What's the most intolerant religion?

Not at all.

Buddhism. Definitely

I would disagree. I have Buddhist friends who quite easily say a pox on all Abrahamic religions. They are not at all tolerant. All religions believe they have found the right path which is why people embrace them. That naturally assumes that all others are more wrong. :)

Then again, religion is what people make it to be.

Exactly. Which is why I say that religion is manmade. God is not.

But everybody tries to do religion better, more correctly, more spiritually, more meaningfully, and/or more pleasing to whatever deity is worshipped or to perfect oneself. And because the religion we embrace we consider to be more pure or more righteous or more intelligent than all others, all religions contain an element of intolerance.

Intolerance in itself is not a bad thing, however, as some things we should be intolerant of.

Bringing us back to the age old question: Is it intolerant to be intolerant of intolerance?

Last edited:
I would disagree. I have Buddhist friends who quite easily say a pox on all Abrahamic religions. They are not at all tolerant. All religions believe they have found the right path which is why people embrace them. That naturally assumes that all others are more wrong. :)

Exactly. Which is why I say that religion is manmade. God is not.

But everybody tries to do religion better, more correctly, more spiritually, more meaningfully, and/or more pleasing to whatever deity is worshipped or to perfect oneself. And because the religion we embrace we consider to be more pure or more righteous or more intelligent than all others, all religions contain an element of intolerance.

Intolerance in itself is not a bad thing, however, as some things we should be intolerant of.

Bringing us back to the age old question: Is it intolerant to be intolerant of intolerance?

Since intolerance itself is not a positive thing, the answer will be "No".

Not at all.

Buddhism. Definitely

Like the Jews who use it to justify stealing other people's land?

Now THAT'S a tough one.

Not at all.

Buddhism. Definitely

Not a universally accepted 'doctrine' - in fact, not a doctrine at all of Judaism or Buddhism or the Hindu faith. Which is why they generally do not proselytize. The other tiny 'Abrahamic' faith, the Baha'i, are committed to pacifism and also do not proselytize.

I was taught that Judaism is simply 'the way for Jews' - and not something the whole world is 'deficient' for not adopting.

Not at all.

Buddhism. Definitely

Not a universally accepted 'doctrine' - in fact, not a doctrine at all of Judaism or Buddhism or the Hindu faith. Which is why they generally do not proselytize. The other tiny 'Abrahamic' faith, the Baha'i, are committed to pacifism and also do not proselytize.

I was taught that Judaism is simply 'the way for Jews' - and not something the whole world is 'deficient' for not adopting.

Judaism is very tolerant towards Gentiles, less towards Jews themsleves. But then again, it depends which and who and at what circumstances:eusa_angel:

" And it does require as much faith to disbelieve as it does to believe."

I don't believe so.

Of course it does. When you can find no civilization that has ever existed, no matter how isolated, that did not develop some sense of unseen being or beings greater than themselves; when the vast majority of people on Earth have some sense of a diety; when more than 90% of Americans believe in God; there is overwhelming evidence for some kind of phenomenon that causes such belief.

Of course you cannot prove to me that God does not exist any more than I can prove to you that God does exist. But with such a cloud of witnesses spanning the many millenia of recorded history that we have expressing a sense of deity, it absolutely every bit as much faith to disbelieve as it does to believe.

That a majority of humans experience things in a similar way or share certain attributes may just as easily be explained by their neural makeup. No human group, for instance, has ever been found that did not have a spoken language. What is metaphysical about that?

Humans have a vivid and active imagination. We have to have explanations and names for our experiences, and we find them. That isn't bad. In fact, it is wonderful. As with children, however, maturity needs to outgrow limited fantasy. A six year old that still believes in Santa is somewhat handicapped; a twenty-six year old is absurd and/or retarded.

Not believing in capitalism or communism does not make one necessarily anti.

