Who else will get a bailout after Trump/Republican tariffs?

Frank the Tank

VIP Member
Dec 15, 2017
Now that Donald Trump acknowledges the economic damage his tariffs are doing by offering farmers a $12 BILLION bailout for damage caused by the tariff HE and REPUBLICANS have imposed....there are numerous questions that should be asked. Tops among them would be what other self imposed government spending should we expect?

So...if farmers get a bailout for economic damage caused by this President....who else will get a bailout?! Plus, of course, how many tax dollars will be sacrificed to do so?
On Trump's farm bailout, the GOP doth protest too much

We are seeing a pattern develop where Republican policy leads to gigantic bailouts (see Gramm/Leach/Bliley Republican bill that passed in 1999 that led to the economic crash in 2008). We are also seeing that Republican legislation often leads to large swaths of Republican spending to accommodate for that Republican legislation.

We should, at minimum, be able to say that Republicans are NOT the party of 'fiscal responsibility'...it is the exact opposite.

Last edited:
Now that Donald Trump acknowledges the economic damage his tariffs are doing by offering farmers a $12 BILLION bailout for damage caused by the tariff HE and REPUBLICANS have imposed....there are numerous questions that should be asked. Tops among them would be what other self imposed government spending should we expect?

So...if farmers get a bailout for economic damage caused by this President....who else will get a bailout?! Plus, of course, how many tax dollars will be sacrificed to do so?

We are seeing a pattern develop where Republican policy leads to gigantic bailouts (see Gramm/Leach/Bliley Republican bill that passed in 1999 that led to the economic crash in 2008). We are also seeing that Republican legislation often leads to large swaths of Republican spending to accommodate for that Republican legislation.

We should, at minimum, be able to say that Republicans are NOT the party of 'fiscal responsibility'...it is the exact opposite.

We are seeing a pattern develop where Republican policy leads to gigantic bailouts (see Gramm/Leach/Bliley Republican bill that passed in 1999 that led to the economic crash in 2008).

How did Gramm/Leach/Bliley lead to the crash? Any specifics?

I have a big time prejudice in FAVOR of stimulation of
agriculture--------food is IMPORTANT. The USA should do everything possible to AVOID the need to import
food and also have lots of surplus (its the "mother" in
me------dairy products should be subsidized)

Do not forget that the tariffs are a form of a bailout themselves that are paid for by each of us as the cost of the tariffs are passed on to the consumer.

Do not forget that the tariffs are a form of a bailout themselves that are paid for by each of us as the cost of the tariffs are passed on to the consumer.

I am very old-----but remember that lesson from Junior
High school. I never did Economics 101------the subject CONFUSES ME. I hope those advising our
DEAR LEADER----know what (da hell) they are doing

We are seeing a pattern develop where Republican policy leads to gigantic bailouts (see Gramm/Leach/Bliley Republican bill that passed in 1999 that led to the economic crash in 2008).

Gramm/Leach/Bliley essentially deregulated banks and allowed them to lend multiple times on one asset. Prior to Glass/Steagall repeal (which was repealed with the GLB bill), there were rules set in place in how banks would lend and hold assets. That was largely wiped away with that bill and many experts agree that even though it wasn't the only reason for the crash...it was one of the largest contributors.

We bail out failing automotive companies so they can rebuild overseas.
We bail out countries that hate us.
We bail out corrupt politicians.
We bail out all kinds of people for some bullshit reasons.
While i dont think this issue with the farmers should happen, the outrage is a bunch of bullshit.

It is an artificial way of increasing inflation....something else Republicans have claimed to be against, in the past.

While i dont think this issue with the farmers should happen, the outrage is a bunch of bullshit.

OK....you're against Trump/Republican tariffs; got it.

agriculture--------food is IMPORTANT. The USA should do everything possible to AVOID the need to import
Grapes of Wrath.

Grapes of Wrath.

I was very INFLUENCED by that book----you have
insight.

I am against bailing out farmers. I am against bailing out anyone.
I dont work to cover other peoples failures.

Grapes of Wrath.

I was very INFLUENCED by that book----you have
insight.
Should be required reading for all Americans, especially politicians, IMHO But I realize that will never happen since it is way longer than a 140 character tweet.

Not being snarky, just wondering if you ever filed bankruptcy?

Not being snarky, just wondering if you ever filed bankruptcy?
Nope

In other financial news.....within the last few weeks, we just got news that real wages WENT DOWN 0.2% in (Q1 & Q2 of 2018) after the Trump/Republican corporate tax welfare bill in 2017. Remember, Republicans claimed the increase to the budget deficit to over $1 trillion would directly translate into better wages for average Americans. It hasn't.
How the Republican tax cuts are failing workers, in one chart

Incidentally, wages went UP in 2015 nearly 2.5% (remember...that was a time where Republicans claimed the economy was 'failing')?!

Yet another example of right wing duping the poorly informed..........

This should NOT surprise anyone because blank checks like what the GOP wrote in 2017 rarely result in sustainable growth. Why would it?

Last edited:

Painful as it is for me to acknowledge, your assertion that the Republicans are not the party of fiscal responsibility is true, and that is the main reason I dropped my affiliation to the GOP.

With regard to the 2008 economic melt down - the Dems fingerprints were all over that as well (remember Barney Frank). You can also add the Federal Reserve to the culpability list. Something that big usually has numerous origins.

subsidy to ENCOURAGE a needed commodity is not
COVERING A PERSON's FAILURE-------Kids need
milk and eggs (despite the squeals of some foodie nuts)

I understand that.....I also understand that not all 'bailouts' are created equal. When the country's economy is spiraling the toilet, I would expect the Federal Government would do what it can to stabilize it. Unfortunately, the usual levers the Fed could pull (in 2008) weren't available at the time which is why the Federal Government had to use other means.

Gramm/Leach/Bliley essentially deregulated banks and allowed them to lend multiple times on one asset. Prior to Glass/Steagall repeal (which was repealed with the GLB bill), there were rules set in place in how banks would lend and hold assets. That was largely wiped away with that bill and many experts agree that even though it wasn't the only reason for the crash...it was one of the largest contributors.

Gramm/Leach/Bliley essentially deregulated banks and allowed them to lend multiple times on one asset.

Can you explain this claim further?

Prior to Glass/Steagall repeal (which was repealed with the GLB bill), there were rules set in place in how banks would lend and hold assets.

Glass-Steagall didn't prevent banks from writing bad mortgages.

Forum List

Back