What should government do?

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
A few days ago Mike Pence went to see a play. The cast members interrupted the performance to lecture Pence on what he and Trump should do for them.

Here's a suggestion for what Pence should have replied.

Hamilton cast said:
“We sir, we are the diverse America, who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights,”
Dear Sir,

Most of what you are asking here, is not within the authority of the U.S. government, and for good reason. Protecting all these things would have no practical limits, and politicians seeking to buy votes would expand them endlessly, and run up taxes to pay for them so high families and their businesses would be bankrupted and left unable to pay any taxes at all, even for the vital functions government does provide.

The purpose of government in this country, is to prevent people from interfering with you as you run your own life. It is not there for the purpose of running your life for you, giving you a job, giving you medical insurance, providing you food, or protecting you from hearing things you don't want to. Americans had to draw the line somewhere, so they wrote a Constitution that names what the Federal govt is authorized to do. That Constitution also contains a command saying that anything not explicitly stated, was forbidden to the Federal govt but is allowed for the states and lower governments. You'll have to contact them for help in those areas.

The Fed is indeed charged with defending you and protecting your unalienable rights. Plus rights the Constitution lists. But that's only a small fraction of what you're demanding. Protecting the planet is a little beyond us. Besides, we don't know of anyone from outside the planet who wants to attack it. Same goes for protecting your children and parents. That's up to you, but we'll certainly keep bad guys off your backs while you do it. For the other areas, please contact your individual state or local governments. As I have pointed out, there is very good reason for this separation of powers.

But you are quite right that our new administration headed by President-elect Donald Trump will not do those things that exceed the authority we have been given by the Constitution. We also won't restrict you from doing them yourselves, unless your acts violate the Constitution (no punishment for criminal acts without trial, no slavery etc.)

Our job is to stay out of your way unless somebody unjustly interferes with you. The rest is up to you.

Let us know how it goes.

Yours in freedom (mostly from excessive government),
Mike Pence, Vice-President-Elect

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: Would Pence be right in telling the protester this?

Why or why not?

A few days ago Mike Pence went to see a play. The cast members interrupted the performance to lecture Pence on what he and Trump should do for them.

Hamilton cast said:
“We sir, we are the diverse America, who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights,”
Dear Sir,

Most of what you are asking here, is not within the authority of the U.S. government, and for good reason. Protecting all these things would have no practical limits, and politicians seeking to buy votes would expand them endlessly, and run up taxes to pay for them so high families and their businesses would be bankrupted and left unable to pay any taxes at all, even for the vital functions government does provide.

The purpose of government in this country, is to prevent people from interfering with you as you run your own life. It is not there for the purpose of running your life for you, giving you a job, giving you medical insurance, providing you food, or protecting you from hearing things you don't want to. Americans had to draw the line somewhere, so they wrote a Constitution that names what the Federal govt is authorized to do. That Constitution also contains a command saying that anything not explicitly stated, was forbidden to the Federal govt but is allowed for the states and lower governments. You'll have to contact them for help in those areas.

The Fed is indeed charged with defending you and protecting your unalienable rights. Plus rights the Constitution lists. But that's only a small fraction of what you're demanding. Protecting the planet is a little beyond us. Besides, we don't know of anyone from outside the planet who wants to attack it. Same goes for protecting your children and parents. That's up to you, but we'll certainly keep bad guys off your backs while you do it. For the other areas, please contact your individual state or local governments. As I have pointed out, there is very good reason for this separation of powers.

But you are quite right that our new administration headed by President-elect Donald Trump will not do those things that exceed the authority we have been given by the Constitution. We also won't restrict you from doing them yourselves, unless your acts violate the Constitution (no punishment for criminal acts without trial, no slavery etc.)

Our job is to stay out of your way unless somebody unjustly interferes with you. The rest is up to you.

Let us know how it goes.

Why or why not?
Mike Pence is way too dumb to have thought of any of that in the moment

TRANSLATION: I don't dare discuss your subject, so I'll attack the (imaginary) messenger instead.
Your entire post was about an imaginary situation. I suggest you stop coming up with fantasies and ask your sub-par heroes to handle their shit themselves.

TRANSLATION: I don't dare discuss your subject, so I'll attack the (imaginary) messenger instead.
Your entire post was about an imaginary situation. I suggest you stop coming up with fantasies and ask your sub-par heroes to handle their shit themselves.
TRANSLATION: I still don't dare to discuss the idea that government should do only the most necessary things that people cannot do, and otherwise leave them alone. So I'll continue to address the fact that Mike Pence didn't actually say that, instead of the actual topic of the thread.

yes I agree the best thing he couldve done was gone on a rant about how black people are lazy and dont pay any taxes.... much better than what he did

TRANSLATION: I still don't dare to discuss the idea that government should do only the most necessary things that people cannot do, and otherwise leave them alone. So I'll continue to address the fact that Mike Pence didn't actually say that, instead of the actual topic of the thread.
:itsok:

I think he did exactly what he should have, Just acted like he was listening to a stupid liberal idiot, and more or less ignored the complete nonsense the little baby vomited. The portrayal of Hamilton is so far away from reality in Many respects that it is a joke just like the people involved with it. I like many others say boycott ALL of the liberal shit, laugh at their ignorance, and make them act like liberal shit always do. That brings their racist, ignorant intolerance into the light and shines a searchlight on them.

