What's the most intolerant religion?

The most intolerant religion is the one where people believe in an invisible superbeing in another dimension.

No.

The most intolerant religion is the one where people strap bombs to their bodies and send planes into buildings in order to kill innocent people! all in the name of Allah!

Not all terrorists are Muslim, only a very small %.
But most all terrorists are Muslim.

[
What difference does it make though if somebody worships idols or sheep or dwarfs so long as nothing is required of you either materially or physically? The topic of this thread is tolerance. Tolerance is allowing others to believe or think or do whatever they want that does not violate the rights of anybody else; that requires no contribution of any kind from anybody else.

There is little of wisdom in the bible thanks to it's corruption over time but this bit is wise.

Proverbs 3:12
For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

We would still be in the trees if none of us corrected foolish thinking.

It is our duty to our fellow man and reciprocity is a moral tenet of almost all religions.

Do you like to be wrong in your thinking?
Do you not like being corrected when wrong?

Regards
DL

But the thread isn't about correct thinking. It is about religious intolerance that seeks to marginalize or punish or disallow the thoughts, beliefs, and practices of others that do not require anything of us in any way.

Jesus amended some Old Testament teachings, however, by suggesting that we should not be so concerned about those who break the rules, but to rather lead by our own example. I am fairly certain that there is a tiny, tiny minority of people who have ever been persuaded to seek heaven because they were told they were going to hell. And I wonder how many people have not accepted Christ because of the self righteous or hateful way that He was introduced to them? However well intended one might have been, I don't think God approves of that kind of missionary effort. :)

But so far as the topic goes, in my opinion, those who want to be tolerated are hypocrites if they are not equally tolerant of the beliefs, customs, and practices of others so long as that requires nothing of the non believer. Tolerance is not the same things as acceptance or approval. It is simply the ability to not interfere, to live and let live.

Nicely stated.

In connection with your comment: “I am fairly certain that there is a tiny, tiny minority of people who have ever been persuaded to seek heaven because they were told they were going to hell” , I would have to disagree.

So here you hit the nail on the head as to one of the various dynamics that motivates religious beliefs: FEAR, fear of being condemned to hell for not believing, the deep seated fear of dying, fear of the unknown and a desire to experience our lives. Perhaps not everyone shares those feeling, perhaps not everyone can. The best way to ameliorate the idea of such injustice and to improving the world is to actively be involved in making this world the kind of world it should be. The onus is on us, not a father figure who will vent his anger and punish us for eternity for not "believing".

If you are comforted by your religious beliefs then there is nothing more to say except that your belief being unsupported and lacking in demonstration may mean you’re living an illusion. I’ve always maintained, I could be wrong, there could be a god, (there’s no reason to assume the Christian conception of god is THE god), or many gods. But the answer is exactly the same. Actively be a participant in making this the kind of world that minimizes human suffering. Saying, "it’s impossible" or "man can never achieve that" is clearly surrendering before you even begin. Would it be easy to do? No. Is it possible? Yeah. Of course it is.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. The answer again is the same -- let's say you spend your entire life making it as good a world as you can -- is your life somehow wasted if there is no god? Does it count against you? No, it doesn't.

You, all of us, can contribute to making the world better. Do you really need the carrot of an eternal reward to invest a few decades to the human condition? Does it all "matter in the end"? No, but it does matter while you're here. And that's good enough.

In connection with your comment: “ Tolerance is not the same things as acceptance or approval. It is simply the ability to not interfere, to live and let live”, again, nicely stated.

I think that religions can be polarizing in that they are designed to create divisions.

Believing in a particular god(s) makes people feel like they are "on the right team" (else why believe that way??), and while many Christians may try to be humble in terms of their asserted salvation, the fact is, people don’t accept Christianity in an attempt to not have salvation. That was the point of the faith and the promise of Jesus in the first place!

The belief that “I have the “correct” religion” is the engine that drives intolerance because obviously, if someone has chosen differently, they are wrong, deluded, “in denial” or otherwise purposely rejecting the “correct” message. And my overwhelming experience is that believers find it very easy to believe because the dynamic of the belief system makes you feel good about choosing "correctly" and it addresses your concerns about mortality. It just doesn't back them up with any authority.

Last edited:
The most intolerant religion is the one that uses wealthy lawyers to sue anybody they can who "offends" them by mentioning God.

No.

The most intolerant religion is the one where people strap bombs to their bodies and send planes into buildings in order to kill innocent people! all in the name of Allah!

People who were driven to those acts by what followers of Judaism did to them, with the help of Christians. Please try again.

That is what they tell the 13 year old kids while they train them to be suicide bombers.
But the citizens of their own countries know better.
Hamas and Hezbollah set up command posts, field operations and barracks in hospitals, schools, mosques and any other public area and then pray that the Isrealis will attack it.
They get a lot of their own innocent people killed but they do not care.
They get more publicity that way.
You are the perfect example how their propaganda works.

