Why can't gays accept civil unions and just be done with it?

I'm tired of all this civil union's ain't good enough and semantical bullshit, they can amend some aspects of civil unions to give equal legl rights to gays but leave marriage alone.
ask the lady from new york the 80 year old something .... when her other half died instead of the other person in that civia union retaining their wealth of the civil union, you republicans said they can't do that ... that they have to pay taxes on it ... that they haven't any wrights to each others social security benefits or any benefit that you receive as a married person .... marriage has nothing to do with establishing 1 man 12 woman ... it has to do with all the beneifits that married people get ... period

I'm not a fucking Republican, I believe that marriage is a religious act, what do you not get about that? Its not a civil thing, if civil union sthat gives all the same rights are given to gays they have no reason to bitch about equality, homosexuality is not the same thing and heterosexuality so its dumb to make them equally same.

Okay................fine...................you can keep the marriages from the gays.

But you have to give civil unions between homosexual couples the same 1100 tax exemptions, property rights, ability to visit loved ones in the hospital, etc. that the marriages get.

Okay................fine...................you can keep the marriages from the gays.

But you have to give civil unions between homosexual couples the same 1100 tax exemptions, property rights, ability to visit loved ones in the hospital, etc. that the marriages get.

I agree, I'm not against this.

I'm tired of all this civil union's ain't good enough and semantical bullshit, they can amend some aspects of civil unions to give equal legl rights to gays but leave marriage alone.
ask the lady from new york the 80 year old something .... when her other half died instead of the other person in that civia union retaining their wealth of the civil union, you republicans said they can't do that ... that they have to pay taxes on it ... that they haven't any wrights to each others social security benefits or any benefit that you receive as a married person .... marriage has nothing to do with establishing 1 man 12 woman ... it has to do with all the beneifits that married people get ... period

I'm not a fucking Republican, I believe that marriage is a religious act, what do you not get about that? Its not a civil thing, if civil union sthat gives all the same rights are given to gays they have no reason to bitch about equality, homosexuality is not the same thing and heterosexuality so its dumb to make them equally same.
I believe that religion is not a necessity in marriages and weddings; not in the US anyway. Religion had not a single thing to do with my marriage.

Your argument is that religion is compulsory in American marriages. You are wrong. What do you not get about the 1st Amendment?

Last edited:

I agree, I'm not against this.

I don't agree. Why? First, it is not feasible because the ultra religious far right fights against civil unions every chance they get just almost as hard as they do against gay marriage. They do not want gays even to have civil unions even though they "claim" they do. Their actions belie their words.

Second because the far right resorts only to emotion, not logic, to defend a word. Every single time they are asked why, they respond only with anger or fallacious nonsense.

No. And that is not happening, or even the point.

No. What is dumb is you. Like gays are not Christian or religious. Who is comparing homosexuality to heterosexuality? The topic is civil union vs. marriage...or did you lose your train of thought?

No. What is dumb is you. Like gays are not Christian or religious. Who is comparing homosexuality to heterosexuality? The topic is civil union vs. marriage...or did you lose your train of thought?

The bible forbids homosexuality, let alone homosexual marriage. If a civil union is given same rights as marriage gays need to shut the fuck up.

The bible forbids homosexuality, let alone homosexual marriage. If a civil union is given same rights as marriage gays need to shut the fuck up.

Many Americans don't care what the bible forbids or allows. American laws should not be based upon religious beliefs. Unless you are wanting to trash the US Constitution???

Also, one of your cohorts in the "hate-all-gays" club on another thread claimed that the liberals and gays are always giving emotional answers, not logical ones; I told him he was wrong. Thanks for providing more concrete evidence that the religious right/anti-gay dudes are the ones who always get pissed. :rock:

Many Americans don't care what the bible forbids or allows. American laws should not be based upon religious beliefs. Unless you are wanting to trash the US Constitution???

Also, one of your cohorts in the "hate-all-gays" club on another thread claimed that the liberals and gays are always giving emotional answers, not logical ones; I told him he was wrong. Thanks for providing more concrete evidence that the religious right/anti-gay dudes are the ones who always get pissed. :rock:

There should be separation of state and church, marriage is of the churches not govt, I'm not a religious rightwinger, I'm the most liberal dude here, but even libs go too far with some shit.

The Bible is irrelevant in the matter.

If that were acceptable to most homosexuals this question could have been settled years ago. At this point, that does not seem to be the case.

like I said, marriage is a religious act not a civil one, get govt out of marriages.

like I said, marriage is a religious act not a civil one, get govt out of marriages.

You're incorrect. Religion is not mandatory in the United States. You cannot say that atheists can't get married. You cannot say that those who don't believe in your religion can't get married. You cannot mandate by law that a fundamental right such as speech, right to bear arms, or marriage be contingent upon believing in some god or gods.

It is completely and indisputably against the 1st Amendment.

Marriage existed long before Christianity, long before Judaism.

Your religion is your business; why do you insist on making others obey your religious tenets? Would you like it if Muslims used the force of law to make you obey their tenets? :rock:

If that were acceptable to most homosexuals this question could have been settled years ago. At this point, that does not seem to be the case.

Why should they? Frankly, why should they settle for less than full-fledged marriage?

Because you're unhappy?

Name a state where gays turned down civil unions. I can name plenty that wouldn't pass one...

Why should they? Frankly, why should they settle for less than full-fledged marriage?

Because you're unhappy?

If they get the same rights in a civil union it is just as fuulfledged, that other bullshit is semantics...

Because you're unhappy?

If they get the same rights in a civil union it is just as fuulfledged, that other bullshit is semantics...

Wait a minute...you're complaining about "bullshit semantics" when you want to create a separate class of people over semantics?

If civil unions are so great, let's adopt them for ALL non-familial consenting adult couples. It won't take that long to change hundreds of thousands of statues, laws and forms.

I mean, this is the perfect compromise, right? Marriage to the church, civil unions to the government...funny that not once has there been legislation introduced anywhere to do that.

Because you're unhappy?

I think the point is that we all have the right to Marry under the current law. What some would contend is that the current law restricts them from Marrying who they want without restriction.

First, I admire the courage of their conviction. For many years, simply expressing that opinion would have been the lone voice in a very large population. It takes courage even today. Good for you and all on your side of the discussion.

Saying that, I disagree.

All rights come with restrictions. I can't think of a single right that allows it to be excersized, at all times and under all conditions. I also know of no law that forces anyone to excesize those rights.

We have the right to free speech, but if you see someone light a lighter in a crowded theater, and someone yell's "fire" in a terrifying manner, he has violated a condition of free speech. He committed a crime.

At the same time, although we all have the right to the freedom of speech, no one can compel you to speak. Your right is never violated because you don't want to excesize the right.

The laws in most state and on the federal level states that a marriage is a right that is available to all with certain qualifications. The Government does not say you must Marry, it simply says you may Marry, but if you wish too, you must meet certain qualifications.

In this case Same Gender unions, IMO, the government should see that a one size fits all law simply does not work for a segment of the population and we are attempting to create a law that will make that segment whole.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back