Where do you live and why? Why don't you live elsewhere? Where instead might you live?

Not exactly why I live in DC, but something that makes living in D.C. fantastic: there's always something fun to do.

The answers to the two title questions are for most folks overlapped, but I suspect they aren't entirely the same.

Where I live and why:
  • Where: Washington, D.C. -- downtown
  • Why:
    • Because I like cities where I can walk to much of what I want to do and where, when I don't walk, it rarely takes more than ten minutes to get where I want to go.
    • Because D.C. is, to my eyes, a beautiful city (the parts people live in as well as the federal part of the city) with an abundance of trees and parks.
    • I grew up in D.C. and insofar as nothing has militated that I move elsewhere, I just haven't.
    • It's reasonably close to both the shore and the mountains.
    • D.C. is fairly well insulated from natural disasters.
    • D.C. has good public transportation and decent access to the rest of the world via air travel.
    • D.C. is one of the nation's intellectual hubs.
    • D.C. is a small city.
    • D.C. is diverse -- there are people of (nearly?) all races, creeds, nationalities, and lifestyles in D.C.
    • The weather is temperate.
    • The variety of dining options is awesome.
    • There're decent performing arts.
Why I don't live elsewhere:
  • Mostly because living in D.C. isn't, for me, "broken," so there's no point in my trying to "fix" it by moving elsewhere.
  • The type of work I undertook to pursue as a career has no physical location constraints.
Where else do I think I could live happily?
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Denver, CO -- provided I didn't think Yellowstone would erupt during my lifetime
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
    • Any number of "old word" style cities -- downtown is a nice place and one can walk to "everything" -- on the East Coast Piedmont plateau or Mountain Northwest (well north and/or west of Yellowstone) that is far enough from the ocean not to have to worry about hurricane storm surge and having a topography that is varied enough to keep tornados to a minimum and that doesn't generally have earthquakes.
  • Outside the U.S.
    • Any major European city -- capital cities are my preference -- that doesn't need a wall of some sort to keep out the ocean and that isn't prone to quakes and volcanic eruptions. I would love to live in Amsterdam, but there's no way I would live in A-dam. Paris would be my first choice.
If there's any central theme to why I live where I do and don't live where I don't, it's that I have no desire to live in places where nature's unforeseen "drama" can "reach out and touch" me and my family in our home.
Chicago is fantastic. I live across the street from Wrigley Field. There are 12 live theaters within walking distance. Since retirement, I work out of an art studio. Almost every block has a street fair during the summer. Barbecue, art, Asian Street Food, Blues, a different "theme" for every fair.

Chicago has some of the best educational institutions in the world. Museums, art institutes, zoos, conservatories, planetarium, it has it all.

Right wingers like to put down Chicago. But look them and where they live. Appalachia is like a third world country right here in the US. And everywhere they spread, the economy falls apart and racism flourishes.

The answers to the two title questions are for most folks overlapped, but I suspect they aren't entirely the same.

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • Because I like cities where I can walk to much of what I want to do and where, when I don't walk, it rarely takes more than ten minutes to get where I want to go.
    • Because D.C. is, to my eyes, a beautiful city (the parts people live in as well as the federal part of the city) with an abundance of trees and parks.
    • I grew up in D.C. and insofar as nothing has militated that I move elsewhere, I just haven't.
    • D.C. has good public transportation and decent access to the rest of the world via air travel.
    • D.C. is a small city.
    • D.C. is diverse -- there are people of (nearly?) all races, creeds, nationalities, and lifestyles in D.C.
  • Mostly because living in D.C. isn't, for me, "broken," so there's no point in my trying to "fix" it by moving elsewhere.
  • The type of work I undertook to pursue as a career has no physical location constraints.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Denver, CO -- provided I didn't think Yellowstone would erupt during my lifetime
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
    • Any number of "old word" style cities -- downtown is a nice place and one can walk to "everything" -- on the East Coast Piedmont plateau or Mountain Northwest (well north and/or west of Yellowstone) that is far enough from the ocean not to have to worry about hurricane storm surge and having a topography that is varied enough to keep tornados to a minimum and that doesn't generally have earthquakes.
  • Outside the U.S.
    • Any major European city -- capital cities are my preference -- that doesn't need a wall of some sort to keep out the ocean and that isn't prone to quakes and volcanic eruptions. I would love to live in Amsterdam, but there's no way I would live in A-dam. Paris would be my first choice.
If there's any central theme to why I live where I do and don't live where I don't, it's that I have no desire to live in places where nature's unforeseen "drama" can "reach out and touch" me and my family in our home.
Chicago is fantastic. I live across the street from Wrigley Field. There are 12 live theaters within walking distance. Since retirement, I work out of an art studio. Almost every block has a street fair during the summer. Barbecue, art, Asian Street Food, Blues, a different "theme" for every fair.

