🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Who's English is the best here?

It's funny how British English is all fokked up just like their teeth.

The don't follow the Latin rules of subject/verb agreement very well if hardly ever.

Their spelling is more French than the rest of the English Speaking World.

And their pronunciation is more Irish than English.

Good to know.

Not relevant to the O/P's topic however.

Just good to know.

Why would a Germanic language be following Latin rules then, hm?

And why would a Germanic language that's been layered over with French from the Norman daze never show the effects thereof ----- such as pluralizing with -s rather than the old -en --- e.g. y'alls rather than y'allen?

Hm?

I'm sure this is over your head at this point.
German grammar follows Latin grammar which follows Greek grammar.

The Catholic Church probably had the most to do with formulating German grammar during the Holy Roman Empire period, which was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

What is your next impertinent question ?!

Same as posted above, focus-challenged one. Why would a Germanic language be following Latin structures? No, German grammar does not "follow Latin grammar" at all. I see your experience with German is right up there with that of Oregon.

:dig:
Your history really sucks too Pogo .

You are digging yourself into a deeper hole with every breath Pogo .

Note to Comrade Johnson -- you better not trust this Yankee azzhole.

A Yankee for us is what you Comrade Johnson would probably call a Lithuanian.

I will throw my proverbial hat into the ring. In addition to my discerning perception, impeccable good taste, and extensive vocabulary, I am quite adept at spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Excellent use of the Oxford comma.
I'll nominate xotoxi then, since nobody is supposed to nominate themselves in a pure parliamentarian Robert's Rules Of Order process.

And I will withdraw my own volunteering and move to strike Pogo the Yankee pogue and Meathead the Czech scumbag as well from the record.

The Czech's do have a damn good gun industry however, second to none.

I own one of their CZ 97B 45ACP's and take with me everywhere I go -- even sleep with it.

:D

Meathead is actually from the same place I am. He just took the trouble to learn (an)other language(s), as I did.

And before either of us did that, we took the trouble to learn English. Start there.
TWO Yankee scum bags then ... thank you for 'fessing up.

I don't know what his life experience is outside the mid-Atlantic but mine started, at the latest, at the age of seven months on the first of hundreds of ventures to Mississippi. That particular one to pay last respects to my dying grandfather. At the time the President of the United States was Harry Truman. So ---- that long.

The don't follow the Latin rules of subject/verb agreement very well if hardly ever.

Good to know.

Just good to know.

And why would a Germanic language that's been layered over with French from the Norman daze never show the effects thereof ----- such as pluralizing with -s rather than the old -en --- e.g. y'alls rather than y'allen?

Hm?

The Catholic Church probably had the most to do with formulating German grammar during the Holy Roman Empire period, which was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

Same as posted above, focus-challenged one. Why would a Germanic language be following Latin structures? No, German grammar does not "follow Latin grammar" at all. I see your experience with German is right up there with that of Oregon.

So you can't answer. Quelle surprise.

Interesting language, Lithuanian. Supposedly it has preserved our parent Indo-European particularly well. I had a Lithuanian girlfriend; she would proudly note that Lithuania was the last culture to fall to Christianist takeover.

That's a very difficult question to answer, for so much of the discussion on USMB depends upon (1) one's awareness of the topic one opts to discuss, (2) the clarity and coherence of one's thinking about the topic, (3) one's willingness to fully express one's thoughts, and (4) one's command of English in expressing one's ideas. One's command of English can appear inept as a result of gaps and flaws related to the former three factors. In light of all four factors, though it's possible to discern when a writer has specific lapses in their command of standard English grammar, syntax and usage, it's not nearly as easy to reliably gauge whose English is the best.

More importantly, however, what is the point of determining/discussing whose English is best? There is no competition for that "title." The person who "owns" that superlative won't care because they already know their English is excellent. The people who have subpar English skills won't care because they likely aren't soliciting lessons, and were they, the conventions of "perfect" English composition and usage are there for the taking on myriad Internet sites.

Thus, even if we were to arrive at a consensus on who among us does have the best English, then what? What is there to do with that knowledge/agreement? Indeed, I'm amazed this thread topic has garnered some 125+ posts that are presumably on-topic.

Last edited:
I will throw my proverbial hat into the ring. In addition to my discerning perception, impeccable good taste, and extensive vocabulary, I am quite adept at spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

I'll nominate xotoxi then, since nobody is supposed to nominate themselves in a pure parliamentarian Robert's Rules Of Order process.

