Why aren't all cops equipped with body cameras?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
In this day and age, it's essential equipment. A body camera protects both the cop and the public.

You cannot claim that they are too expensive, how much money is the Tulsa police going to spend investigating and defending themselves now? How much will the courts award the family if any? I don't know what that figure will be but I'll bet it would buy a lot of body cameras with money to spare.

I just don't understand it.

Damn strait they do.
While they have a right to life just like anyone else, they also work for us.

In the long run it would be less expensive, but when has the government been known for spending money wisely?

I'm sure they will be soon, but if you think having body cameras is going to prevent riots or save money, think again.

The expense comes in the form of the cameras, servers, storage, employees to manage all the data, etc.

There is also a big concern with having the correct policy. Are they on all the time? Does the officer activate it? What if there is a critical situation and the officer doesn't get the chance to activate it?

Once you have the cameras, there are other considerations. For one, the camera may pick up something that the officer didn't see because they are focused on a threat. Do you judge the officer then based on the video or their statement?

Some people think this will be a fix all, but it won't.

Charlotte officers have body cameras. Tulsa has dash cam and helo video. Is that saving any time, money, or resources?

I'm not against them. Just sayin, it aint the solution.

What is the solution? How about increasing the black graduation rate and decreasing the poverty and unemployment rates. That'd be a start.

In the long run it would be less expensive, but when has the government been known for spending money wisely?
Departments have to have the money to spend. Our sheriffs deputies start at $12.+ an hour. The jail (which is in the sheriff's budget) runs out of funds before the end of the year every single year. Can't buy what you haven't got the money in the check book for. I agree the state should put the money in their budget to buy them, though. It's just not always that easy.

I'm sure they will be soon, but if you think having body cameras is going to prevent riots or save money, think again.

The expense comes in the form of the cameras, servers, storage, employees to manage all the data, etc.

There is also a big concern with having the correct policy. Are they on all the time? Does the officer activate it? What if there is a critical situation and the officer doesn't get the chance to activate it?

Once you have the cameras, there are other considerations. For one, the camera may pick up something that the officer didn't see because they are focused on a threat. Do you judge the officer then based on the video or their statement?

I don't think it will be a fix-all, but it would have helped in the Michael Brown case and again in the recent Tulsa shooting. How much money and property would have been saved in Fergusson and the country if we would have had video of Brown?

I don't think there is any question it would save money in the long run. Perhaps even lives.

People complain about money and never consider we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to see if we can train a lion to run on a treadmill.
Its bullshit.

Charlotte officers have body cameras. Tulsa has dash cam and helo video. Is that saving any time, money, or resources?

What is the solution? How about increasing the black graduation rate and decreasing the poverty and unemployment rates. That'd be a start.

The dash can was almost useless and the chopper cam was limited. A body cam would have been definitive.

They are not the solution, but they can be a great benefit.

Your solution is simplistic and naive.

Departments have to have the money to spend. Our sheriffs deputies start at $12.+ an hour. The jail (which is in the sheriff's budget) runs out of funds before the end of the year every single year. Can't buy what you haven't got the money in the check book for. I agree the state should put the money in their budget to buy them, though. It's just not always that easy.

But say an incident like the one in Tulsa happens in your town. Now how's that budget?

At this point I don't think it really matters. It's looking more and more like the black community just wants to explode onto the streets of America anyway.

I don't think it will be a fix-all, but it would have helped in the Michael Brown case and again in the recent Tulsa shooting. How much money and property would have been saved in Fergusson and the country if we would have had video of Brown?

I don't think there is any question it would save money in the long run. Perhaps even lives.

I get what you are saying, I just doubt it. The Michael Brown incident had blown up well before any camera footage would have been released. Then, at that point, people don't care. They will probably just accuse the Police Departments of doctoring the video footage if the don't like what they see.

The dash can was almost useless and the chopper cam was limited. A body cam would have been definitive.

Sometimes simple is the answer. As far as naïve, are you saying blacks aren't capable of improving their graduation rates?

Sometimes simple is the answer. As far as naïve, are you saying blacks aren't capable of improving their graduation rates?

In a way, yes. The ones in the impoverished areas. There is a culture of violence and gangs that can only be reversed by the black community. This culture includes the belief that if you leave the hood and make something of yourself, you have betrayed your race. If you get an education, you have sold out to the man. You aren't going to fix that with handouts and platitudes.

In a way, yes. The ones in the impoverished areas. There is a culture of violence and gangs that can only be reversed by the black community. This culture includes the belief that if you leave the hood and make something of yourself, you have betrayed your race. If you get an education, you have sold out to the man. You aren't going to fix that with handouts and platitudes.

I agree 100%, the black community has to fix this. They could if they wanted to, they apparently just don't want to. That is why it is such a disappointment that "leaders" like Obama, Sharpton, Jackson, etc all suck so bad.

In this day and age, it's essential equipment. A body camera protects both the cop and the public.

You cannot claim that they are too expensive, how much money is the Tulsa police going to spend investigating and defending themselves now? How much will the courts award the family if any? I don't know what that figure will be but I'll bet it would buy a lot of body cameras with money to spare.

They're not terribly expensive but so far your donations have not been enough to buy even one, let alone hundreds of thousands.

Shape up.

They're not terribly expensive but so far your donations have not been enough to buy even one, let alone hundreds of thousands.

Shape up.

Why would I donate? It just makes good financial sense for them to do so.

Forum List

Back