Why does Congress insist on destroying the Postal Service?

Here's an idear!!!

Let's have a "War for the Post Office". We can start by making it illegal for any persons, companies, or Corporations from delivering first class mail!! Once we stop all competition the Post Office will be profitable!! ......oh wait.....never mind...

The Postal Service (and Congress) is a perfect example of government inefficiency and stupidity.....

its not allowed to be profitable.....its supposed to break even.....Marvin Runyon PMG in the 90's said .....try running a company that makes 80 Billion Dollars a year and you are not supposed to make a profit,if you have a 40 million Dollar profit you have to spend it somewhere and most of the time that money is blown on something that is not needed....and in the 90's when he was in charge the PO was making lots of Money.....luckily for him he had lots of things to spend any surplus on like buying new vehicles and scanners....

That is my point- the Post office is managed by nincompoops. If they are "profitable" they should be able to accrue the money in a rainy day fund. But the idiots in our Government prevent common sense reforms.

They won't go after the waste. They wouldn't want to have to let someone GO. :eusa_whistle:

Britain just sold off The Royal Mail. Already delivery times have shortened. True, they don't have a constitutionally protected postal service. But, then, we no longer have an executive that pays any attention to our (former) constitution.

Our founders wanted it paid for by the people .

that is how they designed it.

why is the so called Contitutiony party being anti founder and anti constitution?

While it's nothing new to most of us that you have never actually read the constitution but here let me end the debate for you with the actual quote from the constitution.

"The Congress shall have power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;"

Ok, so TM, what this means is that is that congress CAN do things like the post office but they don't HAVE too. "Shall have power."

Then as has been described to you and many other mindless muppets a zillion or so times, the powers that Government can but don't have to exercise, are listed below. This is why it's so easily and well argued that "general welfare" is not a power, because like with the post office, the actual "powers" are laid out clearly in the correct spot.

The postal service has destroyed themselves.
Maybe once every 3 months I use them.
They will be obsolete in 20 years.
No offense to anyone but people that use snail mail are borderline illiterate.

Here's an idear!!!

Let's have a "War for the Post Office". We can start by making it illegal for any persons, companies, or Corporations from delivering first class mail!! Once we stop all competition the Post Office will be profitable!! ......oh wait.....never mind...

The Postal Service (and Congress) is a perfect example of government inefficiency and stupidity.....

its not allowed to be profitable.....its supposed to break even.....Marvin Runyon PMG in the 90's said .....try running a company that makes 80 Billion Dollars a year and you are not supposed to make a profit,if you have a 40 million Dollar profit you have to spend it somewhere and most of the time that money is blown on something that is not needed....and in the 90's when he was in charge the PO was making lots of Money.....luckily for him he had lots of things to spend any surplus on like buying new vehicles and scanners....

That is my point- the Post office is managed by nincompoops. If they are "profitable" they should be able to accrue the money in a rainy day fund. But the idiots in our Government prevent common sense reforms.

it would not matter.... Congress would take the profits and use it elsewhere...

i had a Prof of Theoretical Physics who taught at UCI on my route.....he used the PO all the time ....i bet he can rattle off things that you would not even be able to comprehend....

it would not matter.... Congress would take the profits and use it elsewhere...

I wouldn't have a problem with that. But then again, I am not a feckless politician trying to reelected every few years......:lol:

The biggest slap Congress has delivered to the USPS, though, is a 2006 decision to make the agency pre-fund its pensions for 75 years, an onerous burden not required of any other government agency, let alone adopted by any private company. Most of the USPS's losses are caused by this requirement. The other factor is the steady decline in First Class mail, as more people use the internet for routine correspondence.

The Postal Service keeps on coming up with plans to make itself profitable, or a least less unprofitable, and Congress keeps saying no or ignoring the USPS's structural issues

Close the USPS, let UPS and fedex do it. They seem to know how to deliver things all over the world and still make a profit.
the united postal service is constitutionally protected. Clause 7 article 1

This is Clause 7 article 1
To establish Post Offices and post Roads;
It doesn't say anything about 6 day service or funding retirement.
One of the USPS arguments for having exclusive rights to First Class Mail is the high level of security they have in all of their Post Offices and sort centers. I suggest that with todays technology, any company could monitor their employees and prevent theft.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but funding retirement seems like a damned good idea to me. Too bad they didn't do that in the City of Detroit and there are other cities about to suffer the same fate.

i had a Prof of Theoretical Physics who taught at UCI on my route.....he used the PO all the time ....i bet he can rattle off things that you would not even be able to comprehend....

