🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Who's English is the best here?

It's funny how British English is all fokked up just like their teeth.

The don't follow the Latin rules of subject/verb agreement very well if hardly ever.

Their spelling is more French than the rest of the English Speaking World.

And their pronunciation is more Irish than English.

Good to know.

Not relevant to the O/P's topic however.

Just good to know.

Why would a Germanic language be following Latin rules then, hm?

And why would a Germanic language that's been layered over with French from the Norman daze never show the effects thereof ----- such as pluralizing with -s rather than the old -en --- e.g. y'alls rather than y'allen?

Hm?

I'm sure this is over your head at this point.
German grammar follows Latin grammar which follows Greek grammar.

The Catholic Church probably had the most to do with formulating German grammar during the Holy Roman Empire period, which was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

What is your next impertinent question ?!

Excellent use of the Oxford comma.
I also normally put a comma before the final conjunctive "and", "or", etc.

Doing so might save you millions of dollars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/us/oxford-comma-lawsuit.html?_r=0

Let's eat Grandma!
That sounds a bit like an Arkansian to me.

It sounds a little more Papua New Guinean to me.

In Arkansas, it would be: "Let's eat sister!"
Yup that is "deep South".

I will throw my proverbial hat into the ring. In addition to my discerning perception, impeccable good taste, and extensive vocabulary, I am quite adept at spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

I'll nominate xotoxi then, since nobody is supposed to nominate themselves in a pure parliamentarian Robert's Rules Of Order process.

And I will withdraw my own volunteering and move to strike Pogo the Yankee pogue and Meathead the [EDIT:] Yankee scumbag as well from the record.

:D

Last edited:
It's funny how British English is all fokked up just like their teeth.

The don't follow the Latin rules of subject/verb agreement very well if hardly ever.

Their spelling is more French than the rest of the English Speaking World.

And their pronunciation is more Irish than English.

Good to know.

Not relevant to the O/P's topic however.

Just good to know.

Why would a Germanic language be following Latin rules then, hm?

And why would a Germanic language that's been layered over with French from the Norman daze never show the effects thereof ----- such as pluralizing with -s rather than the old -en --- e.g. y'alls rather than y'allen?

Hm?

I'm sure this is over your head at this point.
German grammar follows Latin grammar which follows Greek grammar.

The Catholic Church probably had the most to do with formulating German grammar during the Holy Roman Empire period, which was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

What is your next impertinent question ?!

Same as posted above, focus-challenged one. Why would a Germanic language be following Latin structures? No, German grammar does not "follow Latin grammar" at all. I see your experience with German is right up there with that of Oregon.

:dig:

I will throw my proverbial hat into the ring. In addition to my discerning perception, impeccable good taste, and extensive vocabulary, I am quite adept at spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

I'll nominate xotoxi then, since nobody is supposed to nominate themselves in a pure parliamentarian Robert's Rules Of Order process.

And I will withdraw my own volunteering and move to strike Pogo the Yankee pogue and Meathead the Czech scumbag as well from the record.

The Czech's do have a damn good gun industry however, second to none.

I own one of their CZ 97B 45ACP's and take with me everywhere I go -- even sleep with it.

Meathead is actually from the same place I am. He just took the trouble to learn (an)other language(s), as I did.

And before either of us did that, we took the trouble to learn English. Start there.

Comrade Johnson some of the insults being batted around this/your thread are among the most erudite I have seen anywhere.

Let us know if you have any questions about insulting others at the post graduate English level.

If you wanted to talk about forms of government however, by starting with "democracy" you are confusing us with the ancient Greeks.

Ancient Athens was a democracy.

The USA is a "democratic republic":

Democratic republic - Wikipedia
A Republic Is a Foster Government

A democratic republic is a contradiction in terms. It is nothing but an oligarchy chosen by the hereditary ruling class. By the way, media Diploma Dumbos have infected us with the incorrect use of oxymoron by trying to make it mean "contradiction in terms." Its truly educated meaning is exactly the opposite, such as "boneless ribs, plastic glasses, and Kansas City, Missouri."

Sure, sure, but I'd like several guys (and maybe some ladies) to copy so that I wouldn't sound like you completely :)

Add some y'alls to your speech if you want real American and not that snooty yankee english stuff.
I actually put this onto a test for college students as a bonus question.

Only one girl from Dallas got the right answer:

"What is the plural of y'all?"
y'all lolll

He's correct though. Other than y'all we do not have a word to express the second person plural that makes it clear it's a plural and not a singular. Youse (pronounced "yuz") just sounds stoopit. That's why I use it here --- it's more specifically plural than the ambiguous you.

But the plural of y'all, i.e. "multiple instances of the word y'all" would have to be y'alls. A more challenging question might have been the plural possessive, i.e. "that which belongs to you-plural". If you go with y'all's then you have two apostrophes, one a contraction, the other a possessive. And that's messy.

I learned a contraction here in Appalachia for the first person possessive demonstrative pronoun -- your'n (your + one). Standard English of course has yours to express this but as it turns out your'n is older.
Your'n is Irish.

In America, "you all" means "you" (plural or singular), and "all" (plural or singular). Both are correct.

to see if any true Texan's knows.
Edit, Idiot!

An apostrophe catastrophe for the plural, followed by a singular verb.

That's prolly Pogo's primary pet peeve: apostrophe abuse. Most rampant scourge in contemporary written English, at least in this country.

