Why a new jaguar sighting near the Arizona-Mexico border gives experts hope

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Jaguars once roamed throughout much of Arizona and New Mexico, even as far north as the Grand Canyon. But throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, hunters exterminated the U.S. population of North America’s only big cat.

But with a breeding population in adjacent Sonora, Mexico, that numbers up to 200, cats from their ranks are increasingly wandering north into Arizona. At least seven male jaguars have been seen in the southern part of the state in the last 25 years—including one that resides in southeastern Arizona—and another handful have been spotted in Mexico close to the border over the same period.

Now researchers have captured videos of a new jaguar on a ranch in Sonora, a couple miles south of the spot where Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico intersect—and where border wall construction ceased only two months ago.

It's actually a pretty interesting article IF you can move past the blah, blah, blah border wall.

Jaguars once roamed throughout much of Arizona and New Mexico, even as far north as the Grand Canyon. But throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, hunters exterminated the U.S. population of North America’s only big cat.

But with a breeding population in adjacent Sonora, Mexico, that numbers up to 200, cats from their ranks are increasingly wandering north into Arizona. At least seven male jaguars have been seen in the southern part of the state in the last 25 years—including one that resides in southeastern Arizona—and another handful have been spotted in Mexico close to the border over the same period.

Now researchers have captured videos of a new jaguar on a ranch in Sonora, a couple miles south of the spot where Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico intersect—and where border wall construction ceased only two months ago.

It's actually a pretty interesting article IF you can move past the blah, blah, blah border wall.
How big are they?

Actually the blah blah blah border wall is very relevant to migratory patterns of ground creatures....and apparently a few flying ones that can't get much altitude apparently. I am all for reasonable walls but taking these things into account is part of my "reasonable"

How big are they?

I don't know. Their size varies from region to region.

Actually the blah blah blah border wall is very relevant to migratory patterns of ground creatures....and apparently a few flying ones that can't get much altitude apparently. I am all for reasonable walls but taking these things into account is part of my "reasonable"
Actually, you could move around that by re introducing them back into AZ.

How big are they?
Google: Top 10 facts about Jaguars
Cats and dogs as well as other carnivores such as wolverines in the wild generally do not hunt human beings -- they tend to avoid human flesh much as Jews avoid pork. Carnivores and omnivores as a rule only eat the flesh of herbivorous game animals, such as rabbits, hares, and even or odd-toed hoofed animals. If they are starving or if humans are directly threatening their habitat that is one thing, but cats are quiet and sneaky, and there are undoubtedly many, many more of them in the desert and in the woods than most people would believe.

The one time I was approached by a large cat (a lynx) in the wild, a mother with her kitten, she behaved like a housecat toward me, very affectionate and motherly.

Humans who hunt wild game for food prefer the meat of even-toed or cloven-footed herbivorous ungulates such as deer, elk, caribou, bison, moose, etc., which are all technically of the same order as common oxen or beef cattle.

That being said, the pelt or hide of a large cat -- salted before being tanned -- is especially valuable to poachers as well as law-abiding hunters, but the meat of carnivores is generally not fit for human consumption.

How big are they?
Google: Top 10 facts about Jaguars
Cats and dogs as well as other carnivores such as wolverines in the wild generally do not hunt human beings -- they tend to avoid human flesh much as Jews avoid pork. Carnivores and omnivores as a rule only eat the flesh of herbivorous game animals, such as rabbits, hares, and even or odd-toed hoofed animals. If they are starving or if humans are directly threatening their habitat that is one thing, but cats are quiet and sneaky, and there are undoubtedly many, many more of them in the desert and in the woods than most people would believe.

The one time I was approached by a large cat (a lynx) in the wild, a mother with her kitten, she behaved like a housecat toward me, very affectionate and motherly.

Humans who hunt wild game for food prefer the meat of even-toed or cloven-footed herbivorous ungulates such as deer, elk, caribou, bison, moose, etc., which are all technically of the same order as common oxen or beef cattle.

That being said, the pelt or hide of a large cat -- salted before being tanned -- is especially valuable to poachers as well as law-abiding hunters, but the meat of carnivores is generally not fit for human consumption.
Thx! Largest almost 6 ft long (not including the tail) and weighing up to 265 pounds. That's big.

road-sign-panther-jaguar-crossing-mexico-road-sign-panther-jaguar-crossing-riviera-maya-mayan-...jpg

I didn't know Nat Geo had a paywall.

You're really into disrupting the native "food chain" a bit here. I'm all for preserving habitat, but Jaguars EAT A LOT and re-introducing them on purpose 100 years after they were native is a pretty disruptive move..

In Cali, their efforts to preserve mountain lions in the Coastal Range was thwarted when residents could not let their children play outside anymore. Sometimes, the habitat "disappears" and is no longer amendable to risky "top predators".. Within 2 years of the edict -- they were conscripting hunters to reduce the population back again.

That's WHY conservation is a PRE-EMPTIVE thing. It doesn't work "retroactively" very well. Unless you want to move that suburban creep and farming out of the way...

You're really into disrupting the native "food chain" a bit here. I'm all for preserving habitat, but Jaguars EAT A LOT and re-introducing them on purpose 100 years after they were native is a pretty disruptive move..
There are thousands of invaders out there. That's some fat jaguars.

In Cali, their efforts to preserve mountain lions in the Coastal Range was thwarted when residents could not let their children play outside anymore. Sometimes, the habitat "disappears" and is no longer amendable to risky "top predators".. Within 2 years of the edict -- they were conscripting hunters to reduce the population back again.

That's WHY conservation is a PRE-EMPTIVE thing. It doesn't work "retroactively" very well. Unless you want to move that suburban creep and farming out of the way...

1616817639934.png

That's the reason large federal reserves were made.

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

:)

View attachment 472902

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

It's also the reason that The Nature Conservancy is my favorite conservation group.. They BUY and CONVINCE landowners to cooperate. Rather than spending their wads of cash on lawyers and giving away stuffed teddy bears..

A dollar to them can buy what 1000s of Federal dollar cant. Smart management and planning,

<end advertisement>

View attachment 472902

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

It's also the reason that The Nature Conservancy is my favorite conservation group.. They BUY and CONVINCE landowners to cooperate. Rather than spending their wads of cash on lawyers and giving away stuffed teddy bears..

A dollar to them can buy what 1000s of Federal dollar cant. Smart management and planning,

<end advertisement>

1616819257929.png

I'll look into that if the book I'm working on is published. Another six to nine months and I'll send it to a publishing company for their review. Finishing up the last forty pages out of nearly four hundred now then I have two read throughs to revise and add. A friend of mine suggested if I didn't start writing it I'd never get it done. So he and my wife have been reading it as I go. They say it's the best Sci-Fi they've seen in a while.

Wish me luck.

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:

Forum List

Back