Why Do Atheists Insist That Atheism Is Not A Religion?

Would think that if it's considered legally a religion, then the very religions atheists are trying to get out of law will remain there along with themselves. Whereas if they insist it's not a religion, then religions protected by law will be less likely protected in the future.
Thanks for an honest answer. It seems a bit after the fact though. The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals has already said Atheism is legally a religion. I follow you in that if it is a religion, it is entitled to the same protections as other religions. I do not follow the thinking that if it is not a religion that religions currently protected will lose their protection in the future.

Is it part of the dogma of Atheism to remove constitutional protections from religion?

Your desperation in referencing the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals to promote your hate and intolerance is typical for fundie Christians.

What you don't understand is that the Supreme Court ultimately is the highest legal authority and has never made any such determination.

Additionally, you might want to take some time and actually understand the legal process embedded in US law. Here's a quick primer for you:

1. There are different branches of government.

2. There is a branch of government that makes law.

3. There is a branch of government that interprets the laws made by the branch of government noted in item 2.

Last edited:
QUOTE="asaratis, post: 9833155, member: 19762"]
You have predefined your agenda. You insist that atheism is a religion when none of the trappings of religious belief are held by those who conclude your gods are of myth and legend.
What part of "Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion" do you not understand? All that is of interest here is what Atheists think they will gain by having Atheism declared not to be a religion.
You presuppose your question with an obvious agenda.

Conclusions rejecting your gods is not a "religion". Therefore there is no concern. Atheism being declared not a religion is your presumptive option that it is a religion. And of course, it's not.

You have no need to be angry about others concluding your gods are of human invention, as are all the gods which preceded your gods.
You still do not understand the question. I am not using this thread to argue that Atheism is a religion. I am asking for statement of any benefits that Atheists expect to receive should we determine logically that it is NOT a religion.
You are sidestepping the presumptive nature of your alleged "statement". It's not a statement at all but a vehicle to promote your hatreds and intolerance.

You're allowing your hate and intolerance to limit your ability to reach rational conclusions.

It's not surprising you limit yourself, but what you need to see is that by limiting yourself, you are not embracing knowledge, you are embracing a particular dogma. Knowledge is far broader than what has been written about your faith.

I am talking about the underlying principles of religion, specifically the Christian religion. It is fearful of real true knowledge-- it has made it man's primary sin and it has lauded faith over critical thinking. Believe because if you don't, you are condemned-- What did "he" say to the doubting Thomas? "Blessed are those who have not seen but believe"?

Of course. Because critical thinking and the evidence here points away from the religious claims. And for most of its history, the religious entities could not allow themselves to lose such all-encompassing power.
Please do not try to spoil this thread with gibberish. More simply put for your edification, the question is WHY DO ATHEISTS INSIST THAT ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION? Don't argue whether it is or isn't. If you don't understand the question, please refrain from posting in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Please try to understand that your ranting has been addressed inn this thread and others where you repeat the same nonsense and have been soundly refuted.

Why does your religious belief cause you to promote your hate and intolerance?

Last edited:
...<snip>...

Please try to understand that your ranting has been addressed inn this thread and others where you repeat the same nonsense and have been soundly refuted.

Have you stopped beating your husband?:cuckoo:

Would think that if it's considered legally a religion, then the very religions atheists are trying to get out of law will remain there along with themselves. Whereas if they insist it's not a religion, then religions protected by law will be less likely protected in the future.
Thanks for an honest answer. It seems a bit after the fact though. The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals has already said Atheism is legally a religion. I follow you in that if it is a religion, it is entitled to the same protections as other religions. I do not follow the thinking that if it is not a religion that religions currently protected will lose their protection in the future.

Is it part of the dogma of Atheism to remove constitutional protections from religion?

I'm sure there are multiple end-games from atheist groups. But you gotta assume if an atheist is legally activistic about it, they long to have religions removed from protected status eventually. Otherwise why not just be content in your disbelief and let other be content in their beliefs?

