What should everyone be told when in contact with police officers?

do NOT do anything that the cop has not told you to do. Jumping out of the car, without being told to exit, will scare and cop and might even get you shot.

And we all know that a cop who is not paranoid and subject to kill for no reason other than a temporary misunderstanding is too much to ask for.

do NOT do anything that the cop has not told you to do. Jumping out of the car, without being told to exit, will scare and cop and might even get you shot.

And we all know that a cop who is not paranoid and subject to kill for no reason other than a temporary misunderstanding is too much to ask for.

It is not paranoid if there are people out there wishing you harm. Perhaps if you understood the dangers that police face you would be more willing to cooperate but then maybe not.

It is not paranoid if there are people out there wishing you harm. Perhaps if you understood the dangers that police face you would be more willing to cooperate but then maybe not.

I realize cops have a very stressful, and often dangerous job, which is why I have so much respect for what they do. However, that is not an excuse for bad behavior. If you can expect nothing more from them than you would of just anybody else, there would be no reason for that respect.

I realize cops have a very stressful, and often dangerous job, which is why I have so much respect for what they do. However, that is not an excuse for bad behavior. If you can expect nothing more from them than you would of just anybody else, there would be no reason for that respect.

Odd how police have to make a split second decision often and it takes a judge and jury weeks to determine if it was a correct decision. We should not be critical of the officer for the poor decisions of other individuals which may put there lives in jeopardy.

Odd how police have to make a split second decision often and it takes a judge and jury weeks to determine if it was a correct decision. We should not be critical of the officer for the poor decisions of other individuals which may put there lives in jeopardy.

OK. I'll just put you down as one who believes that being a cop means never having his actions questioned. There are more in that category than I would have thought, but still not very many.

OK. I'll just put you down as one who believes that being a cop means never having his actions questioned. There are more in that category than I would have thought, but still not very many.
It definitely should not be questioned by those that do not have the courage to be in the shoes of the officer.

I don't mean it as a slam against police officers, but the main thing to remember is you're dealing with violent force. Every single interaction with police contains the potential for being killed.

Traffic Anchovies

1. Don't tell the police that as a Christian, you believe the AntiChrist is real.
2. Don't tell the police you're a comic book fan, and you believe in Batman (DC Comics).
3. Don't tell the police you're scared of dangerous women.
4. Don't tell the police that they are doing a really poor job.

When I watch the Batman (DC Comics) adapted vigilantism-fantasy television series "Gotham" (Fox TV), I feel better about how policemen resemble media barbers.

:afro:

High Incident (TV Series)

sc2.jpg

It definitely should not be questioned by those that do not have the courage to be in the shoes of the officer.

That's just stupid. Cops are given tremendous power, and should be held to a higher standard than others. They should be severely reprimanded when they behave poorly.

I don't mean it as a slam against police officers, but the main thing to remember is you're dealing with violent force. Every single interaction with police contains the potential for being killed.
every single contact a police officer has the potential to be killed.

That's just stupid. Cops are given tremendous power, and should be held to a higher standard than others. They should be severely reprimanded when they behave poorly.
Cops are even severely reprimanded when they behave correctly. Most cops have families and they want to go home to them after they get off work. If you stupidly or intentionally put their life in danger, then expect to be dealt with in an aggressive manner.

cops can always just quit and go get a REAL job, you know. Of course, they'd only make half as much per hour, with no pension after 20 years.

actually, their risks of death on the job are MUCH less than that of fireman, farmer, truck driver, almost EVERY other profession, actually. but if they CARE about the job and people, it's a soul-killing sort of thing

I think people might be missing this aspect of police work: they work day in and day out with some of the most vile people society has to offer, and yet are expected to somehow remain unaffected. This work changes people, and not always for the better. It's not just a matter of losing one's life as a result of violence, it's losing one's empathy for humanity due to the sheer amount of filth one encounters over the course of one's career. No one forces them to choose this path, but no one should expect them to be robots either.

actually, their risks of death on the job are MUCH less than that of fireman, farmer, truck driver, almost EVERY other profession, actually. but if they CARE about the job and people, it's a soul-killing sort of thing

I think people might be missing this aspect of police work: they work day in and day out with some of the most vile people society has to offer, and yet are expected to somehow remain unaffected. This work changes people, and not always for the better. It's not just a matter of losing one's life as a result of violence, it's losing one's empathy for humanity due to the sheer amount of filth one encounters over the course of one's career. No one forces them to choose this path, but no one should expect them to be robots either.

Nobody expects robots. Just following the law, and doing their job properly is all that's needed. If stress prevents them from doing that, then they need to find another job.

Depends on whether you're black or white.

I'm white so I have no concerns at all. Even if I have committed a crime, I will be treated with respect and my constitutional rights will be granted without question. I will get due process and I will arrive in court without so much as a smudge on my person.

Black?

A squirt gun will get you killed. Following orders and reaching for your dirver's license will get you killed. Little kid in the park, playing with a gun? Dead. Thinking about buying a BB gun? Dead. Hands up? Dead. Running away? Shot dead in the back. "Horseplay" at a pool party? Assault and you're damn lucky to get out a live.

That is a good rule of thumb, but not 100% accurate in all cases. When younger, I've had my ass kicked by the police because I wouldn't admit to running a stop sign when I had been no where near that stop sign. To be fair, it was a mostly white neighborhood, and perhaps there just weren't enough black asses to go around,

So you finally admit to being a negro.

I'm white so I have no concerns at all. Even if I have committed a crime, I will be treated with respect and my constitutional rights will be granted without question. I will get due process and I will arrive in court without so much as a smudge on my person.

Black?

A squirt gun will get you killed. Following orders and reaching for your dirver's license will get you killed. Little kid in the park, playing with a gun? Dead. Thinking about buying a BB gun? Dead. Hands up? Dead. Running away? Shot dead in the back. "Horseplay" at a pool party? Assault and you're damn lucky to get out a live.

That is a good rule of thumb, but not 100% accurate in all cases. When younger, I've had my ass kicked by the police because I wouldn't admit to running a stop sign when I had been no where near that stop sign. To be fair, it was a mostly white neighborhood, and perhaps there just weren't enough black asses to go around,

Sorry buddy, but I'm lily white. If there were enough blacks to go around, he might not have had to kick my ass to complete his quota.

Black?

Sorry buddy, but I'm lily white. If there were enough blacks to go around, he might not have had to kick my ass to complete his quota.

So wait a minute...did you leave your white privilege card at home?
I never leave home without it myself.

Forum List

Back