Who liked the old US military woodland camo?

Doesn't matter what color they paint them, you can still tell it's a VEHICLE!!!

"Hey Sarge, that bush over there has mag wheels and white letter tires"!!!

When I was in the US army.
Vietnam Tiger Stripe camo was the cat's meow.
Still my favorite pattern today. ... :thup:

1649650037651.png

Last edited:

"As the US Army began the transition to CARC paint, it also began the changeover to the NATO 3-color camouflage. This new paint scheme was to be used by all the NATO ground forces and consisted of a base green (Federal Standard--'FS'--# 34094) a brown (FS# 30051) and black disruptive bands (FS# 37030). Army Regulation ('AR') 750-1 states that any tactical vehicle with more than nine square feet of area on any side will be painted in the three-color pattern. If no approved pattern was available the base green was to be applied until an officially approved pattern became available.

APPLICATION of CARC​

The adoption of CARC ended the days when units and crews were responsible for applying the camouflage pattern to their vehicles upon issue. Vehicles that had 3 color patterns approved for them rolled off the assembly lines with camouflage paint already applied.

Prior to the 1991 Gulf War, most everything came off the assembly line painted in the NATO colors, During Desert Shield and Desert Storm production was rapidly switched over to tan.

After the war, the intended mission determined how a vehicle was painted, purchase contracts spelled out what percentage of production or what vehicle variants would be painted tan and what would be painted in the 3-color pattern. TM 43-0139 gave four methods for applying the camouflage pattern to a piece of equipment; they were listed in order of preference and accuracy."

I counted many regulations, and as the author notes, even the Army can't keep up with them all and standardize at unit level; I see a mix on most bases.

Forum List

Back