What Should Happen To The Person/s That Sells Guns Illegally

Seriously, they should be punished in some way.

The straw buyer for the San Bernardino shooters is being prosecuted. If they find one in this case they should be prosecuted as well.

If he wasn't legally entitled to buy guns but bought them via a private sale in Texas, who are you going to prosecute?

You are missing the point.... AGAIN.

If making laws was the solution, then why didn't it work? Leftwingers have repeated constantly, that if only we had a law preventing bad people from buying guys, then... THEN... we could get this under control.

Huh... we have a law, says this man wasn't allowed to buy a guy.... yet he got a gun.

The law didn't work. Just like all the other laws didn't work. Just like prohibition didn't work. Just like laws against illegal drugs right now, don't work.

How many more times do you have to try and fail, before you figure out your ideology does not work?

You remind me of the communist government in Cuba, that for 60 years has destroyed the country, and all they do is blame the US. Or Venezuela, blaming the 'capitalist saboteurs.'

How many times does this have to happen before you people wake up and figure out your system doesn't work?

Example: we have laws against wife beating, and yet, women get beat up by their husbands every day in this country.
Those laws, by your 'logic', then, are not working.

Therefore, by your 'logic', those laws should simply be abolished.

The straw buyer for the San Bernardino shooters is being prosecuted. If they find one in this case they should be prosecuted as well.

If he wasn't legally entitled to buy guns but bought them via a private sale in Texas, who are you going to prosecute?

Depends on whether the seller knew the guy and his background or not. If you want to solve that make NICS available to all. Then private sellers could do a background check. Of course that would open up a whole can of privacy concerns.

If making laws was the solution, then why didn't it work? Leftwingers have repeated constantly, that if only we had a law preventing bad people from buying guys, then... THEN... we could get this under control.

Huh... we have a law, says this man wasn't allowed to buy a guy.... yet he got a gun.

The law didn't work. Just like all the other laws didn't work. Just like prohibition didn't work. Just like laws against illegal drugs right now, don't work.

How many more times do you have to try and fail, before you figure out your ideology does not work?

You remind me of the communist government in Cuba, that for 60 years has destroyed the country, and all they do is blame the US. Or Venezuela, blaming the 'capitalist saboteurs.'

How many times does this have to happen before you people wake up and figure out your system doesn't work?

Example: we have laws against wife beating, and yet, women get beat up by their husbands every day in this country.

And your logic is to pass another law that doesn't work instead of just dealing with the people that break the law. Laws can't, as you just demonstrated, prevent crime, they just punish the offenders.

No, there is a huge difference.

Murder is already illegal. Adding a new law, to an already illegal act, would solve nothing. If they are willing to murder, then breaking a gun law isn't going to stop them.

But contrary to the ignorance you displayed above, eliminating a gun law, does not suddenly make murder legal.

Are you telling me that if we don't have 25 new gun laws, that going on mass shootings is perfectly legal?

No it's not. So there is no determent factor to consider.

If we make it legal to hit your wife, then yes more men would hit their wives. I get that.

Nothing in this discussion would make mass shootings legal.

Our point is, new laws that accomplish nothing, are in effect counter productive.

The whole reason this guy at the church didn't kill even more people is because a private lawful citizen, started shooting at this guy with his legal weapon.

If you guys had your way, no citizen would be able to own a legal weapon, so only this deranged nut would have a gun. None would have confronted him. No one would have stopped him. And dozens, if not hundreds more would be injured and killed, if we followed your line of thinking.

To people like this violent thug killer, Devin Patrick Kelley, that viciously murders multiple people in cold blood for no reason whatsoever?

Are you going to turn in your source?

Since he is a thug killer why are not supporting them?

Oh yea, that's right he is white!

The laws define illegal behavior and set the punishments they do nothing else.

So in that sense we need them so as to punish the offenders.

Don't kid yourself that any law prevents crime

To people like this violent thug killer, Devin Patrick Kelley, that viciously murders multiple people in cold blood for no reason whatsoever?
Let’s say your uncle dies and leaves you his guns. Your not a big gun guy and you don’t see a reason to keep all of them so you tell some of your buddies that you’d be willing to sell some of them. One of your friends says he’d love to buy one.... how do you think you should have to go about selling him the gun?

This is a sincere question...

Let’s say your uncle dies and leaves you his guns. Your not a big gun guy and you don’t see a reason to keep all of them so you tell some of your buddies that you’d be willing to sell some of them. One of your friends says he’d love to buy one.... how do you think you should have to go about selling him the gun?

A sincere answer

IMO any person selling a gun who wants to obey the laws regarding sales to those who are ineligible to buy a firearm should broker the deal via a licensed FFL dealer.

In most cases the FFL dealer will only charge a nominal fee to perform the check

I have never sold any firearms that I own but if I was going to I would broker the sale in the manner described above and have the buyer pick up the tab for the background check

A sincere answer

IMO any person selling a gun who wants to obey the laws regarding sales to those who are ineligible to buy a firearm should broker the deal via a licensed FFL dealer.

