Why does Congress insist on destroying the Postal Service?

If people were willing to pay to have it screened out, then some private delivery service would be happy to do it.
if people right now are not willing to do that.....why would they with someone else?...plus i just cant see the company turning down millions of dollars to deliver it.....

Who said they aren't willing? It's against the law.

You assume the company that delivers the mail will be the same one that picks it up from the sender.
its not against the law.....you can get your name taken off a mailing list....and i have had lots of people over the years ask me not to deliver ads.....

Years ago, I got all my bills and letters and junk mail from the USPS. Today, I get only junk mail from the USPS. It waste paper and is environmentally unfriendly. I think it is time to rethink the USPS, and how it conducts business. It reminds me of IBM, it failed to change.

Congress will not allow the Postal Service to change with the times

What is the postal service wanting to do, to change with the times?

yes.....and basically trying to get Congress to let them sink or swim with THEIR decisions not a bunch of guys sitting in DC telling them what they can or cannot do.....ever since PMG Preston Tisch in the 80's .....in my opinion the best PMG in the history of the place even though he served as it for only 2 years....the guy told Congress to stick it and resigned....

HD is defending the USPS from reactionary PC right wing poo: DD's assertions have no merit and smell, as they should.

Government = service Business = profit Privatization of USPS will fail to SERVE all citizens

The unreasonable retirement requirements should be made in line with private industry.

i dont think Dave is that bad Jake.....but being that i just may be the only person in this thread who has actually been "inside" and seen how things are.....i may just know a little more than most here......

My dad was a postmaster, my wife a REC manager.

Those who have no idea what goes on at USPS and to the craft workers, and to an extent the managers, don't understand Congress is trying to ruin one of the great successes in US government history.

Far left propaganda!

No, the reason is that the federal government granted them a monopoly. Whichever company you contracted with to deliver your mail would have the key to your box.

Pretty simple solution, don't you think?

so who you going to contract?.....what company has the money to set up the infrastructure to do that?....what Company is going to want to have Postal Inspectors looking over their shoulders for foul play?.....UPS and Fed-X have already said they want no part of Letter Mail delivery.....why?.....because they know....they know exactly the headaches of going down that road....

Really? I've never seen anything in the news about it. I doubt any company would turn down tens of billions in potential revenue. Why would we need Postal Inspectors? Do we have inspectors at FEDEX or the UPS now? If you can trust FEDEX to deliver a computer worth $2000 to your door, why couldn't you trust them to deliver your mail? And when there are $tens of billions of dollars on the line, banks will line up to loan money to whoever demonstrates they can deliver it.

yea really.....read the trade papers.....UPS and FED-X do not want to have their guys deliver the Mail.....to many headaches....and the Drivers i knew on my route said they had morning meetings where they discussed that when talk of privatizing the PO was in the news and they were told not going to happen.....i had 2 UPS Drivers who lived on my route.....used to look at their "Brown" Magazine....aint going to happen.....they know the problems letter delivery has.....Parcel Delivery is the future anyway,not letter delivery....

so who you going to contract?.....what company has the money to set up the infrastructure to do that?....what Company is going to want to have Postal Inspectors looking over their shoulders for foul play?.....UPS and Fed-X have already said they want no part of Letter Mail delivery.....why?.....because they know....they know exactly the headaches of going down that road....

Really? I've never seen anything in the news about it. I doubt any company would turn down tens of billions in potential revenue. Why would we need Postal Inspectors? Do we have inspectors at FEDEX or the UPS now? If you can trust FEDEX to deliver a computer worth $2000 to your door, why couldn't you trust them to deliver your mail? And when there are $tens of billions of dollars on the line, banks will line up to loan money to whoever demonstrates they can deliver it.

bripat is an anarchist: no one is going to listen to him on business.
he has some valid points Jake.....try debating him on why you think he is wrong .....

if people right now are not willing to do that.....why would they with someone else?...plus i just cant see the company turning down millions of dollars to deliver it.....

You assume the company that delivers the mail will be the same one that picks it up from the sender.
its not against the law.....you can get your name taken off a mailing list...

That's not nearly the same thing. You have to ask each vendor to remove you from their list.

.and i have had lots of people over the years ask me not to deliver ads.....

And you don't deliver junk mail to them?

yea really.....read the trade papers.....UPS and FED-X do not want to have their guys deliver the Mail

Talk is cheap. If it became legal, then there would be a a feeding frenzy to determine who got the bulk of the business. I find it hard to believe that the two companies best positioned to win it wouldn't join the fray.

.....to many headaches....

ROFL! Solving "headaches" is the main function of any business.

and the Drivers i knew on my route said they had morning meetings where they discussed that when talk of privatizing the PO was in the news and they were told not going to happen.....

That's the result of Postal Union lobbying, not because FEDEX and UPS don't want the business.

i had 2 UPS Drivers who lived on my route.....used to look at their "Brown" Magazine....aint going to happen.....they know the problems letter delivery has.....Parcel Delivery is the future anyway,not letter delivery....

Every business has "problems." Overcoming problems is the reason businesses exist. Furthermore, rank and file members do not make these decisions. The executives make the decisions.

First class delivery is dwindling. It may eventually disappear. But the truth won't be found in the Brown Magazine.

bripat is an anarchist: no one is going to listen to him on business.
he has some valid points Jake.....try debating him on why you think he is wrong .....

Fakey doesn't debate. He issues ultimatums or pontificates.

Why do amateur blogs continue to whine about things that haven't even happened while the Country is going down the tubes under Hussein/care, inept foreign policy and high unemployment rate? Camouflage perhaps? It beats talking about real issues? It seems that everybody knows how it works except the low information left. Gosh darn it, the Senate is also involved even if Harry Reid is maintaining a low profile and what's his name is still president. Are they going to work out a deal or are dumb assed left wing bloggers like Slate going to keep whining?