Chicago has some of the best educational institutions in the world. Museums, art institutes, zoos, conservatories, planetarium, it has it all.

Right wingers like to put down Chicago. But look them and where they live. Appalachia is like a third world country right here in the US. And everywhere they spread, the economy falls apart and racism flourishes.
Appalachia is like a third world country right here in the US.

You're stereotyping/generalizing there, unfairly, IMO. It depends on where in Appalachia one goes. There are places where it's quite provincial and places where it's not, and it's even a mater of wealth and grandeur, though it can be one wants to make it so.

home-for-sale-in-whiterocks-ut-102516-hero.jpg

84508bd69dc94b48900e9b2872e73ff3--luxury-exterior-custom-home-exterior.jpg

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.

Did they all move to shitcargo?

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.

You're stereotyping/generalizing there, unfairly, IMO. It depends on where in Appalachia one goes. There are places where it's quite provincial and places where it's not, and it's even a mater of wealth and grandeur, though it can be one wants to make it so.

//dwtd9qkskt5ds.cloudfront.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/home-for-sale-in-whiterocks-ut-102516-hero.jpg

Then why did you show a picture of a house in Utah dumbass?

Arguing with tards. It's always an easy win.

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.

It's called Chicago. And it makes rednecks living in Backwardville, Deep South green with envy.

Lived in Chicago, the burbs for 38 years born and raised.

Left because asshole Democrats raising taxes on everything

Moves to South Carolina 14 years ago., When I retire in 15 years I am moving to Wyoming, Utah or Arizona (if they don't get to blue)

The only places I would live outside of America would be New Zealand or Australia

Last edited:

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.

Once again you are showing your ignorance about the south, and retard you have that back ass backwards once again..it is the liberals who fuck everything up and then leave.

Even now that's she's feeble enough to need a sitter all the time, since her whole life happens on one floor, she doesn't feel like she's not living her own life...once she's in her wheelchair, she can go the kitchen and prepare simple meals at the table or reheat leftovers in the microwave or oven, roll herself outside to the patio and into the garden to water or repot a plant or cut some flowers, or into the family room to watch TV, etc.

I know some of that doesn't seem like much, but it's what keeps her going; it gives her life purpose, which is essential seeing as she's outlived all her friends and close relatives and the world is so different than the one in which she grew up and thrived. If you ask me, we should all be so lucky, but we can all make that little bit of luck for ourselves if, just as we did for our earlier years, we but plan for it when we start the final decades of life.
I think the freedom of movement and activity your mother still has is hugely important. It allows her to feel she still has control over her life. Tremendously important.

I wish her the best. And I wish more of us were able to experience that same degree of personal control when we reach an advanced age.

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.

//dwtd9qkskt5ds.cloudfront.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/home-for-sale-in-whiterocks-ut-102516-hero.jpg

Then why did you show a picture of a house in Utah dumbass?

I'm well aware of how right you are, and my remarks below will demonstrate the validity of that statement.

Your cognitively feculent and boorish statement that motivated me to post the photos I did is this one.

In response to that statement, I wrote, "There are places where it's quite provincial and places where it's not, and it's even a mater of wealth and grandeur, though it can be one wants to make it so." I complemented my remark with a couple photos.

I chose the photo I did of the small house because, not being a "tard":
  • I have the good sense to know the photo I showed didn't alter my assertion's verity, and
  • the image was the first one I came by that was well framed in the mountain setting,
  • I was unwilling/too lazy to bother, just for the sake of illustrating how ineffably nescient is your "third world" claim, finding a similarly well composed image of a dwelling in Appalachia, and
  • as a resident of a cosmopolitan city and someone who's travelled and worked around the world -- from the likes of backwoods and wilderness in Appalachia, the delta region of MS, and isolated northern towns like Deerfield and Groton, MA, and Lakeville, CT, to remote and/or mountain villages and town in the PRC, Argentina, India, Benin, Kenya, Botswana,Turkey, Andorra, Cinque Terre, Italy, and La Chaux-de-Fonds and St. Moritz, Switzerland to Tokyo, London, Vienna, Paris, Brussels, Geneva, Los Angeles, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Dalian, Chicago, Philly, Boston, Amsterdam, New York, and more -- I have a damn good first-hand qualitative understanding of what "third world" is and is not, and
  • having a strong understanding of economics, I'm quantitatively well aware of what "third world" originally was and currently is.

