White students can't compete with asians in NJ school district

I believe we can be competitive without ruining the lives of our children.
Expecting children to do the best they can is ruining their lives? Taking away a month of doing nothing is ruining their lives? That sounds like a seven year old expected to go to bed at 8. Wha......! You are ruining my life! Or what my son said years ago when he couldn't go to the mall after hours....

All my grandsons have year around school and look forward to seeing their friends again after the month long break. Go figure.

1. DO they have the extended hours you want? TO provide "economic" daycare for working parents?

2. DO they have that extra homework that you want?

3. The fact that they look forward to seeing their friends does not show that they needed that additional school time to master their subjects, nor that they are having a healthy amount of play and family time as part of their normally daily or weekly routine.
1. No, and if they had them I bet I would be paying lots for my grand kids all A's. They have day care for working parents until 5 when they could be in school..
2. Most of the year, yes since they have introduced Common Core. But I will say the teachers stop teaching after the test is given in the spring and the week of holiday break which I think is a crime!
4. You have to realize that families are not together for family time until they are home from work which is generally 6:00.
Now, I told you the truth especially in #2, so you tell me...do you have children and if so, how do they do in school. Remember, truth matters.
Another terrible truth... There are not enough books for the all the students to have a copy for working at home. But they have a grand baseball, basketball and football facilities! :eusa_naughty:

1. I'm sorry both their parents have to work. That is something else we should be addressing.

1b Link that longer hours means better grades.

2. And yet they are not getting all As? Ask you kid how much time they have with their children.

3. I realize no such thing.

I do have a daughter. 2cd grade, straight As and in the Gifted Program.

I was angry that she was forced to do full day Kindergarten. She is involved in some online math contest with the school and has exhausted most of the points available from 2cd, 3rd, and 4th grade math.

5th grade math is too hard for her and I am not pushing her. I worry already about her being bored out of her mind over the next two years as it is.

My wife and I work alternating Part Time and we have a lot of family time together and are vary happy that she has not been stupidly burdened with busy work like some of her relatives in near by schools.

My son was in a private school, single parent working and going to graduate school.

We worked on Bible paragraphs in 2nd grade (a real chore!) and too much time was allotted to that.

Also had an astronomy test in 2nd grade ( 3 typed pages!)...First year in private school.

Do you work? Was your daughter upset with all day school? How would she know the difference?

Be careful about not expecting your daughter to learn 5th grade math. Often times it is not repeated in the next grade and she could be floundering when she is expected to manage 6th grade math when she needed 5th grade mastery for a foundation. Especially in math. Do you understand that?

I am excited for your daughter that you have such a wonderful time together. But that is not to say when a child studies more than her that his or her life isn't as valuable or happy.

And how do you know that other local school assign "busy work?"

Yes. I work.

She struggled with it. It was pretty hard, and somewhat of a shock for her, after a very good preschool.

I was careful to NOT voice my concerns as it would have only made it harder for her.

My daughter is currently in SECOND grade. I was referring to her competing in an online Math Contest, provided by the school.

In that she has "hit a wall", ie FIFTH GRADE math.

We believe her few serious rivals have also reached similar limits and now she is reduced to doing large amounts of lower level math to earn more points at a slow rate.

Because her cousins don't need to be that stressed to master their subjects.

I've read numerous articles and books that touch upon lack of sleep as a real problem for our young, and I have seen it relatives and friends of my daughter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/26/n...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

So will liberals dumb things down? Or will they finally realize that this is about work ethic? So why do they dumb things down for "equality" for other groups??
Wait a second. You can't possibly be suggesting it's LIBERALS who want to dumb things down? It's not liberals who are cutting funding for schools nation wide. It's not liberals who are anti science and want to teach magical creation.

And you can't possibly believe any of these parents of achievers want their children to go to school in Kentucky, or Arkansas, or Tennessee, or North Carolina or any other Redneck State?

Come on now. Get it straight.

Lack of money is not the problem. MOre money is not the answer.

DOing something about the collapsing family is the answer.
I have to say something about the "collapsing family." It's true that kids are growing up without fathers, some parents do drugs and exist in a crisis mode, but there are many kids who are living with loving grandparents, or in a 1 parent home and can be well adjusted as kids living with both parents but they share the children each week. The deciding factor is how good is the parent or guardian as a parent? Some of my children at school thrived with loving grandparents and were miserable when going back to live with natural mom and her boyfriends.

