White students can't compete with asians in NJ school district

Sports are not a hindrance to education.
Of course it is.......

Absolutely not. Participating in organized sports teaches discipline, time-management, and excuse-free focus on results.
It also teaches you to work with others, but in Asian countries that is not the case. Schools often start at 6:30 am and finish at 5:00. Then you have homework until 11:00, including Saturdays. School year is much longer as well. No time for sports.

Is this the environment we want in the US, for any children that want to be competitive at high levels?

Cause it sounds like Hell to me.
There is such a disparity, that just changing the school day time and year to more time in school would be appropriate. The kids do not have to go 6:40 til' 11:00. but 7:40 to 5:00 would work with year round sc
Sports are not a hindrance to education.
Of course it is.......

Absolutely not. Participating in organized sports teaches discipline, time-management, and excuse-free focus on results.
It also teaches you to work with others, but in Asian countries that is not the case. Schools often start at 6:30 am and finish at 5:00. Then you have homework until 11:00, including Saturdays. School year is much longer as well. No time for sports.

Is this the environment we want in the US, for any children that want to be competitive at high levels?

We don't have to be that extreme, but more time on school and time on homework should be established.

Why? Because that's what the Asians do?

I enjoyed summer vacation as a child and enjoy summer vacations with my daughter now.

What is the point of these changes you propose?

In another attempt to address the OP, I believe NJ White students could compete quite well with Asians if they had the same family and cultural reinforcement for education. Also White kids seem to be obsessed with social media more so than Asians. That doesn't help the GPA or the SAT scores either.

Do we want suicides from poor SAT scores to be an issue in our country?

We'd have less poor people...
I've been waiting for you to chime in on the US's math and science scores so much worse that Asia. I did not expect that comment of yours.

Of course it is.......

There is such a disparity, that just changing the school day time and year to more time in school would be appropriate. The kids do not have to go 6:40 til' 11:00. but 7:40 to 5:00 would work with year round sc
Of course it is.......

We don't have to be that extreme, but more time on school and time on homework should be established.

I enjoyed summer vacation as a child and enjoy summer vacations with my daughter now.

Year round school still has summer time off and holidays. Not 3 month in summer. Wouldn't you be a supporter of higher standards more people off welfare?

In another attempt to address the OP, I believe NJ White students could compete quite well with Asians if they had the same family and cultural reinforcement for education. Also White kids seem to be obsessed with social media more so than Asians. That doesn't help the GPA or the SAT scores either.

There are plenty of suicides over cyber bullying on social media. Too bad the kids aren't interested in education as much as Asian families. At least they would have a strong support system with the school and family.

I asked you if your desire to be competitive with Asians on education is such that you are willing to accept one of the negatives from such high pressure learning, ie additional suicides.

Pointing out that we have suicides from cyber bullying is at best a non sequitur.

Do you want suicides from poor SAT scores to be an issue in our country?

Of course it is.......

Of course it is.......

Asians are coming here taking US jobs. That can affect you and your children if we don't educate better.

Year round school still has summer time off and holidays. Not 3 month in summer. Wouldn't you be a supporter of higher standards more people off welfare?

I'm still not seeing a why.

I've been waiting for you to chime in on the US's math and science scores so much worse that Asia. I did not expect that comment of yours.

I think we should expect higher quality within our educational institutions and expect more out of our kids. We've become a society that allows to much play time, smart asses and parties over making a generation of innovators.

We can regain our place a world educational power if we start acting like it again. Do away with common core and replace it with one of the top 5 educational systems! I am not talking about more money,,,What I am talking about when I say education is making the right reforms.

Asians are coming here taking US jobs. That can affect you and your children if we don't educate better.

Or we could ban Asians from coming here to take US jobs.

And keep traditional American childhoods, instead of Hell.

There are plenty of suicides over cyber bullying on social media. Too bad the kids aren't interested in education as much as Asian families. At least they would have a strong support system with the school and family.

I asked you if your desire to be competitive with Asians on education is such that you are willing to accept one of the negatives from such high pressure learning, ie additional suicides.

Pointing out that we have suicides from cyber bullying is at best a non sequitur.

I think if we prepared our children for reasonable outcomes and opportunities they fit, suicides would not be a problem. In Asia, the highest scoring students went to the top colleges. But there are still opportunities for lesser colleges for those who didn't score as high, just as it is here.

There are more suicides for those in high school that did not have to work hard or study and then went to college without the proper education and study skills flunking out.

I think we should expect higher quality within our educational institutions and expect more out of our kids. We've become a society that allows to much play time, smart asses and parties over making a generation of innovators.

We can regain our place a world educational power if we start acting like it again. Do away with common core and replace it with one of the top 5 educational systems! I am not talking about more money,,,What I am talking about when I say education is making the right reforms.

I am somewhat familiar with some of the changes in common core and boy is it different! Not onlt is there more homework but the application of the skills were apparent right away. At first I was astonished, but then impressed.

We haven't been able to ban immigrants, we certainly can not ban them from taking the best paying jobs.

Not within the foreseeable future in perhaps two decades we could change out society to embrace education and the expectations of our children in education, the way the Asians have their expectations but probably not as severe.

Look at those on welfare. Most have not finished school because society doesn't maintain that getting a job is paramount in this country and impossible without a high school diploma. If your parents are on welfare it is psychologically telling the children it is okay for them. They have children out of wedlock without any skills. What is worse?

We also need vocational education for those who enjoy working with their hands.

I believe in American exceptionalism, not mediocre accomplishments.

I think if we prepared our children for reasonable outcomes and opportunities they fit, suicides would not be a problem. In Asia, the highest scoring students went to the top colleges. But there are still opportunities for lesser colleges for those who didn't score as high, just as it is here.

There are more suicides for those in high school that did not have to work hard or study and then went to college without the proper education and study skills flunking out.

That is not the "Asian" way as you have previously described and would NOT get the results of the much higher pressure you described.

Thus that is just another way to not be "Competitive".

You were impressed with common core? What did you like about it? I thought it was very confusing and not well designed.

Not within the foreseeable future in perhaps two decades we could change out society to embrace education and the expectations of our children in education, the way the Asians have their expectations but probably not as severe.

Look at those on welfare. Most have not finished school because society doesn't maintain that getting a job is paramount in this country and impossible without a high school diploma. If your parents are on welfare it is psychologically telling the children it is okay for them. They have children out of wedlock without any skills. What is worse?

We also need vocational education for those who enjoy working with their hands.

So, we ruin everyone's childhood in order to convince the children of those on welfare the importance of education?

That does not sound like a good reason to me.

Asians generally have higher IQs than Whites. Whites generally have higher IQs than negroes.
Observe those who are attending MIT.

Not true. Asians tend to learn things by rote, that is why they do so well.

I believe in American exceptionalism, not mediocre accomplishments.

We put a man on the moon with scientists who grew up with summer vacations.

The idea that we need to give up summer vacations and happy childhoods in order to continue to be exceptional is unsupported.

That is not the "Asian" way as you have previously described and would NOT get the results of the much higher pressure you described.

Thus that is just another way to not be "Competitive".
Well, you have to agree that the Asian countries score higher in competitiveness than we do. Longer school days and school year would help.

We haven't been able to ban immigrants, we certainly can not ban them from taking the best paying jobs.

We've banned them in the past. It is an idea who's time has come again.

Forum List

Back