Who is the most underrated NBA player in history? My 2 submissions.

In no particular order

1. Moses Malone
3 time NBA MVP
13 Time All star
4 time all NBA first team
6 time rebounding leader
1 NBA championship
1 NBA Finals MVP
11th all time scoring leader
Top Scoring Averages: 31.1, 27.8, 25.8, 24.8
Top Rebounding Averages: 15.3, 14.8, 14.7, 14.5
Career Playoff Average: 22.1ppg, 13.8rpg

2. Elgin Baylor
All NBA First team 10 times
Rookie of the year in 1958-59
11 time all star
Finished 2nd in MVP one year, 3rd in MVP 3 times

This guy doesn't have the "leads the league" stats (he played in the era of Wilt), but is a total beast. Look at his first 5 years in the league
1958-59: 24.9 ppg, 15 rpg, 4.3 apg
1959-60: 29.6 ppg, 16.4 rpg, 3.5 apg
1960-61: 34.8 ppg, 19.8 rpg, 5.1 apg
1961-62: 38.3 ppg, 18.6 rpg, 4.6 apg
1962-63: 34.0 ppg, 14.3 rpg, 4.6 apg

Throughout the 60's afterwards he had points per game scores of: 25.4, 27.1, 16.6, 26.6, 26.0, 24.8, and 24.0
Rebounds of: 12.0, 12.8, 9.6, 12.8, 12.2, 10.6, 10.4
Wilt....
Despite the fact that the occupies a spot at the top of the recognition list he was even better than what they recognize him for.

Without trying He's in the top 10 scores of all time. Had he chased that number It would be at a place where nobody would ever reach it.

Jo

Wilt....
Despite the fact that the occupies a spot at the top of the recognition list he was even better than what they recognize him for.

Without trying He's in the top 10 scores of all time. Had he chased that number It would be at a place where nobody would ever reach it.

Jo
You're saying Wilt would have scored over 40k points?

He would have had to average almost 7 more points a game every year of his career 82 games a year. I'm not sure that's really feasible. The last 7 years of his career he averaged under 30 points a game. Towards the end it was closer to under 20. James who is the current all time scoring leader already has over 40k points Im guessing he's over 45 by the time he retires. Which would increase that 7 number to closer to 10. He just didnt have the longevity to pull off 45k+ points.

You're saying Wilt would have scored over 40k points?

He would have had to average almost 7 more points a game every year of his career 82 games a year. I'm not sure that's really feasible. The last 7 years of his career he averaged under 30 points a game. Towards the end it was closer to under 20. James who is the current all time scoring leader already has over 40k points Im guessing he's over 45 by the time he retires. Which would increase that 7 number to closer to 10. He just didnt have the longevity to pull off 45k+ points.
Chamberlain once commented that if he chose to be could have doubled his average.....it would have made him a ball hog of course.

Chamberlain once commented that if he chose to be could have doubled his average.....it would have made him a ball hog of course.
He was going to average 100 a game? I’m calling shenanigans.

Wilt was fucking amazing, but to put the all time scoring record out of reach for James he would have had to score 47k probably. He played 1045 games. That means he would have had to average 45 points a game for his entire career. I just don’t think thats real.

1. He was the best player in the world for over a decade.
2. He has maintained his play at an exceedingly high level longer than anyone in NBA history. He's top 10 in the league in year 21.
3. The 2007 playoffs when he took a team full of no bodies to the NBA finals on his back.

6Shannon BrownSG6-4205November 29, 1985usRMichigan State
1Daniel GibsonPG6-2190February 27, 1986usRTexas
90Drew GoodenPF6-10250September 24, 1981us4Kansas
32Larry HughesSG6-5184January 23, 1979us8Saint Louis
11Zydrunas IlgauskasC7-3238June 5, 1975lt8
23LeBron JamesSF6-9250December 30, 1984us3
19Damon JonesPG6-3185August 25, 1976us8Houston
27Dwayne JonesPF6-11250June 9, 1983us1Saint Joseph's
24Donyell MarshallPF6-9218May 18, 1973us12UConn
14Ira NewbleSF6-7220January 20, 1975us6Miami University
3Sasha PavlovićSG6-8220November 15, 1983me3
31Scot PollardC6-11265February 12, 1975us9Kansas
20Eric SnowPG6-3190April 24, 1973us11Michigan State
17Anderson VarejãoC6-11273September 28, 1982br2
4David WesleySG6-0190November 14, 1970us13Baylor

That was the roster he took to the NBA finals. There isnt a single other great player on that roster. It's debatable any of them are starters on most NBA teams.

5. He can play every position on the floor at a high level, and has.
6. He's elevated every team he's been on and when he's left that team has fallen off a cliff.

02-03 Cleveland won 17 games, that total doubled James rookie year. They were in the NBA finals in 06-07. in 09-10 win 61 games lose in C Finals, 10-11 they win 19 games.

09-10 Miami is 3rd in their division loses in the 1st rd of the PO's.
10-11 1st in their division lose in the Finals.
Year after he leaves back to 3rd in the division.

