he reaches in this book might be at first difficult to believe, but they are supported by a growing body of evidence, and by the indisputabel stature and seriousness Gold brings to any scientific enterprise. In this book we see a brilliant and boldly orginal thinker, increasingly a rarity in modern science, as he developes a revolutionary new view about the fundamental workings of our planet.

Thomas Gold is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, a Fellow of the Royal Society, and an Emertius Professor at Cornell University. Regarded as one of the most creative and wide-ranging scientists of his generation, he has taughtat Cambridge University and Harvard, and for 20 years was the Director of the Cornell Center for Radiophysics and Space Research.

In this context ... fossil fuels are organic materials, mostly coal and hydrocarbons, for which all measurable radioactive decay has occurred ... and we find pure carbon-12 ...

Organic carbon in the biosphere is regularly respirated into carbon dioxide, circulated to the highest reaches of our atmosphere and get ZAPPED by radiation ... where carbon-12 is converted to carbon-14 and recycled into the biosphere again ... we can take a piece of papyrus paper and measure the carbon-14 levels and tell when the papyrus was last using photosynthesis ... and presumably when the paper was made and written upon ...

Because of fossil fuel burning, this specific technique can't be used for dating items made after 1796 ... however, there are other techniques that we can use for similar information ...

Meaning 280 ppm is natural ... the rest man-made ... we can measure this ...what are you measuring, or what do you believe Dr Gold is measuring? ...

In this context ... fossil fuels are organic materials, mostly coal and hydrocarbons, for which all measurable radioactive decay has occurred ... and we find pure carbon-12 ...

Organic carbon in the biosphere is regularly respirated into carbon dioxide, circulated to the highest reaches of our atmosphere and get ZAPPED by radiation ... where carbon-12 is converted to carbon-14 and recycled into the biosphere again ... we can take a piece of papyrus paper and measure the carbon-14 levels and tell when the papyrus was last using photosynthesis ... and presumably when the paper was made and written upon ...

Because of fossil fuel burning, this specific technique can't be used for dating items made after 1796 ... however, there are other techniques that we can use for similar information ...

Meaning 280 ppm is natural ... the rest man-made ... we can measure this ...what are you measuring, or what do you believe Dr Gold is measuring? ...
So you believe living organizations become coal when buried?

It's so much easier for Deep State to deflect Sheeple away from the truth by using the bogus Climate narrative allied to poor forest management practises , and and to label weather manipulation explanations as bogus and absurd conspiracy .
Poor forest management? Let me guess: not enough raking.

Both of these from Google AI

Nearly half a gigaton of carbon (or 1.76 billion tons of CO2) was released from burning boreal forests in North America and Eurasia in 2021, 150 percent higher than annual mean CO2 emissions between 2000 and 2020, the scientists reported in a paper in Science.

In 2021, humans added 36.3 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere from energy-related sources, which was the highest level ever recorded.

So, in 2021, humans released almost 21 times as much CO2 into the atmosphere as did the world's wildfires. And Reiny Days is correct that all that forest carbon originally came from the atmosphere.

That's a scientific theory ... I'm not a geologist so all I can do is repeat what I read ... lignin evolved, if you believe in that stuff ...
I will sum up why I believe oil is not a fossil at all by this explanation. I was a job superintendent over a BART job in San Francisco and the company VP gave me a task of understanding Bentonite used as drilling fluid by the oil industry. I used company money to buy the best book then available published by Gulf Oil. I learned how super deep some oil wells are and of course this caused me to question fossils as deep as 30,000 feet into earth. Golds book handled my concerns. Who the hell lives that deep into Earth? Gold explains that.

I will sum up why I believe oil is not a fossil at all by this explanation. I was a job superintendent over a BART job in San Francisco and the company VP gave me a task of understanding Bentonite used as drilling fluid by the oil industry. I used company money to buy the best book then available published by Gulf Oil. I learned how super deep some oil wells are and of course this caused me to question fossils as deep as 30,000 feet into earth. Golds book handled my concerns. Who the hell lives that deep into Earth? Gold explains that.

30,000 feet is within the biosphere ... dead things sink down to the bottom of the ocean ... maybe read a book on geology too ... it took me 15 seconds to learn the Earth's crust is 43 miles thick in some places ...

Wait a minute ... BART in San Francisco is built on recent land ... mid-Cretaceous 100 million years ago ... coal beds are far more ancient than even the dinosaurs, 360 million years ago ...

Do you believe lignin evolved? ...

=====

Does Dr Golds say how this aboriginal carbon avoided normal density distribution when the Earth was molten? ... most of the carbon would have floated up to the top surface along with silicon and aluminum, with iron sinking to the core ...

Is some still bubbling up? .. sure ... is it enough to provide for humanity indefinitely? ... hell no ... we should still conserve and use economical alternatives ... like bicycles ...

30,000 feet is within the biosphere ... dead things sink down to the bottom of the ocean ... maybe read a book on geology too ... it took me 15 seconds to learn the Earth's crust is 43 miles thick in some places ...

Wait a minute ... BART in San Francisco is built on recent land ... mid-Cretaceous 100 million years ago ... coal beds are far more ancient than even the dinosaurs, 360 million years ago ...

Do you believe lignin evolved? ...

=====

Does Dr Golds say how this aboriginal carbon avoided normal density distribution when the Earth was molten? ... most of the carbon would have floated up to the top surface along with silicon and aluminum, with iron sinking to the core ...

Is some still bubbling up? .. sure ... is it enough to provide for humanity indefinitely? ... hell no ... we should still conserve and use economical alternatives ... like bicycles ...
What ocean is 30,000 feet deep and contains oil?

Forum List

Back