White America's Greatest Delusion: "They Do Not Know It and They Do Not Want to Know It"

You're ok with that?

Does it really sound like I'm okay with the corruption of law enforcement?

Wouldn't that be systemic bias? Even racist policy in some cases?
We should just chalk it up to " Hey, just don't be poor or brown and you won't have a problem"?

Attributing to racism that which is explained by corruption is counter-productive.

Which results in more prisoners...which results in less opportunities...etc etc.

You agree except you just dont like for me to point out the black part. Much like a rich person would take offense to your "go after the poor" argument.

Funny, I never went to prison.

I don't agree with you, I simply recognize the flaws in our system. You are a racist, so you attribute everything to race. The cops don't give a shit about race, they care about money. The drug war and the asset forfeiture laws have turned the police into little more than armed criminals roaming about car jacking and doing home invasion robberies. They go after blacks because blacks are usually poor and uneducated.

Low hanging fruit.

In my area, the cops focus on the Mexicans, because the black population has mostly become educated and middle class. Suddenly, the cops aren't interested in the blacks anymore.

You're ok with that?
Wouldn't that be systemic bias? Even racist policy in some cases?
We should just chalk it up to " Hey, just don't be poor or brown and you won't have a problem"?

Exactly!

Ok buddy, I'm not going to argue with you uabout what you believe I believe. I'm here to talk facts

A minute ago, you were happy to discuss what you believed I believe.

Facts?

Sure. Fact is that the US has had bi-partisan consensus on helping blacks up for the last 50 years.

And whites are increasingly done with that.

Opening a discussion on Race with, "YOU assholes are guilty, and need to do more", is not going to be productive.

Do you feel that the " bipartisan consensus" over the last fifty years has been 100% effective? Or would you say there is room for improvement?

I "feel" that the bi-partisan consensus over the last fifty years defines the US position on Race, to the point that someone who claims that the US is a racist society working actively to keep the black man down is completely divorced from reality.

Room for improvement?

NO. I think that phase of history is done.

What we need now is to stop it. It's doing more harm than good at this point, encouraging a culture of entitlement and distracting attention from the real causes of problems in the black community.

I've been complaining about the abuse of that system in my own city for years. I personally know whites who have suffered real harm from this abuse.

But not blacks or is your story facts and blacks whining?

What we need now is to stop it. It's doing more harm than good at this point, encouraging a culture of entitlement and distracting attention from the real causes of problems in the black community.

Thats what white people always say. They believe they know best and that everything is a-ok for blacks.

They said the same about segregation, voting rights etc.

Correll is just continuing tradition

Splitting your post.

I've been complaining about the abuse of that system in my own city for years. I personally know whites who have suffered real harm from this abuse.

I do not personally know any blacks who have been harmed by the abuse of ticketing and fines in my city. I have no doubt that many black citizens of my city have been also harmed.

"Whining"? I have not characterized complaints about fines being used for revenue as whining.

I have pointed out that those complaints do not outweigh 50 years of American policy, effort, and sacrifice.

Thats what white people always say. They believe they know best and that everything is a-ok for blacks.

No. That has not been what whites have always said.

THe consensus has been the exact opposite for 50 years.

FOr 50 years we have been busting our asses to help blacks because we bought the claim that all the issues of the blacks were caused by white racism.

This is becoming increasingly less convincing as the time of White Racist Policies receded further and further into the past.

Learn your history or you, like you just did, will be doomed to repeat it

Even before the passage of national civil rights laws in the 1960s, whites were convinced there was nothing wrong. In 1962, eighty-five percent of whites said black children had just as good a chance as white children to get a good education in their communities---a claim so self-evidently absurd in retrospect that it calls into question the ability of whites to perceive even the most elemental realities of the country in which they lived. And by 1969, a mere year after the death of Martin Luther King Jr., forty-four percent of whites told a Newsweek/Gallup National Opinion Survey that blacks had a better chance than they did to get a good paying job---two times as many as said they would have a worse chance. In the same poll, eighty percent of whites said blacks had an equal or better chance for a good education than whites did, while only seventeen percent said they would have a worse opportunity (2).

