Why does Congress insist on destroying the Postal Service?

Really? I've never seen anything in the news about it. I doubt any company would turn down tens of billions in potential revenue. Why would we need Postal Inspectors? Do we have inspectors at FEDEX or the UPS now? If you can trust FEDEX to deliver a computer worth $2000 to your door, why couldn't you trust them to deliver your mail? And when there are $tens of billions of dollars on the line, banks will line up to loan money to whoever demonstrates they can deliver it.

bripat is an anarchist: no one is going to listen to him on business.
he has some valid points Jake.....try debating him on why you think he is wrong .....

He won't use common sense and common place definitions and terminology: never has.

I haven't mailed a letter in months. I have only one vendor who refuses to move into the 21st Century. He's the only one who insists on getting paid by check. He's in the New England area and hasn't yet set up an online payment method for his business. He mails me an invoice so I have to mail him a check.
Other than that one vendor, everyone else gets paid online.
If the USPS were to shut down, the only thing it would do is to force this one guy to finally update his account payment system.

Papageorgio was told that DC is preventing the USPS to change with the times.

No private mailing company can ever serve all the people as well as the USPS because of the dynamics: one is committed to profit, the second to service.

The constitution doesn't actually matter when it contradicts economic freedom, since in today's world, economic freedom is thousand times more important than what a bunch of big government tools thought over 200 years ago.

No private mailing company can ever serve all the people as well as the USPS because of the dynamics: one is committed to profit, the second to service.

So you assume that any for-profit business does not provide service? :cuckoo:

Providing a service and doing it better than others is the only way a business can survive.

Do UPS and Fedex not provide a service???

You are a loon, jake.

Those arguments attacking the USPS are the ones that reveal why it should be supported, strengthened, and keep its monopoly on 1st class mail.

Please explain.

Already done. The US mail is public not private interest.

Yes, it is. But nowhere does it say that only the USPS can deliver mail or that mail delivery could not be subcontracted to UPS or Fedex.

Let them bid on it, require that the winner hire X% of USPS employees, allow them to rent post office buildings and vehicles.

I think you would see better service and those companies would make a profit doing it.

How? What plan has the USPS put forward to change with the times? Has a specific vision or plan been put forward or is it just asking for money?

Last edited:
Funny how libs cling to the Constitution like grim death when it comes the Postal Service.... anything else, fuck the constitution. The pro-science, forward thinking bunch sure cling to having scraps of paper put in a little box outside their house.
:lol:

Last edited:

So you assume that any for-profit business does not provide service? :cuckoo:

Providing a service and doing it better than others is the only way a business can survive.

Do UPS and Fedex not provide a service???

You are a loon, jake.

Fakey is a government toady. They all think private business is a form of stealing, while what they do is noble and admirable.

Here's an idear!!!

Let's have a "War for the Post Office". We can start by making it illegal for any persons, companies, or Corporations from delivering first class mail!! Once we stop all competition the Post Office will be profitable!! ......oh wait.....never mind...

The Postal Service (and Congress) is a perfect example of government inefficiency and stupidity.....

What is the postal service wanting to do, to change with the times?

yes.....and basically trying to get Congress to let them sink or swim with THEIR decisions not a bunch of guys sitting in DC telling them what they can or cannot do.....ever since PMG Preston Tisch in the 80's .....in my opinion the best PMG in the history of the place even though he served as it for only 2 years....the guy told Congress to stick it and resigned....

So, again, what is the postal service wanting to do, to change with the times? You answered yes, yes what?

You said nothing. What specific plans do they want to deploy and how does it help them?

to let the people they hire to run the show....run it.....here is an example......back in the early 90's scanning technology started,such as scanning delivered parcels as delivered....UPS and Fed-x started doing it as soon as it was available....the PMG at that time was Marvin Runyon from Coke a Cola.....he wanted to do it too....but he had to go through this committee that committee....and had to get the useless "Board of Governors" to agree with him and then Congress.....meanwhile 3 years later UPS and Fed-x are already on the next Generation scanners and can keep track of the stuff they scan while the PO was just starting the process....Runyon also thought that the PO needed to be able to make at least a modest profit.....

As a Postman, who do you represent? The sender of the mail or the receiver of the mail?

The sender has paid you money to deliver a letter to a given mail box. Can you just throw it out?

RW .....there is so much junk mail returned to the PO by the Carriers each day for vacant houses or Apts or have the former residents name on the piece that it is pretty hard to keep up who is who....for the 5-6 people who ask me to it just goes in the pile.....a clerk goes through it each night to make sure no 1st Class or 3rd class forwardable mail is in there....the mailers who use names could save a hell of a lot of money if they would update their mailing lists and get the current residents name right....

My point is....can you just stop delivering certain mail to people?

