Which State Will Have the First Civil Disobedience?

I'm going to give you one shot to be reasonable, but just one.

Every decision society makes is a risk v benefit analysis to the citizens of that society. "If we save even one person" is never a valid argument and we don't operate that way. If that were true we would all have been in quarantine in the 17-18 flu year, when we lost 60,000+ Americans. Or we would have undergone compulsory vaccinations. Neither happened.

We were told horrid things about ERs being overrun, hospitals over capacity and etc. That is not happening thus far. What IS happening is that the economy IS shutting down. If you don't understand that the economy actually feeds, houses, and clothes people--which is a real benefit--no one can talk to you.

^
'We were told horrid things about ERs being overrun, hospitals over capacity and etc. That is not happening thus far.'

we haven't peaked yet - that's why. we could head it off if people stay away from each other & slow the virus down in the amt of victims being infected. by doing that, we WON'T overwhelm the healthcare system. a lot of this could have & should have been done weeks ago - to determine who was infected & quarantine them to limit the exposure rate.

why are the medical professionals pleading for more supplies? why are they using the same gear & supplies over & over again? why are they told to use bandanas as face masks? it's not all due to hoarding. it's because people are now showing up sick because symptoms don't kick in until 10 - 14 days after contracting it ...

Coronavirus in N.Y.: ‘Deluge’ of Cases Begins Hitting Hospitals
There are already critical shortages: A Bronx hospital is running out of ventilators. In Brooklyn, doctors are reusing masks.
By Brian M. Rosenthal, Joseph Goldstein and Michael Rothfeld
  • Published March 20, 2020Updated March 21, 2020, 7:52 a.m. ET

New York State’s long-feared surge of coronavirus cases has begun, thrusting the medical system toward a crisis point.

In a startlingly quick ascent, officials reported on Friday that the state was closing in on 8,000 positive tests, about half the cases in the country. The number was 10 times higher than what was reported earlier in the week.
[...]
State officials have projected that the number of coronavirus cases in New York will peak in early May. Both the governor and Mayor Bill de Blasio have used wartime metaphors and analogies to paint a grim picture of what to expect. Officials have said the state would need to double its available hospital beds to 100,000 and could be short as many as 25,000 ventilators.

As it prepares for the worst-case projections, the state is asking retired health care workers to volunteer to help. The city is considering trying to turn the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan into a makeshift hospital.

“The most striking part is the speed with which it has ramped up,” said Ben McVane, an emergency room doctor at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens. “It went from a small trickle of patients to a deluge of patients in our departments.”

Italy’s Coronavirus Nightmare Could Happen in U.S. Within Days or Weeks, Ex-CDC Chief Says
Nick Turse
March 21 2020, 12:27 a.m.
Italy’s Coronavirus Nightmare Could Happen in U.S. Within Days or Weeks, Ex-CDC Chief Says

hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

You have a case for NYC, where people live in shoeboxes basically on top of each other. Notice I wasn't talking about that in my OP. I was talking about remote places where there are NO cases of COVID, but where the gov have still shut down all the restaurants/bars in the state.

Address the OP, not what I didn't say.

i did address what you said. i said there aren't any CONFIRMED cases in the area you are talking about. either people don't realize what they have or are asymptomatic or the incubation period hasn't reared their ugly symptoms yet. more people are saying they don't know HOW they got it - well SOMEBODY is giving it to them. & all it takes are close clusters of people to get it going. why do you think NYC et al are getting hit hard?

It is beyond idiotic to shut down an entire nation's economy based on information that is unknown.

Only liberals would advocate it, actually.
I'm going to give you one shot to be reasonable, but just one.

Every decision society makes is a risk v benefit analysis to the citizens of that society. "If we save even one person" is never a valid argument and we don't operate that way. If that were true we would all have been in quarantine in the 17-18 flu year, when we lost 60,000+ Americans. Or we would have undergone compulsory vaccinations. Neither happened.

We were told horrid things about ERs being overrun, hospitals over capacity and etc. That is not happening thus far. What IS happening is that the economy IS shutting down. If you don't understand that the economy actually feeds, houses, and clothes people--which is a real benefit--no one can talk to you.

