Why can't gays accept civil unions and just be done with it?

It's really kind of hysterical seeing "conservatives" defend the inheritance tax (at substantial taxpayer expense I might add). The Boehner is such a boner.

Hey, it's what gays keep saying they want, equality under the law. Well, guess what, if she had inherited from a husband, she would have to pay the taxes. I can hardly wait until all these committed and devoted same gender couples start flooding the divorce courts.

You have no idea what is going on, do you? Edith Windsor, was legally married to her partner when she died, but because of DOMA, had to pay over $350,000 in taxes she would not have paid if she were legally married to a man. Is that really okay with you?

No. I do not agree that the government should extract even one thin dime from an inheritance. Presumably, the individual who amassed that estate already paid taxes once. It shouldn't matter what the relationship the inheritor had with the deceased.

I'm tired of all this civil union's ain't good enough and semantical bullshit, they can amend some aspects of civil unions to give equal legl rights to gays but leave marriage alone.

Because civil unions don't get them the financial benefits of marriage, like company insurance for the family, Social Security widow and orphans benefits, etc. etc. etc.

It's not about luv, Petunia, it's about money.

Why does anyone need validation from society?

I would think that gays could enter into any contract they think they need to with their partner.

But, in my opinion, that is not what they want. They want what they believe validated by the population in general. Kinda of sad when one thinks about it. There is nothing stopping anyone from loving anyone else. Marriage doesn't make someone love any one any more then they already do. The marriage contract was made to protect the woman, that is not required in Gay marriage, in my opinion.
Tell that to the woman who is suing in the Surpeme Court, because she paid $300,000.+ in inheritance taxes when her wife died. She wants it refunded, and most think she will indeed get it.

Tell what? That she inherited money from her partner and she has to pay taxes on it? Why would she not? There are farmers fearing their children will lose their farms because of the tax why would a gay be different.

The issue has already been resolved by the American public

It is gay marriage

Gays consider it a marriage, the public considers it a marriage and the laws will consider it a marriage

I'm tired of all this civil union's ain't good enough and semantical bullshit, they can amend some aspects of civil unions to give equal legl rights to gays but leave marriage alone.

Because civil unions don't get them the financial benefits of marriage, like company insurance for the family, Social Security widow and orphans benefits, etc. etc. etc.

You didn't read my question did you? I said basically give them all of the equal financial shit and or legal shit, I don't give a fuck, but to leave marriage between a man and woman. Just as a high school diploma is for people who attended and graduated school a marriage is between a man and a woman, gays asking for marriage is like a person with a GED asking for his GED to be call to be called a high school diploma and claiming discrimination and inequality if it isn't.

You didn't read my question did you? I said basically give them all of the equal financial shit and or legal shit, I don't give a fuck, but to leave marriage between a man and woman. Just as a high school diploma is for people who attended and graduated school a marriage is between a man and a woman, gays asking for marriage is like a person with a GED asking for his GED to be call to be called a high school diploma and claiming discrimination and inequality if it isn't.

You cannot give gay people the exact same rights as straight people and not call it marriage. If it isn't called marriage, there must be differences between a marriage and a civil union.

You cannot give gay people the exact same rights as straight people and not call it marriage. If it isn't called marriage, there must be differences between a marriage and a civil union.

Marriage is a religious sacrament that denotes the union of a man and a woman, thats why, thats the damn difference bullshit over a name and saying it ain't equal is fucking nonsense that isn't worth going to court over, I've already said give them the tax relief and all other civil legal rights, just don't call it a fucking marriage because marriage is exclusively between a man and woman and should not be redefined, thats like a Gentile going to the court and asking for baptism to be legally redefined, fuck the semantic shit, if they have all the same legals and financial rights there is no inequality

Marriage is a religious sacrament that denotes the union of a man and a woman, thats why, thats the damn difference bullshit over a name and saying it ain't equal is fucking nonsense that isn't worth going to court over, I've already said give them the tax relief and all other civil legal rights, just don't call it a fucking marriage because marriage is exclusively between a man and woman and should not be redefined, thats like a Gentile going to the court and asking for baptism to be legally redefined, fuck the semantic shit, if they have all the same legals and financial rights there is no inequality

Religions can call it what they like

But a gay couple whether through civil union or marriage will stop introducing someone as their "partner" and will call them a husband or wife

Why does anyone need validation from society?

I would think that gays could enter into any contract they think they need to with their partner.

But, in my opinion, that is not what they want. They want what they believe validated by the population in general. Kinda of sad when one thinks about it. There is nothing stopping anyone from loving anyone else. Marriage doesn't make someone love any one any more then they already do. The marriage contract was made to protect the woman, that is not required in Gay marriage, in my opinion.
Tell that to the woman who is suing in the Surpeme Court, because she paid $300,000.+ in inheritance taxes when her wife died. She wants it refunded, and most think she will indeed get it.