I'm areligious. I'm against all religions, but not deities. I'll believe in a deity when I shake it's hand. But religions are from people, not deities. As such, and devoid of scientific support for their assertions I'm against them. But I'm content to remain low-stress and not meddle in other people's delusions. That's a fulltime job and not one I'm likely to get paid for. :)
Thanks.

Not to put words in your mouth, but it appears you see the Atheists as supporting and driving toward repealing the 1st Amendment. Is that a fair assessment?

...<snip>...

No. I haven't.

The real question is "why is it that virtually without exception, the only people claiming atheism is a religion are fundie Christians".

...<snip>...

Regarding your Sig,

"He that does not thank the guards is destined to die in his sleep at the hands of the enemy!"

I'd ammend it to,

He that does not support raising the minimum wage is destined to eat his fast food filled with saliva and mucous. :)

I'm sure there are multiple end-games from atheist groups. But you gotta assume if an atheist is legally activistic about it, they long to have religions removed from protected status eventually. Otherwise why not just be content in your disbelief and let other be content in their beliefs?

I'm areligious. I'm against all religions, but not deities. I'll believe in a deity when I shake it's hand. But religions are from people, not deities. As such, and devoid of scientific support for their assertions I'm against them. But I'm content to remain low-stress and not meddle in other people's delusions. That's a fulltime job and not one I'm likely to get paid for. :)
Thanks.

Not to put words in your mouth, but it appears you see the Atheists as supporting and driving toward repealing the 1st Amendment. Is that a fair assessment?

I wouldn't agree a repeal of the First Amendment is in any future of the USA. But some kind of adjustment isn't out of the realm of possibility. Just as limitations are placed on the 2nd, something similar for the 1st is possible as it's already been done. Freedom of religious expression isn't so absolute you can practice any bizarre ritual you want.

Thanks.

I wouldn't agree a repeal of the First Amendment is in any future of the USA. But some kind of adjustment isn't out of the realm of possibility. Just as limitations are placed on the 2nd, something similar for the 1st is possible as it's already been done. Freedom of religious expression isn't so absolute you can practice any bizarre ritual you want.

Would say in fact that the order of the Amendments is by design. 2nd coming after the 1st suggesting tom e that anyone who tries repealing the 1st be shot. :)

Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion, what benefits do Atheists expect to gain by having it declared not to be a religion?

Additionally, what harm comes to Atheists in having it declared to be a religion?

Please do not argue here whether or not Atheism is a religion.

Us atheists find it insulting to call atheism a religion.

First of all, there is nothing we say you have to take on faith. We also don't claim to have all the answers. Is science a religion? If it is, that would be our religion not atheism.

Calling us a religion gives religions too much credit. It's like debating people who deny global warming. To debate them suggests their points have merit.

Atheists don't like religion so we certainly don't want to be considered one. We are not a religion. We are anti religion.

Thanks.

Didn't Romney's grandfather leave the US and move to Mexico because he wanted multiple wives and he couldn't do it here?

And Catholic companies wanted to not pay for birth control but we could have mandated they have to. I think we found a way around doing that but it was an option.

Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion, what benefits do Atheists expect to gain by having it declared not to be a religion?

Additionally, what harm comes to Atheists in having it declared to be a religion?

What do you care? Why are you so worried and bothered about atheists?

The re
You have predefined your agenda. You insist that atheism is a religion when none of the trappings of religious belief are held by those who conclude your gods are of myth and legend.
What part of "Putting aside the question of whether it is or is not a religion" do you not understand? All that is of interest here is what Atheists think they will gain by having Atheism declared not to be a religion.
You presuppose your question with an obvious agenda.

Conclusions rejecting your gods is not a "religion". Therefore there is no concern. Atheism being declared not a religion is your presumptive option that it is a religion. And of course, it's not.

