What's the most intolerant religion?

Many, if not most, adult believers, at least Christian believers, have experienced something of the Divine. For them it is as much certainty as it is fath, though it does require faith to embrace the Devine in lieu of faith in only the human ability.

In my opinion, one has to reject or push to the back of their minds too many unanswered questions, or has to ignore too much absolute reality, in order to profess Atheism as their belief system. And I still say it takes as much faith to do that as it does to believe in God. :)

I’m just not understanding this thought process.

I’m not a believer. There’s no active thought process, set of rituals, traditions or ceremonies that are needed or required to not believe. I’d propose that Atheism is really little more a conclusion based upon the facts and evidence available.

Really? When you have more than 90% of the population across the globe believing in some sort of diety and a belief in some sort of deity existing in every culture in human history, how do you shrug that off and say so what?

When you have a couple of billion Christians and Jews professing beiief in God and a majority of these professing personal experience of the presence of God in their lives, how do you just disregard that as evidence? Most especially when many of them are well educated, intelligent, cohereant, well adjusted, and successful adults?

If you were blind, would you discount the presence of shadows or clouds in the sky or that people can see stars in the heaven purely based on the fact that you could have never seen or experienced that? I have never seen certain kinds of foods, or heard certain musical instruments, and have never researched them, let alone tasted them, yet I believe that these exist based on no more evidence than others have told me they have seen and tasted them.

In my opinion, a person has to push aside way too much credible testimony and evidence in the universe itself in order to disbelieve there is no universal presence or intelligence behind it all. And it becomes such an obsession with so many Atheists who are drawn again and again to threads like this, who go out of their way to belittle or diminish or dispute the faith of others, who are so passionate to install their religion as the norm in society, that I have to believe it is faith based.

And while it does not apply to all Atheists, I also have come to the conclusion that Atheism as a religion is perhaps the most intolerant of modern religions.
You make many claims and assign theistic belief to others when your claims and assignments are false.

While it is true that many cultures had deities and superstitions, clearly not all were theistic in intent or in practice. There have been cultures which assigned causes of natural events to many supernatural agents, not necessarily gods. However, I certainly do acknowledge that more recent cultures have invented many gods to account for natural processes they didn't understand. Gods of fire, gods of the oceans, gods of rain, gods of thunder, lightning, etc., etc., have shared time with various mystical entities. But that says nothing about whether the claims are true or not. Most religions make absolute claims, and thus most of those claims contradict each other. Therefore the only certainty is that most absolute claims are actually false.

We are also profoundly superstitious as a people. We, however (for some inexplicable, probably selfish reasons) call our preferred superstitions "religions" and assign them a certain deference that would appear to me they don’t really deserve. You, personally, may not believe all religions are from god, the bad news is that you don’t get a vote on which is the true definition of god(s). God or god(s) seem to have left many contradictory conceptions of what they expect people to accept. Whether a single one of these definitions is true or something completely different, you simply have to deal with it. You don’t really get a vote in the matter and it’s not a majority rules issue .

Religions, as gods, come and go with cultures and civilizations. Consider the Romans, for example. Not only were they exceedingly tolerant of other nation's gods, they actually assumed that those gods were also true. Certainly, they found the earlier Egyptian gods to be a bit… um… strange, but they still considered them powerful and extant. In a profoundly spectacular acknowledgement of their own superstitions and lack of knowledge regarding the gods, the Romans also worshiped "the unknown god." Think of this as essentially praying to the, "to whom it may concern" gods with the explicit understanding that nobody had exclusive or full knowledge of the real nature of THE god or gods... sort of "the gods to be announced at a later date", or… the "gods to suit any occasion", so to speak. Certainly, this idea was borrowed from the earlier Greeks. The Greeks even built a temple in Athens to this: Agnostos Theos.

Unknown God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lastly, while you may find challenges to your religious belief to be unacceptable, you will have to accept that as part of posting your opinions in a public discussion board. Similarly, to define Atheism as a religion suggests you simply don't understand the connection between theism, gods and that lack of connection in an Atheistic perspective.

Last edited:
The most intolerant religion is theism.

:thanks:

m0168.gif

All religion are equally intolerant.

Who cares? And for those who do, Why?

I care and here is why.

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists as well as those who do not believe. They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief or not. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic are evil.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClUCw4&feature=PlayList&p=5123864A5243470E&index=0&playnext=1]Religulous [part 1] - YouTube[/ame]

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI&feature=related]In The name Of Jesus: Child Witches (1 of 2) - YouTube[/ame]

Jesus Camp 1of 9
LiveLeak.com - Jesus Camp - Part 1 (3)

Death to Gays.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_BVzw&feature=related]Rachel Maddow interviews David Bahati - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
Fight them when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
DL

I’m just not understanding this thought process.

