Where Loyalties Lie

So... I'm hearing this stuff about Donald Trump's liberal past. I've heard many a conservative claim that he isn't loyal to the party. So say the conservative purists. So say those who wish to preserve and maintain the status quo. But wait! Here's a burning question: Is he not allowed to change his mind? Reagan made a similar exodus from the Democratic Party and spent the rest of his life supporting Republican ideals, and he is almost worshiped as a god by the conservative Republican sphere.

Oh, but saying good things about Hillary, donating to her foundation, or being a liberal in the past makes him a RINO now? As I recall, he never voted for Bill Clinton, he voted for Bush twice and for Romney, he also helped with John McCain's presidential campaign. As an aside, when prominent "conservative" Glenn Beck accused Trump of voting for Obama, he had to apologize.

Then, The National Review, a magazine founded by none other than William F. Buckley, is planning to dedicate an entire issue for the sole purpose of trashing Donald Trump. Led by a group of 22 conservative thinkers like Dana Loesch and Glenn Beck, they aim in that issue to make the case as to why Donald Trump shouldn't win the nomination. So what happens if he does? What will they do? What will the Republican party for that matter do? Are they prepared to alienate a great chunk of their electorate simply for the attainment of such a goal?

Now, how can those people, or anti-Trump conservatives here for that matter, lecture Donald Trump about not being loyal to conservative ideals or to the Republican Party, when they are unprepared to support him should he become the nominee? All that bluster about Hillary or Bernie winning the White House, all the fear of such an occurrence; and they are prepared to vote for Hillary or even sit home on election night, running the risk of putting a Democrat in the oval office. Simply because of his political past. It only goes to show you how fleeting things such as loyalty can be.

I am sorely disappointed in the Republican Party, not only for deviating from its stated purposes and goals in the past, but for attempting to sabotage their own front runner who is seeking the nomination of his party. It is disgusting. This shows that expressed loyalties can be nothing more but a lie. The is the behavior engaged in by a collective of hypocrites, whose undying loyalty to the party or conservative ideals suddenly goes deep six because of a man named Donald J. Trump. This is why I stopped being a Republican.

This is also why legions of people support Trump. The pro-establishment Republicans show their colors when it comes to true devotion to the party and its supporters.

What's the deal you guys? What are you so afraid of?

They are afraid of getting a historical ass kicking in the general. It really can't get any simpler.

Loyalties?

Why would anyone be loyal to a party - that is rather asinine if you ask me.

As far as Trump not being a republican or conservative - he isn't and never has been. Forget his past interactions with the democrat party - his positions are liberal as hell. He takes a hard stance on immigration (to a laughably insane extreme) and suddenly he becomes a conservative? That is ridiculous. At one time, the worst thing a republican could do was support Obamacare and if they were a single payer guy man they were Satan incarnate. Now a single payer supporter is the front runner and no one cares.

Like most rabid RWNJs, he's a flip-flopper and bends with the wind. Hell, he just became a "christian" because he was running for prez. Before that, HE was god and to the uninformed RW, he still is.

RWNJs are professional victims. Like the OP. Its all about getting on the gravy train and leeching off of others - usually blue states, Dems, you know -- those who actually work for a living.
You tell 'em tiger...

giphy.gif

Trump's positions on key issues is 180 degrees from what iwas even 3 years ago. That indicates an opportunist who is fleecing the rubes. He has no core principles. So if he ever got elected, Heaven forbid, there is no telling what he would do. He has supported single payer in the past. He could do it again in the future.
Reagan left the Democratic Party about 30 years before he became a Republican. Trump left it about 5 years ago. The comparison is odious.

As far as Trump not being a republican or conservative - he isn't and never has been.

Then the question, then, would be: Why did the GOP allow him to run for the Republican nomination?

Forget his past interactions with the democrat party - his positions are liberal as hell.

Ahem... once again, why did the GOP allow him to run for the Republican nomination if this were true? It seems to me if he were a blazing liberal, the GOP would have done anything to stop him.

He takes a hard stance on immigration (to a laughably insane extreme) and suddenly he becomes a conservative?

