"Why are atheists so toxic"

I see this question asked by religious folk frequently. I do disagree with some of the harsher anti-religious sentiments, at least as far as tone is concerned, but I understand exactly where those attitudes come from. Christians (speaking from the USA) have a harder time seeing the hold their religion has on our society and the actual harm it can do. When they are faced with the topic of crimes and abuses committed by other Christians, I commonly hear that the perpetrators were not "true Christians."

What is a true Christian? If a person, even if they are a criminal or an abuser (or, heck, just a run-of-the-mill wacko), professes belief in Jesus as the son of God and the savior of humanity, and accepts the Bible, then are they not a Christian? When asked how to become a Christian, is that not exactly what one is told? "To accept Jesus Christ in your heart, as your Lord, and Saviour"? The same people who are quick to point out that others are not true Christians are, more often than not, just as quick to point out the beliefs of other wrongdoers - Muslims and so-called "Satanists," for example. All people are capable of committing crimes, regardless of belief, but those who commit them in the name of their religion should not be ignored or brushed off as "not true believers." Just as it provides light and hope to some, there is a dark side to religion that people should acknowledge, too.

So back to the question of why atheists are so "toxic." Some among us have been hurt and abused by religion and religious people. Many see the religious attempting, at the expense of other people, to impose their standards of morality on others through law and social norms. Why are we told we need to "respect the beliefs of others" when ours are denigrated?

These areas are for us to freely vent our frustrations, as well as share our experiences with others of like mind. Atheists should not have to be polite about religion even in a space made for themselves. Certainly people should be able to freely believe what they like in their homes and in their hearts, but that doesn't mean religion should be free from criticism, and it doesn't mean religion is 100% good all the time. Nothing is.

Keep in mind, this is a forum for Religion and Ethics. Like it, or not, the question of ethics does not belong solely to either the religious, not to any one particular religion.
Atheists aren't toxic. Militant atheists maybe, but not atheists in general.
militant-atheist.jpg
This is pretty simple, you are here for the express purpose of ridiculing people who don't think like you do. You actively seek out these situations in an attempt to subordinate religion. What did I get wrong?
... and out comes the persecution complex...
No. It is more like when people come looking for a fight they shouldn't be surprised when they get one. Can you tell me what I got wrong?

I see this question asked by religious folk frequently. I do disagree with some of the harsher anti-religious sentiments, at least as far as tone is concerned, but I understand exactly where those attitudes come from. Christians (speaking from the USA) have a harder time seeing the hold their religion has on our society and the actual harm it can do. When they are faced with the topic of crimes and abuses committed by other Christians, I commonly hear that the perpetrators were not "true Christians."

What is a true Christian? If a person, even if they are a criminal or an abuser (or, heck, just a run-of-the-mill wacko), professes belief in Jesus as the son of God and the savior of humanity, and accepts the Bible, then are they not a Christian? When asked how to become a Christian, is that not exactly what one is told? "To accept Jesus Christ in your heart, as your Lord, and Saviour"? The same people who are quick to point out that others are not true Christians are, more often than not, just as quick to point out the beliefs of other wrongdoers - Muslims and so-called "Satanists," for example. All people are capable of committing crimes, regardless of belief, but those who commit them in the name of their religion should not be ignored or brushed off as "not true believers." Just as it provides light and hope to some, there is a dark side to religion that people should acknowledge, too.

So back to the question of why atheists are so "toxic." Some among us have been hurt and abused by religion and religious people. Many see the religious attempting, at the expense of other people, to impose their standards of morality on others through law and social norms. Why are we told we need to "respect the beliefs of others" when ours are denigrated?

These areas are for us to freely vent our frustrations, as well as share our experiences with others of like mind. Atheists should not have to be polite about religion even in a space made for themselves. Certainly people should be able to freely believe what they like in their homes and in their hearts, but that doesn't mean religion should be free from criticism, and it doesn't mean religion is 100% good all the time. Nothing is.

Keep in mind, this is a forum for Religion and Ethics. Like it, or not, the question of ethics does not belong solely to either the religious, not to any one particular religion.
militant-atheist.jpg
This is pretty simple, you are here for the express purpose of ridiculing people who don't think like you do. You actively seek out these situations in an attempt to subordinate religion. What did I get wrong?

that they are true religions that are subordinated ....

militant-atheist.jpg
No. It is more like when people come looking for a fight they shouldn't be surprised when they get one. Can you tell me what I got wrong?

that you are the only one looking for a "fight" ...

militant-atheist.jpg
You mean, like coming into a discussion for Atheists, to pick a fight with atheists?

militant-atheist.jpg
Your habitually mistaking someone not agreeing with you, for lack of "objectivity"; for one. It's chronic with you. No doubt some device used on you effectively in the past, that you fancied "clever", and have now attempted to adapt it into your own schtick, however ineffectively.

militant-atheist.jpg
You mean, like coming into a discussion for Atheists, to pick a fight with atheists?
Oh, you misunderstand... next comes the part where the persecuted one explains to you that this thread, was nothing more than a "call out" thread.

I have a relative that is an atheist, I have no issue with his beliefs, however he is constantly berating people through social media about religious beliefs. I don't understand the reason, I don't care if a person expresses a belief in a God or if they are an atheists, why does it seem to bother atheists if a person believes in a higher being?

