Why do people claim the military "risks their lives" to "protect our freedoms"?

It's all by chance and luck. Some are fortunate and lucky, and others aren't.

Right. You are so used to freedom you don't even realize it is there. I guess that is what happens when something is just handed to you. You never learn to value it.
Well, it's not "there", and I'm not use to anything close to it. Also, nothing has been handed to me. I've paid my dues, for many years. Oh, I value freedom, and fully understand what it is and what it means. The difference is, that I see and face reality instead of living in a fairy tale world, and accustom to how I'd like for it to be, as opposed to how it actually is. What dues have you paid?

I think you have no clue what it means, or you wouldn't think you don't have it. You apparently think it means you get to live your life without any kind of annoyance or possibility of unfairness. How horrible for you to exist under that sort of oppression. When the police take you and your family into the woods, shoot you in the back of the head and bury you in a mass grave, then you have cause for complaint. Right now, its just childish whining. Have fun with it. You live somewhere you can do that with no fear of being killed.
FYI - Police shoot and kill unarmed innocent people all the time. They brutalize people, and abuse their power and authority. They knock doors down and enter homes with no cause, and only in possession of a No-knock warrant. They detain innocent citizens, put them in hand cuffs, and put the in jail all the time. It's really come to the forefront in recent months, but has been going on for a long time. We now live in an age where cell phones are everywhere, and citizens are able to capture the actual events live and distribute them on the internet and allow various news media to air them on national TV. We have citizens detained at airports for no other reason than they look something like a person on some list. No, I'm not use to freedom. I do the same as most people, and that is watch what I do, where I go, and try not to have any contact with law enforcement. I understand the only difference between myself and those detained and brutalized, is the fact that I've been lucky and have managed to avoid situations where there might be a chance that things could go wrong. I've never ever had anything handed to me, never. I have paid my dues. You don't even know me, nor anything about me, yet you talk as though you've known me all of my life. Basically, you're like so many that can't discuss and debate issues without personal attacks and trying to turn the conversation on the person instead of keeping the conversation on the subject matter.

I don't care whether or not you have "paid your dues" and you most definitely have had something handed to you, you just don't recognize it. Of course police arrest innocent people and shoot unarmed people. They are human beings and human beings make mistakes. You see that as taking away your freedom, but it is just what happens in an imperfect world. That is a huge difference from a pogrom.

But I will ask you - name me one freedom you had before you don't have now. Or one you think we had before we don't have now.
Those "mistakes" happen way too often, by way too many members of law enforcement. No, I've never had anything handed to be. And, I recognize it all. Freedoms not freedoms any longer: (1) Freedom to travel unrestricted within the United States. (2) Freedom of the press. (3) Freedom of speech. (4) Freedom to peacefully assemble. (5) Freedom from search and seizure. (6) Free to have private communication. (7) Free to carry large sums of cash. (8) Freedom to enter public land ( national parks ) without restriction. (9) Freedom to be on public sidewalks ( homeless ), or in public parks ( homeless ). (10) Freedom to sell home grown produce, etc. without permits, and restrictions.

Do a little research and see exactly what I'm talking about. The above list applies to some states, not all. And, it applies to some cities, not all. ( By the way, U.S.M.C. 1967-1970 )

The Congress dumped that decision into Bush's lap, they gave Bush the decision for war if he, Bush, thought it necessary.
Negative. The Senate and House passed it and funded it.

CNN.com - Senate approves Iraq war resolution - Oct. 11 2002
The measure passed the Senate and House by wider margins than the 1991 resolution that empowered the current president's father to go to war to expel Iraq from Kuwait. That measure passed 250-183 in the House and 52-47 in the Senate.

The Congress dumped that decision into Bush's lap, they gave Bush the decision for war if he, Bush, thought it necessary.

The measure passed the Senate and House by wider margins than the 1991 resolution that empowered the current president's father to go to war to expel Iraq from Kuwait. That measure passed 250-183 in the House and 52-47 in the Senate.
The resolution gave Bush the authority to make the decision.

Bush pulled the trigger

Absolutely. If Congress had opposed it, he would not have been able to get funding to even have a war. Do people actually believe that the president is a like a "king" or something? His power is not absolute and he needs the approval of congress for many things.

