Why do television shows have the actors smoke in every scene?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yeah....we know, back in history times more people smoked....they smoked all the time, they smoked a lot......because they didn't realize the harm. But why....why, must every actor on these television shows about those periods of time have to have them smoke in every scene? From Madmen, to Peaky Blinders, to The Crown, Suicide Blonde, True Detective.......they smoke and smoke and smoke......

And yet the hollywood SJWs say smoking is bad and push those stupid commericals about "telling the truth" about smoking....

There is no need to show the smoking, I find it distracting since smoking is so distasteful to me......

Yeah....we know, back in history times more people smoked....they smoked all the time, they smoked a lot......because they didn't realize the harm. But why....why, must every actor on these television shows about those periods of time have to have them smoke in every scene? From Madmen, to Peaky Blinders, to The Crown, Suicide Blonde, True Detective.......they smoke and smoke and smoke......

And yet the hollywood SJWs say smoking is bad and push those stupid commericals about "telling the truth" about smoking....

There is no need to show the smoking, I find it distracting since smoking is so distasteful to me......

All of the shows you've listed are historical shows.

If you look at shows based in the present, you'll see that almost no one smokes on TV anymore.

Yep, TheDoctor is right. If you watch a modern show like The Good Doctor, or Elementary, or any other show that is based in current times, the smoking is little to non existent.

But, if you are watching period dramas, yes, they include all the smoking because that is the way they did things back then.

Shoot, I have seen video of national news anchors smoking while reporting.

Why would the actors in shows about periods where many people smoked, smoke?

Yep, TheDoctor is right. If you watch a modern show like The Good Doctor, or Elementary, or any other show that is based in current times, the smoking is little to non existent.

But, if you are watching period dramas, yes, they include all the smoking because that is the way they did things back then.

I don't think I've ever seen footage of Edward R. Murrow without a cigarette in his hand or mouth.

I don't think I've ever seen footage of Edward R. Murrow without a cigarette in his hand or mouth.

If you just look up images of him, most have him with a cigarette. :)

They smoke for the same reason they drive land yachts. It establishes the period.

Why would the actors in shows about periods where many people smoked, smoke?

Well.....for the actors health...for one.....considering each scene you see the actor lights up a cigarette.......they shoot that scene a dozen or more times...that is a dozen or more times they are smoking, in one scene.....

I am surprised that they haven't had their union go after this unsafe work place requirement......

Do we have to watch them all go to the bathroom too? They all went to the bathroom, they all burped and farted too...why not show that as well.

There is no need to have them all smoking, it adds nothing to the story.

Poor Cilian Murphy, you can hear how hoarse his voice is after smoking in every scene....

All of the shows you've listed are historical shows.

If you look at shows based in the present, you'll see that almost no one smokes on TV anymore.

Glad you know what those shows are never heard of them, I have not watched must television these past years and I don't remember much of anyone smoking on television shows since the 1980s ...except for Johnny Carson or David Letterman..

Cuz they can?

They smoke for the same reason they drive land yachts. It establishes the period.

No....the clothes and set establish the scene...there is no reason to force those actors to smoke cancer causing products....

Again, why haven't they sued the production companies, the producers and directors...

We are constantly scolded about smoking.....and yet here they are, demanding these people smoke....

Chefs smoke like chimneys. Those cooking shows..like Hells Kitchen...wow. Now imagine them prepping your food, lol.

No....the clothes and set establish the scene...there is no reason to force those actors to smoke cancer causing products....

Again, why haven't they sued the production companies, the producers and directors...

We are constantly scolded about smoking.....and yet here they are, demanding these people smoke....
How do you know they are not already smokers when not on the set?

How do you know they are not already smokers when not on the set?

They may be....but cigarettes are a known carcinogenic product.....any other product like that on any other work site would be grounds for OSHA to come in and shut you down....

If the role calls for smoking, that'll be in the contract. Can't really sue about it.

Jon Hamm smoked herbal cigarettes on Mad Men - he doesn't smoke in real life - but I don't know about other actors.

You DO realize that if an actor was concerned about something like that, they could simply ask for a vape pen that looks like a cigarette. I've seen vape pens in CO that are loaded with THC oils that looked like cigarettes, and when you puffed on it, a light at the end (the red one looked like a glowing ash) would light up while you drew on it.

Why are you so bent out of shape about this 2AGuy?

Forum List

Back