Why Conservative Is Simply Better....

Wow!

Look at five Liberal Roosevelt-groupies screech, howl, and fume over the truth being revealed!!!

And pouring more truth-gasoline on this fire is my guilty pleasure.

How about some more?

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work."

And FDR's Treasury Secretary also told Congress:

"I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. ... And an enormous debt to boot!"

Morgenthau made this“startling confession,” as historian Burton W. Folsom Jr. calls it, during the seventh year of FDR’s New Deal programs to combat the rampant unemployment of the Great Depression.

“In these words, Morgenthau summarized a decade of disaster, especially during the years Roosevelt was in power. Indeed average unemployment for the whole year in 1939 would be higher than that in 1931, the year before Roosevelt captured the presidency from Herbert Hoover,”Folsom writes in his new book, “New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR’s Economic Legacy Has Damaged America.”

clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

Indeed, with those words, Morgenthau confessed what so many keepers of FDR’s flame won’t admit today: The New Deal was failed public policy. Massive spending on public works programs didn’t erase historic unemployment. It didn’t produce a recovery.

Some of the most desperate defenders of New Deal doctrine are getting a little shrill about this hard truth. It’s an important truth, nevertheless, especially because the same characters insist that Barack Obama must push through a “bold” economic stimulus that depends on hundreds of billions in new government spending to create or “save” jobs.

Budget and financial experts here at The Heritage Foundation are among cooler heads cautioning that President Obama ought not to repeat President Roosevelt’s mistakes. In one such effort, Heritage last week distributeda chart showing that FDR’s programs didn’t succeed in pushing unemployment below 20 percent.
'We're Spending More Than Ever and It Doesn't Work'

the most desperate defenders of New Deal doctrine are getting a little shrill ...

Morgenthau confessed what so many keepers of FDR’s flame won’t admit today...
average unemployment for the whole year in 1939 would be higher than that in 1931

FDR made it worse, and never.....never.....accomplished his goals!!!

The richest cities in America are also run by Democrats.

They were all rich before Democrats took over. Give them some time...
NO they weren't. Democrats brought us out of the great depression created by republican fools! The emerging middle class accumulated wealth that endured and provided a tax base wherever they clustered together in places called... you guessed it.... cities.

And so we travel on down the road of "Great Lies That Liberal Dunces Continue to Believe."
Liberal? Where? Who? I ain't no liberal, toots. I think of myself as a classical liberal Democrat, better known as a capital "C" Conservative; not a small "c" conservative like you and the Southern Democrats are/were. Someone needs to travel down your highway... you are far too high strung

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....it's a duck.

Stop quacking.

NO they weren't. Democrats brought us out of the great depression created by republican fools! The emerging middle class accumulated wealth that endured and provided a tax base wherever they clustered together in places called... you guessed it.... cities.

And so we travel on down the road of "Great Lies That Liberal Dunces Continue to Believe."
In case you didn't notice, after GOP presidencies of the 1920's, they never were able to gain the White House for a generation...Because of how they handled the economy...

The way "they handled the economy..." was known as the 'Roaring Twenties."

And, of course, Republican President Harding was far superior to Democrat Roosevelt in fighting recessions.

Must I teach you obvious things like this each and every day???????

You can squirm all you like, and postulate till the cows come home for dinner, but the voters in the USA did not like how the repubs turned a blind eye to the populace of the USA and the whey they handled the economy...FDR was willing to try anything to help the citizens, and as a reward they elected him 4 times...

Every one of my posts is linked, documented and soured.

Yours.....sauced.

In case you didn't notice, after GOP presidencies of the 1920's, they never were able to gain the White House for a generation...Because of how they handled the economy...

And, of course, Republican President Harding was far superior to Democrat Roosevelt in fighting recessions.

You can squirm all you like, and postulate till the cows come home for dinner, but the voters in the USA did not like how the repubs turned a blind eye to the populace of the USA and the whey they handled the economy...FDR was willing to try anything to help the citizens, and as a reward they elected him 4 times...

Yours.....sauced.
You use sites that are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other..I use real history...no notation is needed if you have any sense of history of the USA..

