What Really Happened At Kent State?

What are you talking about loco Joe has sent billions of your tax $$$$$$$ to the Regime in Kiev and weapons to attack Russia provided intel and military advisors.

Lets look at our history

S Korea and N Korea were at war….we sent troops
S Vietnam and N Vietnam were at war….we sent troops
Iraq invaded Kuwait…we sent troops
Afghanistan ….we sent troops
Iraq…..we sent troops

Russia invaded Ukraine……We sent military supplies

For once, Our President is keeping our military out of other countries business and letting them do the fighting and dying

Lets look at our history

S Korea and N Korea were at war….we sent troops
S Vietnam and N Vietnam were at war….we sent troops
Iraq invaded Kuwait…we sent troops
Afghanistan ….we sent troops
Iraq…..we sent troops

Russia invaded Ukraine……We sent military supplies

For once, Our President is keeping our military out of other countries business and letting them do the fighting and dying
The only reason the idiot is keeping the US troops out of Ukraine is because it would be WW3, if he thought he could get away with it he would.

The only reason the idiot is keeping the US troops out of Ukraine is because it would be WW3, if he thought he could get away with it he would.
Our President is wisely refraining from sending troops or air support

Something Presidents for the last 75 years have been unable to do

I'm an Ohioan and the Kent State incident happened two decades before I was born, but the reason why I'm asking about it is one of the survivors is coming to speak at our local library.

So, I watched this documentary last night and it seems to be very one-sided. I mean, there has to have been a reason that the national guard fired upon them. Not to mention the fact that the crowd was throwing things at them. Things just aren't adding up to me. 😕

Some of the protestors were actually pursuing the Guardsmen and throwing rocks at them. The protestors had been ordered to disperse several times, but refused.

And what were these students protesting? They were upset because President Nixon finally took the long-overdue step of attacking the Communist sanctuaries in Cambodia, sanctuaries that were being used to launch attacks that were killing and wounding American soldiers.

These radicalized students and agitators weren't upset that the North Vietnamese had invaded and occupied a large part of Cambodia's eastern border. Nah, they had no problem with that.

Similarly, when the North Vietnamese began violating the Paris Peace Accords in 1973 by moving huge amounts of war material and troops into South Vietnam and launching attacks in many parts of the country, the so-called "peace protestors" said nothing. In fact, many of them repeated the obscene Communist propaganda line that South Vietnam was the aggressor.

And the "All we are saying is give peace a chance crowd" had nothing to say when North Vietnam launched a full-scale invasion of South Vietnam in early 1975, in a brazen violation of the Peace Accords. Nope. Not one peep from the "peace" crowd over this naked aggression.

Finally, after South Vietnam fell, the "peace protestors" said nothing when the North Vietnamese proceeded to execute tens of thousands of South Vietnamese and sent another 800,000-plus to brutal concentration camps, where the death rate was at least 5%. When news of these atrocities began to reach the U.S., the likes of John Kerry and Jane Fonda and John Lennon said nothing, not one peep of protest.

Last edited:
Some of the protestors were actually pursuing the Guardsmen and throwing rocks at them. The protestors had been ordered to disperse several times, but refused.

And what were these students protesting? They were upset because President Nixon finally took the long-overdue step of attacking the Communist sanctuaries in Cambodia, sanctuaries that were being used to launch attacks that were killing and wounding American soldiers.

These radicalized students and agitators weren't upset that the North Vietnamese had invaded and occupied a large part of Cambodia's eastern border. Nah, they had no problem with that.

Similarly, when the North Vietnamese began violating the Paris Peace Accords in 1973 by moving huge amounts of war material and troops into South Vietnam and launching attacks in many parts of the country, the so-called "peace protestors" said nothing. In fact, many of them repeated the obscene Communist propaganda line that South Vietnam was the aggressor.

And the "All we are saying is give peace a chance crowd" had nothing to say when North Vietnam launched a full-scale invasion of South Vietnam in early 1975, in a brazen violation of the Peace Accords. Nope. Not one peep from the "peace" crowd over this naked aggression.

Finally, after South Vietnam fell, the "peace protestors" said nothing when the North Vietnamese proceeded to execute tens of thousands of South Vietnamese and sent another 800,000-plus to brutal concentration camps, where the death rate was at least 5%. When news of these atrocities began to reach the U.S., the likes of John Kerry and Jane Fonda and John Lennon said nothing, not one peep of protest.

So like the leftist radicals protesting for Hamas today, the leftist radicals were protesting in favor of communism then.

1706972802633.jpeg

In 2019, Dr. Michael Traina, a former Kent State University professor who witnessed the events that day, wrote the following letter to the Salem News about what actually happened:

--------------------------
It all started a couple of days earlier when the United States Army in Vietnam announced it was going into neighboring Cambodia to stop the flow of Communist troops and arms going into Vietnam.

On the Kent Campus, a bunch of radical students interpreted this as a U.S. attempt to widen the war. No! It was a movement to stop the Communist flow of men and arms into Vietnam to kill American soldiers. The radical, uninformed punks began their protest (they said) of the U.S. widening of the war. This was totally untrue. The U.S. movement was to stop the flow of Communist troops and arms.