^
'We were told horrid things about ERs being overrun, hospitals over capacity and etc. That is not happening thus far.'

we haven't peaked yet - that's why. we could head it off if people stay away from each other & slow the virus down in the amt of victims being infected. by doing that, we WON'T overwhelm the healthcare system. a lot of this could have & should have been done weeks ago - to determine who was infected & quarantine them to limit the exposure rate.

why are the medical professionals pleading for more supplies? why are they using the same gear & supplies over & over again? why are they told to use bandanas as face masks? it's not all due to hoarding. it's because people are now showing up sick because symptoms don't kick in until 10 - 14 days after contracting it ...

There are already critical shortages: A Bronx hospital is running out of ventilators. In Brooklyn, doctors are reusing masks.

New York State’s long-feared surge of coronavirus cases has begun, thrusting the medical system toward a crisis point.

In a startlingly quick ascent, officials reported on Friday that the state was closing in on 8,000 positive tests, about half the cases in the country. The number was 10 times higher than what was reported earlier in the week.
[...]
State officials have projected that the number of coronavirus cases in New York will peak in early May. Both the governor and Mayor Bill de Blasio have used wartime metaphors and analogies to paint a grim picture of what to expect. Officials have said the state would need to double its available hospital beds to 100,000 and could be short as many as 25,000 ventilators.

As it prepares for the worst-case projections, the state is asking retired health care workers to volunteer to help. The city is considering trying to turn the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan into a makeshift hospital.

“The most striking part is the speed with which it has ramped up,” said Ben McVane, an emergency room doctor at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens. “It went from a small trickle of patients to a deluge of patients in our departments.”

Nick Turse

You have a case for NYC, where people live in shoeboxes basically on top of each other. Notice I wasn't talking about that in my OP. I was talking about remote places where there are NO cases of COVID, but where the gov have still shut down all the restaurants/bars in the state.

i did address what you said. i said there aren't any CONFIRMED cases in the area you are talking about. either people don't realize what they have or are asymptomatic or the incubation period hasn't reared their ugly symptoms yet. more people are saying they don't know HOW they got it - well SOMEBODY is giving it to them. & all it takes are close clusters of people to get it going. why do you think NYC et al are getting hit hard?

It is beyond idiotic to shut down an entire nation's economy based on information that is unknown.

Only liberals care/ Glad you pointed that out.

Cheap and beyond stupid. When the economy crashes and people are starving, I could say "only conservatives care". That's no kind of argument; it's a brain dead potshot

1) Not really my job.
2) We wouldn't be here if the guy whose job it was hadn't called it a Hoax, pretended it was no big deal as recently as March 9th, and then tried to cover it up with racism. .
Ah- as I figured, defer to others- means you have NO idea what you'd do but you want/demand another do it for you- imagine that.

The mayor of Maryland just asked the residents to stop killing each other for awhile because those hospital beds are needed for the sick. If they get any.

The first acts of civil disobedience will likely come from Baltimore, Chicago or Detroit. The first acts of looting private homes will be New York, Los Angeles or Houston.
Is there ever a topic to discuss that you don`t need to put on your sheet, hood and maggot hat?

The mayor of Maryland just asked the residents to stop killing each other for awhile because those hospital beds are needed for the sick. If they get any.

The first acts of civil disobedience will likely come from Baltimore, Chicago or Detroit. The first acts of looting private homes will be New York, Los Angeles or Houston.

The mayor of Maryland?

Really.

Okay, basic civics lesson.

MAYORS run Cities (like Baltimore)
GOVERNORS run States (Like Maryland)

View attachment 313843
You are right. It was the mayor of Baltimore. And the residents didn't bother to listen as the murder rate outstrips the virus death rate.

Is there ever a topic to discuss that you don`t need to put on your sheet, hood and maggot hat?
Oh you think it's the black people in these cities that would riot and loot. Have they ever done that before? You racist you.

Great. My child is severely peanut allergic.

Therefore, you and everyone must stop eating peanuts. They must be banned.

Boy that was easy

We've kind of already done that. YOu can't get peanuts on an airplane anymore.

You are right. It was the mayor of Baltimore. And the residents didn't bother to listen as the murder rate outstrips the virus death rate.

Yes, that's what happens when you flood your streets with guns.

If we treated this epidemic like gun violence, we'd have a National Virus Association making sure every mad scientist had his own germ lab and lots of culture samples.

