Who here agrees sports were more enjoyable in the 70s, 80s, 90s?

I live the life of a spoilt sports fan. I live near Pittsburgh and earned a degree from The Ohio State University. A potent combination for sports.

But I also remember the steroids era in baseball, the cocaine era in all sports, strike years, lockout years and canceled World's Series.

That being said, I watched Archie Griffin win two Heismans, the Steelers win six Superbowls, the Pirates win two World Series and the Penguins win four Stanley Cups.

The one sporting event that has slipped off the rails is the Olympic Games. I think it was much better without professional athletes.

Oh yeah back in the good old days when the Pirates had a chance to compete on the same level as other teams and won world series as a result,those days were great. :thup: Or look at the days back in the 80's and early 90's when the game had not been ruined so much because of free agency where players stayed with one them their whole careers.Because of that,like i said,you had small market teams like the padres for example who made it the world series against the Tigers in the 80's and again in the 90's against the Yankees.:thup:

sadly now because small market teams like them cant compete with big market teams like the yankees and dodgers anymore,as i said before,you will never see another Tony Gwynn come out of the padres and stick with the padres for his entire career anymore.

If we were still in the 70's and 80's,you would NEVER have seen Johnny Cuto drafted by the cincinatti reds leave.He for sure still be playing with the Reds right now as result.

If the NFL was like MLB baseball,NO WAY IN HELL could teams like the Steelers or Green Bay packers have a prayer of being competive year after year as they do.they would suffer losing season after losing season as well with no chance in hell of keeping an Aaron Rodgers or a Ben Rothlesberger for their entire careers.no way,no how,that cannnot be debated that they would be long gone years ago if the NFL did not have revenue sharing as baseball doesnt.
When the reserve clause ended my Pop said that from here on out, we're just rooting for the laundry. The players we loved would follow the money and all we would have left is the team logo.

Forum List

Back