And I will withdraw my own volunteering and move to strike Pogo the Yankee pogue and Meathead the Czech scumbag as well from the record.

I own one of their CZ 97B 45ACP's and take with me everywhere I go -- even sleep with it.

Meathead is actually from the same place I am. He just took the trouble to learn (an)other language(s), as I did.

And before either of us did that, we took the trouble to learn English. Start there.

I don't know what his life experience is outside the mid-Atlantic but mine started, at the latest, at the age of seven months on the first of hundreds of ventures to Mississippi. That particular one to pay last respects to my dying grandfather. At the time the President of the United States was Harry Truman. So ---- that long.
I don't care about your dirty diapers Pogo .

You have already proved by yourself that you don't know jack apple sh!t about American English, grammar, syntax, history, Latin, Greek, French, math, or Philosophy.

I have therefore un-nominated your self nomination of yourself for Comrade Johnson 's purposes.

That's a very difficult question to answer, for so much of the discussion on USMB depends as much upon (1) one's awareness of the topic one opts to discuss, (2) the clarity and coherence of one's thinking about the topic, (3) one's willingness to fully express one's thoughts, and (4) one's command of English in expressing one's ideas. One's command of English can appear inept as a result of gaps and flaws related to the former three factors. In light of all four factors, though it's possible to discern when a writer has specific lapses in their command of standard English grammar, syntax and usage, it's not nearly as easy to reliably gauge whose English is the best.

More importantly, however, what is the point of determining/discussing whose English is best? There is no competition for that "title." The person who "owns" that superlative won't care because they already know their English is excellent. The people who have subpar English skills won't care because they likely aren't soliciting lessons, and were they, the conventions of "perfect" English composition and usage are there for the taking on myriad Internet sites.

Thus, even if we were to arrive at a consensus on who among us does have the best English, then what? What is there to do with that knowledge/agreement? Indeed, I'm amazed this thread topic has garnered some 125+ posts that are presumably on-topic.
The key word being "presumably" !!!

You have already proved by yourself that you don't know jack apple sh!t about American English, grammar, syntax, history, Latin, Greek, French, math, or Philosophy.

I have therefore un-nominated your self nomination of yourself for Comrade Johnson 's purposes.

I don't give a flying fuck what you purport to "un-nominate". You can't even handle a simple apostrophe -- let alone navigate the word y'all.

I don't give a flying fuck what you purport to "un-nominate". You can't even handle a simple apostrophe.
Potty mouth! Potty mouth!

That's a very difficult question to answer, for so much of the discussion on USMB depends as much upon (1) one's awareness of the topic one opts to discuss, (2) the clarity and coherence of one's thinking about the topic, (3) one's willingness to fully express one's thoughts, and (4) one's command of English in expressing one's ideas. One's command of English can appear inept as a result of gaps and flaws related to the former three factors. In light of all four factors, though it's possible to discern when a writer has specific lapses in their command of standard English grammar, syntax and usage, it's not nearly as easy to reliably gauge whose English is the best.

Simplicity is not an easy task for the overly educated tribe.

Good to know.

Just good to know.

Hm?

Interesting language, Lithuanian. Supposedly it has preserved our parent Indo-European particularly well. I had a Lithuanian girlfriend; she would proudly note that Lithuania was the last culture to fall to Christianist takeover.
I am going to switch over to WV white trash English now so that you understand me better this time Pogo :

You don't read too good do ya' boy?

I already answered your question about how Latin influenced German.

It was due to the Catholic Popes.

Go back and read it again and this time wipe the dog sh!t out of your eyes first.

overly educated

Now there's a fine example of an oxymoron.

Hm?

I am going to switch over to WV white trash English now so that you understand me better this time Pogo :

You don't read too good do ya' boy?

I already answered your question about how Latin influenced German.

It was due to the Catholic Popes.

Go back and read it again and this time wipe the dog sh!t out of your eyes first.
Their should be an ouch button for that post.

This truth which you have spoken/typed is most often noticed with excessive comma's.

We call that kind of writer a comma-kazi. Rhymes with the Japanese word for "Divine Wind".

overly educated

Now there's a fine example of an oxymoron.
I could have said the excessively instead of overly but the later count took up less space to keep the diatribe down.

Forum List

Back