Once a liberal, always a liberal, eh? I wonder if I took that same attitude about Reagan?

At one time, the worst thing a republican could do was support Obamacare and if they were a single payer guy man they were Satan incarnate. Now a single payer supporter is the front runner and no one cares.

There's a reason nobody cares anymore. The Republican party has betrayed the trust of its millions of supporters. Year after year, election after election, the Republicans do nothing to further the interests of their constituents.

Trump is better than Hillary, and that's pretty much it. If he becomes the nominee, I will vote for him. Taking a puerile attitude to the ballot box regarding Trump will ensure that Obama 2.0 is elected as the next president.

As far as Trump not being a republican or conservative - he isn't and never has been.

Then the question, then, would be: Why did the GOP allow him to run for the Republican nomination?
The GOP really does not have direct control over this. The process varies by state and may simply require getting a few people in the party to sign off on it. I would imagine that they did so to gain access to his money more than likely.
Forget his past interactions with the democrat party - his positions are liberal as hell.

Ahem... once again, why did the GOP allow him to run for the Republican nomination if this were true? It seems to me if he were a blazing liberal, the GOP would have done anything to stop him.
See above. Further, they HAVE done everything they can to stop him or have you not noticed the open hostility that the party has to his possible nomination. One of the chief points that Trump supporters like to bring up here on these boards is always how the establishment is ‘trying to take him out.’

Suddenly they are not?

He takes a hard stance on immigration (to a laughably insane extreme) and suddenly he becomes a conservative?

Once a liberal, always a liberal, eh? I wonder if I took that same attitude about Reagan?
I wonder if you can make a point without lying about what I said.

One a liberal does not mean always a liberal. STILL holding very liberal stances does. When did he walk away from single payer? When did he give up on ‘loving’ eminent domain? Care to even point out a republican position that he takes? Immigration? Tax ‘reform?’ That is about it.
At one time, the worst thing a republican could do was support Obamacare and if they were a single payer guy man they were Satan incarnate. Now a single payer supporter is the front runner and no one cares.

There's a reason nobody cares anymore. The Republican party has betrayed the trust of its millions of supporters. Year after year, election after election, the Republicans do nothing to further the interests of their constituents.

Trump is better than Hillary, and that's pretty much it. If he becomes the nominee, I will vote for him. Taking a puerile attitude to the ballot box regarding Trump will ensure that Obama 2.0 is elected as the next president.
And the answer to the republicans betraying their base is to vote in a liberal? Are you serious? You show those bad GOP, if they keep acting like liberals rather than conservatives we will show them by electing a liberal as their candidate. That will show them. Not sure how or why.

Taking a ‘puerile’ attitude is demanding that someone support a shit candidate because the other guy is worse. I cannot think of a more shit reason than that. You should go out and get herpes right away. It is better than aids!

And the answer to the republicans betraying their base is to vote in a liberal? Are you serious? You show those bad GOP, if they keep acting like liberals rather than conservatives we will show them by electing a liberal as their candidate. That will show them. Not sure how or why.

Eh?

That's not even close to what I said.

You missed the point completely. There are claims out there that GOP donors would much rather vote for Hillary in the general election if Trump were the nominee. That even such a claim (irregardless of its veracity) would come up speaks to the loyalty of the party to the front runner. The supposed willingness to put Hillary in the White House amid their hatred for Trump should tell you how afraid some people are of Trump.

Taking a ‘puerile’ attitude is demanding that someone support a shit candidate because the other guy is worse.

I'm not making demands of anyone, if anything I want fairness in the nominating process. What I meant by "puerile" is having your own party collaborate against you because they're afraid of what you might do to them if you were nominated.

Think about this:

Trump was made to sign a loyalty pledge to the Republican Party after his comments in the first debate. Yet, the party four months afterwards was considering a brokered convention as a way to avoid a Trump nomination. How's that for loyalty? This prompted Ben Carson to threaten to leave the party (though he didn't).

GOP preparing for contested convention

I guess I have an outdated view on loyalty, though. But if you're demanding loyalty from someone, you need to be loyal to them in return. No questions asked. Before demanding loyalty of him, you should pay attention to what your party is doing.

