Why does Congress insist on destroying the Postal Service?

The biggest slap Congress has delivered to the USPS, though, is a 2006 decision to make the agency pre-fund its pensions for 75 years, an onerous burden not required of any other government agency, let alone adopted by any private company. Most of the USPS's losses are caused by this requirement. The other factor is the steady decline in First Class mail, as more people use the internet for routine correspondence.

The Postal Service keeps on coming up with plans to make itself profitable, or a least less unprofitable, and Congress keeps saying no or ignoring the USPS's structural issues

Close the USPS, let UPS and fedex do it. They seem to know how to deliver things all over the world and still make a profit.

Will they deliver a letter from my house to my cousins house in California for 49 cents?

It depends on where he lives. If he lives in or near the city in a safe neighborhood, they would probably charge less. If they live out in the middle of nowhere, then it will probably cost more. Or, more likely, they won't get it delivered to their door. They'll have to go to a FEDEX/UPS facility to pick up their mail.

My 85-year old mother is the only one I know who still sends letters. Soon, USPS will only be utilized by junk mail. I hardly think that's a reason for a bloated and costly bureaucracy.

Years ago, I got all my bills and letters and junk mail from the USPS. Today, I get only junk mail from the USPS. It waste paper and is environmentally unfriendly. I think it is time to rethink the USPS, and how it conducts business. It reminds me of IBM, it failed to change.

Congress will not allow the Postal Service to change with the times

and to prove that....they put together a "Committee" of Congress people to do something about what is happening with their budget problems.....Dickhead Issa is the head of it.....3 years now and all they have accomplished is naming 15 PO's around the Country....

The constitution ALLOWS for the postal service.. but it is more of a drain on the government and our country than ever.. it has become the same as it's parent (the federal government) full of red tape, multi-levels of shit, useless expenses and high spending, and about as clueless to what is needed as can be

If it is to be kept, it should be audited, streamlined, and made to be competitive with the private sector offerings WITHOUT being fed money from taxpayers.. if it cannot be, efforts should be made to retire it, just as other government agencies have been retired or modified in the past... hell, MANY agencies should be retired, but that is another story

WITHOUT being fed money from taxpayers.

can you prove that?.....
HD is defending the USPS from reactionary PC right wing poo: DD's assertions have no merit and smell, as they should.

Government = service Business = profit Privatization of USPS will fail to SERVE all citizens

The unreasonable retirement requirements should be made in line with private industry.

little value today?.....stop the mail tomorrow and the rest of the week.....lets see how business reacts.....

The mail doesn't have to be delivered by the Post Office. If government allowed it, 500 companies would spring up tomorrow to deliver First Class mail.

At $1 a letter or more

I believe I'd be willing to pay that IF I could feel certain my letter would be delivered to the address on the envelope AND within a reasonable time. A 10X refund for late delivery would be the cherry on the whipped cream.

99% of my mail is junk

fix that first and the USPS might stay alive

If private firms were allowed to deliver the mail, they could provide services like screening out junk mail. The Post Office has to deliver this trash by law.

this from a man who hero worships confederates who wanted the country destroyed?

Lincoln destroyed the country, moron. What does the Post Office have to do with the Confederacy?

If private firms were allowed to deliver the mail, they could provide services like screening out junk mail. The Post Office has to deliver this trash by law.

this from a man who hero worships confederates who wanted the country destroyed?

Lincoln destroyed the country, moron. What does the Post Office have to do with the Confederacy?

it has to do with you talking out of both sides of your two faces.

little value today?.....stop the mail tomorrow and the rest of the week.....lets see how business reacts.....

The mail doesn't have to be delivered by the Post Office. If government allowed it, 500 companies would spring up tomorrow to deliver First Class mail.

At $1 a letter or more

Based on what? Since when has the government ever managed to provide any service cheaper than the private sector?

The biggest slap Congress has delivered to the USPS, though, is a 2006 decision to make the agency pre-fund its pensions for 75 years, an onerous burden not required of any other government agency, let alone adopted by any private company. Most of the USPS's losses are caused by this requirement. The other factor is the steady decline in First Class mail, as more people use the internet for routine correspondence.

The Postal Service keeps on coming up with plans to make itself profitable, or a least less unprofitable, and Congress keeps saying no or ignoring the USPS's structural issues

Close the USPS, let UPS and fedex do it. They seem to know how to deliver things all over the world and still make a profit.

UPS uses the post office to deliver their packages for the final step. I have gotten many UPS packages that are delivered to my local PO who then delivers them to my house. If UPS could deliver them the final step for less than the PO they would, so if you abolish the PO you will pay more to have UPS deliver from door to door.

Fed-X does the same thing....

In other words, nothing.

You must be suffering some major butthurt over having the truth about your tyrant hero, Abraham Lincoln, rammed down your throat.

In other words, nothing.

You must be suffering some major butthurt over having the truth about your tyrant hero, Abraham Lincoln, rammed down your throat.

as normal you too stupid to see a obvious point.....You cant be taken seriously because you wish the country was destroyed by slave owning democrats.

USPS is a dinosaur and has little value today and will have even less in the future. The constitution empowers Congress to create it, but does not mandate its existence.

and would you want have 500 guys with a key to your box?...it is not hard to take a small package from a box....who would you blame if a package that service A claims they delivered was no longer in your box after 10 other "carriers" also were there?....that is the main reason only one Company delivers to locked boxes.....or unlocked for that matter...

In other words, nothing.

as normal you too stupid to see a obvious point.....You cant be taken seriously because you wish the country was destroyed by slave owning democrats.

Lincoln destroyed the country, moron. Secession didn't destroy anything other than Lincoln's totalitarian fantasies.

Will they deliver a letter from my house to my cousins house in California for 49 cents?

It depends on where he lives. If he lives in or near the city in a safe neighborhood, they would probably charge less. If they live out in the middle of nowhere, then it will probably cost more. Or, more likely, they won't get it delivered to their door. They'll have to go to a FEDEX/UPS facility to pick up their mail.

Very true....FEDEX/UPS will get to cherry pick who and when they deliver mail.....something by law, that USPS can't do

and would you want have 500 guys with a key to your box?...it is not hard to take a small package from a box....who would you blame if a package that service A claims they delivered was no longer in your box after 10 other "carriers" also were there?....that is the main reason only one Company delivers to locked boxes.....or unlocked for that matter...

No, the reason is that the federal government granted them a monopoly. Whichever company you contracted with to deliver your mail would have the key to your box.

Pretty simple solution, don't you think?

Very true....FEDEX/UPS will get to cherry pick who and when they deliver mail.....something by law, that USPS can't do

Does FEDEX "cherry pick" which packages they deliver? Is there anyone on the entire planet who can't get a package delivered by FEDEX?

99% of my mail is junk

fix that first and the USPS might stay alive

i seriously doubt that.....do you realize how many billions of Dollars the "Junk" Mail industry generates yearly?...its one of the reasons so many want to deliver the stuff....

Forum List

Back