Wow!

Look at five Liberal Roosevelt-groupies screech, howl, and fume over the truth being revealed!!!

How about some more?

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work."

"I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. ... And an enormous debt to boot!"

Morgenthau made this“startling confession,” as historian Burton W. Folsom Jr. calls it, during the seventh year of FDR’s New Deal programs to combat the rampant unemployment of the Great Depression.

“In these words, Morgenthau summarized a decade of disaster, especially during the years Roosevelt was in power. Indeed average unemployment for the whole year in 1939 would be higher than that in 1931, the year before Roosevelt captured the presidency from Herbert Hoover,”Folsom writes in his new book, “New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR’s Economic Legacy Has Damaged America.”

clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

Indeed, with those words, Morgenthau confessed what so many keepers of FDR’s flame won’t admit today: The New Deal was failed public policy. Massive spending on public works programs didn’t erase historic unemployment. It didn’t produce a recovery.

Some of the most desperate defenders of New Deal doctrine are getting a little shrill about this hard truth. It’s an important truth, nevertheless, especially because the same characters insist that Barack Obama must push through a “bold” economic stimulus that depends on hundreds of billions in new government spending to create or “save” jobs.

Budget and financial experts here at The Heritage Foundation are among cooler heads cautioning that President Obama ought not to repeat President Roosevelt’s mistakes. In one such effort, Heritage last week distributeda chart showing that FDR’s programs didn’t succeed in pushing unemployment below 20 percent.

the most desperate defenders of New Deal doctrine are getting a little shrill ...

average unemployment for the whole year in 1939 would be higher than that in 1931

For the life of me Political Chic I can't understand how Conservatives could ever think they have been correct about economic theory when most of the time they moderate from a position of failure. The economy during the first four years of FDR's administration did quite well and only was interrupted in 1937 when he slashed spending trying to balance the budget while wrongly thinking the economy was well enough to sustain itself. Even then, GDP did not drop and was strong throughout the recovery. When FDR realized what was happening he reversed course and GDP soared by 10.9% in 1939 and industrial production was up by 23%. You might pay attention to the garbage you're getting your sourcing from, it looks like typical conservative tripe not worth the paper it's written on.

Yours.....sauced.
You use sites that are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other..I use real history...no notation is needed if you have any sense of history of the USA..

I provided a dozen sources....you, nothing.

Pretty much average for a Liberal.

Government school grad?

Yours.....sauced.

ONCE MORE BUBBA

Franklin Roosevelt's Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau confessed that the "New Deal" was a failure in sworn testimony before Congress on May 9, 1939.

GOT A LINK TO THAT, YOU KNOW LIBRARY OF CONGRESS????

FUKKNG LYING POS'S RIGHT WINGERS!

"And FDR's Treasury Secretary also told Congress:

CONservative "math" again, FDR took office March 1933, barely 6 years into office when his treasury sec in HIS JOURNAL, wrote the quote about SPENDING...Dumbass

It roared alright, until the house of cards that created it came to a crashing halt, literally: Causes of the Great Depression

The Economy crashed because the Fed withdrew 1/3 of the money supply

cough cough Moron cough

Yours.....sauced.

ONCE MORE BUBBA

Franklin Roosevelt's Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau confessed that the "New Deal" was a failure in sworn testimony before Congress on May 9, 1939.

GOT A LINK TO THAT, YOU KNOW LIBRARY OF CONGRESS????

FUKKNG LYING POS'S RIGHT WINGERS!
Wow!

How about some more?

clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

"Roosevelt's Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau confessed "

To Bart Simpson Folsom, the "historian" with the Rand fetish right? lol

Wow!

How about some more?

clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

For the life of me Political Chic I can't understand how Conservatives could ever think they have been correct about economic theory when most of the time they moderate from a position of failure. The economy during the first four years of FDR's administration did quite well and only was interrupted in 1937 when he slashed spending trying to balance the budget while wrongly thinking the economy was well enough to sustain itself. Even then, GDP did not drop and was strong throughout the recovery. When FDR realized what was happening he reversed course and GDP soared by 10.9% in 1939 and industrial production was up by 23%. You might pay attention to the garbage you're getting your sourcing from, it looks like typical conservative tripe not worth the paper it's written on.

