Why does USA not respect CONSUMERS?

denmark

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2018
The USA appears to have the SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE mentality toward consumers. Make a buck, or a penny, off suckers! Many prices have the 9.99 sticker on labels and advertised as such. To many Europeans that is insulting.

Also, in USA, when buying anything beyond sticker or ad or menu price, you also need to calculate the tip and tax for final payment. Cumbersome or unnecessary in civilized society, I think. In Europe, we have no need for tip and the tax is already in the price advertised. Very simple and respectful toward consumers.
Is USA more for rich business people who are greedy and care more about making more money than respecting the consumer? If so, then it is sad.

The USA appears to have the SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE mentality toward consumers. Make a buck, or a penny, off suckers! Many prices have the 9.99 sticker on labels and advertised as such. To many Europeans that is insulting.

Also, in USA, when buying anything beyond sticker or ad or menu price, you also need to calculate the tip and tax for final payment. Cumbersome or unnecessary in civilized society, I think. In Europe, we have no need for tip and the tax is already in the price advertised. Very simple and respectful toward consumers.
Is USA more for rich business people who are greedy and care more about making more money than respecting the consumer? If so, then it is sad.

Tipping is only for certain kinds of services, and in most cases, entirely voluntary. The idea is to provide an incentive to the worker providing the service, to provide good service that the customer will deem worthy of a good tip.

As for sales taxes, only a corrupt government would want it hidden in the price of goods, where it is not obvious to the consumer how much he is being taxed. Rather than be insulted about the honest way in which we Americans enjoy our economy, you should be insulted by the deceptive way that you own government rips you off.

Oh? Is that with or without VATS?

Maybe because there are so many idiot consumers in the US? I don't know about the European consumers, but a quick stroll through a Walmart will show you what we have here.

Various fads have shown how ridiculous American consumers can be.

...yes, same with cars--$29,999.....it is stupid.....why not just make it $30,000?
there are all kinds of crap ads that try to sucker you
..the funny ones on the radio ads at the end of the commercial, where the announcer for the ad has to say the preconditions really FAST!!! sounds like a tape recorder in fast forward mode ---you can't even understand them--this is really idiotic

This sticker shtick is done everywhere. A more important gage on the this subject is VAT.

We need to get rid of tipping, the employers should pay their employees.

Tipping is only for certain kinds of services, and in most cases, entirely voluntary. The idea is to provide an incentive to the worker providing the service, to provide good service that the customer will deem worthy of a good tip.

As for sales taxes, only a corrupt government would want it hidden in the price of goods, where it is not obvious to the consumer how much he is being taxed. Rather than be insulted about the honest way in which we Americans enjoy our economy, you should be insulted by the deceptive way that you own government rips you off.

Apparently, you are speaking from ignorance.
Tipping in USA may be voluntary, but now you are compelled to pay 15-20 or more percent tip instead of 10-15 percent many years ago. What is up with that? USA employer too cheap to respect workers for a decent wage? In Europe, the employer pays the worker at restaurants, and the places I have been to in Europe, besides Denmark, the service is excellent! If not, the employer would lose customers and the employee would lose their job, like in other jobs. NO NEED for customers to pay tip above that stupid x.99 price, unless they want to!

There is no deception by governments here in most European countries ... and certainly LESS deception than in USA! The VAT or other tax is clearly marked on receipt here in Denmark. VERY CONVENIENT, because we pay exact amount advertised, and we do not have constant x.99 irritating SUBTOTAL prices to deal with.

Tipping in USA may be voluntary, but now you are compelled to pay 15-20 or more percent tip instead of 10-15 percent many years ago. What is up with that? USA employer too cheap to respect workers for a decent wage? In Europe, the employer pays the worker at restaurants, and the places I have been to in Europe, besides Denmark, the service is excellent! If not, the employer would lose customers and the employee would lose their job, like in other jobs. NO NEED for customers to pay tip above that stupid x.99 price, unless they want to!

There is no deception by governments here in most European countries ... and certainly LESS deception than in USA! The VAT or other tax is clearly marked on receipt here in Denmark. VERY CONVENIENT, because we pay exact amount advertised, and we do not have constant x.99 irritating SUBTOTAL prices to deal with.
I live in Europe, and as annoying as the tax mark-up is in the US, at least taxes aren't buried there as they are here. The price is what the outlet sells the product for - fair enough.

Me smell a new Troll.......

Close-Up-on-Nose.jpg

I live in Europe, and as annoying as the tax mark-up is in the US, at least taxes aren't buried there as they are here. The price is what the outlet sells the product for - fair enough.
Buried, in Czech Republic? How so? Your country has very cheap prices, especially for tourists!

:rolleyes:

Time for employers to pay their people. First you go in and get a haircut, then you tip. Go to a restaurant and then you tip. I repeat its time for employers to pay their employees a living wage.

Are you aware you need to claim your tips.

Last edited:

Time to employers to pay their people. Fist you go in and get a haircut, then you tip. Go to a restaurant and then you tip. I repeat its time for employers to pay their employees a living wage.

Are you aware pretty much no one does and the IRS clearly looks the other way?

Which is one of the reason why. I think I made my case. People who work should pay taxes not receive cash and pay the FICA tax.

Time to employers to pay their people. Fist you go in and get a haircut, then you tip. Go to a restaurant and then you tip. I repeat its time for employers to pay their employees a living wage.

Are you aware pretty much no one does and the IRS clearly looks the other way?

Which is one of the reason why. I think I made my case. People who work should pay taxes not receive cash and pay the FICA tax.

Most employers with tipable positions do an estimated tax that employees are supposed to check each week.
For instance, in a restaurant the company estimates that a waitress will earn $150/wk in tips....they always estimate quite low. Employees regularly just let the estimate go.

Besides the semantics we are discussing..... tipable employees very-very often out-earn every other non-tipable employee in the company.
Both my kids averaged between $15-$25 an hour in tips, plus the $4/hr wage while they were in college.

Buried, in Czech Republic? How so? Your country has very cheap prices, especially for tourists!
Obviously because people usually do not register what they're paying in taxes. Prices are relatively low but taxes are high.

Denmark, until we cease permitting others to think for us, regardless of credentials pretending to overly link universities to individuals or (with reverse snobbery), disrespect those who choose to study and/or learn and/or otherwise practice to improve) we undermine our own best interests.

There are doctors believing their time's too valuable to be concerned about “politics”, “that's what WE have the AMA for; “they'll tell us what's best for the nation”.

There are those that have less concern for the taxes they directly and indirectly pay but they're obsessed with concern for their tax refund amount; which is the refunding their own over-payment of taxes. Large segments of our population believe there are “us” and labor unions; they support laws drafted to inhibit or prevent employees to effectively negotiate as organizations, thus they're actually promoting lesser wage purchasing powers for all employees. There are those unconcerned about the purchasing power of the minimum wage rate, without regard that due to “wage differentiation”, all USA labor compensation, everyone's wages are dependent upon the purchasing power of the federal minimum wage rate.

We have too much regard for our differences and insufficient consideration for our mutual interests and concerns.

Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back