White students can't compete with asians in NJ school district

I'm certainly not advocating that every American family be ruled by a Tiger Mom screaming about getting a B. But I think it is fair to say, White kids are generally lazy and would benefit by putting the damn cell phones down for an hour or two a night and studying.

Maybe if we had an education system that put more emphasis on helping bright kids excel instead of focusing on those with learning and behavior problems, you might see some more excelling going on.
That's interesting. I was a teacher for the disadvantaged and there lies many of the behavior problems. I think we have to focus on the challenged, average and gifted student. It would be nice if we had expert teachers in all of those areas. Lol. I know that is impossible.

It also teaches you to work with others, but in Asian countries that is not the case. Schools often start at 6:30 am and finish at 5:00. Then you have homework until 11:00, including Saturdays. School year is much longer as well. No time for sports.

Is this the environment we want in the US, for any children that want to be competitive at high levels?

Cause it sounds like Hell to me.
There is such a disparity, that just changing the school day time and year to more time in school would be appropriate. The kids do not have to go 6:40 til' 11:00. but 7:40 to 5:00 would work with year round sc
It also teaches you to work with others, but in Asian countries that is not the case. Schools often start at 6:30 am and finish at 5:00. Then you have homework until 11:00, including Saturdays. School year is much longer as well. No time for sports.

Is this the environment we want in the US, for any children that want to be competitive at high levels?

We don't have to be that extreme, but more time on school and time on homework should be established.

Why? Because that's what the Asians do?

I enjoyed summer vacation as a child and enjoy summer vacations with my daughter now.

What is the point of these changes you propose?
Asians are coming here taking US jobs. That can affect you and your children if we don't educate better.

Or we could ban Asians from coming here to take US jobs.

And keep traditional American childhoods, instead of Hell.

You're lazy and afraid to compete.

I'm certainly not advocating that every American family be ruled by a Tiger Mom screaming about getting a B. But I think it is fair to say, White kids are generally lazy and would benefit by putting the damn cell phones down for an hour or two a night and studying.

Maybe if we had an education system that put more emphasis on helping bright kids excel instead of focusing on those with learning and behavior problems, you might see some more excelling going on.
That's interesting. I was a teacher for the disadvantaged and there lies many of the behavior problems. I think we have to focus on the challenged, average and gifted student. It would be nice if we had expert teachers in all of those areas. Lol. I know that is impossible.

But we are creating more behavior problems with lax school policies. That girl that was thrown out of her chair across the room and caused such controversy would have never happened if phones were banned from the classroom.

Why not?

"Competitive" means you compete.

Because it would be miserable for our children and ourselves.

If the cost of competition is that the childhoods of our descendants have to be Hell, then let US not compete.

Screw that.
Year around school is not hell.

As you describe it with longer hours and more homework, yes it would be.
You do know that they still get two months off a year, just not all at once which really is better. Longer hours is not bad and would be economical for working parents. More homework is more practice. At least an hour and a half a night would be acceptable to me.

Longer hours are bad.

More homework is a waste of time.

There is such a disparity, that just changing the school day time and year to more time in school would be appropriate. The kids do not have to go 6:40 til' 11:00. but 7:40 to 5:00 would work with year round sc

We don't have to be that extreme, but more time on school and time on homework should be established.

I enjoyed summer vacation as a child and enjoy summer vacations with my daughter now.

Asians are coming here taking US jobs. That can affect you and your children if we don't educate better.

I believe we can be competitive without ruining the lives of our children.

But we are creating more behavior problems with lax school policies. That girl that was thrown out of her chair across the room and caused such controversy would have never happened if phones were banned from the classroom.

We are not creating more behavior problems.

Illegitimacy is creating behavior problems.

Why not?

If the cost of competition is that the childhoods of our descendants have to be Hell, then let US not compete.

Screw that.

You do know that they still get two months off a year, just not all at once which really is better. Longer hours is not bad and would be economical for working parents. More homework is more practice. At least an hour and a half a night would be acceptable to me.

Longer hours are bad.

Homework is a waste of time??? If your golf game needs work, don't you need more practice?
In my Latin II class, I wasn't doling well until I studied like crazy at least two hours a night and finally pulled my grade up to a B. It would have been higher if I didn't squander time before my epiphany!

{{sigh}} Yes, we are creating behavior problems by not setting defined parameters of acceptable behavior and enabling poor behavior via lowering the bar of expected and acceptable behavior.

Screw that.

Longer hours are bad.

Homework is a waste of time??? If your golf game needs work, don't you need more practice?
In my Latin II class, I wasn't doling well until I studied like crazy at least two hours a night and finally pulled my grade up to a B. It would have been higher if I didn't squander time before my epiphany!

If there is a problem, having time to spend on it is a good thing.

If your time is filled doing busy work for your other classes, repeatedly "practicing" concepts and skills you already understand, you can't focus on what you really need to, on those times you need to.

Year round school still has summer time off and holidays. Not 3 month in summer. Wouldn't you be a supporter of higher standards more people off welfare?

