'When I Was 21, I Terminated A Pregnancy And Was So Grateful'

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
When she was in her 20s, actress Amy Brenneman decided to terminate a pregnancy. It's been 30 years since, and all these years later she's still woefully dissatisfied with the way abortions are discussed in America.

During a conversation with HuffPost Live on Thursday about her role in HBO's "The Leftovers," Brenneman told host Alyona Minkovski that it's not acceptable for abortion to be continually "demonized" despite being "the law of the land."

The issue is important to Brenneman, who in 2006 signed a Ms. Magazine petition alongside 5,000 women who declared "We Had Abortions." The feature was a reboot of a similar petition that ran in the magazines's 1972 debut issue, and the 2006 update included celebrities like Brenneman, Gloria Steinem and Kathy Najimy alongside thousands of everyday women.

"When I was 21, I terminated a pregnancy and was so grateful, and it was not a bad experience, and I had a sweet boyfriend and a sweet doctor," Brenneman told HuffPost Live.

The shocking lack of progress since then is what prompted her to sign the Ms. petition in 2006. "I thought, 'Oh my god. The fact that 20 years later, it would be worse?'" she said. "Going backwards -- it's insane to me."

It's now been 10 years since she signed the petition, and attacks on Planned Parenthood and women's reproductive rights are still alive and well.

"That kind of gender stuff, it just kills me," Brenneman said, adding that she's among the thousands of people who were moved by a viral Facebook post comparing the difficulty in obtaining an abortion and obtaining a gun.

'The Leftovers' Star Amy Brenneman On Why Abortions Shouldn’t Be 'Demonized'

So much for the right-wing horror stories about abortions.

The choice is the woman's. For some it is right, for others not. It can't be a one size fits all situation. The reason for wanting to carry or not is very personal and deserves thought, but fortunately we have the right to choose.

Until the day comes when abortion does not end the life of another human being, it most certainly will continue to be demonized, as it should be. It is the most immoral thing one person can do to another. It's wrong, period.

Abortion ends the life of another human being and you morons want to sanitize it, wrap it in a bow, refer to it as 'healthcare', and polish it off with a big old dose of 'choice'. This issue will never go away so stop whining about it.

The old Squaw is full of LIBERAL COMPASSION!

liberal-compassion-at-36-weeks.jpg

The choice is the woman's. For some it is right, for others not. It can't be a one size fits all situation. The reason for wanting to carry or not is very personal and deserves thought, but fortunately we have the right to choose.
Wrong

It already is. Every abortion ends the same way, with a dead human being. There is no getting around that fact, Jack. The 'reason' is irrelevant, as the result is a dead human being whose life was intentionally ended (think about that for a sec) by the one person who should be looking out for them.

Of course she was grateful. Abortion allowed her to escape the consequences of her actions and decisions.

Forum List

Back