And I am sure I can "rattle things off" from my profession that he would not be able to comprehend.
WTF does that have to do with the PO?

I don't consider stating the dismal facts "berating" Obama.

You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the ass. PROOF?... here it is: Most humans know that the country isn't "going down the tubes." The stock market has been extremely high lately and the rich ( job creators?) have done very well under Obama! They would not agree with you! Put down those video games and watch the news once in a while!

Everything you know isn't true. If a Republican pointed at the stock market or how well the rich are doing to claim the economy was doing well, Democrats would throw rotten fruit at him.

Obama has the highest average unemployment rate of any president.

Obama is a loser.

LOL... And I suppose every thing YOU know IS the truth! Heh heh heh! How soon you forget. Remember when Romney and his fickle sidekick were accusing Obama of restricting business and even going so far as to say he hated the job creators? When the stats rolled in showing how well the rich were doing an eerie silence filled the vacuum left by abandoned right wing lies. And the scales of fiction fell from the eyes of the people and they saw that jobs were not the "job creators" priority. Obama Isn't to blame for high unemployment rates...its the people who took the money and ran...the job creators.

Last edited:

And I am sure I can "rattle things off" from my profession that he would not be able to comprehend.

Here is something Rightwinger rattled off at the beginning of the OP> How did you over look it? :link: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/335182-why-does-congress-insist-on-destroying-the-postal-service.html#post8462129

well lets see....the thread is about the PO.....and you said...."No offense to anyone but people that use snail mail are borderline illiterate".....does that explain it?....is that Prof. borderline illiterate?....

Close the USPS, let UPS and fedex do it. They seem to know how to deliver things all over the world and still make a profit.

You'll have to amend the Constitution for that.

I prefer knowing there exists an agency that provides legal timestamps in a courtroom.

To this day, I do all bills and checks through the USPS, because I know there's a legal reference point., btw I'm 23 years old.

Last edited:

I prefer knowing there exists an agency that provides legal timestamps in a courtroom.

To this day, I do all bills and checks through the USPS, because I know there's a legal reference point., btw I'm 23 years old.

Sorry, but the Constitution does not require the government to have a Post Office.

Sorry, but the Constitution does not require the government to have a Post Office.

You ever read this thing??

Section 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

It just amazing you think of yourself as an American.

Section 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

I read, but I also understand. The Constitution authorizes the federal government to create a Post Office. It doesn't mandate the government to do so.

Learn the difference.

The biggest slap Congress has delivered to the USPS, though, is a 2006 decision to make the agency pre-fund its pensions for 75 years, an onerous burden not required of any other government agency, let alone adopted by any private company. Most of the USPS's losses are caused by this requirement. The other factor is the steady decline in First Class mail, as more people use the internet for routine correspondence.

The Postal Service keeps on coming up with plans to make itself profitable, or a least less unprofitable, and Congress keeps saying no or ignoring the USPS's structural issues

So is the freedom to have your own religious beliefs expressed openly according to one's own conscience, however the government seems to have placed some restrictions on that Constitutional Amendment as well. The general consensus appears to be that government is perfectly justified within itself on imposing certain "limitations", even if it appears by others to be clearly Constitutionally protected. Why should the United States Post Office be any different?

It's Article I Section 8. But it says Congress has the power to do it, not that they are obligated to.

I guess gov't regulations with mandates but no money to pay for them are a real bitch, Nutwinger. Welcome to private enterprise.

I always thought it was Nancy Pelosi and the left, who always made the point to fully embrace "choice and competition" as being good for the American people?

Section 8.

I read, but I also understand. The Constitution authorizes the federal government to create a Post Office. It doesn't mandate the government to do so.

Learn the difference.

There is no difference.

And you were completely wrong..and are now trying to play word games.

Using your logic:

To provide and maintain a navy;

Isn't a mandate..it's a suggestion!

:lol:

What a fool you are..

well lets see....the thread is about the PO.....and you said...."No offense to anyone but people that use snail mail are borderline illiterate".....does that explain it?....is that Prof. borderline illiterate?....

On sending information he is.
Why attach a stamp to a piece of paper when one can scan and e-mail it for free.
And Moe, this is not an indictment of any of the good people that work for the USPS.
Not their fault technology will leave them no longer employed with the USPS.
E-mail, bill pay and scanning is FREE.
USPS is not free and SLOW.

Section 8.

Where is that in the Bill of Rights?

Forum List

Back