Why Do Atheists Insist That Atheism Is Not A Religion?

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion, what benefits do Atheists expect to gain by having it declared not to be a religion?

Additionally, what harm comes to Atheists in having it declared to be a religion?

Please do not argue here whether or not Atheism is a religion.

Because it's not you jackalope it's the absence of religion. It is stuff like this that made me take a hiatus from this site.

Because it's not you jackalope it's the absence of religion. It is stuff like this that made me take a hiatus from this site.

An active belief that there is no deity is a religious belief. Agnosticism, not caring if there is a deity or not is closer to not being a religion than atheism.

Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion, what benefits do Atheists expect to gain by having it declared not to be a religion?

Additionally, what harm comes to Atheists in having it declared to be a religion?

Its because most true Atheists are insufferable assholes.

Please do take another. Perhaps you could take up golf and go play with your balls.

The real question should be "why do Christian extremists continue to promote their hate and intolerance for those who conclude that ancient tales and fables are false"?

Concluding that your fears and superstitions are false has no connection to religious belief.

Thumping your bibles across multiple threads makes you appear quite desperate.

The real question should be "why do Christian extremists continue to promote their hate and intolerance for those who conclude that ancient tales and fables are false"?

Concluding that your fears and superstitions are false has no connection to religious belief.

The OP defines what the real question here should be. If you want answers to your own question, go start another thread. We are discussing here the benefits Atheists expect from Atheism being declared not to be a religion? What your so-called "bible thumpers" do has no bearing on the question.

Can any of you Atheists shed like on this?

The OP defines what the real question here should be. If you want answers to your own question, go start another thread. We are discussing here the benefits Atheists expect from Atheism being declared not to be a religion? What your so-called "bible thumpers" do has no bearing on the question.

You have predefined your agenda. You insist that atheism is a religion when none of the trappings of religious belief are held by those who conclude your gods are of myth and legend.

Makes no sense

You have predefined your agenda. You insist that atheism is a religion when none of the trappings of religious belief are held by those who conclude your gods are of myth and legend.
What part of "Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion" do you not understand? All that is of interest here is what Atheists think they will gain by having Atheism declared not to be a religion.

What part of "Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion" do you not understand? All that is of interest here is what Atheists think they will gain by having Atheism declared not to be a religion.
You presuppose your question with an obvious agenda.

Conclusions rejecting your gods is not a "religion". Therefore there is no concern. Atheism being declared not a religion is your presumptive option that it is a religion. And of course, it's not.

You have no need to be angry about others concluding your gods are of human invention, as are all the gods which preceded your gods.

Would think that if it's considered legally a religion, then the very religions atheists are trying to get out of law will remain there along with themselves. Whereas if they insist it's not a religion, then religions protected by law will be less likely protected in the future.

Conclusions rejecting your gods is not a "religion". Therefore there is no concern. Atheism being declared not a religion is your presumptive option that it is a religion. And of course, it's not.

You have no need to be angry about others concluding your gods are of human invention, as are all the gods which preceded your gods.
You still do not understand the question. I am not using this thread to argue that Atheism is a religion. I am asking for statement of any benefits that Atheists expect to receive should we determine logically that it is NOT a religion.

You still do not understand the question. I am not using this thread to argue that Atheism is a religion. I am asking for statement of any benefits that Atheists expect to receive should we determine logically that it is NOT a religion.
You are sidestepping the presumptive nature of your alleged "statement". It's not a statement at all but a vehicle to promote your hatreds and intolerance.

You're allowing your hate and intolerance to limit your ability to reach rational conclusions.

It's not surprising you limit yourself, but what you need to see is that by limiting yourself, you are not embracing knowledge, you are embracing a particular dogma. Knowledge is far broader than what has been written about your faith.

I am talking about the underlying principles of religion, specifically the Christian religion. It is fearful of real true knowledge-- it has made it man's primary sin and it has lauded faith over critical thinking. Believe because if you don't, you are condemned-- What did "he" say to the doubting Thomas? "Blessed are those who have not seen but believe"?

Of course. Because critical thinking and the evidence here points away from the religious claims. And for most of its history, the religious entities could not allow themselves to lose such all-encompassing power.

Would think that if it's considered legally a religion, then the very religions atheists are trying to get out of law will remain there along with themselves. Whereas if they insist it's not a religion, then religions protected by law will be less likely protected in the future.
Thanks for an honest answer. It seems a bit after the fact though. The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals has already said Atheism is legally a religion. I follow you in that if it is a religion, it is entitled to the same protections as other religions. I do not follow the thinking that if it is not a religion that religions currently protected will lose their protection in the future.

Is it part of the dogma of Atheism to remove constitutional protections from religion?

An active belief that there is no deity is a religious belief. Agnosticism, not caring if there is a deity or not is closer to not being a religion than atheism.

First of all, "an active belief that there is no deity" isn't what makes one an atheist. Not being a theist is what makes one an atheist. And agnosticism isn't "not caring" or even "not sure" - it's the observation that the existence of gods isn't a provable proposition; that it's inherent in the nature of the concept that it's unprovable either way. You can be an agnostic and a true believer at the same time, as well as an agnostic and an atheist at the same time.

As far as what is gained or lost in accepting these labels: not much. It's usually only an issue in the context of particular political agendas. The "Intelligent Design" movement, for example, seeks to have atheism classified as a religion in their efforts to "level the playing field" with theistic origin accounts. It's sort of a tortured logic, but my understanding of their strategy is to claim that non-theistic origins accounts (e.g. evolution) are just as "religious" as ID is, and should be taught side by side with religious myths in our schools. We all stand to lose a great deal when faced with such idiocy.

You are sidestepping the presumptive nature of your alleged "statement". It's not a statement at all but a vehicle to promote your hatreds and intolerance.

You're allowing your hate and intolerance to limit your ability to reach rational conclusions.

It's not surprising you limit yourself, but what you need to see is that by limiting yourself, you are not embracing knowledge, you are embracing a particular dogma. Knowledge is far broader than what has been written about your faith.

I am talking about the underlying principles of religion, specifically the Christian religion. It is fearful of real true knowledge-- it has made it man's primary sin and it has lauded faith over critical thinking. Believe because if you don't, you are condemned-- What did "he" say to the doubting Thomas? "Blessed are those who have not seen but believe"?

Of course. Because critical thinking and the evidence here points away from the religious claims. And for most of its history, the religious entities could not allow themselves to lose such all-encompassing power.
Please do not try to spoil this thread with gibberish. More simply put for your edification, the question is WHY DO ATHEISTS INSIST THAT ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION? Don't argue whether it is or isn't. If you don't understand the question, please refrain from posting in this thread.

Thanks for an honest answer. It seems a bit after the fact though. The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals has already said Atheism is legally a religion. I follow you in that if it is a religion, it is entitled to the same protections as other religions. I do not follow the thinking that if it is not a religion that religions currently protected will lose their protection in the future.

Is it part of the dogma of Atheism to remove constitutional protections from religion?

I'm sure there are multiple end-games from atheist groups. But you gotta assume if an atheist is legally activistic about it, they long to have religions removed from protected status eventually. Otherwise why not just be content in your disbelief and let other be content in their beliefs?

I'm areligious. I'm against all religions, but not deities. I'll believe in a deity when I shake it's hand. But religions are from people, not deities. As such, and devoid of scientific support for their assertions I'm against them. But I'm content to remain low-stress and not meddle in other people's delusions. That's a fulltime job and not one I'm likely to get paid for. :)

Forum List

Back