Why does Congress insist on destroying the Postal Service?

It depends on where he lives. If he lives in or near the city in a safe neighborhood, they would probably charge less. If they live out in the middle of nowhere, then it will probably cost more. Or, more likely, they won't get it delivered to their door. They'll have to go to a FEDEX/UPS facility to pick up their mail.

Very true....FEDEX/UPS will get to cherry pick who and when they deliver mail.....something by law, that USPS can't do

Does FEDEX "cherry pick" which packages they deliver? Is there anyone on the entire planet who can't get a package delivered by FEDEX?

so what?

The mail doesn't have to be delivered by the Post Office. If government allowed it, 500 companies would spring up tomorrow to deliver First Class mail.

At $1 a letter or more

I believe I'd be willing to pay that IF I could feel certain my letter would be delivered to the address on the envelope AND within a reasonable time. A 10X refund for late delivery would be the cherry on the whipped cream.

Does UPS or Fedex offer you a 10x refund?

It depends on where he lives. If he lives in or near the city in a safe neighborhood, they would probably charge less. If they live out in the middle of nowhere, then it will probably cost more. Or, more likely, they won't get it delivered to their door. They'll have to go to a FEDEX/UPS facility to pick up their mail.

Very true....FEDEX/UPS will get to cherry pick who and when they deliver mail.....something by law, that USPS can't do

Does FEDEX "cherry pick" which packages they deliver? Is there anyone on the entire planet who can't get a package delivered by FEDEX?

Will FedEx deliver to your house in Podunk ND six days a week or will they call you and tell you where to pick up your package?

99% of my mail is junk

fix that first and the USPS might stay alive

If private firms were allowed to deliver the mail, they could provide services like screening out junk mail. The Post Office has to deliver this trash by law.

i seriously doubt that.....do you realize how many billions of Dollars the "Junk" Mail industry generates yearly?...its one of the reasons so many want to deliver the stuff....

If people were willing to pay to have it screened out, then some private delivery service would be happy to do it.

The constitution ALLOWS for the postal service.. but it is more of a drain on the government and our country than ever.. it has become the same as it's parent (the federal government) full of red tape, multi-levels of shit, useless expenses and high spending, and about as clueless to what is needed as can be

If it is to be kept, it should be audited, streamlined, and made to be competitive with the private sector offerings WITHOUT being fed money from taxpayers.. if it cannot be, efforts should be made to retire it, just as other government agencies have been retired or modified in the past... hell, MANY agencies should be retired, but that is another story

WITHOUT being fed money from taxpayers.

can you prove that?.....
HD is defending the USPS from reactionary PC right wing poo: DD's assertions have no merit and smell, as they should.

Government = service Business = profit Privatization of USPS will fail to SERVE all citizens

The unreasonable retirement requirements should be made in line with private industry.

i dont think Dave is that bad Jake.....but being that i just may be the only person in this thread who has actually been "inside" and seen how things are.....i may just know a little more than most here......

Will FedEx deliver to your house in Podunk ND six days a week or will they call you and tell you where to pick up your package?

It depends on how far your house is from the nearest FEDEX office. If you live 50 miles from the nearest postal office, why should you expect to get mail delivered at the same price as someone who lives 1/4 mile away?

so what?

The "what" is that the accusation is obviously absurd, just like your worship of the bloodthirsty mass-murdering tyrant, Lincoln.

Last edited:
The mail doesn't have to be delivered by the Post Office. If government allowed it, 500 companies would spring up tomorrow to deliver First Class mail.

and would you want have 500 guys with a key to your box?...it is not hard to take a small package from a box....who would you blame if a package that service A claims they delivered was no longer in your box after 10 other "carriers" also were there?....that is the main reason only one Company delivers to locked boxes.....or unlocked for that matter...

No, the reason is that the federal government granted them a monopoly. Whichever company you contracted with to deliver your mail would have the key to your box.