Back to Cleveland. Year before he gets there they are sub .500 The next year they go to the finals for 4 straight years winning 1. Lebron leaves they win 19 games.

Same bascially happens in LA. Non contender to winning a Championship within 2 years.

You can say its the other guys on his team but James is the common denominator in it. Irving, Bosch, Love, Davis. Never did anything without LeBron. (Wade being the exception but Wade had Shaq for his other rings) Id argue the only other HOF'ers James has played with are Wade, Allen and Davis. Not sure Bosch or Love will make it. Irving might depending on how the rest of his career goes.

Shall I go on?
Jordan played 3 years in college. He was great two of those years. Won a national championship too. Do these three years not count for anything?

1. He was the best player in the world for over a decade.
2. He has maintained his play at an exceedingly high level longer than anyone in NBA history. He's top 10 in the league in year 21.
3. The 2007 playoffs when he took a team full of no bodies to the NBA finals on his back.

6Shannon BrownSG6-4205November 29, 1985usRMichigan State
1Daniel GibsonPG6-2190February 27, 1986usRTexas
90Drew GoodenPF6-10250September 24, 1981us4Kansas
32Larry HughesSG6-5184January 23, 1979us8Saint Louis
11Zydrunas IlgauskasC7-3238June 5, 1975lt8
23LeBron JamesSF6-9250December 30, 1984us3
19Damon JonesPG6-3185August 25, 1976us8Houston
27Dwayne JonesPF6-11250June 9, 1983us1Saint Joseph's
24Donyell MarshallPF6-9218May 18, 1973us12UConn
14Ira NewbleSF6-7220January 20, 1975us6Miami University
3Sasha PavlovićSG6-8220November 15, 1983me3
31Scot PollardC6-11265February 12, 1975us9Kansas
20Eric SnowPG6-3190April 24, 1973us11Michigan State
17Anderson VarejãoC6-11273September 28, 1982br2
4David WesleySG6-0190November 14, 1970us13Baylor

That was the roster he took to the NBA finals. There isnt a single other great player on that roster. It's debatable any of them are starters on most NBA teams.

5. He can play every position on the floor at a high level, and has.
6. He's elevated every team he's been on and when he's left that team has fallen off a cliff.

02-03 Cleveland won 17 games, that total doubled James rookie year. They were in the NBA finals in 06-07. in 09-10 win 61 games lose in C Finals, 10-11 they win 19 games.

09-10 Miami is 3rd in their division loses in the 1st rd of the PO's.
10-11 1st in their division lose in the Finals.
Year after he leaves back to 3rd in the division.

Back to Cleveland. Year before he gets there they are sub .500 The next year they go to the finals for 4 straight years winning 1. Lebron leaves they win 19 games.

Same bascially happens in LA. Non contender to winning a Championship within 2 years.

You can say its the other guys on his team but James is the common denominator in it. Irving, Bosch, Love, Davis. Never did anything without LeBron. (Wade being the exception but Wade had Shaq for his other rings) Id argue the only other HOF'ers James has played with are Wade, Allen and Davis. Not sure Bosch or Love will make it. Irving might depending on how the rest of his career goes.

Shall I go on?
Show me the eastern teams he beat to go to the finals. The East was weak.

Jordan played 3 years in college. He was great two of those years. Won a national championship too. Do these three years not count for anything?
So let’s walk through this.

You want to use Jordan‘s college career where most of the time he was playing against guys who would never make an NBA squad as some sort of comparison to what James was doing IN THE NBA?

How about no.

Wilt....

Jo
To everyone. I realize that on paper Lebron is the goat. I give you that. I’m just saying if he played Jordan, just like everyone else, Jordan would have beat Lebron too. Think of all the nba’s greatest to have never won a ring all played during Jordan’s era.

Steph curry has 4 rings. Reggie miller has none. Why? He played against Jordan.

Jocik and yianni have rings. Patrick Ewing does not.

You want to use Jordan‘s college career where most of the time he was playing against guys who would never make an NBA squad as some sort of comparison to what James was doing IN THE NBA?

How about no.
I’m just saying, throw out lebrons first three years.

How about no.
God I wish Jordan Lebron nba finals was possible. I’d put all my money on Jordan’s team because you just know Jordan wins in the finals. Lebron not so much. Mkay?

The East has been the worst for years probably going back decades! Those owners out West spend more money on players, keep them longer, & produce more dominant teams! The East has been a disgrace for at least 30+ years! I seem to recall while I was on a trip to Chicago after the Bulls break up and move to return to greatness! At the time the Bulls & the rest of the East were below .500 except 2 teams the 1st month or so of the season in 2002! This is what made it easy for The Bulls & Celtics to repeat & for the other teams to make the NBA Finals like Phili, Orlando, NYK, & Indy! They still lost, but were terribly outclassed by teams in the West! :nono: :meow::omg::dunno::stir:

Last edited:
The East has been the worst for years probably going back decades! Those owners out West spend more money on players, keep them longer, & produce more dominant teams! The East has been a disgrace for at least 30+ years! I seem to recall while I was on a trip to Chicago after the Bulls break up and move to return to greatness! At the time the Bulls & the rest of the East was below .500 except 2 teams the1st month or so of the season in 2002! This is what made it easy for The Bulls & Celtics to repeat & for the other teams to make the NBA Finals like Phili, Orlando, NYK, & Indy! They still lost, but were terribly outclassed by teams in the West! :nono: :meow::omg::dunno::stir:
I was so happy the three times the pistons won.

