🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Who's English is the best here?

"Y'all" should not be used in the singular. It would make no sense.
Y'all IS singular !!!

Do you know what the plural for y'all is ???

Y'all is a plural pronoun, by definition. Were it not so it could not include the word all. The singular second person would be you --- which used to be the formal, against thou as the singular second person familiar.
Dammit Beavis !!

How many times do I need to beat this into you ??

"Y'all" is singular OR plural but there is a more PLURAL form.

Obviously you have never been to Dallas or Houston, you Yankee pogue.

I don't think you've ever been to the South at all. Had you ever been here you couldn't post something this degree of ignorant.

What does the word "all" mean? Hm?

To the OP --- YoHereAreSomeChipsAhoy had disqualified himself. Apparently he knows as much about English as he does about Oregon.
All means one or more, you Yankee pogue.

It looks like nobody knows the plural of "y'all."

I'll give this a few days to see if any true Texan's knows.

See what you started Comrade Johnson ?!

All these Yankee pogues think they know grammar/syntax.

All they truly know is their own Yankee English (New England-ish).

Once again --- as already posted --- if you mean "multiple instances of the word y'all" ... as in "how many y'alls are on this page".... then that's it: y'alls. Already asked, already answered.

If you mean 'what is the plural of a plural' ---- there's no such thing.

"What is the plural of clouds?"

Once again --- as already posted --- if you mean "multiple instances of the word y'all" ... as in "how many y'alls are on this page".... then that's it: y'alls. Already asked, already answered.

You really need to visit Dallas or Houston, enjoy some Cajun food, like crawdads and gumbo, keep your ears peeled, and then come back to the East Coast wiser Pogo .

:D

Once again, I'm bilatitudinal. Part nurtured in the North, part in the deep South, from earliest childhood. Have also lived in New England, Appalachia and California, and abroad. Enough to know "the South" is not a single accent and New England is not the same as "North". You're way outta your league here.

You really need to visit Dallas or Houston, enjoy some Cajun food, like crawdads and gumbo, keep your ears peeled, and then come back to the East Coast wiser Pogo .

Oh thanks that reminds me --- I lived in Sleaziana too. Already been to Dullass, already been to Houston, and some 65 other cities just in the course of work alone. And I might add, those travels having already gone down, no there's no reason to go back. Or in your language ---- "Oregon".

And no, I do not need to "peel" my ears. They came that way. I make my entire living from sound, and I have auralgraphic memory.

I'll wait to see if the Texans chime in before I give the answer.

Obviously anyone not knowing the plural of "y'all" is from the East Coast -- and practically a Communist.

Oh thanks that reminds me --- I lived in Sleaziana too. Already been to Dullass, already been to Houston, and some 65 other cities just in the course of work alone.
Damn Boy, then you don't listen too good, do ya' punk ?!

Once again, I'm bilatitudinal. Part nurtured in the North, part in the deep South, from earliest childhood. Have also lived in New England, Appalachia and California, and abroad. Enough to know "the South" is not a single accent and New England is not the same as "North". You're way outta your league here.
You're a damn Yankee and it is written all over your breath.

I will throw my proverbial hat into the ring. In addition to my discerning perception, impeccable good taste, and extensive vocabulary, I am quite adept at spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Excellent use of the Oxford comma.
I also normally put a comma before the final conjunctive "and", "or", etc.

Doing so might save you millions of dollars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/us/oxford-comma-lawsuit.html?_r=0

You just don't include the fact that someone could use y'all to point just you and your demons in that or you and your com-padres.

Interesting but grammatically atrocious inflection there son of God.
Very good !!

Your Greek is not bad !!

You are the first moron on this Forum who has noticed this correctly !!
I am Half-Greek and no moron. I am easily one of the most literate, if not the most literate poster on this forum. I can run circles around you in at least three languages, obviously including English.

Note to Comrade Johnson --

"American English" as such suffers from various regional dialects.

There are the following (dialects) --

- Yankee New England-ish

- Bostonian

- Mid-Atlantic Philadelphian

- Southern Coastal

- Deep South

- Midwestern Chicagoan

- Intermountain

- Canadian - West Coast - Los Angelian

- Pidgin Asian-English (sub-Californian)

Formal journalistic/professional American English is probably not spoken anywhere, although if I had to give it a location I would say the Univ. of Md. only.

Forum List

Back