WHITE granny '''assaulted''' by cop

Was it really necessary to tase an unarmed grandma? C'mon now.

After initially refusing to sign the ticket, and before things spiraled out of control, grandma finally concedes to sign the ticket. "Oh we're beyond that", the cop says. What's the point of escalating the situation here by the cop? Just give her the ticket to sign and everyone carries on with the rest of their day.

Defuse the situation.
I think it would have been good for the cop to have advised Granny that she would be arrested if she didn't comply with signing for the ticket.

Totally agree.

A calm explanation of "Ma'am, it's your right not to sign this ticket. But if you refuse to sign this ticket, then I am authorized to place you under arrest and take you into custody." Instead, when she refused to sign the ticket, he went straight to "Get out of the car."

This escalation simply wasn't necessary. This altercation easily could have been avoided by the officer. Granted it could have been avoided by grandma too, but I'll always hold police officers to a higher standard of doing their job in a professional manner.

This guy was looking for drama. And he was looking for a reason to use force. Big man couldn't restrain a little ol' lady and just HAD to use his taser.
Very good description of what the officer should have done. I agree anyone in an authoritative position is and should be held to a higher standard to insure public safety. It was obvious granny wasn't an actual threat just an obnoxious dumb ass.

After initially refusing to sign the ticket, and before things spiraled out of control, grandma finally concedes to sign the ticket. "Oh we're beyond that", the cop says. What's the point of escalating the situation here by the cop? Just give her the ticket to sign and everyone carries on with the rest of their day.

Defuse the situation.
I think it would have been good for the cop to have advised Granny that she would be arrested if she didn't comply with signing for the ticket.

Totally agree.

A calm explanation of "Ma'am, it's your right not to sign this ticket. But if you refuse to sign this ticket, then I am authorized to place you under arrest and take you into custody." Instead, when she refused to sign the ticket, he went straight to "Get out of the car."

This escalation simply wasn't necessary. This altercation easily could have been avoided by the officer. Granted it could have been avoided by grandma too, but I'll always hold police officers to a higher standard of doing their job in a professional manner.

This guy was looking for drama. And he was looking for a reason to use force. Big man couldn't restrain a little ol' lady and just HAD to use his taser.
Very good description of what the officer should have done. I agree anyone in an authoritative position is and should be held to a higher standard to insure public safety. It was obvious granny wasn't an actual threat just an obnoxious dumb ass.
I suspect the officer would had experience much less grief in the long run if he had allowed her to sign after she finally agreed under the threat of arrest.

Defuse the situation.

Totally agree.

An officer does this every day. It might have been the first time this lady has been pulled over and acted emotionally because it was an experience
she was not prepared to properly handle.

Yes, we should require the officer to be the one to understand that here.

Defuse the situation.

Totally agree.

An officer does this every day. It might have been the first time this lady has been pulled over and acted emotionally because it was an experience
she was not prepared to properly handle.

Yes, we should require the officer to be the one to understand that here.
Yes I considered that too. First ticket I ever got like that I didn't like the idea of signing it as if in agreement with it. Yet I told the officer that and he handed me the ticket for I could read it for myself before signing it and I noted right on the ticket signed in disagreement.

Defuse the situation.

She attempted to drive off. That's a serious offense.

I'm sure that is printed on the ticket.
A reasonable person would have read the ticket, just like any document you are asked to sign.
Then if you don't want to sign it, fine. You reap the consequences.
He told her to sign it without reading it first. One should never sign anything they do not read first.

Defuse the situation.

She did.

AFTER the lady asked for the ticket and the cop denied her request. It shouldn't have even got to that point.

Defuse the situation.

She did.

AFTER the lady asked for the ticket and the cop denied her request. It shouldn't have even got to that point.

Watch it again. Even with the edits, it's clear that the car was running and she drove forward until she stopped and offered to sign the ticket. The offense had already been committed. She attempted to drive off from a traffic stop.

As for the arrest, that lady was 300 pounds if she was an ounce. The cop, running solo, would have had to use considerable physical force to get her handcuffed as she was resisting. At her age, such force, even minimally applied, could have caused tissue damage, or even a fracture. Costing her months or years of physical therapy.

