What We Do Best

What are the things that American culture gets "awesomely right"?

BBQ, guns and women :thup:

Agreed, but I think just about every country can make the same claim about women. Brazil and Korea are pretty close contenders on the BBQ as well.

Yeah, there are a lot of nice women out here in the world. Koreans do Galbi really fine by way of BBQ.

I suppose I would add that we do a fair enough job keeping the country litter free these days compared to most I have travelled to this year. We seem to keep stray cats and dogs under control as well. They are everywhere in the middle east and asia, accept in Israel they at least snip one ear down to show that it is spayed or nutered, and in Thailand they are usually the extra ingredient in any exotic cuisine.

Golf courses are great in the states, and wonderful for morning walks. I think the states has better topless bars as well. Seems hard to find them anymore overseas unless you go to the dive-sections of even southeast asia.

Living, overall, for the quality of life, still seems pretty cheap in the US, if working the cubicle life, watching tv, eating voluminous amounts of fat and sugar, and sitting waiting for retirement are your thing.

I do miss Walmart. It's nice to be able to go to one place and get your hair cut, a burger from McDonald's, a change of tires, your toiletries, a week worth of groceries, and a new pair of khakis in the same place and in under an hour. America does Walmart good...or rather...America does Walmart...which is good.

I will think of some more, but for now, that should be suffice.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard a song called The Bravery of Being out of Range? The man from Pink Floyd sure has our number.

This interesting article got me thinking:

10 things Japan gets awesomely right ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

What are the things that American culture gets "awesomely right"? I think sports would be on my list (though not the parents watching their children play sports - that's the opposite).

What else?

I hope it said, manufacture reliable cars because I just bought my second new one after having no problems with the 6 year old I traded in for it. :D

This interesting article got me thinking:

10 things Japan gets awesomely right ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

What are the things that American culture gets "awesomely right"? I think sports would be on my list (though not the parents watching their children play sports - that's the opposite).

What else?

Interesting information on Japan's health insurance:

SNIP:

Premiums are calculated based on the insured person's salary, property, and the number of dependents. On average, premiums are around 4 percent of salary. There is a cap of 530,000 yen per year per household, if you're lucky enough to be earning those kind of big bucks! Premiums can be paid by bank transfer or at the local ward or city office.

much more:

New to Japan - General - Japanese Health and Welfare System

Forum List

Back