Some children do better in divorced homes when the arguing and loveless marriage was a poor model for the child to learn about marriage and happiness.

You're lazy and afraid to compete.

Expecting children to do the best they can is ruining their lives? Taking away a month of doing nothing is ruining their lives? That sounds like a seven year old expected to go to bed at 8. Wha......! You are ruining my life! Or what my son said years ago when he couldn't go to the mall after hours....

All my grandsons have year around school and look forward to seeing their friends again after the month long break. Go figure.

1. DO they have the extended hours you want? TO provide "economic" daycare for working parents?

3. The fact that they look forward to seeing their friends does not show that they needed that additional school time to master their subjects, nor that they are having a healthy amount of play and family time as part of their normally daily or weekly routine.
1. No, and if they had them I bet I would be paying lots for my grand kids all A's. They have day care for working parents until 5 when they could be in school..
2. Most of the year, yes since they have introduced Common Core. But I will say the teachers stop teaching after the test is given in the spring and the week of holiday break which I think is a crime!
4. You have to realize that families are not together for family time until they are home from work which is generally 6:00.
Now, I told you the truth especially in #2, so you tell me...do you have children and if so, how do they do in school. Remember, truth matters.
Another terrible truth... There are not enough books for the all the students to have a copy for working at home. But they have a grand baseball, basketball and football facilities! :eusa_naughty:

At many schools those sports make money.
Then they can use that money to buy books for every child!

The kind of slack-asses who see learning as a chore and effort as oppression are the same kind who see work as something to be avoided as much as possible. These fish then whine about their fear of competition.

That elevator goes in only one direction.

Most districts have more than enough texts. Many are transitioning to tablets even in less affluent areas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/26/n...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

So will liberals dumb things down? Or will they finally realize that this is about work ethic? So why do they dumb things down for "equality" for other groups??
Wait a second. You can't possibly be suggesting it's LIBERALS who want to dumb things down? It's not liberals who are cutting funding for schools nation wide. It's not liberals who are anti science and want to teach magical creation.

And you can't possibly believe any of these parents of achievers want their children to go to school in Kentucky, or Arkansas, or Tennessee, or North Carolina or any other Redneck State?

I have to say something about the "collapsing family." It's true that kids are growing up without fathers, some parents do drugs and exist in a crisis mode, but there are many kids who are living with loving grandparents, or in a 1 parent home and can be well adjusted as kids living with both parents but they share the children each week. The deciding factor is how good is the parent or guardian as a parent? Some of my children at school thrived with loving grandparents and were miserable when going back to live with natural mom and her boyfriends.

Some children do better in divorced homes when the arguing and loveless marriage was a poor model for the child to learn about marriage and happiness.

Studies show that generally that is not the case.

Mother married to the biological Father is likely to have a good outcome even is a crap neighborhood.

Single Mom likely to do crappy even in a nicer neighborhood.

1. I'm sorry both their parents have to work. That is something else we should be addressing.

2. And yet they are not getting all As? Ask you kid how much time they have with their children.

I was angry that she was forced to do full day Kindergarten. She is involved in some online math contest with the school and has exhausted most of the points available from 2cd, 3rd, and 4th grade math.

5th grade math is too hard for her and I am not pushing her. I worry already about her being bored out of her mind over the next two years as it is.

My wife and I work alternating Part Time and we have a lot of family time together and are vary happy that she has not been stupidly burdened with busy work like some of her relatives in near by schools.

My son was in a private school, single parent working and going to graduate school.

We worked on Bible paragraphs in 2nd grade (a real chore!) and too much time was allotted to that.

Also had an astronomy test in 2nd grade ( 3 typed pages!)...First year in private school.

Do you work? Was your daughter upset with all day school? How would she know the difference?

Be careful about not expecting your daughter to learn 5th grade math. Often times it is not repeated in the next grade and she could be floundering when she is expected to manage 6th grade math when she needed 5th grade mastery for a foundation. Especially in math. Do you understand that?

I am excited for your daughter that you have such a wonderful time together. But that is not to say when a child studies more than her that his or her life isn't as valuable or happy.

Yes. I work.

She struggled with it. It was pretty hard, and somewhat of a shock for her, after a very good preschool.

I was careful to NOT voice my concerns as it would have only made it harder for her.

My daughter is currently in SECOND grade. I was referring to her competing in an online Math Contest, provided by the school.

We believe her few serious rivals have also reached similar limits and now she is reduced to doing large amounts of lower level math to earn more points at a slow rate.

