Which would you prefer?

Which one would you prefer?

• A bunch of racists with freedom to say anything

• People can only say what the govt or other institution has predetermined is OK

Results are only viewable after voting.
This thread has certainly inspired some interesting comments.

Not surprising, but interesting.

Some just won't freely support freedom of expression.

Given that you've now conceded you want the government to have the power to limit protected speech, you're arguing with the wrong side.
I don't have a side. I'm arguing against the Regressive Left. You.

Simple poll!

you should probably ask your president who tries to shut down everything that criticizes him. And I'll remind you that he has been whining about changing libel/slander laws (which have been tested Constitutionally) to make speech more restrictive.

just saying.

How successful has he been besides scolding those who lie about him?

you might want to read again.

I said "tries".

sorry, bubbalah, that doesn't change the fact that he wants to limit the first amendment. success is not the measure.

thanks for chiming in, though.

Given that you've now conceded you want the government to have the power to limit protected speech, you're arguing with the wrong side.

Then you're arguing against my belief that free speech protections should not include what the teacher in my example in post 81 said.

there is no such thing. and apparently you do have a "side".

try again.

this was about a student.
Ah, students don't have full 1st Amend protection. I had assumed this was about the students who were disciplined over some stupid post showing them in Klan robes or blackface, but no matter. This issue was more in the forefront back during civil rights and Vietnam, when students sought to protest.
So students cant express how they feel? WTF
Not if their expression has a negative effect on "the educational environment."
Lol, so students dont have first amendment rights at their homes.
Did you hear that guys?
Should a person that thinks fat people are gross be expelled? You know, if they said it on instagram at their own house.
I don't know what instagram is, but my guess is that more than the people inside your home can read it. Is that right? It's not just an email to one person?
So it's no more private than Trump sending a tweet from the shitter every morning. It goes out to the public at large, doesn't it? Who cares where it is sent from?
Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
My point was, it isnt school property or even a school function. Instagram is a PERSONAL social media account.

lol, at least after months of trying I finally got you to admit to falsely accusing me of being on the so-called regressive left.

Simple poll!

you should probably ask your president who tries to shut down everything that criticizes him. And I'll remind you that he has been whining about changing libel/slander laws (which have been tested Constitutionally) to make speech more restrictive.

just saying.

How successful has he been besides scolding those who lie about him?

you might want to read again.

I said "tries".

sorry, bubbalah, that doesn't change the fact that he wants to limit the first amendment. success is not the measure.

thanks for chiming in, though.

I phrased my response poorly. Short of responding and retorting, what has he actually done to shut down people critical of him?

Actions, actual actions I am talking about.

Ah, students don't have full 1st Amend protection. I had assumed this was about the students who were disciplined over some stupid post showing them in Klan robes or blackface, but no matter. This issue was more in the forefront back during civil rights and Vietnam, when students sought to protest.
Did you hear that guys?
Should a person that thinks fat people are gross be expelled? You know, if they said it on instagram at their own house.
I don't know what instagram is, but my guess is that more than the people inside your home can read it. Is that right? It's not just an email to one person?
So it's no more private than Trump sending a tweet from the shitter every morning. It goes out to the public at large, doesn't it? Who cares where it is sent from?
My point was, it isnt school property or even a school function. Instagram is a PERSONAL social media account.

And yet you don't want to give that student free speech protection.

try again.
I won't bother posting the comments of all the honest (and real) liberals about the Regressive Left.

Again.

Play whatever games you'd like. Don't care.

You keep saying "exposed." I don't understand.
Sure has you excited, though. Did someone untie my robe?
You have failed the truest test of commitment to free speech.

Only when you are faced with the most abhorrent content will your conviction be properly tested.

You should re-examine your convictions. Are you really a liberal?
I'm an Independent. As with all rights, I believe they come with responsibilities, and one of the responsibilities of the First Amendment right of free speech is to choose our public words wisely in such a way that they do not harm others. Racist speech does untold harm to minorities.
If you want to call me a fascist for that, I'm perfectly alright with it.
People let words hurt them. You are the reason our nation is turning into a big fuckin pussy.
Lil ol' me? I KNEW I should have gone with Queen of Sheba.
People like you, yes.
You let emotion dictate policy and now look at what we have..
Rome 2.0
Emotion is part of who we are. Even you have "emotion" as in getting all pissed off about climate change and such. Not being able to understand that words CAN and DO hurt is a lack of empathy typically reserved for psychopaths, and I know you aren't one, so stop talking like one.

Looks like yet another USMB thread has been derailed by a poster who wanted to avoid its primary point by putting others on the defensive.

Do you believe racists should have the freedom to say 'anything', or do you believe the government should have some degree of authority to restrict that freedom?
I'm glad you can recognize your behaviors so easily.

So as usual you can't answer that question.

I'll answer it for you. You choose #2, because I'm sure you would side with the government and your school district (other institution)

if they fired an elementary school teacher for telling his 4th grade class that most of this country's problems come from there being 'too many fucking ******* here' and the Court upheld that firing.

Eh??????

of course that teacher should be fired.

what's the problem?

try again.
I won't bother posting the comments of all the honest (and real) liberals about the Regressive Left.

Again.

Play whatever games you'd like. Don't care.

You won't post comments of regressive leftists HERE because you can't find any that fit your description.

Did you hear that guys?

And yet you don't want to give that student free speech protection.
what?

He doesn't see it. Its like guns.

He is willing to do away with all speech in order to say that someone can call in a bomb threat. So, naturally, the only kind of speech that should be allowed is when the government removes the physical gag from your mouth. That is the ONLY way we can be safe. If we allow others to to say what we hate to hear, then why, we can shut them up because someone may call in a bomb threat.

I guess no matter how I try to get My head around it, his logic is beyond baffling.

In actuality, the First Amendment is NOT the government giving us permission to express ourselves. It is a forbidding of the government from preventing us from expressing ourselves.

Now, no one has the freedom from the consequences of their expression. So, people who don't like it are free to express their displeasure. Their freedom ends when they prevent others from having the same right.

Getting pushback for unpopular speech is okay. Just don't be surprised if you try to do it violently and end up bleeding yourself.

Forum List

Back