Pretty simple solution, don't you think?

so who you going to contract?.....what company has the money to set up the infrastructure to do that?....what Company is going to want to have Postal Inspectors looking over their shoulders for foul play?.....UPS and Fed-X have already said they want no part of Letter Mail delivery.....why?.....because they know....they know exactly the headaches of going down that road....

and would you want have 500 guys with a key to your box?...it is not hard to take a small package from a box....who would you blame if a package that service A claims they delivered was no longer in your box after 10 other "carriers" also were there?....that is the main reason only one Company delivers to locked boxes.....or unlocked for that matter...

No, the reason is that the federal government granted them a monopoly. Whichever company you contracted with to deliver your mail would have the key to your box.

so who you going to contract?.....what company has the money to set up the infrastructure to do that?....what Company is going to want to have Postal Inspectors looking over their shoulders for foul play?.....UPS and Fed-X have already said they want no part of Letter Mail delivery.....why?.....because they know....they know exactly the headaches of going down that road....

Really? I've never seen anything in the news about it. I doubt any company would turn down tens of billions in potential revenue. Why would we need Postal Inspectors? Do we have inspectors at FEDEX or the UPS now? If you can trust FEDEX to deliver a computer worth $2000 to your door, why couldn't you trust them to deliver your mail? And when there are $tens of billions of dollars on the line, banks will line up to loan money to whoever demonstrates they can deliver it.

WITHOUT being fed money from taxpayers.

can you prove that?.....
HD is defending the USPS from reactionary PC right wing poo: DD's assertions have no merit and smell, as they should.

Government = service Business = profit Privatization of USPS will fail to SERVE all citizens

The unreasonable retirement requirements should be made in line with private industry.

i dont think Dave is that bad Jake.....but being that i just may be the only person in this thread who has actually been "inside" and seen how things are.....i may just know a little more than most here......

My dad was a postmaster, my wife a REC manager.

Those who have no idea what goes on at USPS and to the craft workers, and to an extent the managers, don't understand Congress is trying to ruin one of the great successes in US government history.

Really? I've never seen anything in the news about it. I doubt any company would turn down tens of billions in potential revenue. Why would we need Postal Inspectors? Do we have inspectors at FEDEX or the UPS now? If you can trust FEDEX to deliver a computer worth $2000 to your door, why couldn't you trust them to deliver your mail? And when there are $tens of billions of dollars on the line, banks will line up to loan money to whoever demonstrates they can deliver it.

bripat is an anarchist: no one is going to listen to him on business.

If private firms were allowed to deliver the mail, they could provide services like screening out junk mail. The Post Office has to deliver this trash by law.

i seriously doubt that.....do you realize how many billions of Dollars the "Junk" Mail industry generates yearly?...its one of the reasons so many want to deliver the stuff....

If people were willing to pay to have it screened out, then some private delivery service would be happy to do it.
if people right now are not willing to do that.....why would they with someone else?...plus i just cant see the company turning down millions of dollars to deliver it.....

Shuttup, you fucking commie.

if people right now are not willing to do that.....why would they with someone else?...plus i just cant see the company turning down millions of dollars to deliver it.....

Who said they aren't willing? It's against the law.

You assume the company that delivers the mail will be the same one that picks it up from the sender.

My 85-year old mother is the only one I know who still sends letters. Soon, USPS will only be utilized by junk mail. I hardly think that's a reason for a bloated and costly bureaucracy.

Years ago, I got all my bills and letters and junk mail from the USPS. Today, I get only junk mail from the USPS. It waste paper and is environmentally unfriendly. I think it is time to rethink the USPS, and how it conducts business. It reminds me of IBM, it failed to change.

Congress will not allow the Postal Service to change with the times

What is the postal service wanting to do, to change with the times?

Shuttup, you fucking commie.

:lol: To an anarchist a mainstream Republican may look like a commie.

Those arguments attacking the USPS are the ones that reveal why it should be supported, strengthened, and keep its monopoly on 1st class mail.

Forum List

Back