First time magic got hurt. 2004 we beat Kobe and shaq when they weren’t getting along but we were certaonly the underdogs. They had Malone and Gary Payton. A super team that didn’t work out. Then shaq went to Miami and they won.

The west has lots of good teams.

Boston is choking right now game two against miami no Jimmy butler? Denver is going to repeat

LOL. Goal posts moved. Noted.

4-0
Wizards
Gilbert Arenas and Antwan Jamison

4-2
Nets
Jason Kidd
Vince Carter
Richard Jefferson
Eddie House

4-2
Pistons
Chauncey Billips
Dale Davis
Richard Hamilton
Tayshawn Prince
Rasheed Wallace
Chris Webber

The East has been the worst for years probably going back decades! Those owners out West spend more money on players, keep them longer, & produce more dominant teams! The East has been a disgrace for at least 30+ years! I seem to recall while I was on a trip to Chicago after the Bulls break up and move to return to greatness! At the time the Bulls & the rest of the East were below .500 except 2 teams the 1st month or so of the season in 2002! This is what made it easy for The Bulls & Celtics to repeat & for the other teams to make the NBA Finals like Phili, Orlando, NYK, & Indy! They still lost, but were terribly outclassed by teams in the West! :nono: :meow::omg::dunno::stir:
The east has won 12 titles in tat time.

LOL. Goal posts moved. Noted.

4-0
Wizards
Gilbert Arenas and Antwan Jamison

4-2
Nets
Jason Kidd
Vince Carter
Richard Jefferson
Eddie House

4-2
Pistons
Chauncey Billips
Dale Davis
Richard Hamilton
Tayshawn Prince
Rasheed Wallace
Chris Webber
I’ll give you that nets team was good. How did Lebron get by them?

Chris Webber didn’t work out for the pistons. Do you remember we also added Allan iverson to the pistons? I was really hoping that would work out. It didn’t.

Wizards? Pahleez.

I sure would like to see a 30 for 30 on this. aLebron really has been so great for so long, I’ve probably forgotten a lot.

I have to admit I don’t want him to catch Jordan’s 6. So just like I rooted against Jordan back then, I root against Lebron now. Im sure back then I wouldn’t have said jordan was better than magic. He got 5

Why? Because he was good enough to play in the NBA at 18 and Jordan wasn’t? LMAO…..
We will give Lebron the check mark for early development. Natural ability. I mean, if you were going to build a basketball players body you’d build Lebron. But, you would put Jordan’s heart and mind in it.

We will give Lebron the check mark for early development. Natural ability. I mean, if you were going to build a basketball players body you’d build Lebron. But, you would put Jordan’s heart and mind in it.

Are you serious? Do you have any idea the discipline it takes to be that good that early? To be crowned as a HSer? To maintain that discipline into the NBA for 21 years, putting in the work, to be as excellent as he’s been? He’s never missed significant time. Never came into a season out of shape. Never had a scandal. The commitment?

Are you serious? Do you have any idea the discipline it takes to be that good that early? To be crowned as a HSer? To maintain that discipline into the NBA for 21 years, putting in the work, to be as excellent as he’s been? He’s never missed significant time. Never came into a season out of shape. Never had a scandal. The commitment?
It took no discipline. Same with Tom Brady. There is no reason why the two have been so great for so long. Part luck part built right and part proper training. Yes, I believe Lebron works out. Probably always has but even more important now at his age.

Dont worry, lebron is probably the consensus goat if you asked everyone now.

But people who know, know Jordan would have owned Lebron. Like he did Karl Malone

The east has won 12 titles in tat time.

The weakness is not w/ how few Championships won by the East, but the overall level of their conference which has been poor! How many times do obscure teams get sent to the East Chp. game in the playoffs while the West get fat beating them! So many of the teams have over 50 wins! The East have won plenty of NBA Chp. but some teams haven't gotten a sniff of the Final while the West beat up on each other! We may never see 2 "3-peats" like the Bulls since teams won't stay together! I'm still SMH over that fk'n ego-maniac Kevin Durant who couldn't bear sharing the credit w/ Curry in Golden State! It wasn't "his" team so he walks away to create his own TRIO in Brooklyn who were so mentally deficient, they couldn't get out of their own way! It's happening more and more! Actually winning is low on the list/totem-pole to some who leave winning teams for money & more ego-stroking! Durant has floundered ever since! The latest on the list being Tyreek Hill leaving KC for Miami! What an idiot! He's lost out on 2 Super Bowls! :meow: :omg::dunno:

Forum List

Back