You have no need to be angry about others concluding your gods are of human invention, as are all the gods which preceded your gods.
You still do not understand the question. I am not using this thread to argue that Atheism is a religion. I am asking for statement of any benefits that Atheists expect to receive should we determine logically that it is NOT a religion.
You are sidestepping the presumptive nature of your alleged "statement". It's not a statement at all but a vehicle to promote your hatreds and intolerance.

You're allowing your hate and intolerance to limit your ability to reach rational conclusions.

It's not surprising you limit yourself, but what you need to see is that by limiting yourself, you are not embracing knowledge, you are embracing a particular dogma. Knowledge is far broader than what has been written about your faith.

I am talking about the underlying principles of religion, specifically the Christian religion. It is fearful of real true knowledge-- it has made it man's primary sin and it has lauded faith over critical thinking. Believe because if you don't, you are condemned-- What did "he" say to the doubting Thomas? "Blessed are those who have not seen but believe"?

Of course. Because critical thinking and the evidence here points away from the religious claims. And for most of its history, the religious entities could not allow themselves to lose such all-encompassing power.
Please do not try to spoil this thread with gibberish. More simply put for your edification, the question is WHY DO ATHEISTS INSIST THAT ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION? Don't argue whether it is or isn't. If you don't understand the question, please refrain from posting in this thread.
The thread itself is gibberish.

Because whether theists realize it or not, whether theists have the courage and honesty to acknowledge it or not, they understand on some level that their beliefs are irrational, unfounded, and wrong, and consequently seek to compel others to incorrectly perceive being free from faith as 'religion.'

Because whether theists realize it or not, whether theists have the courage and honesty to acknowledge it or not, they understand on some level that their beliefs are irrational, unfounded, and wrong, and consequently seek to compel others to incorrectly perceive being free from faith as 'religion.'

I hate it when theists say they are 100% sure god exists when we all know they are relying very heavily on faith.

There is a truth and reality independent of our desires. Faith simply reinforces your belief in what you would like to be true, rather than what really is.

In order to better understand this reality and discover the truth we must look for evidence outside ourselves.

Faith isn’t a virtue; it is the glorification of voluntary ignorance.

The existence and non-existence of a god are not equally probable outcomes. Thus, belief is not as valid a position as skepticism when dealing with unsupported or unfalsifiable claims. Agnostic atheism is the most rational position.

...<snip>...

No. I haven't.

The real question is "why is it that virtually without exception, the only people claiming atheism is a religion are fundie Christians".

Because they want to bring us down to their level of insanity.

BtlXXGbCcAAgYqS.jpg

'The real question is "why is it that virtually without exception, the only people claiming atheism is a religion are fundie Christians".'

The nonsense that those free from faith 'practice religion' is a manifestation of the arrogance common to most theists in general and fundamentalist Christians in particular.

Because it's not you jackalope it's the absence of religion. It is stuff like this that made me take a hiatus from this site.

An active belief that there is no deity is a religious belief. Agnosticism, not caring if there is a deity or not is closer to not being a religion than atheism.

"An active belief"?? That's heelarious.

lol, if atheism is a religion then the constitutional separation of church and state would dictate that both prayer and not saying a prayer would have to be banned from schools.

'The real question is "why is it that virtually without exception, the only people claiming atheism is a religion are fundie Christians".'

The nonsense that those free from faith 'practice religion' is a manifestation of the arrogance common to most theists in general and fundamentalist Christians in particular.

Saying Atheism is a religion or takes faith is actually point # 24 on my favorite site Why there is no god

Because it's not you jackalope it's the absence of religion. It is stuff like this that made me take a hiatus from this site.

An active belief that there is no deity is a religious belief. Agnosticism, not caring if there is a deity or not is closer to not being a religion than atheism.

"An active belief"?? That's heelarious.

lol, if atheism is a religion then the constitutional separation of church and state would dictate that both prayer and not saying a prayer would have to be banned from schools.

Just like it is illegal for a teacher to talk about god, isn't it illegal for a teacher to tell their students there is no god?

As an atheist I would say the teacher shouldn't be talking about this either way. Keep that shit out of our schools.

Forum List

Back