I’m not a believer. There’s no active thought process, set of rituals, traditions or ceremonies that are needed or required to not believe. I’d propose that Atheism is really little more a conclusion based upon the facts and evidence available.

Really? When you have more than 90% of the population across the globe believing in some sort of diety and a belief in some sort of deity existing in every culture in human history, how do you shrug that off and say so what?

When you have a couple of billion Christians and Jews professing beiief in God and a majority of these professing personal experience of the presence of God in their lives, how do you just disregard that as evidence? Most especially when many of them are well educated, intelligent, cohereant, well adjusted, and successful adults?

If you were blind, would you discount the presence of shadows or clouds in the sky or that people can see stars in the heaven purely based on the fact that you could have never seen or experienced that? I have never seen certain kinds of foods, or heard certain musical instruments, and have never researched them, let alone tasted them, yet I believe that these exist based on no more evidence than others have told me they have seen and tasted them.

In my opinion, a person has to push aside way too much credible testimony and evidence in the universe itself in order to disbelieve there is no universal presence or intelligence behind it all. And it becomes such an obsession with so many Atheists who are drawn again and again to threads like this, who go out of their way to belittle or diminish or dispute the faith of others, who are so passionate to install their religion as the norm in society, that I have to believe it is faith based.

And while it does not apply to all Atheists, I also have come to the conclusion that Atheism as a religion is perhaps the most intolerant of modern religions.
You make many claims and assign theistic belief to others when your claims and assignments are false.

While it is true that many cultures had deities and superstitions, clearly not all were theistic in intent or in practice. There have been cultures which assigned causes of natural events to many supernatural agents, not necessarily gods. However, I certainly do acknowledge that more recent cultures have invented many gods to account for natural processes they didn't understand. Gods of fire, gods of the oceans, gods of rain, gods of thunder, lightning, etc., etc., have shared time with various mystical entities. But that says nothing about whether the claims are true or not. Most religions make absolute claims, and thus most of those claims contradict each other. Therefore the only certainty is that most absolute claims are actually false.

We are also profoundly superstitious as a people. We, however (for some inexplicable, probably selfish reasons) call our preferred superstitions "religions" and assign them a certain deference that would appear to me they don’t really deserve. You, personally, may not believe all religions are from god, the bad news is that you don’t get a vote on which is the true definition of god(s). God or god(s) seem to have left many contradictory conceptions of what they expect people to accept. Whether a single one of these definitions is true or something completely different, you simply have to deal with it. You don’t really get a vote in the matter and it’s not a majority rules issue .

Religions, as gods, come and go with cultures and civilizations. Consider the Romans, for example. Not only were they exceedingly tolerant of other nation's gods, they actually assumed that those gods were also true. Certainly, they found the earlier Egyptian gods to be a bit… um… strange, but they still considered them powerful and extant. In a profoundly spectacular acknowledgement of their own superstitions and lack of knowledge regarding the gods, the Romans also worshiped "the unknown god." Think of this as essentially praying to the, "to whom it may concern" gods with the explicit understanding that nobody had exclusive or full knowledge of the real nature of THE god or gods... sort of "the gods to be announced at a later date", or… the "gods to suit any occasion", so to speak. Certainly, this idea was borrowed from the earlier Greeks. The Greeks even built a temple in Athens to this: Agnostos Theos.

Unknown God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lastly, while you may find challenges to your religious belief to be unacceptable, you will have to accept that as part of posting your opinions in a public discussion board. Similarly, to define Atheism as a religion suggests you simply don't understand the connection between theism, gods and that lack of connection in an Atheistic perspective.

I accept that you think I'm full of baloney--you certainly aren't the first and won't be the last. And for now, I will just ignore the mischaracterization of my stated opinions.

I will just leave it with I am pretty darn confident that I know the defiinition of religion, and I am confident in my knowledge that no culture in all of recorded human existance has failed to develop some sort of religious belief, some sort of reverence for something larger and more powerful than themselves.

And I still say that the hardcore legalistic fundamentalists of all religions who would force their beliefs on others are the most intolerant, and that would include the relatively small group of Atheists who go out of their way to force their religious preferences on believers.

Last edited:
It seems a lack of religion is more intolerant than said religons... interesting.

Another utterly vapid assertion by a theist. Atheists have no cause to be intolerant as a group, since there is no binding ideology, other than to form a defensive posture against religious fanatics (the christian right lunatics) from trying to conflate church and state. That is the only cause that coalesces us, and might make is appear "intolerant," buy in reality, this perceived intolerance is a reaction against theists trying to circumvent the first amendment.