In most cases the FFL dealer will only charge a nominal fee to perform the check

I have never sold any firearms that I own but if I was going to I would broker the sale in the manner described above and have the buyer pick up the tab for the background check
Is that the legal process? If I want to sell a gun to a buddy I need to go to a gun store and ask them to broker the deal?

If he just gave me cash and I gave him the gun what kind of penalty would we be facing if we got caught?

A sincere answer

Is that the legal process? If I want to sell a gun to a buddy I need to go to a gun store and ask them to broker the deal?

If he just gave me cash and I gave him the gun what kind of penalty would we be facing if we got caught?

That depends on your state laws. But regardless of the law I would not sell any firearm to anyone without it being brokered via an FFL dealer.

And you don't have to go to a gun store there are People with FFL licenses that do not own stores.

FFL Registry: Search By ZIP Code

A sincere answer

If they're really a buddy, you should know if they are eligible to own a gun. If you don't know, maybe they're not that good of a buddy.

Well, for the shooter it’s a moot point as he is dead. I’m okay with that. Hope it hurt allot. As for the gun seller, there are many things that can happen. Friend of mine got cought being a felon in possession of a fire arm. For him it was automatically 2 years in prison out the gate. Then the State charges which was mostly monitarey. So far in this case it looks like the NICS system missed the red flag. One of the questions on the form plainly asks is the buyer was dishonorably discharged. They also said he was denied his. CCW, so having been turned down for that, I don’t see how he would pass the background check. Reguardless, the seller, if he sold the guns illegally, or a straw purchased got him his guns they should both be prosecuted to the fullest extant of he laws state and federal.

A sincere answer

If they're really a buddy, you should know if they are eligible to own a gun. If you don't know, maybe they're not that good of a buddy.

A private seller in Texas has no legal obligation to know if the person he is selling a gun to is legally eligible to own a gun.

From the logic in this thread, home depot would have been responsible for what happened in new york last week.

. What happens to the owner of a bar who sells that drunk one more shot of whiskey when the guy leaves there to kill an entire family ?? I think laws were created or shaped to include penalties for not only the drunk who killed people, but also for the contributor of that situation in which enabled the sad tragedy by enabling the drunk for whom was known to be way to drunk to have more to drink, much worse to leave there driving in such a condition. I think many new laws are now geared towards prevention instead of reaction after the fact.

A sincere answer

A private seller in Texas has no legal obligation to know if the person he is selling a gun to is legally eligible to own a gun.

And, I don't know anyone who would sell to a total stranger. I guess there are a few people who might, I never have. Of course I've only sold one gun in my life and it was to a guy I worked with and knew very well. BTW, it a violation of federal law to knowingly sell a gun to a person who is not eligible to have it. If I were to sell a gun today, I would make the exchange at the local police dept and tell the buyer they will check his ID on NCIC. If the buyer is hinkey they'll most likely back out. Responsible gun owners take precautions.

If you read through this thread...

Is it time to abolish all gun laws and allow everyone to open carry?

...you'll find that there is a disturbingly large contingent of nuts here on USMB who don't believe there should be any such thing as an illegal gun sale.

Name them.

lol, are you suffering a bout of illiteracy? Read the fucking thread.

I don’t see anyone calling for no gun restrictions at all, are some dumb binary robot that can’t see many positions, just two. You are one dumb idiot, thanks for reenforcing it.

If someone sells a gun illegally, they should lose their right to sell guns for the rest of their lives, they should forfeit all the guns they have, and they should lose their ability to own guns... on top of a fine. Putting them in jail isn't going change things but make it worse for the innocent people in their family.

If you lock up a husband and father you are punishing the whole family...

If they are selling guns illegally and you take away their right to sell guns legally, you have taken nothing away. They will still sell illegally and will still own guns illegally. You are in a sense saying, do nothing. You really think that will work?

If someone sells a gun illegally, they should lose their right to sell guns for the rest of their lives, they should forfeit all the guns they have, and they should lose their ability to own guns... on top of a fine. Putting them in jail isn't going change things but make it worse for the innocent people in their family.

If you lock up a husband and father you are punishing the whole family...

If they are selling guns illegally and you take away their right to sell guns legally, you have taken nothing away. They will still sell illegally and will still own guns illegally. You are in a sense saying, do nothing. You really think that will work?
. If they are selling guns illegally they should be put in jail. Who cares about whether they can sell guns legally, because they should be in jail for the illegal things they are doing.

A sincere answer

And, I don't know anyone who would sell to a total stranger. I guess there are a few people who might, I never have. Of course I've only sold one gun in my life and it was to a guy I worked with and knew very well. BTW, it a violation of federal law to knowingly sell a gun to a person who is not eligible to have it. If I were to sell a gun today, I would make the exchange at the local police dept and tell the buyer they will check his ID on NCIC. If the buyer is hinkey they'll most likely back out. Responsible gun owners take precautions.

The law is for irresponsible gun owners.

Forum List

Back