"I can't understand how Conservatives could ever think they have been correct about economic theory when most of the time they moderate from a position of failure."

Lots of things you can't understand...
Watch me make you eat those words.

1. "Henry Morgenthau, Jr. (/ˈmɔrɡənθɔː/; May 11, 1891 – February 6, 1967) was the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury during the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt. He played a major role in designing and financing the New Deal."
Henry Morgenthau, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

2. Don't take my word for the ineptitude, here is Roosevelt BFF, secretary of the treasury, expert on finance and compendium of statistics on the economy of the 1930's:

"“We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before andit does not work.And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong…somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises…I say after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started…And an enormous debt to boot!”
Morgenthau Diary, May 9, 1939, Franklin Roosevelt Presidential Library

a. In 1935, the Brookings Institution (left-leaning) delivered a 900-page report on the New Deal and the National Recovery Administration, concluding that “on the whole it retarded recovery.
http://www.aei.org/article/26390

How ya' like them apples, boyyyyyeeeeeeee????

It roared alright, until the house of cards that created it came to a crashing halt, literally: Causes of the Great Depression

cough cough Moron cough

1929-1933 AFTER the GOP bubble popped. AND?

1921 and All That

The recovery from the 1920-21 recession supposedly demonstrates that deflation and hands-off monetary policy is the way to go.

But have the people making these arguments really looked at what happened back then? Or are they relying on vague impressions about a distant episode, with bad data, that has been spun as a confirmation of their beliefs?

OK, I’m not going to invest a lot in this. But even a cursory examination of the available data suggests that 1921 has few useful lessons for the kind of slump we’re facing now.

Brad DeLong has recently written up a clearer version of a story I’ve been telling for a while (actually since before the 2008 crisis) — namely, that there’s a big difference between inflation-fighting recessions, in which the Fed squeezes to bring inflation down, then relaxes — and recessions brought on by overstretch in debt and investment. The former tend to be V-shaped, with a rapid recovery once the Fed relents; the latter tend to be slow, because it’s much harder to push private spending higher than to stop holding it down.

And the 1920-21 recession was basically an inflation-fighting recession — although the Fed was trying to bring the level of prices, rather than the rate of change, down. What you had was a postwar bulge in prices, which was then reversed:

fredgraph.png

Money was tightened, then loosened again:

fredgraph.png

Discount rates are a problematic indicator, but here’s what happened to commercial paper rates:

harding2.jpg
Historical statistics, Millennial edition
And so there was a V-shaped recovery:

harding1.jpg

The deflation may have helped by increasing the real money supply — at least Meltzer thinks so (pdf) — but if so, the key point was that the economy was nowhere near the zero lower bound, so there was plenty of room for the conventional monetary channel to work.

All of this has zero relevance to an economy in our current situation, in which the recession was brought on by private overstretch, not tight money, and in which the zero lower bound is all too binding.

So do we have anything to learn from the macroeconomics of Warren Harding? No.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/1921-and-all-that/

YES, HOOVER INHERITED HARDING/COOLIDGE'S BUBBLE, AND COULDN'T FIX IT IN 3+ YEARS.

Paul "Wrong in the Trillion Column" Krugman. Since Larson stopped "The Far Side", Krugman is the funniest thing in print

Wow!

How about some more?

clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

"I can't understand how Conservatives could ever think they have been correct about economic theory when most of the time they moderate from a position of failure."

1. "Henry Morgenthau, Jr. (/ˈmɔrɡənθɔː/; May 11, 1891 – February 6, 1967) was the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury during the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt. He played a major role in designing and financing the New Deal."

2. Don't take my word for the ineptitude, here is Roosevelt BFF, secretary of the treasury, expert on finance and compendium of statistics on the economy of the 1930's:

"“We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before andit does not work.And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong…somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises…I say after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started…And an enormous debt to boot!”

a. In 1935, the Brookings Institution (left-leaning) delivered a 900-page report on the New Deal and the National Recovery Administration, concluding that “on the whole it retarded recovery.
article - AEI

YOU GO FROM CONGRESS TO DIARY? LOL

AND the source of that is Bart Simpson Folsom the "historian"?? lol

Wow!