Tell what? That she inherited money from her partner and she has to pay taxes on it? Why would she not? There are farmers fearing their children will lose their farms because of the tax why would a gay be different.

Pay attention...I'm going to type slow.

Edith Windsor was legally married in NY to her partner, a woman. Had she been legally married to a man in NY, she would not have had to pay the $350,000 dollars. Get it? Does that gel with any basic sense of fairness?

But a gay couple whether through civil union or marriage will stop introducing someone as their "partner" and will call them a husband or wife

I'm not sure why a civil Union law can't coexist with a marriage law? It seems to me that a civil union has components of a marriage, but lack other components. At the same time a marriage has components of a civil union (as long as they are recognized on the Federal level) but lacks others. A civil union simply describes a relationship between a same gender couple and marriage remains a law that provides that the couple must be of different genders.

As for how a couple introduces each other, I am not aware of a law that results in penalty for introducing anyone anything you want to? Wife, Husband, Partner, Spouse, better half, ball and chain or whatever.

I'm not sure why a civil Union law can't coexist with a marriage law? It seems to me that a civil union has components of a marriage, but lack other components. At the same time a marriage has components of a civil union (as long as they are recognized on the Federal level) but lacks others. A civil union simply describes a relationship between a same gender couple and marriage remains a law that provides that the couple must be of different genders.

As for how a couple introduces each other, I am not aware of a law that results in penalty for introducing anyone anything you want to? Wife, Husband, Partner, Spouse, better half, ball and chain or whatever.

My point was that up until now, gays were forced to accept a less desirable "partner" designation

I doubt if any will anymore

Because, to paraphrase Justice Kennedy, the purpose of ‘civil unions’ is to classify homosexuals not to further a proper legislative end but to make them unequal to everyone else. It’s an attempt to appease same-sex couples with a pretend marriage, where the state and society continue to acknowledge opposite-sex marriage as legitimate marriage and civil unions as the kids’ table of matrimony. It’s demeaning, humiliating, and just as un-Constitutional.

My point was that up until now, gays were forced to accept a less desirable "partner" designation

I doubt if any will anymore

So when I introduce my female wife as simply my partner I designate her as less desirable than when I introduce her as my Wife? Is that it? Again, where in the law would it say a female partner in a civil union could not be called a wife?

Because, to paraphrase Justice Kennedy, the purpose of ‘civil unions’ is to classify homosexuals not to further a proper legislative end but to make them unequal to everyone else. It’s an attempt to appease same-sex couples with a pretend marriage, where the state and society continue to acknowledge opposite-sex marriage as legitimate marriage and civil unions as the kids’ table of matrimony. It’s demeaning, humiliating, and just as un-Constitutional.

If the components of both relationships were equal, then I would tend to agree. The problem is that the are obviously not equal (or the same), so we differ on that.

Every City has a Fire Department. Every City has a Police Department. They both serve public safety purposes so they are alike in that respect, but they are different enough that we designate them differently. I doubt you will find a firefighter that Thinks he is demeaned because he is not called a Police Officer.

Last edited:

If the components of both relationships were equal, then I would tend to agree. The problem is that the are obviously not equal (or the same), so we differ on that.

Every City has a Fire Department. Every City has a Police Department. They both serve public safety purposes so they are alike in that respect, but they are different enough that we designate them differently. I doubt you will find a firefighter that Thinks he is demeaned because he is not called a Police Officer.

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. Gays do not want to be called straight, they want to be treated equally under the law.

But since the components of both relationships are indeed equal, the premise of ‘civil unions’ fails.

When compared like comparisions would need to be used.

Therefore could you explain, from a legal and equal treatment perspective, what the compelling government interest is in treating law abiding, tax paying, US Citizen, non-related, infertile, consenting, adults in a different-sex couple is as compared to law abiding, tax paying, US Citizen, non-related, infertile, consenting, adults in a same-sex couple?

Incorrect comparison, your comparison is like comparing a members of the Electrical Union with volunteers of the Red Cross.

A better comparison would be to say that you have two Police Officers one straight and one gay. The straight officer is referred to a "Officer" and for the one that is gay calling them a "meter maid/main".

>>>>

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. Gays do not want to be called straight, they want to be treated equally under the law.

Where I'd I write that Gays could not be Called Gay?

You said they didn't want to be called "partners", you answered the wrong post?

My response to that post was that there is no law saying that they must be called partners, that I know of. Are there?

My response to the above post was that things that have some things in common are treated differently because, although there are some common components, there are also striking differences.

Peace

if both gay people declare themselves heteros, would they then be able to marry each other in every state? Hetero marriage is ok, isn't it?

Forum List

Back