Absolutely. If Congress had opposed it, he would not have been able to get funding to even have a war. Do people actually believe that the president is a like a "king" or something? His power is not absolute and he needs the approval of congress for many things.

Bush asked for the war and Bush pulled the trigger

LOL

He couldn't have done anything without approval from Congress. Do you know ANYTHING about how things are run?

He couldn't have done anything without approval from Congress. Do you know ANYTHING about how things are run?
Yes I know how things work

Bush wrapped Iraq up in patriotism and 9-11 hysteria. He still had his 9-11 card which granted him anything he wanted in fighting terrorism.
Congress failed to stop him, even though they should have. But the majority were too afraid to be labeled soft on terrorism and unpatriotic

The media also failed to ask critical questions about the reality of the threat and exit strategy

Bush wrapped Iraq up in patriotism and 9-11 hysteria. He still had his 9-11 card which granted him anything he wanted in fighting terrorism.
Congress failed to stop him, even though they should have. But the majority were too afraid to be labeled soft on terrorism and unpatriotic

The media also failed to ask critical questions about the reality of the threat and exit strategy

Right, at the time, they all were obviously in agreement.

Congress voted for the war but failed to stop Bush and the media was too soft on him?

10177870-audience-laughing-during-funny-movie-gettyimages.jpg

The country gave great trust and confidence to the President of the United States after the United States was attacked and thousands of it's citizens murdered by a well organized and powerful global religious terrorist organization. They were led to believe that this dangerous entity was being supported and protected by a recognized nation and government in Iraq. This country was known to have experience and a history with the use of weapons of mass destruction, including, at the least, radioactive dirty bombs and at worst, nuke's that could wipe out entire cities full of millions of citizens. The country was carefully led to believe horrible WMD's of biological and chemical nature's were potentially available to the enemy via Iraq and it's supportive and protective roll in regards to al Qaeda. The President told the American people about this supportive and protective relationship at his State of the Union Address immediately following the attacks on 9/11.
Bush lied. There was never a supportive and protective relationship. He made that up to trick and scam the American people into a war of choice. His choice. Worst decision and choice ever made by an American President. America will be paying for Bush's lie for decades into the future.

Congress voted for the war but failed to stop Bush and the media was too soft on him?

10177870-audience-laughing-during-funny-movie-gettyimages.jpg

I'll tell ya, that George W., he either has super powers or is a fucking genius! :lol:

The country gave great trust and confidence to the President of the United States after the United States was attacked and thousands of it's citizens murdered by a well organized and powerful global religious terrorist organization. They were led to believe that this dangerous entity was being supported and protected by a recognized nation and government in Iraq. This country was known to have experience and a history with the use of weapons of mass destruction, including, at the least, radioactive dirty bombs and at worst, nuke's that could wipe out entire cities full of millions of citizens. The country was carefully led to believe horrible WMD's of biological and chemical nature's were potentially available to the enemy via Iraq and it's supportive and protective roll in regards to al Qaeda. The President told the American people about this supportive and protective relationship at his State of the Union Address immediately following the attacks on 9/11.
Bush lied. There was never a supportive and protective relationship. He made that up to trick and scam the American people into a war of choice. His choice. Worst decision and choice ever made by an American President. America will be paying for Bush's lie for decades into the future.

He must be a fucking genius then. :D

All of those people who work for the government who are well-versed in foreign intrigue, war, etc., who would receive DAILY briefings about the state of the world, including Iraq, Iran, anyone who is a "problem" for the US. WOW! For George W. to be able to pull the wool over ALL OF THEIR EYES???? Incredible. :rolleyes-41:

He must be a fucking genius then. :D
You think lacking character and the willingness to be a blatant liar has something to do with intelligence?

I'll tell ya, that George W., he either has super powers or is a fucking genius! :lol:
Yep, he's the biggest idiot ever...but he managed to fool everybody. It's almost as if the left refuses to take responsibility for anything. :rolleyes-41:

Come on. For one, both houses were Republican at the time. And who would oppose him with the best GOP propaganda in history? Look at what they did with Ebola and Isis leading up to the last election. With 9/11, they were unstoppable.

I have never met one active, reserve or retired Military request or want "your thanks" what we deserve is your respect.

Forum List

Back