Click the links below and you can pour over properties in Appalachia looking for one that has as expansively set/framed an image -- modest house, mountains, technology all depicted -- as the one I chose.
Given your notably provincial perceptions that conflate mere Appalachian existence with economic depression on the order of that found in a developing nation, you probably should.
look them and where they live. Appalachia is like a third world country right here in the US. And everywhere they spread, the economy falls apart and racism flourishes.
To be sure, there is no dearth of racism in Appalachia, but emboldened passage above implies that some sort of willful Appalachian diaspora exists and with it has spread racism as a result. While a Southern emigration can clearly be defined, and Appalachians were part of it, far from incontrovertible is the cause and effect relationship implied in your above bold-text statement. In short, being racist or poor is not a forgone consequence of one's being Appalachian, nor is either characteristic intrinsically shared or propagated by dint of one's being Appalachian and moving to a place outside of Appalachia.

For the sake of illustrating the truth of your statement about how easy it is to "argue with tards," below is a map showing where Appalachia is. You'll notice that all of WVa is in Appalachia. I don't know if you've ever been to WVa, but the cities of Charleston, Wheeling, Huntington, and Morgantown are hardly "like a third world country right here in the US."

Subregions_2009_Map.gif

You'll notice too that...
...are also squarely in Appalachia. None of those places, along with others are "third world; thus is shown the gross inaccuracy of your ludicrous statement, "Appalachia is like a third world country right here in the US."

You were, however, correct, when, "tard," you wrote, "Arguing with tards. It's always an easy win." If they had any before, readers of this post need no longer have doubts about the verity of your assertion about the ease of "winning" an argument with a "tard" or about who in this argument be the "tard." You would do well to not again come at me without portfolio, tard.

Where I live and why:
  • Why:
    • D.C. is a small city.
  • In the U.S.
    • Chicago
    • Austin, TX
    • Columbus, OH
    • Philly
    • Minneapolis-St. Paul
    • Nashville
  • Outside the U.S.

It's called Chicago. And it makes rednecks living in Backwardville, Deep South green with envy.
I have been to Shitcargo once in my life and refused to leave the terminal and venture outside. There is nothing I need or want in that hell hole.. I've walked through Harlem at night and felt completely safe, but I will not visit your burgh unarmed.

Coloradan born and bred. By random happenstance. Now I have mayor Hancock and his overlord Hinckenlooper, both have this "Illegals Uber ales " sensibility and created this artificial island of refuge to people that we never wanted, never needed or asked for, and now illegals are like the tail wagging the proverbial dog. Big shout out to the dynamic duo: Hicky and Handoncock , good job of pandering and ignoring America. Cracker jack , baffo.

Last edited:
Apache County, AZ. Off grid, 16 miles from pavement, over two miles to a neighbor. I have been here six years. I dont like town. I like people less, i am sick of dealing with people.

I live in Austria. Im content and dont want to live anywhere else. Its a beautiful country. As a immigrant and romani (gypsy) I might one day be forced to go somewhere else if there is a new Hitler or like that. But now everything is fine.

So, as a non citizen you think you're entitled to live in Australia indefinitely?

Im a citzen and I live in Austria not Australia.

latest

I live in Minneapolis and love it. I also have a lake home about 75 minutes away from home base.
I've lived in the Bay Area and Seattle. I came to Minneapolis on an extended business consulting gig and decided to stay. My wife moved her practice from Seattle and it worked out beautifully.

What I like about the Twin Cities:
Four pro teams (season ticket holder for the Wolves and Wild)
Great bicycle paths, it's between us and Portland as who has the best paths in the US..
My wife loves the theater and art scene,
One of the cleanest cities in the world.
Excellent education and healthcare availability.
Great place to raise kids.
Great quality of life.

What I don't like;
I'm not totally nuts about the cold weather, but we escape every winter for a month and go to Cozumel, Cocoa Beach FL or New Zealand.

I have no desire to move anyplace in the US, both our daughters have started families here. But there a slight chance I'd be open to move back to New Zealand but just a slight chance.

I live in Austria. Im content and dont want to live anywhere else. Its a beautiful country. As a immigrant and romani (gypsy) I might one day be forced to go somewhere else if there is a new Hitler or like that. But now everything is fine.

So, as a non citizen you think you're entitled to live in Australia indefinitely?

Im a citzen and I live in Austria not Australia.

latest

Oh, well, you won't have the balls to leave when fascism comes your way, anyways, bro.

western nc....around a small town...elk park or banner elk nc....if you have a truckers map....you can find heaton on there....i have lived here all of my adult life...i like it here...we have the best of both worlds....i dont care for cities at all and with that said....i would gladly move to the french quarter of new orleans

Forum List

Back