Is this the Republican way? Or is this simply Chicago style politics in action? Are they really prepared to disenfranchise those voters who choose to vote for Trump as the nominee?

Last edited:
Loyalties?

Why would anyone be loyal to a party - that is rather asinine if you ask me.

As far as Trump not being a republican or conservative - he isn't and never has been. Forget his past interactions with the democrat party - his positions are liberal as hell. He takes a hard stance on immigration (to a laughably insane extreme) and suddenly he becomes a conservative? That is ridiculous. At one time, the worst thing a republican could do was support Obamacare and if they were a single payer guy man they were Satan incarnate. Now a single payer supporter is the front runner and no one cares.

It speaks to the seedlings of conservatism....white, male, protestant, wealthy. If you're not all of those or aspire to be the 4th anyway, you're not a conservative.

One gets the feeling as Trump rises and Cruz falters that if Cruz's name was Ted Simmons...he would be doing better.

So... I'm hearing this stuff about Donald Trump's liberal past. I've heard many a conservative claim that he isn't loyal to the party. So say the conservative purists. So say those who wish to preserve and maintain the status quo. But wait! Here's a burning question: Is he not allowed to change his mind? Reagan made a similar exodus from the Democratic Party and spent the rest of his life supporting Republican ideals, and he is almost worshiped as a god by the conservative Republican sphere.

Oh, but saying good things about Hillary, donating to her foundation, or being a liberal in the past makes him a RINO now? As I recall, he never voted for Bill Clinton, he voted for Bush twice and for Romney, he also helped with John McCain's presidential campaign. As an aside, when prominent "conservative" Glenn Beck accused Trump of voting for Obama, he had to apologize.

Then, The National Review, a magazine founded by none other than William F. Buckley, is planning to dedicate an entire issue for the sole purpose of trashing Donald Trump. Led by a group of 22 conservative thinkers like Dana Loesch and Glenn Beck, they aim in that issue to make the case as to why Donald Trump shouldn't win the nomination. So what happens if he does? What will they do? What will the Republican party for that matter do? Are they prepared to alienate a great chunk of their electorate simply for the attainment of such a goal?

Now, how can those people, or anti-Trump conservatives here for that matter, lecture Donald Trump about not being loyal to conservative ideals or to the Republican Party, when they are unprepared to support him should he become the nominee? All that bluster about Hillary or Bernie winning the White House, all the fear of such an occurrence; and they are prepared to vote for Hillary or even sit home on election night, running the risk of putting a Democrat in the oval office. Simply because of his political past. It only goes to show you how fleeting things such as loyalty can be.

I am sorely disappointed in the Republican Party, not only for deviating from its stated purposes and goals in the past, but for attempting to sabotage their own front runner who is seeking the nomination of his party. It is disgusting. This shows that expressed loyalties can be nothing more but a lie. The is the behavior engaged in by a collective of hypocrites, whose undying loyalty to the party or conservative ideals suddenly goes deep six because of a man named Donald J. Trump. This is why I stopped being a Republican.

This is also why legions of people support Trump. The pro-establishment Republicans show their colors when it comes to true devotion to the party and its supporters.

I sure as hell can't speak for the GOP Establishment, but I can understand their frustration.

From my perspective, this isn't about Trump or the Establishment. It's about the 40% of the party who have seemingly tossed their long-held "conservative values" under the bus for a guy who appears to light their fire in a very limited number of ways.

This is a guy who has convinced them that he can literally deport XX million illegals, and who is celebrated for saying the most asinine, ridiculous, cartoonish, undignified things and protected by them under the umbrella of Political Correctness. These two qualities appear to form the base of his support.

I remain absolutely perplexed by this guy's popularity. I felt similarly about Sarah Palin, but at least I knew she was a full-blown conservative. This is just bizarre to me. Exactly how devoted were these people to their "conservative values", anyway?

Last edited:

I sure as hell can't speak for the GOP Establishment, but I can understand their frustration.

