Whatever Happened to Electric Cars?

If anyone believed that electric cars would overtake gas powered cars in less than a decade, I have a bridge I would love to sell you.

But there have been advances. And there are over 100,000 production electric vehicles on the road now. Not bad considering the entire industry is just a few years old.
They won't overtake oil vehicles, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will eventually though.

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago. Now I am not so sure. The technology is evolving so rapidly, that an speculation is pure guesswork.

If anyone believed that electric cars would overtake gas powered cars in less than a decade, I have a bridge I would love to sell you.

But there have been advances. And there are over 100,000 production electric vehicles on the road now. Not bad considering the entire industry is just a few years old.
They won't overtake oil vehicles, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will eventually though.

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago. Now I am not so sure. The technology is evolving so rapidly, that an speculation is pure guesswork.
It isn't speculation. There are billions of vehicles on the road, at present they are using oil. If you put every vehicle in the world in a power socket instead the power use would be enormous.

Most energy is non-renewable, and it is a struggle to meet energy targets just for normal home use. Add to that all the cars in the world, and you would have a major energy crisis.

Hydrogen fuel cells use an energy source that is an alternative to oil, and it would allow billions of vehicles to be on the road - without adding more strain to the power grid.

Electric vehicles are too restrictive for most consumers, and how green are electric cars, really? Hydrogen is already the driver for many city government fleets, busses, etc. It needs a wider distribution network to make it practical, however. I'll jump onboard when a tangible, affordable, practical alternative to gasoline/diesel is developed. But I'll probably be dead long dead before that happens. Remember when you were a kid? We were all supposed to be in flying cars by now.

I see quite a few electric cars around here, but it is just too impractical for me. It's OK for around town commuting, and there are lots of charging stations around with more appearing all the time. Problem is they just don't have the necessary range yet. Hybrids are OK, but pricey.

Electric vehicles are too restrictive for most consumers, and how green are electric cars, really? Hydrogen is already the driver for many city government fleets, busses, etc. It needs a wider distribution network to make it practical, however. I'll jump onboard when a tangible, affordable, practical alternative to gasoline/diesel is developed. But I'll probably be dead long dead before that happens. Remember when you were a kid? We were all supposed to be in flying cars by now.
Oil prices are still affordable, and a damn sight cheaper than plugging it into the wall.

People are wanting a miraculous drive to x fuel or electric vehicles, but that isn't going to happen - unless either a) oil becomes prohibitively expensive or b) they develop a hydrogen fuel cell alternative that is nearly as cheap as oil. It is down to simple economics, especially in the third world where they look at cost as the major factor for vehicle use - not 'how much co2 it emits'.

That aside, electric vehicles lack the range of oil vehicles, and the infrastructure simply doesn't exist - either in the electrical grid or in terms of power stations to power these 'vehicles of the future'. I can see a lot of countries getting on board with hydrogen fuel cells as an alternative, and many already have - but it is still around 2030 when they expect to develop the technology to make it more affordable.

A few years ago, my home city was big into electric vehicles. The city council pushed heavily for electric buses to be expanded, then they gave up as it was too expensive to maintain the infrastructure and it was prohibitively expensive to pay for the electricity. It was cheaper to use electric-diesel hybrids, or just go back to normal diesel buses. The electric vehicles 'fad' will die out, when hydrogen fuel cells take off. There is no profit in over-taxing the electric grid - especially for taxpayers.

Instead of putting oil in your vehicle, you would put hydrogen fuel cell fuel in your vehicle, and the waste product would be water. It would cost probably about the same as it does now, or perhaps more expensive (as you get less bang for your buck when compared to oil). It might be less energy efficient, but you would get no pollution from vehicles in the cities and the pollution would be from producing the fuel - not from power plants having to work overtime to produce power for cities and vehicles.

Chevy Volt: 500lb battery = 1 gallon of gasoline.

Epic fail

Electric car owners pollute more than buyers of traditional gasoline vehicles, according to a panel of environmental scientists. The energy needed to charge cutting edge cars typically comes from coal-fired power plants, which release extremely toxic materials into the environment. RT’s Ameera David reports.
Not to mention that the electricity has to come from somewhere. ;)

From the Blaze tonight:

Bammy promised in his 2011 State of the Union Address, that by 2015, electric cars would swarm this country's landscape thicker than illegal aliens. Yet 99.7% of the hundreds of thousands of electric cars he promised, are nowhere to be found. Yet one more idiotic pipedream by Bammy's warmies. Oh, and you the taxpayer forked over a $7,500 subsidy for every one that was sold. Just makes you feel green and cozy all over, don't it?

The Chevy Volt is what happened to electric cars. This was Obama's baby and it blew up and caught on fire.

20100816_volt.jpg

Gas prices have thrown a wet towel on Tesla stock since August or so. But they will still sell many more cars in 2015 than 2014. It's a bitchen car, and they've set up supercharging stations nationwide.
The new $5 billion gigafactory may actually end up in Texas, ironically, as Texas has banned direct sales from the company. Gov Perry got $300,000 in campaign contributions from traditional auto lot sales companies, but even he has begun to change his tune.

It costs about $3.00 to charge an S Model Tesla, and that will get you over 200 kick ass miles of fun.

My recommendation. Buy Tesla stock on this downturn. It'll eventually reach $400.

And by the way, anything from Government Motors is horrible. Don't let one bad apple sour the whole crop.

Gas prices have thrown a wet towel on Tesla stock since August or so. But they will still sell many more cars in 2015 than 2014. It's a bitchen car, and they've set up supercharging stations nationwide.
The new $5 billion gigafactory may actually end up in Texas, ironically, as Texas has banned direct sales from the company. Gov Perry got $300,000 in campaign contributions from traditional auto lot sales companies, but even he has begun to change his tune.