Everyone posting here is an amateur most likely but the only person I see whining is you.

Who else but a whiner would berate the leader of his country and post his inane foolishness for all to see? You have the right to do so but try being truthful for a change!

Why do amateur blogs continue to whine about things that haven't even happened while the Country is going down the tubes under Hussein/care, inept foreign policy and high unemployment rate? Camouflage perhaps? It beats talking about real issues? It seems that everybody knows how it works except the low information left. Gosh darn it, the Senate is also involved even if Harry Reid is maintaining a low profile and what's his name is still president. Are they going to work out a deal or are dumb assed left wing bloggers like Slate going to keep whining?

Everyone posting here is an amateur most likely but the only person I see whining is you.

Who else but a whiner would berate the leader of his country and post his inane foolishness for all to see? You have the right to do so but try being truthful for a change!

I don't consider stating the dismal facts "berating" Obama.

You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the ass. PROOF?... here it is: Most humans know that the country isn't "going down the tubes." The stock market has been extremely high lately and the rich ( job creators?) have done very well under Obama! They would not agree with you! Put down those video games and watch the news once in a while!

You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the ass. PROOF?... here it is: Most humans know that the country isn't "going down the tubes." The stock market has been extremely high lately and the rich ( job creators?) have done very well under Obama! They would not agree with you! Put down those video games and watch the news once in a while!

Everything you know isn't true. If a Republican pointed at the stock market or how well the rich are doing to claim the economy was doing well, Democrats would throw rotten fruit at him.

Obama has the highest average unemployment rate of any president.

Obama is a loser.

That's not nearly the same thing. You have to ask each vendor to remove you from their list.

no....i will only deliver anything that has their name on it....."current resident" or just addressed flyers like Penny Saver no....BUT i only did it for those on the route who i knew and asked me face to face....signs in the box box asking me to did not work,you have to come out and talk to me....there was only a handful who did that.....if the person was an asshole no..... they got everything addressed to them...

no....i will only deliver anything that has their name on it....."current resident" or just addressed flyers like Penny Saver no....BUT i only did it for those on the route who i knew and asked me face to face....signs in the box box asking me to did not work,you have to come out and talk to me....there was only a handful who did that.....if the person was an asshole no..... they got everything addressed to them...

As a Postman, who do you represent? The sender of the mail or the receiver of the mail?

The sender has paid you money to deliver a letter to a given mail box. Can you just throw it out?

yea really.....read the trade papers.....UPS and FED-X do not want to have their guys deliver the Mail

Talk is cheap. If it became legal, then there would be a a feeding frenzy to determine who got the bulk of the business. I find it hard to believe that the two companies best positioned to win it wouldn't join the fray.

ROFL! Solving "headaches" is the main function of any business.

and the Drivers i knew on my route said they had morning meetings where they discussed that when talk of privatizing the PO was in the news and they were told not going to happen.....

That's the result of Postal Union lobbying, not because FEDEX and UPS don't want the business.

i had 2 UPS Drivers who lived on my route.....used to look at their "Brown" Magazine....aint going to happen.....they know the problems letter delivery has.....Parcel Delivery is the future anyway,not letter delivery....

Every business has "problems." Overcoming problems is the reason businesses exist. Furthermore, rank and file members do not make these decisions. The executives make the decisions.

First class delivery is dwindling. It may eventually disappear. But the truth won't be found in the Brown Magazine.

Furthermore, rank and file members do not make these decisions. The executives make the decisions.

who do you think writes Brown magazine?...

As a Postman, who do you represent? The sender of the mail or the receiver of the mail?

The sender has paid you money to deliver a letter to a given mail box. Can you just throw it out?

RW .....there is so much junk mail returned to the PO by the Carriers each day for vacant houses or Apts or have the former residents name on the piece that it is pretty hard to keep up who is who....for the 5-6 people who ask me to it just goes in the pile.....a clerk goes through it each night to make sure no 1st Class or 3rd class forwardable mail is in there....the mailers who use names could save a hell of a lot of money if they would update their mailing lists and get the current residents name right....

Ask yourself why the market is doing well, it is because this government is printing lots and lots of dollars and the vast majority of it is going to the rich, that is why the middle class is struggling. Also business got a pass on Obamacare, while the middle class has been burdened with the added expense. Businesses are in a holding pattern on growth because of the health care mandate, the middle class has less disposable income because of the health care mandate. Quit drinking koolaid, and start connecting the dots.

Congress will not allow the Postal Service to change with the times

What is the postal service wanting to do, to change with the times?

yes.....and basically trying to get Congress to let them sink or swim with THEIR decisions not a bunch of guys sitting in DC telling them what they can or cannot do.....ever since PMG Preston Tisch in the 80's .....in my opinion the best PMG in the history of the place even though he served as it for only 2 years....the guy told Congress to stick it and resigned....

So, again, what is the postal service wanting to do, to change with the times? You answered yes, yes what?

You said nothing. What specific plans do they want to deploy and how does it help them?

RW .....there is so much junk mail returned to the PO by the Carriers each day for vacant houses or Apts or have the former residents name on the piece that it is pretty hard to keep up who is who....for the 5-6 people who ask me to it just goes in the pile.....a clerk goes through it each night to make sure no 1st Class or 3rd class forwardable mail is in there....the mailers who use names could save a hell of a lot of money if they would update their mailing lists and get the current residents name right....

My point is....can you just stop delivering certain mail to people?

You are paid to deliver a letter from point A to point B. Once delivered, the receipient can do with it what they want. But can the post office accept money to deliver 1000 circulars and ony deliver the ones that are wanted?

Forum List

Back