How about some more?

clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

article - AEI

" In 1935, the Brookings Institution (left-leaning) delivered a 900-page report on the New Deal and the National Recovery Administration, concluding that “on the whole it retarded recovery.

LIAR

It was ONLY on National Recovery Administration, which was already done in 1935, was to slow to react. Weird how much AEI/YOU lie Bubette!

cough cough Moron cough

1929-1933 AFTER the GOP bubble popped. AND?

No, Honey Boo Boo

"I can think of no greater honor than being invited to speak on the occasion of Milton Friedman’s ninetieth birthday. Among economic scholars, Friedman has no peer. …

Today I’d like to honor Milton Friedman by talking about one of his greatest contributions to economics, made in close collaboration with his distinguished coauthor, Anna J. Schwartz. This achievement is nothing less than to provide what has become the leading and most persuasive explanation of the worst economic disaster in American history, the onset of the Great Depression – or, as Friedman and Schwartz dubbed it, the Great Contraction of 1929-33.

… As everyone here knows, in their “Monetary History” Friedman and Schwartz made the case that the economic collapse of 1929-33 was the product of the nation’s monetary mechanism gone wrong. Contradicting the received wisdom at the time that they wrote, which held that money was a passive player in the events of the 1930s, Friedman and Schwartz argued that “the contraction is in fact a tragic testimonial to the importance of monetary forces.”

Read more at Bernanke: Federal Reserve caused Great Depression

Wow!

How about some more?

clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

article - AEI

I thought the part you cut out was really cute: ."We have never begun to tax the people in this country the way they should be.... I don't pay what I should. People of my class don't. People who have it should pay.... After eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started...and an enormous debt to boot!"[8]

1921 and All That

The recovery from the 1920-21 recession supposedly demonstrates that deflation and hands-off monetary policy is the way to go.

But have the people making these arguments really looked at what happened back then? Or are they relying on vague impressions about a distant episode, with bad data, that has been spun as a confirmation of their beliefs?

OK, I’m not going to invest a lot in this. But even a cursory examination of the available data suggests that 1921 has few useful lessons for the kind of slump we’re facing now.

Brad DeLong has recently written up a clearer version of a story I’ve been telling for a while (actually since before the 2008 crisis) — namely, that there’s a big difference between inflation-fighting recessions, in which the Fed squeezes to bring inflation down, then relaxes — and recessions brought on by overstretch in debt and investment. The former tend to be V-shaped, with a rapid recovery once the Fed relents; the latter tend to be slow, because it’s much harder to push private spending higher than to stop holding it down.

And the 1920-21 recession was basically an inflation-fighting recession — although the Fed was trying to bring the level of prices, rather than the rate of change, down. What you had was a postwar bulge in prices, which was then reversed:

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

Discount rates are a problematic indicator, but here’s what happened to commercial paper rates:

harding2.jpg

harding1.jpg

The deflation may have helped by increasing the real money supply — at least Meltzer thinks so (pdf) — but if so, the key point was that the economy was nowhere near the zero lower bound, so there was plenty of room for the conventional monetary channel to work.

All of this has zero relevance to an economy in our current situation, in which the recession was brought on by private overstretch, not tight money, and in which the zero lower bound is all too binding.

YES, HOOVER INHERITED HARDING/COOLIDGE'S BUBBLE, AND COULDN'T FIX IT IN 3+ YEARS.

Paul "Wrong in the Trillion Column" Krugman. Since Larson stopped "The Far Side", Krugman is the funniest thing in print

Ad hom? Typical of you Bubs

1921 and All That

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

harding2.jpg

harding1.jpg

Those who do not learn history are probably voting for Democrats

1921 and All That

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

harding2.jpg

harding1.jpg

Ad hom? Typical of you Bubs

Krugman is a fucking moron, that's unequivocal

Forum List

Back