You are paid to deliver a letter from point A to point B. Once delivered, the receipient can do with it what they want. But can the post office accept money to deliver 1000 circulars and ony deliver the ones that are wanted?

if the person approaches me and tells me they dont want "current" resident stuff, if they have a good reason i and most long time Regulars usually will not deliver the stuff.....but they have to have a reason like they are gone alot and the box gets crammed....this was the most popular reason....i did not do it just because the person did not want it...its not that easy......i delivered to many an Apt complex in my time.....many of the places had old style boxes that just were not big enough so i just left their savers and Advos in a stack by the boxes in an area set up by their management....i was not supposed too, but it was a choice between their mail and magazines or the Circ.....the Circ lost out.....

I haven't mailed a letter in months. I have only one vendor who refuses to move into the 21st Century. He's the only one who insists on getting paid by check. He's in the New England area and hasn't yet set up an online payment method for his business. He mails me an invoice so I have to mail him a check.
Other than that one vendor, everyone else gets paid online.
If the USPS were to shut down, the only thing it would do is to force this one guy to finally update his account payment system.

i use to have some old retired people waiting for their checks.....i used to tell them if you had Direct Deposit you would not have to be here waiting and then finding out i dont have it yet....they did not trust computers is what most of them said....what ya gonna do?...

yes.....and basically trying to get Congress to let them sink or swim with THEIR decisions not a bunch of guys sitting in DC telling them what they can or cannot do.....ever since PMG Preston Tisch in the 80's .....in my opinion the best PMG in the history of the place even though he served as it for only 2 years....the guy told Congress to stick it and resigned....

So, again, what is the postal service wanting to do, to change with the times? You answered yes, yes what?

You said nothing. What specific plans do they want to deploy and how does it help them?

to let the people they hire to run the show....run it.....here is an example......back in the early 90's scanning technology started,such as scanning delivered parcels as delivered....UPS and Fed-x started doing it as soon as it was available....the PMG at that time was Marvin Runyon from Coke a Cola.....he wanted to do it too....but he had to go through this committee that committee....and had to get the useless "Board of Governors" to agree with him and then Congress.....meanwhile 3 years later UPS and Fed-x are already on the next Generation scanners and can keep track of the stuff they scan while the PO was just starting the process....Runyon also thought that the PO needed to be able to make at least a modest profit.....

That makes sense, let those who do, make the changes and make it run smoother. Much better answer than Jake's bizarre answer. It's to bad people like him are in your corner, they tend to hurt, not help you.

The volume of mail is decreasing, what do you think can be done to help it run more efficiently and profitable? Would decreasing the number of sites help or would grouping mail boxes on routes help cut down on costs?

Please explain.

Already done. The US mail is public not private interest.

Yes, it is. But nowhere does it say that only the USPS can deliver mail or that mail delivery could not be subcontracted to UPS or Fedex.

Let them bid on it, require that the winner hire X% of USPS employees, allow them to rent post office buildings and vehicles.

I think you would see better service and those companies would make a profit doing it.

i was always for that because i would get more money.....and the biggest reason....all those useless Middle Managers and the PMG and his buddies would be the first to be canned....

How? What plan has the USPS put forward to change with the times? Has a specific vision or plan been put forward or is it just asking for money?

its not asking for more money.....its asking to have that 5 Billion Dollar yearly payment to be abolished.....

Here's an idear!!!

Let's have a "War for the Post Office". We can start by making it illegal for any persons, companies, or Corporations from delivering first class mail!! Once we stop all competition the Post Office will be profitable!! ......oh wait.....never mind...

The Postal Service (and Congress) is a perfect example of government inefficiency and stupidity.....

its not allowed to be profitable.....its supposed to break even.....Marvin Runyon PMG in the 90's said .....try running a company that makes 80 Billion Dollars a year and you are not supposed to make a profit,if you have a 40 million Dollar profit you have to spend it somewhere and most of the time that money is blown on something that is not needed....and in the 90's when he was in charge the PO was making lots of Money.....luckily for him he had lots of things to spend any surplus on like buying new vehicles and scanners....

That makes sense, let those who do, make the changes and make it run smoother. Much better answer than Jake's bizarre answer. It's to bad people like him are in your corner, they tend to hurt, not help you.

The volume of mail is decreasing, what do you think can be done to help it run more efficiently and profitable? Would decreasing the number of sites help or would grouping mail boxes on routes help cut down on costs?
hey Jake is Jake......

it would probably help if they would have some ACTUAL business people running the business side not some ex clerks and carriers.....but it is hard to get guys like that to run a billion dollar business when you have to listen to 500 people who have nothing to do with the business.....

Here's an idear!!!

its not allowed to be profitable.....its supposed to break even.....Marvin Runyon PMG in the 90's said .....try running a company that makes 80 Billion Dollars a year and you are not supposed to make a profit,if you have a 40 million Dollar profit you have to spend it somewhere and most of the time that money is blown on something that is not needed....and in the 90's when he was in charge the PO was making lots of Money.....luckily for him he had lots of things to spend any surplus on like buying new vehicles and scanners....

That is my point- the Post office is managed by nincompoops. If they are "profitable" they should be able to accrue the money in a rainy day fund. But the idiots in our Government prevent common sense reforms.

Forum List

Back