Why hasn't Michael Grimm been arrested for assault?

I don't see how charges could be filed. What the jerk did was called a "conditional threat" as opposed to an imminent threat.

Big talker tough guy runs his mouth off and he should be charged? How fucking stupid.

If this incident had occurred in Flordia (with their stand your ground laws) would it have been ok for the reporter to shoot this guy after he threatened to throw him off the balcony that they were standing beside.

I think the reporter could have shot him and been ok. What you all think?

Just as soon as the Congressman took him to the ground and started beating his head to the sidewalk he should have shot him. Of course there aren't any guns to shoot with in DC unless you are a criminal.

Sticks and stones? Words are words. People should not face threat of prosecution for statements. This country has fallen into a victim state where everybody wants everyone to get along and agree. If you say something mean you should see a judge? Please. Grow a pair America.

That is what the reporter probably thought...no harm, no foul

Besides, he has already ended the guys career. Not a time to overplay your hand
I disagree.

An example must be made of this would-be Mafiosi Congressman to restore rapidly declining respect for the Press -- which directly represents the People. Reporters should not be afraid to report and they should not be threatened with violence for doing it.

What Grimm did to that reporter was in effect being done to you and me! We have a right to ask a Congressman these questions via the Press. He has no right to threaten us for doing so.

What he did was plainly criminal and this arrogant thug should be prosecuted.

If reporters represent the people, we are in serious trouble.

Quite honestly, I think we are way to sensitive as a society. The man was angry. He was never going to hurt the reporter. The Reporter clearly wasnt afraid enough to press charges, why should we?

Besides, if Grimm committed any crimes he's being investigated for, he has alot bigger probles ahead of him. He apologized. No point continuing to be upset over it.

New York Rep. Michael Grimm threatens reporter after being asked about fundraising allegations

There was an assault in the U.S. Capitol and the Capitol police do nothing?

WTF?
As Wm. Shirer explains in The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich, a primary characteristic of an emerging police state is the elite class being immune from punishment for crimes against the politically and economically powerless. Evidence of this characteristic is clearly seen in the failure of the Clinton, Bush-2, and Obama Administrations' total failure to prosecute those members of the financial elite who conspired and machinated to profit in ways which have gravely harmed and nearly collapsed the U.S. Economy.

This glaringly obvious selective contempt for the Rule of Law is an ominous indication of the direction in which American society is headed. If one person can be sentenced to prison for selling an ounce of marijuana while another (e.g., Jamie Dimon) can illegally acquire billions of dollars, pay a relatively insignificant fine, and walk away laughing, this Nation is in serious trouble.

^ that

It's sad that he wasn't arrested.

If I had done that to him, can you imagine?...

Funny. I tend to think it's sad when people are arrested.

When people can forgive each other and move on, it's far better for all than when they have to be arrested. Though I understand there is a need for that sometimes.

Last edited:
Assault

At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.

Statutory definitions of assault in the various jurisdictions throughout the United States are not substantially different from the common-law definition.

assault legal definition of assault. assault synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

“I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off, because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect, especially when I go out of my way to do that reporter a favor,” Grimm added. “I doubt that I am the first Member of Congress to tell off a reporter, and I am sure I won't be the last."

Yet he threatened to toss the guy off the balconey, then said he would break him in half because he is a boy. Hypocrite much?
This Grimm dude is a lose cannon. He needs to be kicked to the curb. Fast.

Assault

At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.

Statutory definitions of assault in the various jurisdictions throughout the United States are not substantially different from the common-law definition.

assault legal definition of assault. assault synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Again, according to the definition, it would only be a crime if the reporter was fearful of harm. There is no evidence he was. And he has chosen not to press charges.

“I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off, because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect, especially when I go out of my way to do that reporter a favor,” Grimm added. “I doubt that I am the first Member of Congress to tell off a reporter, and I am sure I won't be the last."

Yet he threatened to toss the guy off the balconey, then said he would break him in half because he is a boy. Hypocrite much?
This Grimm dude is a lose cannon. He needs to be kicked to the curb. Fast.

There is a primary in a few months if his district can find a good replacement fast.

Grimm is lucky the reporter isn't pressing charges. Shows the reporter is the bigger BOY.
Grimm is a bully. He does not belong in Congress. He needs to be patrolling alleys looking for boys to beat up.

Grimm is lucky the reporter isn't pressing charges. Shows the reporter is the bigger BOY.
Grimm is a bully. He does not belong in Congress. He needs to be patrolling alleys looking for boys to beat up.

Him and about 500 other Congressmen

New York Rep. Michael Grimm threatens reporter after being asked about fundraising allegations

WTF?

The reporter decided not to press charges and to let the interview stand. That interview and what ensued simply ended this congressman's career.

Yes, I agree with this. I believe, in order for charges to be brought, the 'victim' needs to press charges, and the reporter chose not to. But, the media spotlight on this incident, especially it being recorded on live television, will probably end his career or damage it very seriously. How will the voters feel about him next time he's up for re-election?

It's sad that he wasn't arrested.

If I had done that to him, can you imagine?...

Funny. I tend to think it's sad when people are arrested.

When people can forgive each other and move on, it's far better for all than when they have to be arrested. Though I understand there is a need for that sometimes.

Gosh, isn't it kind of sad to be standing on a balcony with the floor below far enough distant to kill you if you go over, and some big brute of a guy threatening to throw you over that balcony? That's pretty sad in my opinion. I wouldn't take such a threat lightly.

I'd bet if the reporter threatened the congressman in the same way, he'd have been arrested on the spot.

Last edited:

WTF?

Did Grimm touch the guy? Or just threaten to throw him off a balcony? I've made plenty of idle threats like that before, is it an arrestable offense? They only thing the guy was assaulted by was hot air. Stop trying to spin this into something serious.

On the other hand, why hasn't Obama been arrested for his transgressions against American citizens? Why do lawmakers and Capitol police sit there and do nothing? Remember, Obama has a pen and a phone.

Were you calling for Capitol police to arrest George W. Bush and DICK Cheney?

Forum List

Back