Oh, you misunderstand... next comes the part where the persecuted one explains to you that this thread, was nothing more than a "call out" thread.
Now that you mention it, it probably is. Should we ask a Mod for a ruling on that?

I have a relative that is an atheist, I have no issue with his beliefs, however he is constantly berating people through social media about religious beliefs. I don't understand the reason, I don't care if a person expresses a belief in a God or if they are an atheists, why does it seem to bother atheists if a person believes in a higher being?
I think for some it is an attempt to understand why another seemingly bright intelligent person would forego all rationale, and objectivity to believe in talking snakes, magic, and a zombie lord, born of a pedophiliac "god". It's just such a bizarre dichotomy... many are often compelled to probe at it, to understand what makes that person tick.

militant-atheist.jpg
No. I mean like coming to a thread to defend my faith from a rival faith.

Like I said persecution complex...

I think for some it is an attempt to understand why another seemingly bright intelligent person would forego all rationale, and objectivity to believe in talking snakes, magic, and a zombie lord, born of a pedophiliac "god". It's just such a bizarre dichotomy... many are often compelled to probe at it, to understand what makes that person tick.
Let's see. I've been a practicing engineer for over thirty years. By all accounts, I'm considered to be pretty intelligent. I can' help the fact that you don't understand allegory and choose to mischaracterize my beliefs, but I am curious what the hell you do for a living that would make you think you are superior to anyone. Well bub, what do you do? Clerk? Shoe salesman?

Today I heard a caller on rush Limbaugh was angry because liberals were picking on Jeff sessions. He said, "Jeff sessions is a Christian. There used to be a time when that meant something", as if he didn't lie under oath to congress.

Or is it that Christians think they can sin all they want because the only requirement to be in the club is belief in JC?

If it was an attempt to understand, why all the ripping of those that believe in a God. When it attempt to understand ones reasonings on an issue, I don't rip what they believe. I believe many opinions can co-exist and respect for a another person's beliefs is above all a sign of confidence in your own beliefs, otherwise a person wouldn't minimize a fellow human's belief or non-belief in a God.

Our Founding Fathers believed that slavery was against the Law of Nature but did not know how to end it at the time of founding but did intend for slavery to perish.
Really? Let's stop right there. If all of the Founding Fathers knew this, then why didn't they know how to stop it? Why not simply end it right there? Are you sure you want to stick with that sweeping generalisation of "the Founding Fathers"?
Because they could not negotiate a solution and form the nation.

Why should they have had to negotiate anything? One negotiates points of contention. You just insisted that they all agreed it was an affront to nature, and should be ended. No negotiation should have been necessary.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Really? Are you serious? I can't believe that you are arguing this. Google is your friend.

The Founding Fathers and Slavery | Founding Fathers

Yes, I believe I have just proven that it is you too.
No, you haven't. I have accurately described the militant factions of the three groups, and only one of them is not acting violently, and viciously, but you claim that it is I who is lacking objectivity. Look in a mirror, pal. You're projecting.
I have just proven it through your belief of the founding fathers, Einstein.
Your the one who keeps wanting to paint the "Founding Fathers" with a single broad brush, as if they were some amorphous hive organism all sharing a single mind, with a uniform moral code. Either you're an idiot, or being intentionally intellectually dishonest. I'll let you admit which.

I have facts to support my position. What do you have? Do you have anything? Please share with me what you have. Please don't tell me that you have nothing. Well... what do you have?
No, you don't. You have the opinions of specific members of the founding fathers. That does not constitute proof that all were in agreement with those opinions.

1. They wrote into the constitution the earliest date they could abolish importation.
2. They abolished importation on it's earliest date.
3. They passed the NW Ordinance which prevented any new slave states/territories
4. Two witnesses corroborate that the Founders believed it was evil and intended for it to end.
5. One witness tells us it was common knowledge and in publications of the day.

What do you have?

militant-atheist.jpg
Let the blood wash away your pain.

Yeah...atheism is a "faith" like baldness is a hair colour.

Yeah...atheism is a "faith" like baldness is a hair colour.

I will believe that when I stop seeing militant atheists attack religion like rivals attack rival religions.

If it was an attempt to understand, why all the ripping of those that believe in a God. When it attempt to understand ones reasonings on an issue, I don't rip what they believe. I believe many opinions can co-exist and respect for a another person's beliefs is above all a sign of confidence in your own beliefs, otherwise a person wouldn't minimize a fellow human's belief or non-belief in a God.
No. No we can't. The worst, most dangerous concept that ever grew out of the liberal "Political Correctness" movement was this moronic concept that every belief must be coddled, and respected. No. It really doesn't. And, HELLO!!! This is a Progressive speaking! Not every idea that has ever come out of the Progressive movement was a good one, and this was a bad idea.

If I take you to the roof of my five-storey building, walk to the edge, and tell you, grinning like the Cheshire Cat, "Hey! Watch this. I believe I can fly!!!" Should you "respect my beliefs" and watch me jump off, or should you grab me, and say, "Hey! Fucknuts! No! You can't! There's this thing called gravity!"

Every belief has to be acknowledged, but that is not the same as being respected. I have to acknowledge that you have a belief, and that you have the right to have that belief. Then I have every right to say, "And it's fuckin retarded!" and, in some cases - particularly, if those beliefs are doing demonstrable harm to children - the responsibility to do that. But, never am I required to respect your beliefs.

Forum List

Back