From my perspective, this isn't about Trump or the Establishment. It's about the 40% of the party who have seemingly tossed their long-held "conservative values" under the bus for a guy who appears to light their fire in a very limited number of ways.

This is a guy who has convinced them that he can literally deport XX million illegals, and who is celebrated for saying the most asinine, ridiculous, cartoonish, undignified things and protected by them under the umbrella of Political Correctness. These two qualities appear to form the base of his support.

I remain absolutely perplexed by this guy's popularity. I felt similarly about Sarah Palin, but at least I knew she was a full-blown conservative. This is just bizarre to me. Exactly how devoted were these people to their "conservative values", anyway?

If you find his mocking a man with disabilities funny, that isn't a sign of conservatism; it's a sign that you're a sick person.

oT41FYI.jpg

If you find his mocking a man with disabilities funny, that isn't a sign of conservatism; it's a sign that you're a sick person.

oT41FYI.jpg
And that's one of the most fascinating aspects of this whole story - his abject immunity on virtually anything he says.

And we both know he's too smart to know that such an immigration plan wouldn't be realistic. However, the current administration is carrying out deportation raids as we speak.

Also, let's clear one thing up. I'm not enthusiastic about him. I think he's a loudmouth, a jerk and arrogant. I cringe when he speaks. He could be putting on a facade but who knows. I've done my research on all of the candidates still in the race. They just don't stand out to me.

What I base my support for Trump on is how he has the ability to change his mind in the face of the "believe this or else" attitude of his party. He was a member of the Independence Party in New York. I've often demonstrated the willingness to change my arguments and opinions in the face of superior arguments or positions. Though our motives aren't completely identical, I can relate to Trump in that one particular way.

Think of it like this, the Republican Party itself, the party which espouses those "conservative values" has done plenty of things to betray that notion, which doesn't make them dissimilar to Trump.

So why is Trump taking heat for it when his party has been doing some of the same stuff?

A certain part of the Republican electorate is tired of being betrayed by their party, so they are willing to dispense with those values in hopes of restoring some some normalcy to the party again.

Last edited:

And we both know he's too smart to know that such an immigration plan wouldn't be realistic. However, the current administration is carrying out deportation raids as we speak.

Also, let's clear one thing up. I'm not enthusiastic about him. I think he's a loudmouth, a jerk and arrogant. I cringe when he speaks. He could be putting on a facade but who knows. I've done my research on all of the candidates still in the race. They just don't stand out to me.

What I base my support for Trump on is how he has the ability to change his mind in the face of the "believe this or else" attitude of his party. He was a member of the Independence Party in New York. I've often demonstrated the willingness to change my arguments and opinions in the face of superior arguments or positions. Though our motives aren't completely identical, I can relate to Trump in that one particular way.

Think of it like this, the Republican Party itself, the party which espouses those "conservative values" has done plenty of things to betray that notion, which doesn't make them dissimilar to Trump.

So why is Trump taking heat for it when his party has been doing some of the same stuff?

A certain part of the Republican electorate is tired of being betrayed by their party, so they are willing to dispense with those values in hopes of restoring some some normalcy to the party again.

Templar, 90% or more of the conservatives will vote for Trump if he gets the nod. It is the establishment that everyone fights against that may not. Trump also has massive cross over appeal with blue collar workers. I have been in contact with people at my former employer in Chicago, and believe it or not, most are for Trump.......and not surprisingly, Hillary.
As long as Trump doesn't implode and change course on the immigration issue, these people will stay with him.

A conservatives number one bogeyman is debt, deficits, national debt. There are only 2 ways (or a combination of) to address this problem. You either cut spending, or massively grow employment to increase tax receipts to Washington. Conservatives are betting that Cruz will cut spending, or that Trump with his business acumen, will massively grow employment.

And then you have the question of honesty. (yeah Trump with honesty, but shall we discuss?) If I put Trump, Cruz, Fiorina, and Hillary on a stage and asked them a question WITHOUT them running for office, who should we believe? Well, in that instance, I would have to choose Cruz, and anybody who is being honest would almost certainly agree with me.