White America s Greatest Delusion They Do Not Know It and They Do Not Want to Know It Alternet

Even before the passage of national civil rights laws in the 1960s, whites were convinced there was nothing wrong. In 1962, eighty-five percent of whites said black children had just as good a chance as white children to get a good education in their communities---a claim so self-evidently absurd in retrospect that it calls into question the ability of whites to perceive even the most elemental realities of the country in which they lived. And by 1969, a mere year after the death of Martin Luther King Jr., forty-four percent of whites told a Newsweek/Gallup National Opinion Survey that blacks had a better chance than they did to get a good paying job---two times as many as said they would have a worse chance. In the same poll, eighty percent of whites said blacks had an equal or better chance for a good education than whites did, while only seventeen percent said they would have a worse opportunity (2).

White America s Greatest Delusion They Do Not Know It and They Do Not Want to Know It Alternet

This as well (excerpt)

Racial Bias in Hiring
Are Emily and Brendan More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?

In the study "Are Emily and Brendan More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?" Marianne Bertrand, an associate professor at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, and Sendhil Mullainathan of Massachusetts Institute of Technology use a field experiment to measure the extent of race-based job discrimination in the current labor market.

From July 2001 to May 2002, Bertrand and Mullainathan sent fictitious resumes in response to 1,300 help-wanted ads listed in the Boston Globe and the Chicago Tribune. They used the callback rate for interviews to measure the success of each resume. Approximately 5,000 resumes were sent for positions in sales, administrative support, clerical services, and customer service. Jobs ranged from a cashier at a store to the manager of sales at a large firm.

The catch was that the authors manipulated the perception of race via the name of each applicant, with comparable credentials for each racial group. Each resume was randomly assigned either a very white-sounding name (Emily Walsh, Brendan Baker) or a very African-American-sounding name (Lakisha Washington, Jamal Jones).

The authors find that applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called for an initial interview than applicants with African-American-sounding names. Applicants with white names need to send about 10 resumes to get one callback, whereas applicants with African-American names need to send about 15 resumes to achieve the same result.

In addition, race greatly affects how much applicants benefit from having more experience and credentials. White job applicants with higher-quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower-quality resumes. Having a higher-quality resume has a much smaller impact on African-American applicants, who experienced only 9 percent more callbacks for the same improvement in their credentials. This disparity suggests that in the current state of the labor market, African-Americans may not have strong individual incentives to build better resumes.

"For us, the most surprising and disheartening result is seeing that applicants with African-American names were not rewarded for having better resumes," says Bertrand.

Statistically, the authors found that discrimination levels were consistent across all the occupations and industries covered in the experiment. Even federal contractors (for whom affirmative action is better enforced) and companies that explicitly state that they are an "Equal Opportunity Employer" did not discriminate less.

Chicago GSB Capital Ideas

Racism isn't corruption?

No, these are very different concepts.

I suppose one would have to see racism as something other than a negative for that to be true.

cor·rup·tion

\kə-ˈrəp-shən\noun
: dishonest or illegal behavior especially by powerful people (such as government officials or police officers)

: the act of corrupting someone or something

: something that has been changed from its original form

Full Definition
a :impairment of integrity, virtue, or moral principle :depravity

b :decay, decomposition

c :inducement to wrong by improper or unlawful means (as bribery)

d :a departure from the original or from what is pure or correct
archaic :an agency or influence thatcorrupts

You really don't see any description here that would include racism as corruption?

Racism isn't corruption?

I suppose one would have to see racism as something other than a negative for that to be true.

cor·rup·tion

\kə-ˈrəp-shən\noun
: dishonest or illegal behavior especially by powerful people (such as government officials or police officers)

Full Definition

You really don't see any description here that would include racism as corruption?

Here is how I see racism;

Racism is the lowest, most crudely primitive form of collectivism. It is the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man’s genetic lineage—the notion that a man’s intellectual and characterological traits are produced and transmitted by his internal body chemistry. Which means, in practice, that a man is to be judged, not by his own character and actions, but by the characters and actions of a collective of ancestors.