I've read numerous articles and books that touch upon lack of sleep as a real problem for our young, and I have seen it relatives and friends of my daughter.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. You needn't be worried about "rivals" if she mastered above grade math. Lack of sleep can be a real problem. Interestingly enough, the biggest worry comes in teen years. They need more sleep than when they were in elementary. Something to do with puberty, iirc.

Most districts have more than enough texts. Many are transitioning to tablets even in less affluent areas.
In middle school and high school, the teachers copy the text and the students paste the pages on a spiral notebook! Talk about busy work!

The kind of slack-asses who see learning as a chore and effort as oppression are the same kind who see work as something to be avoided as much as possible. These fish then whine about their fear of competition.

That elevator goes in only one direction.

YOur refusal to admit that there is any reasonable limit to the work load for a child robs your statement of any credibility.

Or that there is reasonable and unreasonable competition.

We ban the use of steroids in Professional Sports for a reason.

Sure it's more "competitive".

But we don't want people to have to harm themselves in order to be competitive.

That is a choice we made as a society.

I agreed with that choice.

Did you?

Mother married to the biological Father is likely to have a good outcome even is a crap neighborhood.

Anyone can go against the norm and many do. I've seen it with the inner city schools and friends.

In middle school and high school, the teachers copy the text and the students paste the pages on a spiral notebook!

Not in most districts.

Yes. I work.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. You needn't be worried about "rivals" if she mastered above grade math. Lack of sleep can be a real problem. Interestingly enough, the biggest worry comes in teen years. They need more sleep than when they were in elementary. Something to do with puberty, iirc.

I worry about her losing interest as she plods along in a class setting with the rate of covering material set by the slowest learners.

Gifted is ONE DAY a week.

More homework and longer hours will only waste more of her time and bore her more.

More class time is not the answer. The changes have to happen at home in the expectations of the parents. We had our sons take several AP classes and tests in high school and we used that as the gauge whether they were really learning what they needed for college.
One of my grandson is taking AP classes and teetering on a "C" average from time to time. He keeps giving me this guff that it is actually a B because it is an AP course. Not good enough for me when he spends most of his time with his nose in the iphone!

In middle school and high school, the teachers copy the text and the students paste the pages on a spiral notebook!

Not in most districts.
I would like to think so!

Anyone can go against the norm and many do. I've seen it with the inner city schools and friends.

I clearly stated that I was discussing general odds, not universal outcomes.

You are obviously emotionally invested in getting as many students, even those with the odds stacked against them, as possible though the material and ready for the adult world.

A good place for a retired teacher to be coming from.:clap:

But still wrong.:crybaby:

More class time is not the answer. The changes have to happen at home in the expectations of the parents. We had our sons take several AP classes and tests in high school and we used that as the gauge whether they were really learning what they needed for college.
One of my grandson is taking AP classes and teetering on a "C" average from time to time. He keeps giving me this guff that it is actually a B because it is an AP course. Not good enough for me when he spends most of his time with his nose in the iphone!

I assume you respond appropriately.

Something like...:haha:

Yes. I work.

I worry about her losing interest as she plods along in a class setting with the rate of covering material set by the slowest learners.

Gifted is ONE DAY a week.

More homework and longer hours will only waste more of her time and bore her more.
I agree with her concern. Teach her little tricks that will envelope her sense for doing the work that is so easy.
I am familiar with the one day a week for gifted.

My g-son is so good in SS, not certain why, but he gets everything right, so I told him, I would concentrate on his handwriting when he writes for the certain A in Social Studies. So we are starring the great handwriting when it occurs and it is a fun thing for him to look forward to.

Last edited:

I asked if he was happy with that. Reminding him that we are looking for academic scholarships...No, I didn't come down on him, but I know he can do better. IIf I said more, he would just give me excuses. Let dad handle it, lol.

At the same time, I wonder if you really understand achievement and a student who expects the best from himself. I don't want you to be satisfied with mediocre work from your daughter when you know she can do well. Have appropriate standards for each child.

I clearly stated that I was discussing general odds, not universal outcomes.

You are obviously emotionally invested in getting as many students, even those with the odds stacked against them, as possible though the material and ready for the adult world.

A good place for a retired teacher to be coming from.:clap:

But still wrong.:crybaby:
Let me put it this way. A good teacher always reaches for mastery with each lesson. I don't even look at the odds any more. Just figure out a way to get them to mastery. I won't make evaluations of children until I see their thinking and intervene for them.

Forum List

Back