"Why are atheists so toxic"

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
I see this question asked by religious folk frequently. I do disagree with some of the harsher anti-religious sentiments, at least as far as tone is concerned, but I understand exactly where those attitudes come from. Christians (speaking from the USA) have a harder time seeing the hold their religion has on our society and the actual harm it can do. When they are faced with the topic of crimes and abuses committed by other Christians, I commonly hear that the perpetrators were not "true Christians."

What is a true Christian? If a person, even if they are a criminal or an abuser (or, heck, just a run-of-the-mill wacko), professes belief in Jesus as the son of God and the savior of humanity, and accepts the Bible, then are they not a Christian? When asked how to become a Christian, is that not exactly what one is told? "To accept Jesus Christ in your heart, as your Lord, and Saviour"? The same people who are quick to point out that others are not true Christians are, more often than not, just as quick to point out the beliefs of other wrongdoers - Muslims and so-called "Satanists," for example. All people are capable of committing crimes, regardless of belief, but those who commit them in the name of their religion should not be ignored or brushed off as "not true believers." Just as it provides light and hope to some, there is a dark side to religion that people should acknowledge, too.

So back to the question of why atheists are so "toxic." Some among us have been hurt and abused by religion and religious people. Many see the religious attempting, at the expense of other people, to impose their standards of morality on others through law and social norms. Why are we told we need to "respect the beliefs of others" when ours are denigrated?

These areas are for us to freely vent our frustrations, as well as share our experiences with others of like mind. Atheists should not have to be polite about religion even in a space made for themselves. Certainly people should be able to freely believe what they like in their homes and in their hearts, but that doesn't mean religion should be free from criticism, and it doesn't mean religion is 100% good all the time. Nothing is.

Keep in mind, this is a forum for Religion and Ethics. Like it, or not, the question of ethics does not belong solely to either the religious, not to any one particular religion.

I see this question asked by religious folk frequently. I do disagree with some of the harsher anti-religious sentiments, at least as far as tone is concerned, but I understand exactly where those attitudes come from. Christians (speaking from the USA) have a harder time seeing the hold their religion has on our society and the actual harm it can do. When they are faced with the topic of crimes and abuses committed by other Christians, I commonly hear that the perpetrators were not "true Christians."

What is a true Christian? If a person, even if they are a criminal or an abuser (or, heck, just a run-of-the-mill wacko), professes belief in Jesus as the son of God and the savior of humanity, and accepts the Bible, then are they not a Christian? When asked how to become a Christian, is that not exactly what one is told? "To accept Jesus Christ in your heart, as your Lord, and Saviour"? The same people who are quick to point out that others are not true Christians are, more often than not, just as quick to point out the beliefs of other wrongdoers - Muslims and so-called "Satanists," for example. All people are capable of committing crimes, regardless of belief, but those who commit them in the name of their religion should not be ignored or brushed off as "not true believers." Just as it provides light and hope to some, there is a dark side to religion that people should acknowledge, too.

So back to the question of why atheists are so "toxic." Some among us have been hurt and abused by religion and religious people. Many see the religious attempting, at the expense of other people, to impose their standards of morality on others through law and social norms. Why are we told we need to "respect the beliefs of others" when ours are denigrated?

These areas are for us to freely vent our frustrations, as well as share our experiences with others of like mind. Atheists should not have to be polite about religion even in a space made for themselves. Certainly people should be able to freely believe what they like in their homes and in their hearts, but that doesn't mean religion should be free from criticism, and it doesn't mean religion is 100% good all the time. Nothing is.