Racism claims that the content of a man’s mind (not his cognitive apparatus, but its content) is inherited; that a man’s convictions, values and character are determined before he is born, by physical factors beyond his control. This is the caveman’s version of the doctrine of innate ideas—or of inherited knowledge—which has been thoroughly refuted by philosophy and science. Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men.

Like every form of determinism, racism invalidates the specific attribute which distinguishes man from all other living species: his rational faculty. Racism negates two aspects of man’s life: reason and choice, or mind and morality, replacing them with chemical predestination. - Ayn Rand

Mmm, wow. Opinion polls.

1969? Same year that the nation elected Richard Nixon who went on to desegregate Southern schools, as part of what became known as The Southern Strategy.

The Old Confederacy punished him by voting for him and becoming the solid base of the GOP for the next 50 years.

Indeed America as a whole was so angry over busing that they gave Nixon one of the greatest landslide re elections ever.

This as well (excerpt)

Racial Bias in Hiring

In the study "Are Emily and Brendan More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?" Marianne Bertrand, an associate professor at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, and Sendhil Mullainathan of Massachusetts Institute of Technology use a field experiment to measure the extent of race-based job discrimination in the current labor market.

From July 2001 to May 2002, Bertrand and Mullainathan sent fictitious resumes in response to 1,300 help-wanted ads listed in the Boston Globe and the Chicago Tribune. They used the callback rate for interviews to measure the success of each resume. Approximately 5,000 resumes were sent for positions in sales, administrative support, clerical services, and customer service. Jobs ranged from a cashier at a store to the manager of sales at a large firm.

The catch was that the authors manipulated the perception of race via the name of each applicant, with comparable credentials for each racial group. Each resume was randomly assigned either a very white-sounding name (Emily Walsh, Brendan Baker) or a very African-American-sounding name (Lakisha Washington, Jamal Jones).

The authors find that applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called for an initial interview than applicants with African-American-sounding names. Applicants with white names need to send about 10 resumes to get one callback, whereas applicants with African-American names need to send about 15 resumes to achieve the same result.

In addition, race greatly affects how much applicants benefit from having more experience and credentials. White job applicants with higher-quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower-quality resumes. Having a higher-quality resume has a much smaller impact on African-American applicants, who experienced only 9 percent more callbacks for the same improvement in their credentials. This disparity suggests that in the current state of the labor market, African-Americans may not have strong individual incentives to build better resumes.

"For us, the most surprising and disheartening result is seeing that applicants with African-American names were not rewarded for having better resumes," says Bertrand.

Statistically, the authors found that discrimination levels were consistent across all the occupations and industries covered in the experiment. Even federal contractors (for whom affirmative action is better enforced) and companies that explicitly state that they are an "Equal Opportunity Employer" did not discriminate less.

Racial bias in promotion.

Ricci v. DeStefano - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

" Eighteen city firefighters, seventeen of whom were white and one of whom wasHispanic, brought suit under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 after they had passed the test for promotions to management positions and the city declined to promote them. New Haven officials invalidated the test results because none of the blackfirefighters scored high enough to be considered for the positions. City officials stated that they feared a lawsuit over the test's disproportionate exclusion of certain racial groups from promotion under the controversial "disparate impact" theory of liability."

THis fear is universal in hiring and promotion decisions. I have seen whites be denied promotions based on it myself, when I was in management.

Racism isn't corruption?

cor·rup·tion

\kə-ˈrəp-shən\noun

Full Definition

Here is how I see racism;

Racism is the lowest, most crudely primitive form of collectivism. It is the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man’s genetic lineage—the notion that a man’s intellectual and characterological traits are produced and transmitted by his internal body chemistry. Which means, in practice, that a man is to be judged, not by his own character and actions, but by the characters and actions of a collective of ancestors.

Racism claims that the content of a man’s mind (not his cognitive apparatus, but its content) is inherited; that a man’s convictions, values and character are determined before he is born, by physical factors beyond his control. This is the caveman’s version of the doctrine of innate ideas—or of inherited knowledge—which has been thoroughly refuted by philosophy and science. Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men.