As far as Texas grammar though --- I can never forget the highway sign I read driving between Dallas and San Antonio that read, and I quote:

SPEED
FINES
DOBLES

It looks like nobody knows the plural of "y'all."

I'll give this a few days to see if any true Texan's knows.
"Functionally, the emergence of y'all can be traced to the merging of singular and plural second-person pronouns in Early Modern English.[4] Y'all thus fills in the gap created by the absence of a separate second-person plural pronoun in standard modern English. Y'all is unique in that the stressed form that it contracts (you-all) is converted to an unstressed form.[9]

"The usage of y'all can satisfy several grammatical functions, including an associative plural, a collective pronoun, an institutional pronoun, and an indefinite pronoun.[5][10]

"Y'all serves as a "tone-setting device to express familiarity and solidarity."[11] When used in the singular, y'all can be used to convey a feeling of warmth towards the addressee.[12] In this way, singular usage of y'all differs from French, Russian or German, where plural forms can be used for formal singular instances.[12]"

Even wiki is better versed than y'all.

Y'all - Wikipedia

Once again --- as already posted --- if you mean "multiple instances of the word y'all" ... as in "how many y'alls are on this page".... then that's it: y'alls. Already asked, already answered.

If you mean 'what is the plural of a plural' ---- there's no such thing.

"What is the plural of clouds?"
You really need to visit Dallas or Houston, enjoy some Cajun food, like crawdads and gumbo, keep your ears peeled, and then come back to the East Coast wiser Pogo .

It doesn't appear to have done y'all much good.

Just sayin.

Add some y'alls to your speech if you want real American and not that snooty yankee english stuff.

y'all lolll

He's correct though. Other than y'all we do not have a word to express the second person plural that makes it clear it's a plural and not a singular. Youse (pronounced "yuz") just sounds stoopit. That's why I use it here --- it's more specifically plural than the ambiguous you.

But the plural of y'all, i.e. "multiple instances of the word y'all" would have to be y'alls. A more challenging question might have been the plural possessive, i.e. "that which belongs to you-plural". If you go with y'all's then you have two apostrophes, one a contraction, the other a possessive. And that's messy.

I learned a contraction here in Appalachia for the first person possessive demonstrative pronoun -- your'n (your + one). Standard English of course has yours to express this but as it turns out your'n is older.
Your'n is Irish.

In America, "you all" means "you" (plural or singular), and "all" (plural or singular). Both are correct.

All is never a singular. It would be impossible to refer to a single person, and only intend the statement to apply to 43% of that person. A person is a person, period. The insertion of "all" means by definition "you and everyone associated", ergo plural. Again --- period.

"You all" is just a clumsy deconstruction of y'all. And a dead giveaway that the speaker is a poseur.

to see if any true Texan's knows.
Edit, Idiot!

An apostrophe catastrophe for the plural, followed by a singular verb.

That's prolly Pogo's primary pet peeve: apostrophe abuse. Most rampant scourge in contemporary written English, at least in this country.

As far as Texas grammar though --- I can never forget the highway sign I read driving between Dallas and San Antonio that read, and I quote:

SPEED
FINES
DOBLES

Ah yes. We had a shooting range with a conspicuously placed sign that said "Umatilla County Sherriff's Dept."

y'all lolll

Your'n is Irish.

All is never a singular. It would be impossible to refer to a single person, and only intend the statement to apply to 43% of that person. A person is a person, period. The insertion of "all" means by definition "you and everyone associated", ergo plural. Again --- period.

"You all" is just a clumsy deconstruction of y'all. And a dead giveaway that the speaker is a poseur.
Pogo your math and Philosophy really suck too, not just your Yankee grammar/syntax.

And you are not very observant if you spent all that time in Texas and you STILL DID NOT LEARN the plural of "y'all" !!!

"Functionally, the emergence of y'all can be traced to the merging of singular and plural second-person pronouns in Early Modern English.[4] Y'all thus fills in the gap created by the absence of a separate second-person plural pronoun in standard modern English. Y'all is unique in that the stressed form that it contracts (you-all) is converted to an unstressed form.[9]

"The usage of y'all can satisfy several grammatical functions, including an associative plural, a collective pronoun, an institutional pronoun, and an indefinite pronoun.[5][10]

"Y'all serves as a "tone-setting device to express familiarity and solidarity."[11] When used in the singular, y'all can be used to convey a feeling of warmth towards the addressee.[12] In this way, singular usage of y'all differs from French, Russian or German, where plural forms can be used for formal singular instances.[12]"

Even wiki is better versed than y'all.

Y'all - Wikipedia
Dammit koshergrl the ANSWER is IN THERE and you are giving it away !!!

STFU.

y'all lolll

Your'n is Irish.

Only in the South.

And I will withdraw my own volunteering and move to strike Pogo the Yankee pogue and Meathead the Czech scumbag as well from the record.

The Czech's do have a damn good gun industry however, second to none.

I own one of their CZ 97B 45ACP's and take with me everywhere I go -- even sleep with it.

Meathead is actually from the same place I am. He just took the trouble to learn (an)other language(s), as I did.

And before either of us did that, we took the trouble to learn English. Start there.
TWO Yankee scum bags then ... thank you for 'fessing up.

y'all lolll

Your'n is Irish.

Only in the South.
It seems to be catching on everywhere though.

Pro'lly not in Boston though.

Forum List

Back