Who has pickled eggs?

My husband boils his eggs, peels them then sticks them in pickle juice. The stuff left over from a jar of dill pickles. He puts them in pickled beet juice too.

Thats what I was thinking...

When I read your post, I remembered my dad used to do that when I was a kid.

They were mmmmm mmmmmm good.

Mrs. Missourian wanted to try something sweeter, so we mixed up a new (to us) super simple recipe for sweet pickling brine:

IMAG0202.jpg

Sweet Pickled Eggs

By: Tracy Mulder
"Simple and easy to prepare. These will keep in the refrigerator for up to six months. Delicious with cold cuts, crusty bread and assorted cheeses."

Ingredients

• 12 eggs
  • 1 large onion, sliced into rings
  • 2 cups white wine vinegar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon pickling spice, wrapped in cheesecloth

Directions

1. Cover eggs with water in a large pot. Cover with lid. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil gently for 10 minutes. Drain. Run cold water over eggs until they are cold. Shell eggs.
  2. Prepare the brine in a sauce pan by combining the vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
  3. Layer the eggs (whole) and onion rings in a sterilized 2 quart jar to within 1 inch of the top.
  4. Add pickling spice to brine. Swirl bag around for 30 seconds. Remove bag. Pour brine over eggs to fill jar with 1/4 inch from top. Seal with a sterilized lid. Store in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks before serving. Serve chilled.
Sweet Pickled Eggs Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Now, I don't sterilize the jar, I just coat the entire inside with straight vinegar 20 minutes before I start adding eggs, as it will be stored under refrigeration throughout the pickling process until they are consumed.

I'll let 'cha know how they turn out.

My last batch of 18 eggs were supposed to pickle for 4 weeks...only two made it to that point. :eusa_shifty:

We have 2 dozen going this time, so at least 8 should last to the two week finish line...I hope.

Mrs. Missourian wanted to try something sweeter, so we mixed up a new (to us) super simple recipe for sweet pickling brine:

IMAG0202.jpg

Sweet Pickled Eggs

"Simple and easy to prepare. These will keep in the refrigerator for up to six months. Delicious with cold cuts, crusty bread and assorted cheeses."

Ingredients

• 12 eggs
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Cover eggs with water in a large pot. Cover with lid. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil gently for 10 minutes. Drain. Run cold water over eggs until they are cold. Shell eggs.
  2. Prepare the brine in a sauce pan by combining the vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
  3. Layer the eggs (whole) and onion rings in a sterilized 2 quart jar to within 1 inch of the top.
  4. Add pickling spice to brine. Swirl bag around for 30 seconds. Remove bag. Pour brine over eggs to fill jar with 1/4 inch from top. Seal with a sterilized lid. Store in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks before serving. Serve chilled.

Now, I don't sterilize the jar, I just coat the entire inside with straight vinegar 20 minutes before I start adding eggs, as it will be stored under refrigeration throughout the pickling process until they are consumed.

My last batch of 18 eggs were supposed to pickle for 4 weeks...only two made it to that point. :eusa_shifty:

We have 2 dozen going this time, so at least 8 should last to the two week finish line...I hope.

I made three batches of 18. Ive never done them before.....so it should be fun to see how they turn out.

I sterilize everything in the dishwasher and hold them there until i am ready to fill the jars.

I did not can them for storage ...but am doing them in the refrigerator. I saw in one youtube on them the trick of poking them through with a knife or a skewer to help facilitate the bring soaking into the center better.

Sweet Pickled Eggs

Ingredients

• 12 eggs
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

I made three batches of 18. Ive never done them before.....so it should be fun to see how they turn out.

I sterilize everything in the dishwasher and hold them there until i am ready to fill the jars.

I did not can them for storage ...but am doing them in the refrigerator. I saw in one youtube on them the trick of poking them through with a knife or a skewer to help facilitate the bring soaking into the center better.

I don't poke into the yolk, mostly because I am over cautious after I read this:

Foodborne Botulism From Eating Home-Pickled Eggs --- Illinois, 1997

BUT, this guy was storing his eggs @ room temperature.

As long as you store your pickle eggs @ less than 39 degrees, you should have no problems.

We have 2 dozen going this time, so at least 8 should last to the two week finish line...I hope.​

I don't poke into the yolk, mostly because I am over cautious after I read this:

As long as you store your pickle eggs @ less than 39 degrees, you should have no problems.​

Big jars of pickled eggs stay on the bartop all day everyday
:yum:​

We have 2 dozen going this time, so at least 8 should last to the two week finish line...I hope.​

As long as you store your pickle eggs @ less than 39 degrees, you should have no problems.​

ok... nix the piercing of the yolk. But i think it was the leaving it out on the counter for 7 days that did it.

As long as you store your pickle eggs @ less than 39 degrees, you should have no problems.

Big jars of pickled eggs stay on the bartop all day everyday
:yum:

I would like to pickle eggs for @ room temperature storage, but according to every source I have read, it's not safe.

Pickled Eggs

There are no home canning directions for pickled eggs. All of the following pickled egg recipes are for storage in the refrigerator. Pickled eggs should never be at room temperature except for serving time, when they should be limited to no more than 2 hours in the temperature danger zone of 40 to 140 degrees F.

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

But, folks stored pickled eggs in root cellars before there was home refrigeration...and like you said, you see them at the bar all the time...so there must be a way to do it safely.

Eat a half a dozen on Saturday night, along with a 24 pack.

Attend 9 a.m. Mass on Sunday.

You'll be the hit of the congregation!!

After we'd empty a big jar of Frank's Red Hots, my wife would boil some eggs, cool them overnight in the fridge, and put them in that brine the next day.
Never refrigerated the eggs afterwards.

Wait a couple weeks and bingo-bango......pickled eggs.

Cooking the egg is what kills the salmonella and botulism.
The acidity of the vinegar brine keeps them away.

So...when the recipe says to seal the lid, does it mean SEAL the lid, as if you're canning??? Because that means you put them in a water bath and actually SEAL the lids.

I think I'm going to have to make some pickled eggs.

So...when the recipe says to seal the lid, does it mean SEAL the lid, as if you're canning??? Because that means you put them in a water bath and actually SEAL the lids.

I think I'm going to have to make some pickled eggs.

I don't...I just screw the lid on.

dammit---now I want pickled eggs too---y'all are brutal.
and yes--I've seen em sit for days on a bar without going bad.

Forum List

Back