But, if I told them to go out, get funding, then come back and answer the question, we would have to believe Trump! Why? Because his message is not being shaped by donors, he is speaking for himself, with almost all of his own money. If he says that "illegal immigration sucks," than he surely believes it does. And, he will have few if any donors putting pressure on him to go against his views of that, or any issue he expounds on during the campaign. You would have to change his mind with facts for him to alter his position.

The Democrats and Republicans have both been lied to extensively by their candidates for national position. Look at the polls, and it shows BOTH party's constituents feel this way. For the 1st time, they see someone who they think is probably not lying, for he has little reason to do so. It doesn't mean they agree with everything he says by a long shot, but what they do agree with, they feel he will execute that part of his vision, and they will get something out of the deal. (no pun intended)

It is kinda funny that some people claim we are purists. Trump is actually a hybrid candidate of what both party's used to be, fiscally conservative, and somewhat liberal socially. The establishment of neither party can have this, because if they allow it and he succeeds fixing things, it only proves the mantra of BOTH party's was in error on how to make things better, and their power begins to vanish even from their most ardent supporters.

Let me close by saying-------> the people are PISSED; and it is shown by how many people are re-registering to vote after being absent for years at the polls. (good sign for Trump and Cruz) And who can blame them? After 15, going on 16 years of Presidents from BOTH party's lying, and doing incompetent things, it is totally understandable. Trump may be seen as arrogant, but he is also seen as truth, voiced in a very crass way, but truth none the less.

And Hillary? Hillary! Is she seen as truth by anyone, including her own constituents? Now you know why, if people come out and push Trump to the top of the GOP, he is going to probably win; and neither party can STAND IT!

Where do my loyalties lie? Against the establishment that has been in power for decades and are bought and paid for political whores. They are destroying our way of live with endless debt and soon the biggest part of the budget of our country will be the interest of the massive debt. It destroys the dollar, and destroys the American dream.

The status quo don't give a fuck about that. They only give a fuck about what lines their pockets.

When I look on the stage and try to determine who I'd like to vote for...............the thing I am looking for is TRUST and HONESTY.

Which one of these guys is Trustworthy, and which ones are selling me Snake oil or a used car that was only driven on Sundays by a Grandma and that kind of BS.

When I look at Trump..............I DON'T TRUST HIM. It is that simple to me. I've been around for a while and have listened to those like him try to sell me a Lemon, and I refuse to bite. I will vote for him in the General Election but I will still Not Trust him.

Cruz is ESTABLISHMENT. Irregardless of his fights in Congress. His TIES to Goldman SACHS are ABSOLUTE. He is one of them PERIOD IN MY BOOK. Doesn't matter the rhetoric or the fights he has had. He is tied. He also wants a 16% VAT tax which would raise the price of everything we buy.

HILLARY IS A WALKING BILL BOARD for NASCAR to the establishment.

So, who do I vote for in the primaries..............That would be CARSON. I believe he is HONEST and TRUSTWORTHY. I like most of what he has to say. He may be Timid on stage, but I doubt his policies would be Timid in Reality. He doesn't have much of a chance to win the day, but that will be where my vote will go if he's still on the ticket. If not I doubt I'll even go to the primaries and vote at all.

I of course will vote for the GOP in the General Election to avoid the Hildabeast.

Where do my loyalties lie? Against the establishment that has been in power for decades and are bought and paid for political whores. They are destroying our way of live with endless debt and soon the biggest part of the budget of our country will be the interest of the massive debt. It destroys the dollar, and destroys the American dream.

The status quo don't give a fuck about that. They only give a fuck about what lines their pockets.

When I look on the stage and try to determine who I'd like to vote for...............the thing I am looking for is TRUST and HONESTY.

Which one of these guys is Trustworthy, and which ones are selling me Snake oil or a used car that was only driven on Sundays by a Grandma and that kind of BS.

When I look at Trump..............I DON'T TRUST HIM. It is that simple to me. I've been around for a while and have listened to those like him try to sell me a Lemon, and I refuse to bite. I will vote for him in the General Election but I will still Not Trust him.