It costs about $3.00 to charge an S Model Tesla, and that will get you over 200 kick ass miles of fun.

My recommendation. Buy Tesla stock on this downturn. It'll eventually reach $400.

And by the way, anything from Government Motors is horrible. Don't let one bad apple sour the whole crop.

The giga factory is well under way here in Nevada. If they were to cancel it, they would lose over 20 million that they've already spent.

The car industry bought all the patents they could to shut down competition to oil and hybrid vehicles, and Tesla focuses on the luxury market.

Tesla has big plans for the non-luxury market:

Chevrolet’s debut of the Bolt EV concept at this year’s Detroit Auto Show led many to state that the proposed vehicle’s 200-mile range and $30,000 price tag will give Tesla Motors cause to be nervous, but CEO Elon Musk isn’t breaking a sweat just yet.

Speaking at the Automotive News World Congress during this year’s Detroit Auto Show, The Car Connection reports that Musk covered a myriad of subjects during an on-stage interview with a group of journalists. Among them was his statement that the Tesla Model 3, a vehicle planned for 2017, will run less than that, starting at $35,000. The keen math wizards among you have surely realized Musk’s number is larger than the one for the Chevy Bolt, but the Bolt’s planned price includes government tax rebates whereas the one for the Tesla 3 doesn’t.

Tesla Model 3 to cost less than Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicle Digital Trends

Most of your major car companies are investing heavily in EVs. When we get version below 30k that has a consistent 100 mile range, you'll likely see their sales skyrocket.

The car industry bought all the patents they could to shut down competition to oil and hybrid vehicles, and Tesla focuses on the luxury market.

Chevrolet’s debut of the Bolt EV concept at this year’s Detroit Auto Show led many to state that the proposed vehicle’s 200-mile range and $30,000 price tag will give Tesla Motors cause to be nervous, but CEO Elon Musk isn’t breaking a sweat just yet.

Speaking at the Automotive News World Congress during this year’s Detroit Auto Show, The Car Connection reports that Musk covered a myriad of subjects during an on-stage interview with a group of journalists. Among them was his statement that the Tesla Model 3, a vehicle planned for 2017, will run less than that, starting at $35,000. The keen math wizards among you have surely realized Musk’s number is larger than the one for the Chevy Bolt, but the Bolt’s planned price includes government tax rebates whereas the one for the Tesla 3 doesn’t.

Most of your major car companies are investing heavily in EVs. When we get version below 30k that has a consistent 100 mile range, you'll likely see their sales skyrocket.
Still too expensive when compared to gas vehicles, and 2017 is too far away.

The ultimate test will be how many they sell in comparison to hybrid cars, but I doubt they will out sell them or change the market.

The ultimate test will be how many they sell in comparison to hybrid cars, but I doubt they will out sell them or change the market.

Depends on gas prices. And 2 years away is 'too far'? I don't know what time schedule mandates that.

And you'll notice the startling trend down in price. Its a trend that is likely to continue.

Depends on gas prices. And 2 years away is 'too far'? I don't know what time schedule mandates that.

And you'll notice the startling trend down in price. Its a trend that is likely to continue.
Estimated price several years before, isn't the same as the in-production/on the shelf price.

Estimated price several years before, isn't the same as the in-production/on the shelf price.

True enough. In two years we'll know if the estimated prices and the actual prices are close. If they are, we see the stark trend I'm describing. As battery technology improves, EV is going to be more viable. We're right on the cusp of battery powered commercial aviation.

True enough. In two years we'll know if the estimated prices and the actual prices are close. If they are, we see the stark trend I'm describing. As battery technology improves, EV is going to be more viable. We're right on the cusp of battery powered commercial aviation.

With gas prices down electric cars will become a thing of the past except for the rich elite that will be able to afford them.

Then again the far left wants to do away with corporate welfare, where is this call for that in this case?

The giga factory is well under way here in Nevada. If they were to cancel it, they would lose over 20 million that they've already spent.

Good for Nevada.

If you buy certain models, or you buy the extra package on a basic S Model, you get lifetime free charging at all Supercharging Stations, and they charge the car up in a matter of minutes.

Now, I said that a full charge is about $3.00. That is not true in California, where it might be almost 5 times that. Still, over 200 miles on less than $15.00 in a sports car isn't bad. But you get free charges at Tesla Supercharging Stations and many California shopping centers (along with a free good parking spot). You could conceivably have free fuel for life.

And you can have an extra battery pack handy and charge it with your solar panels during the day while you're off draining the other battery pack. Swap them out as needed. Make your own power.

Don't quote me on any of that. I might have made it all up, very possibly. But then again, maybe not.

With gas prices down electric cars will become a thing of the past except for the rich elite that will be able to afford them.

Then again the far left wants to do away with corporate welfare, where is this call for that in this case?

How long do you think gas prices will stay this low?? Do you think this is a permanent situation?

From the Blaze tonight:

Bammy promised in his 2011 State of the Union Address, that by 2015, electric cars would swarm this country's landscape thicker than illegal aliens. Yet 99.7% of the hundreds of thousands of electric cars he promised, are nowhere to be found. Yet one more idiotic pipedream by Bammy's warmies. Oh, and you the taxpayer forked over a $7,500 subsidy for every one that was sold. Just makes you feel green and cozy all over, don't it?

he choose to mandate that Free American Citizens had to buy a product

from big insurance or face serious consequences instead of mandating electric cars

Forum List

Back