Holy deflection Batman! Sorry, what you posted has nothing to do with what I said. Please try again.

People who were driven to those acts by what followers of Judaism did to them, with the help of Christians. Please try again.

That is what they tell the 13 year old kids while they train them to be suicide bombers.
Hamas and Hezbollah set up command posts, field operations and barracks in hospitals, schools, mosques and any other public area and then pray that the Isrealis will attack it.

Holy deflection Batman! Sorry, what you posted has nothing to do with what I said. Please try again.

You posted rank hearsay straight from the talking points of Hamas and Hezbollah.
You bought their propaganda.
These animals hide behind innocent people and go and bomb elementary schools and slit the throats of kids and you blame someone else.
Sorry your body bag has no zippers on the inside.

You posted rank hearsay straight from the talking points of Hamas and Hezbollah.
These animals hide behind innocent people and go and bomb elementary schools and slit the throats of kids and you blame someone else.
So you're saying that the arabs started a war to kick themselves of their own land? :cuckoo:

So you're saying that the arabs started a war to kick themselves of their own land? :cuckoo:

Amazing how ignorant you are.
Starting in the 1840s Jews started buying up land in Palestine, a land named that by the British as there never has been a country of Palestine.
There has never been a land, civilization, nation or people of Palestine.
From 1800 to 1950 most all of the land purchased by the Jews were very large land tracts that were owned by wealthy Arabs.
The Arabs hate Palestinians as they are treated like dirt by them. No Palestinian can work a professional job in any Arab country. They are the ******* of the middle east.
The wealthy Arabs sold that desolate land to the Jews and the Jews made an oasis out of it. Since the Arabs will not take in the Palestinians anywhere they want to make it a religious war and take the Israeli land.
History 101, need more?
And I am one that believes we coddle Israel too much on many issues but what you post is pure fiction.

Starting in the 1840s Jews started buying up land in Palestine, a land named that by the British as there never has been a country of Palestine.
From 1800 to 1950 most all of the land purchased by the Jews were very large land tracts that were owned by wealthy Arabs.
The Arabs hate Palestinians as they are treated like dirt by them. No Palestinian can work a professional job in any Arab country. They are the ******* of the middle east.
The wealthy Arabs sold that desolate land to the Jews and the Jews made an oasis out of it. Since the Arabs will not take in the Palestinians anywhere they want to make it a religious war and take the Israeli land.
History 101, need more?
And I am one that believes we coddle Israel too much on many issues but what you post is pure fiction.

So the right of return that the Pals want is pure fiction? No pals or arabs lost their land in the creation of Israel? :cuckoo:

[
What difference does it make though if somebody worships idols or sheep or dwarfs so long as nothing is required of you either materially or physically? The topic of this thread is tolerance. Tolerance is allowing others to believe or think or do whatever they want that does not violate the rights of anybody else; that requires no contribution of any kind from anybody else.

There is little of wisdom in the bible thanks to it's corruption over time but this bit is wise.

Proverbs 3:12
For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

We would still be in the trees if none of us corrected foolish thinking.

It is our duty to our fellow man and reciprocity is a moral tenet of almost all religions.

Do you like to be wrong in your thinking?
Do you not like being corrected when wrong?

Regards
DL

But the thread isn't about correct thinking. It is about religious intolerance that seeks to marginalize or punish or disallow the thoughts, beliefs, and practices of others that do not require anything of us in any way.

Jesus amended some Old Testament teachings, however, by suggesting that we should not be so concerned about those who break the rules, but to rather lead by our own example. I am fairly certain that there is a tiny, tiny minority of people who have ever been persuaded to seek heaven because they were told they were going to hell. And I wonder how many people have not accepted Christ because of the self righteous or hateful way that He was introduced to them? However well intended one might have been, I don't think God approves of that kind of missionary effort. :)

But so far as the topic goes, in my opinion, those who want to be tolerated are hypocrites if they are not equally tolerant of the beliefs, customs, and practices of others so long as that requires nothing of the non believer. Tolerance is not the same things as acceptance or approval. It is simply the ability to not interfere, to live and let live.

If we are not to correct innoquous beliefs, even if they harm no one, that would mean that we do not care about the mental health of our fellow man.

To not tell the man who harms no one with his belief that elephants all wear skirts and can dance the mamba is helping him get or stay insane.

You can take that immoral position if you like. I will not. I will correct.

Regards
DL

History 101, need more?

So the right of return that the Pals want is pure fiction? No pals or arabs lost their land in the creation of Israel? :cuckoo:

They can return all they want if they buy their own land.
And if no one is selling then they can not come.
They want TO BE GIVEN THE LAND.

History 101, need more?

They can return all they want if they buy their own land.
And if no one is selling then they can not come.
They want TO BE GIVEN THE LAND.
Can they rent a flat? :lol:

Forum List

Back