Well, next Christmas let's have the Christians come to your town and set up a living nativity at your town hall free of charge. The Jews will not complain, the Moslems will not complain, the Catholics and Protestants will not complain, and the Mormons will not complain ---- I dare say that Hindus will not complain. BUT the ACLU and some other Atheists will show up and claim that they are fighters for freedom and that means a separation of the State from Church and demand its removal. How tolerant of them...

This has nothing to do with tolerance. It has to do with the constituation. If atheists are paying for christian disaplays, that is a violation of the first amenment. This is not arguable. It is the not motivation of atheists to suppress christian belief or celebration, but merely, the demolition of the first ammendment, because as it is, christians have been getting by with a special exemption from the first amendment in having public town displays, because of an argument from popularity, essentially. Well, christianity just isn't that popular anymore. Atheists are merely callying you on and it, and you don't like it. Boo fucking hoo. This is the usual christian victimization complex. I'll say it again: you have been getting away with breaking the first ammendment for a long time. That time is over.

Personally, I like christmas displays, so this is not about my personal dislike or like of christmas displays, but about constitutional consideration.

Last edited:
My practice of my religion doesn't involve you. If you don't want to participate, don't, but shut the fuck up. I'm TIRED of listening to you bitch about my nativity set, "In God, We Trust" on out money and the 10 Commandments on the wall of the court house.
If these things offend you, tough shit. They comfort me.
The First Amendment is about freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

I'm not sure how to respond to something so idiotic.

Just say something stupid you are good at that.

I don't give a shit what comforts you. I give a shit about the constitution, and you are in breach of its first amendment. Although, it seems you don't understand it. It is no wonder you think it would allow you to use public money for your own personal religion. And you call yourself an american...now shut the fuck up, you little whiny dumbass.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to respond to something so idiotic.

I don't give a shit what comforts you. I give a shit about the constitution, and you are in breach of its first amendment. Although, it seems you don't understand it. It is no wonder you think it would allow you to use public money for your own personal religion. And you call yourself an american...now shut the fuck up, you little whiny dumbass.
Fuck you, we're just as tired of paying for you atheist fucks to teach your bullshit theory of evolution to our children too. Peddle that shit on your OWN dime, asshole.

Fuck you, we're just as tired of paying for you atheist fucks to teach your bullshit theory of evolution to our children too. Peddle that shit on your OWN dime, asshole.

Because the world was made by a slow (6 days) invisible superbeing in another dimension that no one's ever been to?

Because the world was made by a slow (6 days) invisible superbeing in another dimension that no one's ever been to?
That's right, change the subject.

Why, when I can peddle it on yours? I find that it works out a lot better for me, to have those that disbelieve in my theory, to pay for teachers to indoctrinate their own children. It also acts as a beautiful piece of poetic justice for all of the badgering, indoctrination, murder, discrimination, and bigotry that christianity has caused over the last two thousand years. Because my theory has actual evidence, is corroborated across several discplines, and has been unchallenged for 150 years, that is my fucking right. So, shut the fuck up.

Another utterly vapid assertion by a theist. Atheists have no cause to be intolerant as a group, since there is no binding ideology, other than to form a defensive posture against religious fanatics (the christian right lunatics) from trying to conflate church and state. That is the only cause that coalesces us, and might make is appear "intolerant," buy in reality, this perceived intolerance is a reaction against theists trying to circumvent the first amendment.

Well, next Christmas let's have the Christians come to your town and set up a living nativity at your town hall free of charge. The Jews will not complain, the Moslems will not complain, the Catholics and Protestants will not complain, and the Mormons will not complain ---- I dare say that Hindus will not complain. BUT the ACLU and some other Atheists will show up and claim that they are fighters for freedom and that means a separation of the State from Church and demand its removal. How tolerant of them...

This has nothing to do with tolerance. It has to do with the constituation. If atheists are paying for christian disaplays, that is a violation of the first amenment. This is not arguable. It is the not motivation of atheists to suppress christian belief or celebration, but merely, the demolition of the first ammendment, because as it is, christians have been getting by with a special exemption from the first amendment in having public town displays, because of an argument from popularity, essentially. Well, christianity just isn't that popular anymore. Atheists are merely callying you on and it, and you don't like it. Boo fucking hoo. This is the usual christian victimization complex. I'll say it again: you have been getting away with breaking the first ammendment for a long time. That time is over.

Personally, I like christmas displays, so this is not about my personal dislike or like of christmas displays, but about constitutional consideration.

