Why do liberals say secession is TREASON?

Because the states that decided to leave had a contract with other states in the Union. The Union gave them blood and treasure when they needed protection. One party of an agreement does not have the right to just quit the contract and agreement for some arbitrary or random reason.
Silly you.

Amendment 10.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

There's nothing in the constitution that prohibits a state from leaving and so the right to do so is reserved by the states.
They chose treason instead. Shooting at federal troops is treason in the manner that they did.
Secession in and of itself is not treason.

The Supremacy Clause prohibits a State from leaving because the Supremacy Clauses binds a State to compliance with federal/Constitutional law and secession represents an arbitrary repudiation of those obligations.

Additionally, people in a state are residents, but above that they are US citizens. US citizens are protected by the US Constitution and federal law in all rights and privileges coming from that law.

No state can arbitrarily revoke a US citizen's citizenship and thus deny that citizen the rights, privileges, and protections that come with that citizenship.

I have already exploded your idiotic "logic."

There's not the slightest shred of evidence that the Supremacy clause prevents a state from leaving, any more than a mortgage prevents you from selling your house. Federal laws are supreme over state laws only so long as that state is a member of the Union. If it chooses to leave, the supremacy clause no longer applies.

If a state secedes, anyone living there can choose to remain a U.S. citizen. However, he will be an alien resident in a foreign country.

The Supremacy Clause prevents a state from leaving legally because no state can leave without violating federal law.

I am a citizen living in the United States of America. My property is in the United States. No state can deprive me legally of my right to live as a US citizen on US soil. No state has the right to make me a foreigner in my own land.

The ability of the Southern states to simply leave was never really put up for debate because they declared war before the legal option was explored.

The people of the US always had the moral right to declare war against any government that allowed slavery.

The Confederate states never declared war and neither did the federal government. Lincoln simply invaded Virginia.

Virginia was still part of the United States wherein insurrection was occurring as it was all over the South. Lincoln had the duty and the right to put down an insurrection on US soil.

Title of the topic?
Secession.
Its not treason..
It might not be treason, but it ain't legal either.
10th Amendment.
Nothing in the constitution prohibits secession; the right is retained by the state.

The rights of a state not delineated in the Constitution can only apply to the internal affairs of a state, not their relationship with other states.

Secession doesn't affect the other states. The idea that you can't quit the club is absurd and totalitarian..

To you and the cult of Confederate denialists.

Yet the issue has been argued for over 100 years the idea a state can't just decide to leave the Union has been settled.

Except for nutball cult members like yourself.

It was "settled" by holding a gun to the head of every Southerner.

That's how left-wingers "settle" everything, isn't it?

The ability of the Southern states to simply leave was never really put up for debate because they declared war before the legal option was explored.

The people of the US always had the moral right to declare war against any government that allowed slavery.

The Confederate states never declared war and neither did the federal government. Lincoln simply invaded Virginia.

Virginia was still part of the United States wherein insurrection was occurring as it was all over the South. Lincoln had the duty and the right to put down an insurrection on US soil.

Wrong. Virginia had already seceded from the Union when Lincoln invaded it.

Secession is not an insurrection.

It should be obvious to anyone, that if a state wants to legally leave the union, then it would have to enter into some kind of agreements and treaties with the other states.
Based on.... what?
Perhaps you'd like to propose a constitutional amendment that creates a legal process for secession.
Perhaps you'd like to propose a constitutional amendment that allows gay marriage.

Secession was merely an illegal proclamation with no more weight than if you declared you'd seceded from your state and the United States and now your home was a new country.

Try it and find out what happens.

Liberals argue against the right of secession because they don't know American history and because most of them reject America's founding principles anyway. If this were 1776, most liberals would be siding with the British.
Secessionists are all full of shit, not one of them actually believes in any principle of secession. If they did they should have no problem with counties seceding from states.
Counties are political subdivisions of states, created by legislation by that state.
States are sovereign entities that elected to join the union, not political subdivisions created by congress.
Apples/oranges.
The states you speak of are not, and never have been, independent sovereign states.

Wrongo, numskull. The fact that they were is indisputable.

Secession was merely an illegal proclamation with no more weight than if you declared you'd seceded from your state and the United States and now your home was a new country.

Try it and find out what happens.

In other words, if I tell a mugger that the wallet in my back pocket is my property, it's only true if I can stop him from beating me into a pulp and then taking it.

That's liberal morality in a nutshell.

You and the rest of the Lincoln cult are nothing but a gang of vicious thugs.

It should be obvious to anyone, that if a state wants to legally leave the union, then it would have to enter into some kind of agreements and treaties with the other states.
Based on.... what?
Perhaps you'd like to propose a constitutional amendment that creates a legal process for secession.
So... based on.... nothing. Thank you.
Considerably more than you have now.
Please -- feel free to share.
Wouldn't a constitutional amendment legalizing a formal process for secession solve your problem?

Based on.... what?
So... based on.... nothing. Thank you.
Considerably more than you have now.
Please -- feel free to share.
Wouldn't a constitutional amendment legalizing a formal process for secession solve your problem?

Why weren't you proposing a Constitutional amendment to make gay marriage legal? Why don't you want to answer that question?

Liberals argue against the right of secession because they don't know American history and because most of them reject America's founding principles anyway. If this were 1776, most liberals would be siding with the British.
I don't think you really want to go down that track.

Forum List

Back