Why do polls show support for gay marriage, when the states keep rejecting it?

"...a new study suggests that opposition to same-sex marriage may be understated in public opinion polls. Using pre-election polling data in states that have voted on same-sex marriage measures, political scientist Richard J. Powell found that pre-election surveys consistently underestimated opposition to these laws by 5 to 7 percentage points."

"Social desirability bias in polling comes in many flavors. Perhaps the most well known is the “Bradley Effect,” named after former Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, a black man, who faced Republican George Deukmejian, who was white, in the 1982 California gubernatorial race. Bradley held a substantial lead in most pre-election polls, only to lose narrowly. His defeat fueled speculation that some white voters had given misleading answers to poll-takers, saying they supported Bradley or were undecided but really favored Deukmejian.

"But it wasn’t until 2007 that Harvard political scientist Daniel Hopkins confirmed the existence of the effect. He studied elections between 1989 and 2006 that pitted black and white Senate candidates against each other. He found that the black candidates polled better than their final share of the vote in contests with white candidates in elections through 1996. But the effect then vanished, for reasons that he said were unclear."

Study: Opposition to same-sex marriage may be understated in public opinion polls | Pew Research Center

Queers and homosexual marriage will always be wrong, despicable, and revolting. If the majority of Americans start to believe otherwise it doesn't change the fact that its wrong, it just says a lot about how far America has gone downhill in terms of morality.

Nobody likes fags, even liberals. They'll be the first to accuse anyone who isn't onboard with their agenda of being a closet homo. But, they are willing to pretend they do like them just to promote chaos and disorder, and in order to undo the moral fabric of society. Chaos and immorality only help the progressive agenda, and the agenda always comes first.

And here we have a prime example of the fear, ignorance, and hate common to most on the right – with a hefty dose of stupidity for good measure.

Queers and homosexual marriage will always be wrong, despicable, and revolting. If the majority of Americans start to believe otherwise it doesn't change the fact that its wrong, it just says a lot about how far America has gone downhill in terms of morality.

Nobody likes fags, even liberals. They'll be the first to accuse anyone who isn't onboard with their agenda of being a closet homo. But, they are willing to pretend they do like them just to promote chaos and disorder, and in order to undo the moral fabric of society. Chaos and immorality only help the progressive agenda, and the agenda always comes first.

Well, that was fun. Fact free, but fun. I assume you are a bastion of morality, what?

No I am not a bastion of morality, I guess you think someone has to be in order to express a contrary opinion?

Carry on, dipshit.

Not at all. Tsk, tsk, so touchy.

Sag mal, geht's noch, oder bist Du immer so unhöflich? Hmmmmm...
(You doing ok, or are you always so impolite?)

In the long run, this isn't about 'marriage equality'...

It's about legitimizing and mainstreaming homosexuality...

Those who already understand this oppose it...

Those who do not yet understand it will eventually come to that understanding...

Mostly after they've had children of their own...

And contemplate grandchildren...

And reach the conclusion that they don't want that degenerate shit around their kids, either...

And come to the sad conclusion that Mom and Dad were right about such depravity, after all...

Nope, most people don't find anything wrong with homosexuality at all.

No most people tolerate it....That isnt the same as finding nothing wrong with it.

Why is megadeth so gay?

Megadeth means queer in greek .

neither are constitutional rights but liberals have no problem claiming the will of the people when it suits their agenda.

just like the far right reactionaries or conservatives when it suits their strategy

I don't reacall republicans trying to change the constitution

well except for things like giving blacks rights and freedoms and stuff like that
might wanna rethink that
Ever since President Obama entered office, Republicans have called for constitutional freedoms of our constitutional government to be repealed by amendment. A few examples:

1. REPEALING CITIZENSHIP: Numerous GOP lawmakers, including their Senate leader and the most-recent Republican candidate for president, are backing a “review” of the 14th Amendment’s grant of citizenship to virtually all persons born within the United States.

2. REPEALING CONGRESS’ POWER TO RAISE MONEY: Tea Party Republicans are calling for a full repeal of the 16th Amendment, the amendment which enables the INCOME TAX. Wouldn't it be impossible to function as a nation if America lacked the power to raise the money it needs to pay our armed forces, for example.

3. REPEALING CONGRESS’ POWER TO SPEND MONEY: The Constitution gives Congress power to “provide for the common defense and general welfare,” which means, in my view, the authority to create federal spending programs such as Social Security. For example, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK), recently called upon the Supreme Court to rewrite the Constitution’s clear language and repeal parts of the budget he doesn’t like. A Texas GOP even went so far as to claim that the federal highway system is unconstitutional.

4. REPEALING EQUALITY: The Constitution entitles all persons to “equal protection of the laws,” This in my opinion include the rights of Gay Marriage and until it is ruled illegal like Polygamy, it should be noted.