I'm still not seeing a why.
Not within the foreseeable future in perhaps two decades we could change out society to embrace education and the expectations of our children in education, the way the Asians have their expectations but probably not as severe.

Look at those on welfare. Most have not finished school because society doesn't maintain that getting a job is paramount in this country and impossible without a high school diploma. If your parents are on welfare it is psychologically telling the children it is okay for them. They have children out of wedlock without any skills. What is worse?

We also need vocational education for those who enjoy working with their hands.

So, we ruin everyone's childhood in order to convince the children of those on welfare the importance of education?

That does not sound like a good reason to me.

What a slack-ass loser attitude.

{{sigh}} Yes, we are creating behavior problems by not setting defined parameters of acceptable behavior and enabling poor behavior via lowering the bar of expected and acceptable behavior.

If Society is in Free Fall outside, school is not going to be different.

Unless you start getting selective about who you allow inside.

Year round school still has summer time off and holidays. Not 3 month in summer. Wouldn't you be a supporter of higher standards more people off welfare?

I'm still not seeing a why.
Not within the foreseeable future in perhaps two decades we could change out society to embrace education and the expectations of our children in education, the way the Asians have their expectations but probably not as severe.

Look at those on welfare. Most have not finished school because society doesn't maintain that getting a job is paramount in this country and impossible without a high school diploma. If your parents are on welfare it is psychologically telling the children it is okay for them. They have children out of wedlock without any skills. What is worse?

We also need vocational education for those who enjoy working with their hands.

So, we ruin everyone's childhood in order to convince the children of those on welfare the importance of education?

That does not sound like a good reason to me.

What a slack-ass loser attitude.

Nope.

Not crafting national policy based on what the children of welfare recipients need is hardly "slack ass loser attitude".

Expecting children to do the best they can is ruining their lives? Taking away a month of doing nothing is ruining their lives? That sounds like a seven year old expected to go to bed at 8. Wha......! You are ruining my life! Or what my son said years ago when he couldn't go to the mall after hours....

All my grandsons have year around school and look forward to seeing their friends again after the month long break. Go figure.

We haven't been able to ban immigrants, we certainly can not ban them from taking the best paying jobs.

We've banned them in the past. It is an idea who's time has come again.

Absolutely stupid.

Longer hours are bad.

If there is a problem, having time to spend on it is a good thing.

If your time is filled doing busy work for your other classes, repeatedly "practicing" concepts and skills you already understand, you can't focus on what you really need to, on those times you need to.
I agree that homework should be meaningful, what is being taught in the classroom. It also affords the parent time to see how their child is doing in school. If they are having trouble, you'll be the first to know.

Expecting children to do the best they can is ruining their lives? Taking away a month of doing nothing is ruining their lives? That sounds like a seven year old expected to go to bed at 8. Wha......! You are ruining my life! Or what my son said years ago when he couldn't go to the mall after hours....

All my grandsons have year around school and look forward to seeing their friends again after the month long break. Go figure.

1. DO they have the extended hours you want? TO provide "economic" daycare for working parents?

2. DO they have that extra homework that you want?

3. The fact that they look forward to seeing their friends does not show that they needed that additional school time to master their subjects, nor that they are having a healthy amount of play and family time as part of their normally daily or weekly routine.

There are plenty of suicides over cyber bullying on social media. Too bad the kids aren't interested in education as much as Asian families. At least they would have a strong support system with the school and family.

I asked you if your desire to be competitive with Asians on education is such that you are willing to accept one of the negatives from such high pressure learning, ie additional suicides.

Pointing out that we have suicides from cyber bullying is at best a non sequitur.

Do you want suicides from poor SAT scores to be an issue in our country?
I think if we prepared our children for reasonable outcomes and opportunities they fit, suicides would not be a problem. In Asia, the highest scoring students went to the top colleges. But there are still opportunities for lesser colleges for those who didn't score as high, just as it is here.

There are more suicides for those in high school that did not have to work hard or study and then went to college without the proper education and study skills flunking out.

That is not the "Asian" way as you have previously described and would NOT get the results of the much higher pressure you described.

Thus that is just another way to not be "Competitive".
Well, you have to agree that the Asian countries score higher in competitiveness than we do. Longer school days and school year would help.

"In competitiveness"? Which country are you thinking of? Japan? China?

They aren't kicking our asses with competitiveness because of no school vacations.

Unfair Trade Policies and Deals are what are kicking our asses.

Typical democrat union infant.

We haven't been able to ban immigrants, we certainly can not ban them from taking the best paying jobs.

We've banned them in the past. It is an idea who's time has come again.

Absolutely stupid.

What a brilliant point. I guess that you had a year long school year with extended hours and extra homework?

Cause no "white student" from an American school system could be so brilliant and wise...

Ban them. Why make it impossible to compete without replacing CHildhood with Hell?

Of course it is.......

Absolutely not. Participating in organized sports teaches discipline, time-management, and excuse-free focus on results.

Why not?

Screw that.

Do you want a participation trophy?

Let our country slide because lazy, slack-ass pieces of shit like you consider trying hard to be "hell"? Screw that.

Forum List

Back