Last edited:

Judaism is very tolerant towards Gentiles, less towards Jews themsleves. But then again, it depends which and who and at what circumstances:eusa_angel:

Is that why they intermarry so much and the mother fakes a heart attack when her daughter brings home a non-Jew? You even have a name for non-Jews, kinda like making them wear a star of david with a line through it, or maybe a tattoo?
And you're SOOOOO tolerant to all those "gentiles" in Gaza and the WB. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lmao:

Is that why they intermarry so much and the mother fakes a heart attack when her daughter brings home a non-Jew? You even have a name for non-Jews, kinda like making them wear a star of david with a line through it, or maybe a tattoo?
And you're SOOOOO tolerant to all those "gentiles" in Gaza and the WB. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lmao:

Is Judaism limited to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

Why don't you stop pulling things out of the hat and think for once?

Your anti-religious views made you a bigger bigot than any religious poster here.

Your anti-religious views made you a bigger bigot than any religious poster here.
You know I'm right so you call me names. Typical.

Religions foster hate and division, so don't shoot the messenger.

Your views suit bigotry, and its bad when it's against religion just when it COMES from religion.

Your views suit bigotry, and its bad when it's against religion just when it COMES from religion.
I'm just stating a fact: religions foster division (everyone goes into separate religious groupings), and hate (they teach you that every other religion but your own is wrong, and some even teach to kill the ones who don't agree with your religion).
It has nothing to do with my personal biases.

[q

Simplistic answer that.

Should we tolerate murderers and rapists and other evils in the world. No we should not so you might want to qualify your simple un-workable and foolish "No"

You might remember that all our laws are based on intolerance and discrimination of certain groups in our society, like murderers, and that tolerance is a two edged sword.

Regards
DL

I'm just stating a fact: religions foster division (everyone goes into separate religious groupings), and hate (they teach you that every other religion but your own is wrong, and some even teach to kill the ones who don't agree with your religion).
It has nothing to do with my personal biases.

It does, but it has positive qualities which you refuse to notice.

[q

Simplistic answer that.

Should we tolerate murderers and rapists and other evils in the world. No we should not so you might want to qualify your simple un-workable and foolish "No"

You might remember that all our laws are based on intolerance and discrimination of certain groups in our society, like murderers, and that tolerance is a two edged sword.

Regards
DL

You obviously did not understand what I was saying.

I don't care for your laws, I think many of them are stupid, but that's for your comminities to solve. the question was about tolerance, was it not? I stick to my answer.

[q

Simplistic answer that.

Regards
DL

I don't care for your laws, I think many of them are stupid, but that's for your comminities to solve. the question was about tolerance, was it not? I stick to my answer.

You are tolerant of murderers and rapists then are you?

Regards
DL

" And it does require as much faith to disbelieve as it does to believe."

I don't believe so.

Of course it does. When you can find no civilization that has ever existed, no matter how isolated, that did not develop some sense of unseen being or beings greater than themselves; when the vast majority of people on Earth have some sense of a diety; when more than 90% of Americans believe in God; there is overwhelming evidence for some kind of phenomenon that causes such belief.

Of course you cannot prove to me that God does not exist any more than I can prove to you that God does exist. But with such a cloud of witnesses spanning the many millenia of recorded history that we have expressing a sense of deity, it absolutely every bit as much faith to disbelieve as it does to believe.

I call that the flat earth view of atheist. Everyone believes the earth is flat. We don't go sailing off into the abyss after all. So it takes more faith to believe the earth is a sphere..

No, it takes methodical thinking devoid of faith.

I think one could make the point that it takes more effort to be an atheist than a christian. That could be true. But it requires no faith whatsoever.

Faith is the evidence of things hoped for. That is the bibles definition.

Reasoned thinking requires more than hope.

Simplistic answer that.

Regards
DL

You are tolerant of murderers and rapists then are you?

Regards
DL

I have no idea how you come to such a conclusion

But so does professed lack of religion. Some of the most hateful people out there are the Atheists who are intent on pushing their version of 'religious freedom' on everybody else and who would deny the pleasures and comfort of religious practices and comforts to others so that 'nobody is offended' yadda yadda.

And who can deny that some of the worst atrocities humans can inflict on other humans has been commited by those determined to remove God from the social equation and make Atheism the official religion of the land; i.e. Lenin, Stalin, communist China, the juche policy of North Korea, etc.

True intolerance is to allow others their religious beliefs and practices without opposition, interference, or judgmentalism. Those who accuse believers of embracing myths and fantasy or who denigrate the relgious because they are religious are in no way tolerant.

Forum List

Back