🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why do taxpayers pay for conventions ?

Timmy

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
as we have seen this year the parties selection process is not as democratic as u would think . Why do they receive millions in taxpayer funds just to pick their guys ?

I just found a link to convention costs , never mind all the primary expenses . Shouldn't they foot their own bill?

Who Pays for the Political Conventions?

American taxpayers help pay for the political conventions held every four years by both the Republican and Democratic national committees. The conventions cost tens of millions of dollars and are put on even though there have been no brokered conventions and every presidential nominee in modern history has been chosen well beforehand.

Taxpayers directly contributed $18,248,300 million to the Republican and Democratic national committees, or a total of $36.5 million, to hold their presidential nominating conventions in Election 2012.

In addition, Congress set aside $50 million for security at each of the party conventions in 2012, for a total of $100 million. The total cost to taxpayers of the two national party conventions in 2012 exceeded $136 million.

In addition, Congress set aside $50 million for security at each of the party conventions in 2012, for a total of $100 million. The total cost to taxpayers of the two national party conventions in 2012 exceeded $136 million.

And in non contested years (like all time ) , they are really pointless .

How about the costs of state run primaries ?

as we have seen this year the parties selection process is not as democratic as u would think . Why do they receive millions in taxpayer funds just to pick their guys ?

I just found a link to convention costs , never mind all the primary expenses . Shouldn't they foot their own bill?

American taxpayers help pay for the political conventions held every four years by both the Republican and Democratic national committees. The conventions cost tens of millions of dollars and are put on even though there have been no brokered conventions and every presidential nominee in modern history has been chosen well beforehand.

Taxpayers directly contributed $18,248,300 million to the Republican and Democratic national committees, or a total of $36.5 million, to hold their presidential nominating conventions in Election 2012.

It's the same reason we pay for the lavish vacations of Obama and company.

Deal with it.

Where the Money Comes From
The taxpayer subsidies for political conventions come through the Presidential Election Campaign Fund. The account is funded by taxpayers who choose to contribute $3 to it by checking a box on the federal income tax returns. About 33 million taxpayers contribute to the fund every year, according to the Federal Election Commission.

:lol:

So a leftist finally found something he didn't want his money going to.

The gop convention.

Next thing you know he won't want his money going to mostly white schools unless they accept government checks from kids that get bused there from some shitty school they don't want to go to.

need some catchy name for that check, like 'buser' or 'voucher'.

ok, had my fun

you're right, not everyone is in a party and we shouldn't be paying for conventions. We should limit the power of the Federal government so they can't force this on us.

this has been going on for decades and it's the first most of us heard of it.

ok, had my fun

you're right, not everyone is in a party and we shouldn't be paying for conventions. We should limit the power of the Federal government so they can't force this on us.

Taxpayers willfully contribute 100m every year

ok, had my fun

if someone wants to give money to a party, they need to be ok with whatever the party does with it.

I'm a member of The Rents To Damn High Party Over Here, and shouldn't be paying for the rnc-dnc, they just aren't fly enough

It's the same reason we pay for the lavish vacations of Obama and company.

Deal with it.

NOPE!

The Presidents always pay for their own vacations....they pay for their own lodging, their own food, their own vacation activities, and pay for all family and all friends that come along, if any....

they even pay the price of what ''airfare'' costs would be in the Private sector if they were flying on a commercial airlines to and from vacation spots...

What our Presidents don't pay for when they take a vacation, is the security the US Govt's Secret Service has determined is needed to ''protect'' these Presidents and their family's lives.

This just might be one of the craziest threads on the interwebs. The whole of the basic premise astounds like few other arguments have.

Cities fight over having an opportunity to host a national convention. We are talking about Presidential politics. What's next -- why should we pay to hold general elections? :cuckoo: We pay for security for each candidate. Should we not do that too? With freedoms and liberties comes great responsibilities. Some of those responsibilities involved putting up or shutting up.

I didn't know this- thanks for sharing.

Absolutely no reason why either the GOP or the DEmocrats should get these subsidies.

A better question would be "Why bother having a convention when the establishment rigs the results?"

ok, had my fun

if someone wants to give money to a party, they need to be ok with whatever the party does with it.

I'm a member of The Rents To Damn High Party Over Here, and shouldn't be paying for the rnc-dnc, they just aren't fly enough
I have never noticed that on my returns. I would be ego those corrupt fucks a
This just might be one of the craziest threads on the interwebs. The whole of the basic premise astounds like few other arguments have.

Cities fight over having an opportunity to host a national convention. We are talking about Presidential politics. What's next -- why should we pay to hold general elections? :cuckoo: We pay for security for each candidate. Should we not do that too? With freedoms and liberties comes great responsibilities. Some of those responsibilities involved putting up or shutting up.
so you think it's cool the people pay for this bull hit when their votes don't even count?
Besides they donate.. Goddamn, did anybody read the link passed the second paragraph?

If taxpayers are paying for these conventions, their voice needs to be heard over that of the establishment..
When we have Super delegates making a difference in an election, it's wrong. When states cancel the primaries and announce a winner by the vote of RNC members, it's wrong. This is not what out founding fathers intended.

If taxpayers are paying for these conventions, their voice needs to be heard over that of the establishment..
When we have Super delegates making a difference in an election, it's wrong. When states cancel the primaries and announce a winner by the vote of RNC members, it's wrong. This is not what out founding fathers intended.
Your post reminds of the arguments of people saying to Law Enforcement "We pay your salaries" as if the LE officers are not tax payers themselves.

The establishment are voters too. I would go so far as to say they are better citizens, because of their involvement during all the years in between the four years. Every four years out of the blue, people like you show up and pout, shout, and scream. It may be your right, but your lack of commitment and involvement in the political process, where the often difficult and hard work goes on, leaves you with little credibility to argue who should and should not be heard.

so you think it's cool the people pay for this bull hit when their votes don't even count?
Besides they donate.. Goddamn, did anybody read the link passed the second paragraph?
votes count, just not in the way you childishly demand they should
You mean like the majority picking their representative? Lol moron
The majority does pick their representatives. In a party, the majority of the party, gets to set the rules on how a nominee is selected. You are confusing selecting a nominee of a party, with a general election.

you fail basic Civics 101

Forum List

Back