Cruz is ESTABLISHMENT. Irregardless of his fights in Congress. His TIES to Goldman SACHS are ABSOLUTE. He is one of them PERIOD IN MY BOOK. Doesn't matter the rhetoric or the fights he has had. He is tied. He also wants a 16% VAT tax which would raise the price of everything we buy.

HILLARY IS A WALKING BILL BOARD for NASCAR to the establishment.

So, who do I vote for in the primaries..............That would be CARSON. I believe he is HONEST and TRUSTWORTHY. I like most of what he has to say. He may be Timid on stage, but I doubt his policies would be Timid in Reality. He doesn't have much of a chance to win the day, but that will be where my vote will go if he's still on the ticket. If not I doubt I'll even go to the primaries and vote at all.

I of course will vote for the GOP in the General Election to avoid the Hildabeast.

Templar, as you can see, both Eagle and I want someone else besides Trump, (I Cruz, he Carson) but we will support Trump if he is the GOP nominee. Speaking for myself, I am a conservative with Libertarian leanings, and I know that any of these 3 men would be better for the country, than Hilly.

So do not worry about the "donor" class of Republican, as in this country; no matter how much money you have, you only have 1 vote. Were it not that way, Trump would win hands down, lol.

And again, have no fear of the Democratic "paper tiger" as long as Hilly or Bernie are leading the way. All these Democrats on this board who are so confidant it is in the bag, should send a bottle of "Pepto" and a few Zanex pills to Debbie, Wasserman, Shultz, lol. She is aware of the internals, just as some "other" people on this board are, and let me tell you, Candy can talk all she wants, but the internals show a different reality than what she/he is telling you-) If Candy is not privy, then that poster should be forgiven I suppose. But if the poster is aware of the internals, then that poster lives by the mantra, "misery loves company," and is just trying to make you as unhappy as they are, lol!

Eh?

That's not even close to what I said.

You missed the point completely. There are claims out there that GOP donors would much rather vote for Hillary in the general election if Trump were the nominee. That even such a claim (irregardless of its veracity) would come up speaks to the loyalty of the party to the front runner. The supposed willingness to put Hillary in the White House amid their hatred for Trump should tell you how afraid some people are of Trump.

Taking a ‘puerile’ attitude is demanding that someone support a shit candidate because the other guy is worse.

I'm not making demands of anyone, if anything I want fairness in the nominating process. What I meant by "puerile" is having your own party collaborate against you because they're afraid of what you might do to them if you were nominated.

Think about this:

Trump was made to sign a loyalty pledge to the Republican Party after his comments in the first debate. Yet, the party four months afterwards was considering a brokered convention as a way to avoid a Trump nomination. How's that for loyalty? This prompted Ben Carson to threaten to leave the party (though he didn't).

GOP preparing for contested convention

I guess I have an outdated view on loyalty, though. But if you're demanding loyalty from someone, you need to be loyal to them in return. No questions asked. Before demanding loyalty of him, you should pay attention to what your party is doing.

Is this the Republican way? Or is this simply Chicago style politics in action? Are they really prepared to disenfranchise those voters who choose to vote for Trump as the nominee?
I would agree with you that donating or voting for Hillary as a republican because you don't like Trump seems rather asinine. I was not really speaking to that idea though - the idea that Trump is not a liberal belies many of his positions.

The brokered convention is another story and that is not a way to 'deal' with Trump but rather an actual possibility that should be talked about. You need a majority or there is a brokered convention and they can pick anyone - that is simply the rules. It is not a plan of any sort but rather something that the GOP fears - they do NOT want to select Trump but should he have more than anyone else they are going to be forced into it. I doubt that Trump will gain over 50% - the problem is that even though he is the front runner I don't really know anyone that will vote for him in the primaries that is not already doing so. If the field stays as it is - it almost certainly will be brokered. If we get into a one on one then I see Trump as likely losing.

Trump is an anti-free trade protectionist. At least so he says. The Republican establishment is not. That one major issue alone is effectively a dealbreaker between Trump and that so-called establishment.

Forum List

Back