5. REPEALING ELECTION OF SENATORS: A number of GOP candidates have come out in favor of repealing the 17th Amendment, the provision of the Constitution which requires direct election of senators.

just like the far right reactionaries or conservatives when it suits their strategy

well except for things like giving blacks rights and freedoms and stuff like that
might wanna rethink that
Ever since President Obama entered office, Republicans have called for constitutional freedoms of our constitutional government to be repealed by amendment. A few examples:

1. REPEALING CITIZENSHIP: Numerous GOP lawmakers, including their Senate leader and the most-recent Republican candidate for president, are backing a “review” of the 14th Amendment’s grant of citizenship to virtually all persons born within the United States.

2. REPEALING CONGRESS’ POWER TO RAISE MONEY: Tea Party Republicans are calling for a full repeal of the 16th Amendment, the amendment which enables the INCOME TAX. Wouldn't it be impossible to function as a nation if America lacked the power to raise the money it needs to pay our armed forces, for example.

3. REPEALING CONGRESS’ POWER TO SPEND MONEY: The Constitution gives Congress power to “provide for the common defense and general welfare,” which means, in my view, the authority to create federal spending programs such as Social Security. For example, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK), recently called upon the Supreme Court to rewrite the Constitution’s clear language and repeal parts of the budget he doesn’t like. A Texas GOP even went so far as to claim that the federal highway system is unconstitutional.

4. REPEALING EQUALITY: The Constitution entitles all persons to “equal protection of the laws,” This in my opinion include the rights of Gay Marriage and until it is ruled illegal like Polygamy, it should be noted.

5. REPEALING ELECTION OF SENATORS: A number of GOP candidates have come out in favor of repealing the 17th Amendment, the provision of the Constitution which requires direct election of senators.

please, how many years did this country not only exist but expand and succeed with out an income tax? what the tea party is saying which you are obviously clueless about is the abusive spending and misuse of tax dollars.

republicans never tried to repeal equality. they have always agreed with the constitution on equality as it applies to marriage. it clearly defines that the rights belong to the states to decide. and yes that gives individual state the right to determine if they will support rights of gays to marry in their state. loud and clear the State has the right to decide. when the republicans got involved it was after courts defied the constitution and over ruled State decisions to prohibit. same sex marriage.

I see you have joined the ranks of a liberal spin doctor on this one.

might wanna rethink that

please, how many years did this country not only exist but expand and succeed with out an income tax? what the tea party is saying which you are obviously clueless about is the abusive spending and misuse of tax dollars.

republicans never tried to repeal equality. they have always agreed with the constitution on equality as it applies to marriage. it clearly defines that the rights belong to the states to decide. and yes that gives individual state the right to determine if they will support rights of gays to marry in their state. loud and clear the State has the right to decide. when the republicans got involved it was after courts defied the constitution and over ruled State decisions to prohibit. same sex marriage.

When it came to pushing DOMA, Republicans had no problems with setting marriage laws at the federal level. Now that DOMA is history they claim marriage was a state right all along

Human rights, I dig. Gay and "rights" go together like military and intelligence…. “Gay” is a politicized made up word for broken sexuality. Homosexuality is a dysfunction, a handicap , it's not the optimal function of human physiology. Most of us know it isn't equitable to heterosexuality. Perhaps I am not addressing the topic on this board, I am addressing a broader and more important point: homosexuality isn’t the same as heterosexuality.

Last edited:
might wanna rethink that

When it came to pushing DOMA, Republicans had no problems with setting marriage laws at the federal level. Now that DOMA is history they claim marriage was a state right all along

do you mean the law that passed both houses of congress with partisan support and was signed into law by the democratic president bill Clinton? That republican law?

do you mean the law that passed both houses of congress with partisan support and was signed into law by the democratic president bill Clinton? That republican law?

Yup, that law that our GOP congress forced on the president and the American people.

Look up the latest polling, particularly for those under forty.

Heterosexual only marriage is dead man walking.

might wanna rethink that

can you say the word dodge?I knew you could..

Yup, that law that our GOP congress forced on the president and the American people.

forced with overwhelming democratic support in congress - both houses and the democratic president signed

forced with overwhelming democratic support in congress - both houses and the democratic president signed

The House and the Senate were controlled by the GOP, as you well know.

And things have changed in more than 15 years. Good on that.

might wanna rethink that

yea dodged . a couple of congressmen comment that the senate was better off under THE ORIGINAL PROVISIONS of the Constitution. no legislation was passed. excuse me, no legislation was even introduced. Spin a little more you partisan hack. you have no frigging argument at all.

so you are saying the 118 democratic congressmen who voted for it have no mind of their own? the president has no mind of his own?

yea dodged . a couple of congressmen comment that the senate was better off under THE ORIGINAL PROVISIONS of the Constitution. no legislation was passed. excuse me, no legislation was even introduced. Spin a little more you partisan hack. you have no frigging argument at all.
false! that would be you...the FF knew the constitution would of necessity be amended, provisions changed to fit a ever changing world.

with the help of the majority of the democrats in both the house and senate

so you are saying the 118 democratic congressmen who voted for it have no mind of their own? the president has no mind of his own?
oh no !not the no mind of their own or it's twin thinking for yourself ploys!
it's been my experience that people who use those "phrases" lack the use of each.

with the help of the majority of the democrats in both the house and senate
call the waaaaabulance.

Forum List

Back