Last edited:
Well first off, they didn't interrupt the performance to lecture him. They made their statement AFTER the performance had ended and they came out for their curtain call. There have been tons of threads on this. If you can't get that little fact right, then you have no purpose in posting anything on the subject at all. :anj_stfu:

I have no respect for people who take advantage of having a microphone to single someone out in the audience to dress down when that person has no microphone to with which to respond, putting them in the position of having to either yell or remain silent. Either way, they are at a disadvantage. Pence should have gone down to the stage and taken a mic and responded to the rude bastard.

If you can't get that little fact right, then you have no purpose in posting anything on the subject at all. :anj_stfu:
Yet another leftist who ignores the actual subject and dwells on trivialities, in an attempt to prevent their opponent from discussing at all.

After so many leftists' attempts to change the subject and/or derail the thread, it's time to restate the actual subject.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hamilton cast said:
Dear Sir,

Let us know how it goes.

Why or why not?

If you can't get that little fact right, then you have no purpose in posting anything on the subject at all. :anj_stfu:
Yet another leftist who ignores the actual subject and dwells on trivialities, in an attempt to prevent their opponent from discussing at all.

It's not a triviality. There is a HUGE difference in interrupting the performance to lecture the VP, than there is to make a statement after the performance during the curtain call.

If you can't get the facts straight, or understand the difference....then well, you fail.

I always thought big government is a far right/fascist idea and liberal would be the oppossite even going into anarchy as extreme (absolute freedom) since when is anarchy and lawlessness right wing? I think right and left are difficult to understand to me. To me a right winger is a law and order type militarist and chauvinist etc. Someone in the police uniform or military working for the government etc. a fascist.

I always thought big government is a far right/fascist idea and liberal would be the oppossite even going into anarchy as extreme (absolute freedom) since when is anarchy and lawlessness right wing? I think right and left are difficult to understand to me. To me a right winger is a law and order type militarist and chauvinist etc. Someone in the police uniform or military working for the government etc. a fascist.

You are confusing things. Right wingers believe in small, limited federal government that simply enforces the Constitution, and that everyone should basically take care of themselves.

Lefties believe in a more active government that helps to take care of its people, and that everyone should be treated evenly and fairly... but have more freedoms to live their lives and express themselves.

You are confusing things. Right wingers believe in small, limited federal government that simply enforces the Constitution, and that everyone should basically take care of themselves.

Lefties believe in a more active government that helps to take care of its people, and that everyone should be treated evenly and fairly... but have more freedoms to live their lives and express themselves.

ok, but what if i believe to use government institutions to promote racial seperatism, uphold white supremacy or like it was secure the right to "own slaves"? wouldnt that be right wing? government can be used in this or that way in left or right, to me its not per se left wing to be for government. actually freedom is a liberal/left idea to me. freedom and equality etc. democracy and human rights are also liberal ideas.

Hamilton cast said:
Dear Sir,

Let us know how it goes.

Why or why not?

I think the US needs a big discussion on what govt should and shouldn't do in the modern era. Clearly people are voting for govt that does a lot of things, and many people don't want no regulation and chaos with large corporations being in control.

Some of the issues there were Human Rights. People need a protector and the govt does it better.

Evidence of this is Russia in the 1990s, Somalia in the last 30 years and so on. When corporations or mafias start taking over then a lot of people get killed. That's not to say the US doesn't kill. I saw something about a British spy who was found locked in a chest or in a bag, and it seems he had managed to find out some US secrets and met his end. However as the Russians will tell you, and even those on the right, stable govt is better for security.

Protecting the planet. Well corporations have shown they won't do anything to keep things clean if they're not forced to. Evidence of this can be found anywhere.

th

Children. In the past children were sent up chimneys and things like this. Without govt regulation forcing kids to go to school, preventing forced marriages, underage marries and so on, then it would happen.

ok, but what if i believe to use government institutions to promote racial seperatism, uphold white supremacy or like it was secure the right to "own slaves"? wouldnt that be right wing? government can be used in this or that way in left or right, to me its not per se left wing to be for government. actually freedom is a liberal/left idea to me. freedom and equality etc. democracy and human rights are also liberal ideas.

What? Why are you hung up on white supremacy and slavery? For that to happen, it would take the repeal of like three or more Amendments, and for that to happen would be about 99.9% impossible.

Forum List

Back