The TASER took some of that fight out of her without doing any physical damage.

This video is a good example why cops carry body cams. Without it, she would have gone to court dressed up in her nicest, little, old lady clothes. Her family would have come to testify that she was a sweet, old thing who plays bingo, bakes apple pies, and would never do such an awful thing. She probably would have brought a pie for the judge.

People get mad all the time when they get tickets. There are limits to how much you can 'act up' with the police doing their duties before you make yourself the recipient of more serious charges.

The woman could have avoided the entire situation if she'd signed the ticket and made her case to the court who, unlike the police, have the power to negate the fine if they believe it's warranted.

Defuse the situation.

She did.

Watch it again. Even with the edits, it's clear that the car was running and she drove forward until she stopped and offered to sign the ticket. The offense had already been committed. She attempted to drive off from a traffic stop.

As for the arrest, that lady was 300 pounds if she was an ounce. The cop, running solo, would have had to use considerable physical force to get her handcuffed as she was resisting. At her age, such force, even minimally applied, could have caused tissue damage, or even a fracture. Costing her months or years of physical therapy.

The TASER took some of that fight out of her without doing any physical damage.

This video is a good example why cops carry body cams. Without it, she would have gone to court dressed up in her nicest, little, old lady clothes. Her family would have come to testify that she was a sweet, old thing who plays bingo, bakes apple pies, and would never do such an awful thing. She probably would have brought a pie for the judge.

People get mad all the time when they get tickets. There are limits to how much you can 'act up' with the police doing their duties before you make yourself the recipient of more serious charges.

The woman could have avoided the entire situation if she'd signed the ticket and made her case to the court who, unlike the police, have the power to negate the fine if they believe it's warranted.

There isn't much we agree on here.

The car appears to be in front of the church and just a few feet in front of the police car at the beginning of the altercation. When the lady asks for the ticket, the car is still in front of the church and a few feet in front of the police car. Not sure how you figure that she moved.

If a cop can't restrain an old lady without a weapon, then he has no business being a cop. At that age, a taser can also do some damage, whether causing some kind of cardiac issue or any other permanent damage.

Shock Tactics: A 911 call, a Taser shot and the toll of stun guns

I do, however, agree with the body cams. They can be used both to protect the officer and to protect the citizen.

The cop could have also avoided the entire situation by giving the lady the ticket when she requested it.

If a cop can't restrain an old lady without a weapon, then he has no business being a cop.

How many people have you arrested? I'm curious about your experience in restraining large, angry men or women.

Oh here we go.

Go ahead and tell me how hard it is to restrain little old ladies.

You have claimed expertise on the subject. I'm genuinely interested in how you obtained that expertise.

Pray, tell.

If a cop can't restrain an old lady without a weapon, then he has no business being a cop.

How many people have you arrested? I'm curious about your experience in restraining large, angry men or women.

Oh here we go.

You have claimed expertise on the subject. I'm genuinely interested in how you obtained that expertise.

Pray, tell.

Let's just get to it. Go on and tell me how difficult it is to restrain little old ladies. Obviously you have some experience you're trying to get at here.

Oh here we go.

Pray, tell.

Let's just get to it. Go on and tell me how difficult it is to restrain little old ladies. Obviously you have some experience you're trying to get at here.

I agree she was old, not so sure about the lady part. Are you claiming the woman in the video was 'little'?

If she seems little to you, I recommend you choose the salad bar next time.

Oh here we go.

Pray, tell.

I agree she was old, not so sure about the lady part. Are you claiming the woman in the video was 'little'?

You're not sure about the lady part? :confused-84:

Maybe not little. But not intimidating either way. Could you have restrained her without a weapon?

Oh here we go.

Pray, tell.

Maybe not little. But not intimidating either way. Could you have restrained her without a weapon?

I wasn't there.

Oh here we go.

Pray, tell.

I wasn't there.

So go ahead and tell me how difficult it has been for your to restrain old women. That way we can compare it to your experience.

Forum List

Back