On the campus, these radical and wrong punks began to burn down the R.O.T.C. building. When the Kent firemen arrives to put out the fire, the punks greeted them by throwing rocks, bricks, anything else to stop the firemen from putting out the fire. The firefighters were overwhelmed and couldn’t do their job and left with their trucks and equipment. The R.O.T.C. building burned to the ground. These punks then left the campus and went to downtown Kent and caused a great deal of damage, breaking storefront windows and doing other damages.

Governor Rhodes sent in the National Guard to protect the campus and people. On May 4, 1970, the idiot punks started to run at the troops, throwing anything they could get their hands on at the troops who lined up on the Commons. To protect themselves, the troops opened fire. Unfortunately, none of the agitators were hit but nine innocent students were wounded and four students were killed.

Of course, the agitators blamed the governor. The president of the university said, “no one was responsible for what happened,” during the whole time since it started with the burning of the ROTC building and all of the damage to the city. Unbelievable! Everything was the fault of those radical, misinformed punks! There was never any punishment doled out to those who started it. In fact, they were rewarded by given an office on campus! I’m sure plenty of lies were told, blaming everyone but themselves.

I saw the whole ting from Bowman Hall overlooking the Commons because I was teaching a class there. Word came over the loudspeaker for everyone to stay in the building. I stopped my class and told the students to stay in the building. A few says prior, I went to the Ravenna Hospital to get my wife and first born child, our daughter. We made it right before campus was closed off.

In the meantime, many, many parents had come to campus to get their children living the dormitories. By the way, I ran out the back door to get home to my wife and new baby.

Shortly after was commencement and I received my doctorate (Ph.D.) diploma. In the midst of all the chaos, I was given my final oral exam in a building far away from the Commons. My parents and my wife’s parents were there from the Cleveland area for the commencement. Shortly thereafter, my family and I moved to Salem where I began my first professorship at the brand new Salem KSU campus.

To sum up, no one was ever punished but it remains that everything that happened was the fault of those punks who made all the damage and were wrong by saying we were expanding the war. To repeat, our troops were sent into Cambodia to stop the Communist aggression, not to expand the war. I’m certainly not going to see the film and hear all the lies. Only those radical students are to blame for everything that happened. Not Governor Rhodes or anyone else. Those punks talk and act like they are the victims. So, after 50 years some one has told the truth.

Dr. Michael Traina
Retired KSU Professor of Business

-----------------------------------

In 2019, Dr. Michael Traina, a former Kent State University professor who witnessed the events that day, wrote the following letter to the Salem News about what actually happened:

--------------------------
It all started a couple of days earlier when the United States Army in Vietnam announced it was going into neighboring Cambodia to stop the flow of Communist troops and arms going into Vietnam.

On the Kent Campus, a bunch of radical students interpreted this as a U.S. attempt to widen the war. No! It was a movement to stop the Communist flow of men and arms into Vietnam to kill American soldiers. The radical, uninformed punks began their protest (they said) of the U.S. widening of the war. This was totally untrue. The U.S. movement was to stop the flow of Communist troops and arms.

On the campus, these radical and wrong punks began to burn down the R.O.T.C. building. When the Kent firemen arrives to put out the fire, the punks greeted them by throwing rocks, bricks, anything else to stop the firemen from putting out the fire. The firefighters were overwhelmed and couldn’t do their job and left with their trucks and equipment. The R.O.T.C. building burned to the ground. These punks then left the campus and went to downtown Kent and caused a great deal of damage, breaking storefront windows and doing other damages.

Governor Rhodes sent in the National Guard to protect the campus and people. On May 4, 1970, the idiot punks started to run at the troops, throwing anything they could get their hands on at the troops who lined up on the Commons. To protect themselves, the troops opened fire. Unfortunately, none of the agitators were hit but nine innocent students were wounded and four students were killed.

Of course, the agitators blamed the governor. The president of the university said, “no one was responsible for what happened,” during the whole time since it started with the burning of the ROTC building and all of the damage to the city. Unbelievable! Everything was the fault of those radical, misinformed punks! There was never any punishment doled out to those who started it. In fact, they were rewarded by given an office on campus! I’m sure plenty of lies were told, blaming everyone but themselves.

I saw the whole ting from Bowman Hall overlooking the Commons because I was teaching a class there. Word came over the loudspeaker for everyone to stay in the building. I stopped my class and told the students to stay in the building. A few says prior, I went to the Ravenna Hospital to get my wife and first born child, our daughter. We made it right before campus was closed off.

In the meantime, many, many parents had come to campus to get their children living the dormitories. By the way, I ran out the back door to get home to my wife and new baby.

Shortly after was commencement and I received my doctorate (Ph.D.) diploma. In the midst of all the chaos, I was given my final oral exam in a building far away from the Commons. My parents and my wife’s parents were there from the Cleveland area for the commencement. Shortly thereafter, my family and I moved to Salem where I began my first professorship at the brand new Salem KSU campus.

To sum up, no one was ever punished but it remains that everything that happened was the fault of those punks who made all the damage and were wrong by saying we were expanding the war. To repeat, our troops were sent into Cambodia to stop the Communist aggression, not to expand the war. I’m certainly not going to see the film and hear all the lies. Only those radical students are to blame for everything that happened. Not Governor Rhodes or anyone else. Those punks talk and act like they are the victims. So, after 50 years some one has told the truth.

Dr. Michael Traina
Retired KSU Professor of Business

-----------------------------------

Best account of the event, forever! :clap2:

Forum List

Back