Ah- as I figured, defer to others- means you have NO idea what you'd do but you want/demand another do it for you- imagine that.

Yes, I expect people to do their jobs.

Kind of like when I go to a restaurant (hey, remember when we could still do that) and get a cooked meal. I didn't have to go back to the kitchen and tell them how to do their jobs.

What is wrong with acting like adults and responsible citizens? What is wrong with a society acting as one to protect one another from a pernicious virus?

Sop you agree Trump need to declare martial law and suspend the elections until Coronavirus is as eradicated as smallpox, right?

These mandated closures of bars are infringing on our freedom. Under these circumstances civil disobedience should be expected and celebrated.

If we start doing more widespread testing (that The Dithering Dotard doesn't want) then we could identify the hot spots we don't already know about and possibly relax the closure/ stay at home situation. Problem is, people move around too much. Those in hot spots will drive to get to restaurants that are open.

What we need right now is a month of a nationwide shutdown to get a better grasp of the issue.

The article linked below contains a list of states that have closed bars and restaurants. In my state, there is an entire region unaffected by Coronavirus--zero reported cases. Who's going to be the first restaurant/bar owner in that portion of the state--or ANY state--to say screw it and open their doors to a flood of customers?

I say one week, ten days at the outside. When one does, other owners in other states will do the same, especially in areas with no Coronavirus. And once that starts, it will be America saying, screw you, Daddy Government. We are Open for Business.

Which states have closed restaurants and bars due to coronavirus?
Look at the data and find the dumbest State

You will have your answer.

Maybe, Florida? Their stupidity goes all the way to the governor.

Last edited:
The article linked below contains a list of states that have closed bars and restaurants. In my state, there is an entire region unaffected by Coronavirus--zero reported cases. Who's going to be the first restaurant/bar owner in that portion of the state--or ANY state--to say screw it and open their doors to a flood of customers?

I say one week, ten days at the outside. When one does, other owners in other states will do the same, especially in areas with no Coronavirus. And once that starts, it will be America saying, screw you, Daddy Government. We are Open for Business.

This is reckless and irresponsible, the idea that a public accommodation would ignore C19 safety protocols and place the health and lives of its patrons in jeopardy.

It’s not ‘civil disobedience,’ it’s a repugnant disregard of facts and the truth.

We understand that conservatives are worried that the C19 outbreak and the administration’s failure to address the crisis appropriately has Trump supporters worried that Trump will fail to win reelection and Republicans will lose control of the Senate.

But conservatives placing partisan politics before the health and well-being of citizens is yet another example of why most on the right are indeed reprehensible.

Yes, that's what happens when you flood your streets with guns.

If we treated this epidemic like gun violence, we'd have a National Virus Association making sure every mad scientist had his own germ lab and lots of culture samples.
Will it kill democrats? I'm all for it,

^

[...]

Nick Turse

^

[...]

Nick Turse

Only liberals care/ Glad you pointed that out.

Cheap and beyond stupid. When the economy crashes and people are starving, I could say "only conservatives care". That's no kind of argument; it's a brain dead potshot
Did you read what it was in reply to? I did not think so.

Yeah, I don't buy that. Trump doesn't have enough popularity to do that, that's the thing. If he tries, it'll backfire on him.

Buying allegiance creates an avenue for blame Joe

We aren't anywhere near that yet

Fascism is a very insidious animal, it takes time , those 1930's Germans didn't just wake up one day and say 'yeah, we'd love an insane dictator'.....

~S~

What is wrong with acting like adults and responsible citizens? What is wrong with a society acting as one to protect one another from a pernicious virus?

If you are sitting in an entire region of an entire state that has ZERO cases of this virus, and you have laid off all your employees, and you are watching day by day as none of these horrid warnings are coming true--believe me. Your patience is running very thin. NOW. TODAY.

In another week the patience will be gone. I'm in a state with closed bars and restaurants and IN a county with COVID. I do not know anyone, personally, with the virus. I DO know people who have been laid off.

This is a disaster, all right, but the disaster is not the virus. It's the response.
Same here. No cases, lots of closings.

Every state has cases.

My county in SE Michigan has ZERO cases, and the disease ISNT that bad.

They will destroy the country and the world economy over this.

It as zero cases that you know about.

Forum List

Back