Why does a law abiding citizen need to 3D print a gun instead of buying one?

Guns are legal to buy. Why should you be able to make one using a 3D printer unless you're a criminal?
Because a 3D metal printer can cost thousands of dollars; and the plastic printed guns look ridiculous, and likewise their 3D printers can be prohibitively expensive.

It’s quicker, easier, and cheaper to buy a gun from a dealer – and you’ll end up with a far superior firearm.
yes, ......to make a reliable pistol, you would need a 3D printer that cost a lot more than a standard pistol.....???

The link below has a 3D printed gun – yours for just $11,000.

https://3dprint.com/139537/3d-printed-guns/

Yep. That was a few years ago. Guess what...the cost of metal 3D printers has come down a bit. And they will continue to drop.
but you can get good pistols for $350/etc..that's not a drop

Which is true, but you ignore the fact that I buy the printer, and then multiple people pay me to make their parts. It amortizes out PDQ.

Yep. That was a few years ago. Guess what...the cost of metal 3D printers has come down a bit. And they will continue to drop.

Which is true, but you ignore the fact that I buy the printer, and then multiple people pay me to make their parts. It amortizes out PDQ.
hahahahahaha-you don't think I thought of that??
then you have to get a license/etc to sell the weapons....yes?
that's a whole different subject/aspect

Nope. If you are merely making parts, and not assembling them, there is no requirement for a license.

Nope. If you are merely making parts, and not assembling them, there is no requirement for a license.
making or selling??
kind of hard for me to believe these printers would make reliable parts for pistols--where you have ''close'' tolerances ..it's not like you are making an umbrella
do they?

Never heard of it......................Looking at a gun in person is 3D enough for me.............

But there are notable exceptions. Frames or receivers – essentially housing for the internal parts of a gun – are considered by the ATF to be firearms, so sales of these types of items are federally regulated
Rules for Selling Gun Parts

But there are notable exceptions. Frames or receivers – essentially housing for the internal parts of a gun – are considered by the ATF to be firearms, so sales of these types of items are federally regulated
Rules for Selling Gun Parts

Didn't read it did ya... I highlighted the relevant part for you. I can manufacture EVERYTHING and sell it...except for the receiver. That's it. The frame?receiver (means the same thing) is the only regulated part. Makers spaces will rent out the 3D printer to people so they can make their own designs. Like I said, 3D printers have changed the world.

"The ATF has made it clear that it does not have the authority to regulate firearm parts and accessories, which cover a wide variety of items. But there are notable exceptions. Frames or receivers – essentially housing for the internal parts of a gun – are considered by the ATF to be firearms, so sales of these types of items are federally regulated. What's more, certain parts of silencers and machine guns are also regulated as firearms under the Gun Control Act and National Firearms Act. If you're caught dealing these parts without a federal license, you can face up to five years in prison, a maximum $250,000 fine or both."

kind of hard for me to believe these printers would make reliable parts for pistols--where you have ''close'' tolerances ..it's not like you are making an umbrella
do they?

Many NASCAR teams have their own, huge 3-D printers they use to manufacture their own engine blocks to minute specifications. Way too expensive for a private person to make gun parts but, 20 years ago I couldn't have afforded the phone or 6' Sony, Smart TV I have today either.

The 3-D guns made today are not as reliable as it's real counterpart but, they're coming.

Last edited:

making or selling??
do they?

I guess you really don't know what you're talking about. 3D printing can make things with far more precision than your standard machinist can.

Rolls-Royce plans 3D printing for jet engine parts

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

making or selling??
do they?

I guess you really don't know what you're talking about. 3D printing can make things with far more precision than your standard machinist can.

hahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahah
??????????????????????????????????????
we are talking about what YOU can afford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what expensive 3D printers can do

making or selling??
do they?

here I am trying to discuss civilly and you are being a jackass
FU
Didn't read it did ya... I highlighted the relevant part for you. I can manufacture EVERYTHING and sell it.
you said what YOU could manufacture--not Rolls Royce...get it????!!!
the printer YOU could afford would be worthless crap

Forum List

Back