Like every form of determinism, racism invalidates the specific attribute which distinguishes man from all other living species: his rational faculty. Racism negates two aspects of man’s life: reason and choice, or mind and morality, replacing them with chemical predestination. - Ayn Rand

Ok
Now, if a police department allows racially biased or even racist actions and practices to occur, that is not a corruption?

This as well (excerpt)

Racial Bias in Hiring

" Eighteen city firefighters, seventeen of whom were white and one of whom wasHispanic, brought suit under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 after they had passed the test for promotions to management positions and the city declined to promote them. New Haven officials invalidated the test results because none of the blackfirefighters scored high enough to be considered for the positions. City officials stated that they feared a lawsuit over the test's disproportionate exclusion of certain racial groups from promotion under the controversial "disparate impact" theory of liability."

THis fear is universal in hiring and promotion decisions. I have seen whites be denied promotions based on it myself, when I was in management.

Like I said, I have no problem with a few white guys stepping aside for a brother. The alternative has already been reality.

This as well (excerpt)

Racial Bias in Hiring

Like I said, I have no problem with a few white guys stepping aside for a brother. The alternative has already been reality.

GOt it. You support reverse discrimination.

That is the standard lefty position.

All the democratically appointed Justices voted for the blatant anti-white discrimination in New Haven.

Yall remember back in the '90's when the perception was that under-policing was a big part of rampant criminality in the ghetto?

How do you all reconcile that with the new claim that it's not rampant criminality, just the illusion of it as created by high incarceration rates from over policing?

By simply recognizing that it went too far.

You're missing my point, which is kinda impressive.

If there was rampant criminality when there was under policing, how can you say with such self assurance that over policing just makes it -look- like there's rampant criminality?

I'll agree that the war on drugs has been massively destructive, but anyone who puts this off purely as the fault of white policing policies without examining how culture affects this situation is either dense or disingenuous.

Firstly,is crime rampant? Is crime today AS rampant as the 90's?
No
violentcrime_fig1.jpg

Secondly, I never asserted that over policing accounted for the entirety of black crime rates.You did(a bit disingenuous huh) If you bothered to look at the Ferguson report and national crime statistics you will find that while whites and blacks commit certain crimes at nearly the same rate, blacks are arrested and convicted at higher levels. Certainly you can see how that might affect statistics by race if officers are spending more time pursuing blacks.

That's a cute graph, and thank you for the pleasant reminder that crime here is trending downward.

My point was more about proportion. When African Americans make up just under 14 percent of the total population while contributing just over 50 percent to the nation's total homicide rates, rampant seems like a fair term. Combine this with the fact that statistically, neighborhoods that are comprised primarily of a single ethnicity tend to spike higher in virtually all crime stats, all black neighborhoods can reasonably be expected to have a much higher need for rapid response, which means you'd have a much higher concentration of nearby beat cops.

Now, whether various municipalities have gone overboard with that concentration in recent years is certainly up for debate, and I don't claim to be an expert on the logistics of crime prevention, but I must admit that the hyperbolic rhetoric of the "our neighborhoods are being occupied" crowd cause me to question the severity of their proposed solutions with the same incredulity with which they regard the concentration of police in black neighborhoods.

That said, you seem much more open in your interpretation of contributing factors than the majority of those I've discussed this with. Especially when you consider sentencing discrepancies, it's impossible to say racism doesn't factor into incarceration in a significant way. However, given that so many of black youth cultural norms are based largely in rap culture, which is based largely in gang and prison culture (and often equates gang criminality to black empowerment activism) you could reasonably attribute much of that negative perception of black suspects and plaintiffs by police and judges as a mere expectation that individuals in question emulate the criminals revered by the cultural influences with whom they share perceived similarities. Not saying the reasoning isn't errant, but it certainly isn't all blind racism, and popular African American culture is culpable.

Anyway, we seem to agree that it's a mix of factors, though we probably have different opinions on how much of each or how to solve it. At any rate, sorry for painting your argument as all or nothing. Awfully presumptuous of me. Didn't mean to straw man you :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back