Why shouldn't Christians be able to have beautiful Christmas displays if they want them and pay for them? Even in the town's square which also belong to the Christians. The whole community celebrates Christmas, it usually is the season that creates a profit for many local businesses, and it is a federally established national holiday. So long as the town doesn't restrict a display to ONLY Christians, but would also allow the Jews to celebrate Hannukah with their own display or the Muslims, if any, to celebrate Ramadan or whatever, how does it possibly hurt any soul for the Christians to celebrate Christmas on property they pay taxes on and own as citizens of that community?

How is it not intolerant to take offense at a Christian display and demand that it be removed from public property? It isn't costing the Atheist anything. Nothing whatsoever is required of the Atheist other than his/her non interference. And such non interference is what tolerance is. Trying to make a historic creche on a courthouse lawn, one built, erected, and maintained by private citizens, some kind of Constitutional violation is not only disingenuous, but clearly intolerance.

Why, when I can peddle it on yours? I find that it works out a lot better for me, to have those that disbelieve in my theory, to pay for teachers to indoctrinate their own children. It also acts as a beautiful piece of poetic justice for all of the badgering, indoctrination, murder, discrimination, and bigotry that christianity has caused over the last two thousand years. Because my theory has actual evidence, is corroborated across several discplines, and has been unchallenged for 150 years, that is my fucking right. So, shut the fuck up.
Fuck you again. And don't give me that shit about "unchallenged evidence". After 150 years, you fucks STILL can't prove your ridiculous fucking theory so YOU shut the fuck up.

For some Nazi-ism was a means to an end. Not something they believed in based on faith as much as something they recognized as expedient to achieve certain goals, most especially those of power, influence, and personal advantage.

For others it may indeed have been faith based.

There is sometimes a slim to vanishing dividing line between political and religious beliefs.\

Atheism however is based entirely on a concept that there is no God. That makes it entirely faith based for I say again, it requires as much faith to disbelieve in God as it does to believe there is a God. And because Atheists organize, conduct ritual, dispense dogma and doctrine re the anti-God concept, and have no other purpose for being, THAT is what makes Atheism a religion.

It does not take faith to disbelieve in a positive claim for which there is no evidence. Only the opposite is true. Does it take faith to disbelieve the claim that Bigfoot exists? No. Because the burden of proof is on those making the claim. Until they furnish demonstrable evidence, you are justified in disbelief and the requires no faith. The same is with god. Those who claim a god or gods exist have provided no demonstrable evidence for thousands of years. Their belief rests on a complete lack of evidence, which is the definition of faith. Disbelieving this claim does not require any evidence, since disbelievers do not carry the burden of proof, therefore it logically can not be said to be require faith in order to disbelieve. That is logically incoherent. It is a vacuous assertion to say that it does.

You mean to tell me that in your entire life (so far) you have never requested God's guidance, or ask for Divine help? And you never received any responce? Example: Driving home in a sudden heavy snow storm --- "Oh dear Lord, please help me get home safe." or perhaps, "Please God, let my wife get home safe." Mybe you studied for a test, "God, I studied so hard, please work this out." Or what about, "Dear Jesus, my dog ran away and I miss him so much, please bring him home." HOW about, " ______ is very sick... Please bring healing."

Now, if you have ------ well, it seems to me that (1) either you were talking to yourself, or (2) you expected an answer...

But, if you have made an effort to not mention God ---- not say anything regarding God because you KNOW full well that there is "NO GOD", well, that becomes an effort, and that effort is your belief. Either way, you believe something.

Now, I have no reason to believe that Bigfoot is real or not real. He never did anything for me or anyone I ever talked to. But, if I was lost in the wild and heard noises and growling, you bet your life I'd start to pray to God ------------ even HARDER!

God has answered my prayers. Just recently I asked God to help me keep an appointment. My wife needed me to help her out. I left it in God's hands. I had no way of being in two places at the same time and though one appointment was earlier, I learned that it was going to run overtime... That person called and had break the appointment --- TOTALLY irregular for this individual. And so I was able to help out my wife and there was no problem. GOD worked it out! No stress, no issues.

And simple little stuff happens around me all the time but usually only when I included a prayer to God. Now, sometimes He has prevented an accident. But I always thank God for looking over me.

But, if you are not going to consider God, how do you expect to prove God exists? God is waiting to hear from you.

Whether I have or haven't makes no difference here. This is a red herring.

Fuck you again. And don't give me that shit about "unchallenged evidence". After 150 years, you fucks STILL can't prove your ridiculous fucking theory so YOU shut the fuck up.

You are a little whiny bitch. Please, shut the fuck up?

Last edited:

You are a little whiny bitch.
An you're an arrogant little punk. Fuck you AND your stupid fucking theory.

You are a little whiny bitch.
An you're an arrogant little punk. Fuck you AND your stupid fucking theory.

Little punk? I would beat the shit out of you, but I don't hit dumb little bitches.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back