Keep in mind, this is a forum for Religion and Ethics. Like it, or not, the question of ethics does not belong solely to either the religious, not to any one particular religion.
Atheists aren't toxic. Militant atheists maybe, but not atheists in general.

militant-atheist.jpg

militant-atheist.jpg

Note all the militant athiest ever did was talk and write about ideas.

militant-atheist.jpg
Sure and if you remove the props you wouldn't be able to tell them apart until they started preaching their dogma. It is their dogma which defines them, not their props.

militant-atheist.jpg
This is pretty simple, you are here for the express purpose of ridiculing people who don't think like you do. You actively seek out these situations in an attempt to subordinate religion. What did I get wrong?

militant-atheist.jpg
Sure and if you remove the props you wouldn't be able to tell them apart until they started preaching their dogma. It is their dogma which defines them, not their props.

All the male dominator god religions vomited up in the middle east have had to be spread via violence which requires props. Lots of them.

militant-atheist.jpg

All the male dominator god religions vomited up in the middle east have had to be spread via violence which requires props. Lots of them.
There you go again with that male dominator god religions. You do realize I addressed this in the other thread, right? I think the crickets are still chirping waiting for your response. We both know you are not going back though. But putting that aside, my point still stand - male dominator god religions notwithstanding - if you remove the props you wouldn't be able to tell them apart until they started preaching their dogma. It is their dogma which defines them, not their props. What exactly did I get wrong with that statement, amigo? Are you seriously going to argue that dogma does not define militantism? Seriously?

Toxicity is a relative thing, mean spirited and hateful is one thing. But at least they aren't creating an imaginary conflict, targeting and murdering (beheading or burning alive) non atheist, let alone hijacking civilian airplanes loaded with civilians as missiles to attack non atheists. Where as TOXIC theists are doing such things, which makes religion seem more anti-human and nihilistic and well beyond "toxic".

Toxicity is a relative thing, mean spirited and hateful is one thing. But at least they aren't creating an imaginary conflict, targeting and murdering (beheading or burning alive) non atheist, let alone hijacking civilian airplanes loaded with civilians as missiles to attack non atheists. Where as TOXIC theists are doing such things, which makes religion seem more anti-human and nihilistic and well beyond "toxic".
Yes, we should probably skip over the two hundred million people they murdered in the 20th century. Maybe we should give state atheism another chance.

Yes, we should probably skip over the two hundred million people they murdered in the 20th century. Maybe we should give state atheism another chance.
I figured someone would dredge up that stuff, let's face it, religion has created more victims in it's long tenure overall, but the thing HERE is, bad people hide behind religion,ideology or politics with just as much the same self righteousness. But the next terrorist attack you hear about won't be committed by an atheists, we all know who is the threat is here.

No, not saying that. Are you are trying to minimize the billions of people killed by religion in the last 20 centuries? The next terrorist attack, possible atomic/biological attack in the near future, will be by nutjobs that believe in the existence of an imaginary sky spirit. Not a atheist.

No, not saying that. Are you are trying to minimize the billions of people killed by religion in the last 20 centuries? The next terrorist attack, possible atomic/biological attack in the near future, will be by nutjobs that believe in the existence of an imaginary sky spirit. Not a atheist.
Billions?

militant-atheist.jpg
Suuuure...that's what defines them...

militant-atheist.jpg
This is pretty simple, you are here for the express purpose of ridiculing people who don't think like you do. You actively seek out these situations in an attempt to subordinate religion. What did I get wrong?
And yet, here you are, coming to a discussion, clearly about atheists, to bitch about how mean atheists are to Christians....

Hmmm...

Except that Atheists don't want "State Atheism". We want secular government. There is a difference. It was communists who wanted to impose state atheism, and that was due to their ideology, not their theology.

Except that Atheists don't want "State Atheism". We want secular government. There is a difference. It was communists who wanted to impose state atheism, and that was due to their ideology, not their theology.
We already have a secular government.

militant-atheist.jpg
And yet, here you are, coming to a discussion, clearly about atheists, to bitch about how mean atheists are to Christians....

Hmmm...
Really? That is what this thread is about?

militant-atheist.jpg
Suuuure...that's what defines them...
Yes. Dogma and behaviors.

So which ethics are you discussing now?

images

Forum List

Back